Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: Nuns with Guns)

Libluini
May 18, 2012

I gravitated towards the Greens, eventually even joining the party itself.

The Linke is a party I grudgingly accept exists, but I've learned enough about DDR-history I can't bring myself to trust a party that was once the SED, a party leading the corrupt state apparatus ...
Grimey Drawer

No.1 Special posted:

The Jimquisition - I Can't Believe A Developer Tried To Kill My Channel

https://youtu.be/trIn90HTqKs

Oh yeah, I should watch this. I saw some twittering about the channel being targeted by copyright strikes and was like "hell is this poo poo?"

Nice to see the assholes in question apparently lost the battle.

What was even the endgame here, hoping Jim thinks making a new channel is too much work?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Skippy McPants
Mar 19, 2009

Even if they didn't, torpedoing their main channel would be a huge hit to their personal livelihood given how YouTube's hosed up business model works.

Skippy McPants fucked around with this message at 16:31 on Mar 22, 2021

Archer666
Dec 27, 2008

Skippy McPants posted:

Even if he didn't, torpedoing his main channel would be a huge hit to his personal livelihood given how YouTube's hosed up business model works.

Would it really, though? They make 12k off of patreon, which is their main source of income I think.

Regardless, staggering the copyright strikes to ensure a 3 strike is a hell of a poo poo move.

Archer666 fucked around with this message at 16:13 on Mar 22, 2021

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes
i am once again asking you to remember jim sterling uses they/them pronouns

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

Jamie Faith posted:

Same thing with Projared. He just went radio silence for 3 months (to the point where people were speculating he fled the country and his youtube career was over) but then he came back with that lovely video "You've been lied to!" where he went "Yes I did get nudes from my fans but I made them pinky swear they were legal so its cool guys :)" then started selling "Cancel cancel culture!" shirts and just went back to youtube business as usual.

I don’t think jontron is ever really coming back. Everyone remembers him as that dude who said nazi poo poo and ruined his career. Jared got out of it by muddying the water but I don’t think he as popular as he once was either.

Jamie Faith posted:

Yup. What a piece of poo poo. I stumbled upon his Twitter recently and he's still pretending he's woke and I just think back to that and wonder "who the hell is buying this???"

Yeah, I mean that was part of his appeal before, and I sorta suspect at times why he was able to survive him doing horrible poo poo. But than again whedon did the same poo poo but way worse and used the same shield and his rear end is kinda gone.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Archer666 posted:

Would it really, though? They make 12k off of patreon, which is their main source of income I think.

I get the impression that's not nearly as much as one thinks it is, especially post Patreon cut and taxes.

Pants Donkey
Nov 13, 2011

Jon was kicked off Game Grumps before the racist poo poo, so unless Arin wants a pivot towards fans who’ve been bitter about Jon being gone for eight years he ain’t coming back.

Skippy McPants
Mar 19, 2009

flatluigi posted:

i am once again asking you to remember jim sterling uses they/them pronouns

Edited. Sorry, am slow and stupid.

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

Dawgstar posted:

I get the impression that's not nearly as much as one thinks it is, especially post Patreon cut and taxes.

Yea while it's still a lot of money the cuts do add up. Not to mention there are a fair amount of content creators that use a chunk of their Patreon money to hire people to do editing work or other odd jobs so in that regard it's like a small business. I don't know if that's the case with Jim but it is with others for sure.

Archer666
Dec 27, 2008

Dawgstar posted:

Without knowing how much taxes are deducted, its hard to tell but I'm off the opposite opinion. 12k euros pre-tax is still a lot, even if you lose half of it to taxes and fees in the end.

Terrible Opinions
Oct 18, 2013

In this very video Sterling brings up someone who does subs for their videos, who is quite public that they are paid out of the patreon money. So there is at least some splitting going on. Which is basically how it always is whenever someone brings up patreon money as a reason why the person is too rich or something.

Terrible Opinions fucked around with this message at 16:50 on Mar 22, 2021

Vagabong
Mar 2, 2019

Dapper_Swindler posted:

I don’t think jontron is ever really coming back. Everyone remembers him as that dude who said nazi poo poo and ruined his career.

As of ten months ago he was making videos with view counts into the millions, I think its safe to say being a nazi hasn't done much to hamper his youtube career.

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

At the end of everything, hold onto anything

Fun Shoe

Terrible Opinions posted:

In this very video Sterling brings up someone who does subs for their videos, who is quite public that they are paid out of the patreon money. So there is at least some splitting going on. Which is basically how it always is whenever someone brings up patreon money as a reason why the person is too rich or something.

Laura K Buzz. Who does some great videos about accessibility and gaming.

YggiDee
Sep 12, 2007

WASP CREW
This thread is from back in 2019 but it probably still applies to the economics of being a YouTuber paid in Patreon dollars.

https://twitter.com/thelindsayellis/status/1174103117664681986?s=19

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

Dapper_Swindler posted:

I don’t think jontron is ever really coming back. Everyone remembers him as that dude who said nazi poo poo and ruined his career.

That hasn't stopped him from getting at least a million views on every video he's made since that incident :/

He's still regularly landing sponsorships too, most of his videos have him shilling for something or other

Flex Tape paid him to make two full length ads not even that long after he said the nazi poo poo

repiv fucked around with this message at 17:17 on Mar 22, 2021

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

Vagabong posted:

As of ten months ago he was making videos with view counts into the millions, I think its safe to say being a nazi hasn't done much to hamper his youtube career.

has he? i havent looked and last time i did it was infomecials basicaly and some times crossovers.

repiv posted:

That hasn't stopped him from getting at least a million views on every video he's made since that incident :/

and also getting sponsored by flextape twice for some reason

that being said, i am not shocked. he got himself a new built in audience. i just mean outside a crossover with oney plays and dumb videos on funnier people have talked about. he hasnt broken the bubble. if i remeber correctly before the 14 words, dude was actually headed places, now he is stuck. he gets buy obviously well, but he aint going higher.

Dapper_Swindler fucked around with this message at 17:13 on Mar 22, 2021

Clip-On Fedora
Feb 20, 2011

There’s also a lot of people who don’t care that he’s a racist suburbanite. They just want to see the fat man who sounds like Timone do goofy voices.

Grunch Worldflower
Nov 16, 2020
Isn't Sterling completely Patreon-funded? I thought they stopped monetization on their videos, or was that just the mainline Jimquisition stuff?

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Archer666 posted:

Without knowing how much taxes are deducted, its hard to tell but I'm off the opposite opinion. 12k euros pre-tax is still a lot, even if you lose half of it to taxes and fees in the end.

Jim lives in the US so I can promise they're getting a giant bite taken out if they don't want to be buried in taxes come... well, right now.

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

Archer666 posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z08z8IfkLh4

At this point I should probably check it out, considering how many people seem to say that its decent.

It's definitely somewhere in the middle of comic book movies. Plus its context elevates the experience since it makes the original cut feel like a fever dream. There's been a lot of offensively mediocre comic book movies and this is, despite the odds, is not one of them anymore. Whedon really did butcher this movie.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

If you happen to look into your bag and find it your thing, here's Red Letter on the... you know... movie. About the cut. Or DC superheroes, maybe. I wasn't paying attention: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vNp3Q0AfXRg

Pants Donkey
Nov 13, 2011

There is no way in hell the original Snyder cut was going to be anything like this. It’s doubled in length and has the benefit of several years of hindsight.

Acting like THIS film is what Whedon and the studio denied us is pretty unfair to Whedon.

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

Jim Sterling should change their name to Jam Sterling, not for any gender expression reasons, just because Jam is a cool name

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

Pants Donkey posted:

There is no way in hell the original Snyder cut was going to be anything like this. It’s doubled in length and has the benefit of several years of hindsight.

Acting like THIS film is what Whedon and the studio denied us is pretty unfair to Whedon.

Outside of the few minutes of scenes they filmed specifically for the cut, I imagine that had Whedon not taken over then much like BvS it woulda had an extended edition on home video eventually. Wouldn't be exactly the same but it would likely be fairly comparable.

Clip-On Fedora
Feb 20, 2011

Personally, I think Whedon is a pretty terrible dude, so I don’t really care if people are unfair to him.

Equeen
Oct 29, 2011

Pole dance~

Pants Donkey posted:

No, I will not be fair to the racist sex creep and his enablers.

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k7YVxLLIuGM

Jamie Faith
Jan 13, 2020

Alaois posted:

Jim Sterling should change their name to Jamie Sterling, not for any gender expression reasons, just because Jamie is a cool name

I agree!!!

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

Pants Donkey posted:

it is impossible to be unfair to Whedon

Bleck
Jan 7, 2014

No matter how one loves, there are always different aims. Love can take a great many forms, whatever the era.
was wearing my Starbomb shirt when I heard the stuff about Dan, I am very embittered and grossed out

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.

Pants Donkey posted:

You can directly compare the scenes that were already filmed and see that the Whedon additions/edits made them worse.

Also gently caress Whedon.

Sarcopenia
May 14, 2014

Terrible Opinions posted:

Yeah. I think that the higher quality stuff from people like Sterling, Ellis and Hbomberguy all have people on their payroll, which for Ellis atleast and I imagone the others too, includes health insurance. What they make is not a lot when you figure all that in compared to their output.

Inspector Gesicht
Oct 26, 2012

500 Zeus a body.

Id be kinder to Whedon had he not added reshoots to a movie whose principal photography was 99 percent done (the Russian family) and where he not the sleazeball Whedon.

What racist and sexist readings can be found in his work that were not openly discussed before his MeToo turning point? Buffy, Angel, Firefly, Avengers etc. Dollhouse doesn't count because there is no subtext, its all hosed up main text.

Babysitter Super Sleuth
Apr 26, 2012

my posts are as bad the Current Releases review of Gone Girl

“There’s no way this is the movie he intended to make in 2016 its way too long,” I say, speaking of the director who released an Ultimate edition version of watchmen that’s over three and a half hours long

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Sarcopenia posted:

Yeah. I think that the higher quality stuff from people like Sterling, Ellis and Hbomberguy all have people on their payroll, which for Ellis atleast and I imagone the others too, includes health insurance. What they make is not a lot when you figure all that in compared to their output.

It's been said, but it basically seems like running a small business. The bakery down the street might be pulling in a million a year or something, but almost all of that goes back into the bakery+salary and benefits for everyone so that the bakery keeps going every year. The tax situation seems fairly regressive as well, as far as people living by patreon not getting the kinds of breaks a small business might.

If some no-talent shitheap like Carl of Sargon makes a ton in patreon money for doing stream-of-consciousness rants about women and the blacks while he reads the names of the people sending him superchats and plays Mario, he's probably pocketing more of that and cheating on his taxes, but like with anything, if you're doing it right, you're not making an easy buck.

SamLikesCake
Oct 6, 2006

... and he is my navigator.
The rumor come out: does Daniel Avidan is sexpest?

Yardbomb
Jul 11, 2011

What's with the eh... bretonnian dance, sir?

SamLikesCake posted:

The rumor come out: does Daniel Avidan is sexpest?

Goddammit lol

But did we ever solve the mystery, does Bruno Mars is gay?

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth
Dany Sex-Bad

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Can we bring back steam train so Arin and Ross can suffer through more Dating Sims and Visual Novels? Arin's douchebro voice and Ross's horrendous girl voice always make me crack up.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IoK6dw07f4o

I would also settle for Ross tormenting Arin with more evil Mario Maker levels.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes
personally what little interest i ever had in watching the game grumps has sunk well into the negatives by now but you do you i guess