Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

SWORD in general is an out of nowhere favorite.

Whiz Kid. :allears:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

How Wonderful!
Jul 18, 2006

I only have excellent ideas
Words never spoken until 2021: Gee, I can't wait to see what Fabian Cortez is going to do next!

danbanana
Jun 7, 2008

OG Bell's fanboi

Gaz-L posted:

...that makes no sense given Iceman counts and he literally does. He ain't making things colder than absolute zero.

I mean, I'm just referring to the actual text so take your logic up with Hickman.

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

:hmmorks: :orks:

How Wonderful! posted:

Words never spoken until 2021: Gee, I can't wait to see what Fabian Cortez is going to do next!

I actually burst out laughing at this.

Ewing is shaping up to be one of my favorite writers ever.

Abroham Lincoln
Sep 19, 2011

Note to self: This one's the good one

Gaz-L posted:

...that makes no sense given Iceman counts and he literally does. He ain't making things colder than absolute zero.

I had to look it up and the specific text is "do they have an upper limit that can be surpassed? If no, they're omega."

And technically, Iceman's upper limit of absolute zero can't be surpassed. By himself or anyone else :v: But also scale and reach of that power would matter more.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Gaz-L posted:

He'll make those molecules stop vibrating so hard, they vibrate in reverse!

Harold Fjord
Jan 3, 2004

Endless Mike posted:

He'll make those molecules stop vibrating so hard, they vibrate in reverse!

Ice man using his power to reverse entropy, rewind time, and change the past from a particular point sounds like some perfect bullshit nonsense for marvel to pull one day

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

Harold Fjord posted:

Ice man using his power to reverse entropy, rewind time, and change the past from a particular point sounds like some perfect bullshit nonsense for marvel to pull one day

gently caress it, makes as much sense as when the Flash does it.

galagazombie
Oct 31, 2011

A silly little mouse!
What does "no upper limit" actually mean? Cause pretty much every Omega does the whole "trying to do something too crazy with my powers will make me pass out or have a stroke" thing in order to keep some semblance of tension. That seems like a pretty hard limit to me.

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

I thought Hickman redefined what "Omega-level mutant" meant to mean that what they do can't be surpassed by any non-mutant being

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

galagazombie posted:

What does "no upper limit" actually mean? Cause pretty much every Omega does the whole "trying to do something too crazy with my powers will make me pass out or have a stroke" thing in order to keep some semblance of tension. That seems like a pretty hard limit to me.
I figure it's like how, the Thing can lift what, 200 tons? And if he worked out really hard and took super-steroids and was really pissed off he might be able to make that a thousand tons, especially if he has leverage.

The Hulk has no upper limit on how strong he can be.

Quotey
Aug 16, 2006

We went out for lunch and then we stopped for some bubble tea.
TBH I don't even really understand what Hickman's Omega level is

quote:

...a mutant whose dominant power is deemed to register—or reach— an indefinable upper limit of that power's specific classification.

How do you deem that someone has reached an indefinable level of power?

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Look at all the flatscans trying to understand glorious mutant biology.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

Alaois posted:

I thought Hickman redefined what "Omega-level mutant" meant to mean that what they do can't be surpassed by any non-mutant being

That's what I got from it, especially as the case he uses as the example is Forge vs Reed Richards or Tony Stark.

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!

Beerdeer posted:

Lila Cheney has a minimum limit. She can only teleport interstellar distances. Magik could theoretically go anywhere using Limbo as a stepping stone. I’d call them both pretty Omega

Is there still only one Limbo for the entire multiverse? Does Illyana occasionally bump into alt reality versions of herself?

Cloks
Feb 1, 2013

by Azathoth
I've been reading a lot of early 2000s X-Men this weekend - Morrison's New X-Men and Austen's Uncanny X-Men, mostly.

I'm sure this isn't a new take but Austen is a terrible writer who couldn't write a realistic woman to save his life. Also, instead of writing a borderline pedophilic relationship and having characters comment on how creepy it is, you could simply not do that.

Morrison's run on New X-Men was a lot of fun but I'm relatively sure Austen's next run on X-Men is about to destroy any residual good feelings I have about Xorn. I feel like Hickman is drawing pretty heavily on some of the characters and motifs that Morrison contributed and reading the issue that Giant Size Emma Frost and Jean Grey is referencing made it really click for me.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.
Austen writes like two issues and then you have Joss Whedon's Astonishing, which is a decent book even if Whedon is a terrible human being. John Cassady artwork.

Cloks
Feb 1, 2013

by Azathoth
Oh yeah, here's Havok learning about 9/11

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.
Genosha is like 40 times worse than 9/11 in the 616.

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

Skwirl posted:

Austen writes like two issues and then you have Joss Whedon's Astonishing, which is a decent book even if Whedon is a terrible human being. John Cassady artwork.

Yeah Astonishing is really good, and was unfortunately written by Whedon. There was a lot of good stuff in that run.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Skwirl posted:

Genosha is like 40 times worse than 9/11 in the 616.

Doom only cried for the first one.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

You know I’ve heard about genosha a bunch through the years but I’ve never actually read its fall/destruction. What run was that?

Old Kentucky Shark
May 25, 2012

If you think you're gonna get sympathy from the shark, well then, you won't.

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

You know I’ve heard about genosha a bunch through the years but I’ve never actually read its fall/destruction. What run was that?

Morrison's run. New X-Men #115.

Fair warning: for as consequential as it ends up being for the X-Men, the destruction of Genosha is literally just 4 pages. As someone who didn't read it until much later, I found Morrison's run, or at least the intiial half, shockingly compressed in terms of storytelling.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
It's basically Cassandra revealing what she's done then Emma in her classroom and then getting dragged out of the aftermath in diamond form, right?

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Gaz-L posted:

It's basically Cassandra revealing what she's done then Emma in her classroom and then getting dragged out of the aftermath in diamond form, right?

Pretty much. As OKS says the immediate event is extremely brief.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

There's also panels of Xavier wearing Cerebra and in pain as number goes down

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
That scene is why I appreciated Hickman having Emma's reaction to Krakoa initially be "What the gently caress you morons, we tried this and I still have PTSD flashbacks!"

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

I mean, do we want the destruction of Genosha to take up more pages, it's a loving horrible thing. Would it be better if there was 12 pages covering the genocide of 16 million people?

How Wonderful!
Jul 18, 2006

I only have excellent ideas
There are good scenes later in the run that revisit the site of Genosha and how to do mourning on a culture-wide scale but yeah the actual attack is handled briefly, although I think very effectively. It comes out of nowhere and is over before we or the characters have a chance to really process the scale of the loss involved.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

God drat Frank Quitely is a really good artist.

ShallowKnave
Sep 9, 2011
Fun Shoe
The population count going from a large number that mentally reads as "a whole lot" to a completely visualizable 3-digit number - in a matter of minutes - is absolutely chilling.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Flying a giant fist into Magneto's face is inspired

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

"Do you want to talk to a spider, Peter?"

Reminder that the issue came out in August 2001.

thetoughestbean
Apr 27, 2013

Keep On Shroomin

Open Marriage Night posted:

Reminder that the issue came out in August 2001.

Boy it makes sense that they would do a tragedy of that scale before 9/11 and not afterwards. I was wondering why they would do such a mass genocide in the comics post 9/11.

rantmo
Jul 30, 2003

A smile better suits a hero

Hell, X-Force #4 has Juggernaut destroy part of the World Trade Center. That was a real uncomfortable re-read.

Cloks
Feb 1, 2013

by Azathoth

rantmo posted:

Hell, X-Force #4 has Juggernaut destroy part of the World Trade Center. That was a real uncomfortable re-read.

The crimson gem of cyttorak can't melt steel beams.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Around that time there was some weirdness at DC during the Invasion storyline where Lex used two, well, twin skyscrapers in Metropolis to shoot at aliens. (I'm sure it was written well before 9/11 but we got calls of 'did DC have Lex destroy the Towers?' at the store.)

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

"Do you want to talk to a spider, Peter?"

thetoughestbean posted:

Boy it makes sense that they would do a tragedy of that scale before 9/11 and not afterwards. I was wondering why they would do such a mass genocide in the comics post 9/11.

I have very vague memories of some uncomfortable “Did Grant Morrison predict 9/11” articles around the time.

Squizzle
Apr 24, 2008

morrison's new x-men actually turns 20 years old on the 16th of may, this year

is almost exactly as far from as it is from

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Edge & Christian
May 20, 2001

Earth-1145 is truly the best!
A world of singing, magic frogs,
high adventure, no shitposters
New X-Men #115 (with the destruction of Genosha) actually went on sale on July 11, 2001 (cover dated August).

Two comics that came out on September 12, 2001 were the previously alluded to Adventures of Superman #596 that featured this establishing shot:

(the actual LexTowers got their tops blown off when they were converted into a giant space cannon(?) a few weeks earlier in Action Comics#782)

The fourth issue of the Ennis/Dillon Marvel Knights Punisher series also went on sale on 9/12/2001, featuring a rogue military contractor whose plan was to "crash a 747 full of commandos into the current meeting of European leaders in Brussels." Frank uses a grenade launcher to blow up one of its engines and so the book ends with a 747 crashing into a much smaller local building instead.

There were a bunch of other comics that came out a couple of months before or after 9/11 that sparked a whole "superhero comics have come to a reckoning about mass casualty/damage plot points" that I don't think amounted to much of anything, looking at the past twenty years of comics.