Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BonHair
Apr 28, 2007

Chunderbucket posted:

Warehouse contracts own, I had to sign a form affirming loyalty to the queen to move beer in a warehouse one summer :canada:

If I ever start my own company and hire people, I'm stealing this idea. Only I'll make it about the immortal science of Marxism-Leninism or something. Or just goatse.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur

BonHair posted:

If I ever start my own company and hire people, I'm stealing this idea. Only I'll make it about the immortal science of Marxism-Leninism or something. Or just goatse.

Make a rule that everyone must spank the goatse mans' photo on the way out of the break room.

The Nastier Nate
May 22, 2005

All aboard the corona bus!

HONK! HONK!

Yams Fan

Chunderbucket posted:

Warehouse contracts own, I had to sign a form affirming loyalty to the queen to move beer in a warehouse one summer :canada:

The Queen of...Beer?

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

Gorson posted:

The worst part of all of this is it's a medium sized company but they insist on implementing Six Sigma and all sorts of other initiatives that make every day business very difficult and grind production to a halt. If a manager or project manager gets involved in what you're working in watch out. They meddle to justify their jobs, and it blows everything up.

Ah, there's the problem. When you get a job that it doesn't matter if it gets done or not, then you should kick back and relax rather than gumming up the work so you can appear to be working.

Gorson
Aug 29, 2014

PostNouveau posted:

Ah, there's the problem. When you get a job that it doesn't matter if it gets done or not, then you should kick back and relax rather than gumming up the work so you can appear to be working.

Did I mention they loooooove time tracking? Every minute must be accounted for :negative:

Screaming Idiot
Nov 26, 2007

JUST POSTING WHILE JERKIN' MY GHERKIN SITTIN' IN A PERKINS!

BEATS SELLING MERKINS.

CRUSTY MINGE posted:

Make a rule that everyone must spank the goatse mans' photo on the way out of the break room.

Cut a hole in the center of the picture and determine promotions by seeing how many golf balls they can throw through it in a 30 seconds.

BonHair
Apr 28, 2007

Gorson posted:

Did I mention they loooooove time tracking? Every minute must be accounted for :negative:

Have you considered ...dishonesty?

I'm pretty honest about being early or working late and even thinking about work in my free time, and that shows on my time sheet. But that 2 hour walk and talk with a colleague where we barely mentioned work? That's work time. And I accidentally forgot that I was late today, oops. No such thing as a free lunch? Watch me!

apatheticman
May 13, 2003

Wedge Regret
Six Sigma is a tool of the devil perpetuated by another tool of the devil, MBAs.

Slotducks
Oct 16, 2008

Nobody puts Phil in a corner.

Martial Arts belt system for bean counting the most amount of profit squeezed from your employer force is the lamest poo poo I ever learned about

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

You couldn't grok my race car, but you dug the roadside blur.

CRUSTY MINGE posted:

Canadian warehouses are probably nicer than american ones. Too bad warehouse worker isn't something I can migrate there on.

E: the last warehouse job I worked, they tried implementing Sigma Six or whatever. There was a whole 4 of us in the warehouse and it wound up being a tremendous waste of time.

It's like when someone found invision free message boards and made subforum after subforum for every possible category of subject, for him and his two friends.

Rah!
Feb 21, 2006

Breakfast All Day posted:

besides the obvious "how is that different than being a landlord" response

the depressing part of it is that landlords are better at coordinating/communicating their class-interest collective behaviors like these (forcing people into the most expensive leases for their budgets because it increases rents and decreases the relative financial power of the tenant) than tenants are

lol yeah:

Small landlords need government support | More must be done to ease affordable housing providers’ financial burden

lol "affordable housing providers"

wont u think of are mom and pop landlords!!!

also some landlords are minorities so if u hate landlords ur racist!!

dumb news article posted:

She found that small landlords consistently charge below market rents. Brown applauded Wong’s terminology of “housing provider,” but remarked that she prefers the term “affordable housing providers.”

Actually, they rent their units out below market rate, because its the loving law to do that for any building built before 1979 (AKA most buildings in SF), which they would have known when they bought the buildings, unless they've owned them for 40+ years. They don't do it out of the goodness of their hearts lmao

:abuela:

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
They're acting like Below Market Rate means At A Loss which gently caress you basically

I'm so sick of the GROWTH poo poo business schools push now and how it's crept into everyone's minds.

Used to be that stocks like Coca Cola or IBM or whatever were touted as good investments because they were STABLE. Slow and steady overall growth. Now the owner of my little 8 employee small business thinks that we should have 300% year over year growth every year literally forever because he watched Fox Business and went to a seminar at the SBA or whatever

Gorson
Aug 29, 2014

BonHair posted:

Have you considered ...dishonesty?

I'm pretty honest about being early or working late and even thinking about work in my free time, and that shows on my time sheet. But that 2 hour walk and talk with a colleague where we barely mentioned work? That's work time. And I accidentally forgot that I was late today, oops. No such thing as a free lunch? Watch me!

Yup I lie like crazy on the time entries but it's a time consuming and tedious process. The irony is lost on corporations.

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Gorson posted:

Yup I lie like crazy on the time entries but it's a time consuming and tedious process. The irony is lost on corporations.

The worst I ever had was medicaid reporting. Work for a non profit and want to help people? Spend half your time on a creative writing exercise for your billable hours so your underfunded org can stay afloat. And the billing process isn't billable!

boar guy
Jan 25, 2007

i used to include a line item in monthly deliverable reporting for how many emails i'd had to answer during the month. sometimes people are astonished that they sent 80 emails that we had to address yet couldn't get any work done

Chunderbucket
Aug 31, 2006

I had a beer with Stephen Miller once and now I like him.

skooma512 posted:

It's like when someone found invision free message boards and made subforum after subforum for every possible category of subject, for him and his two friends.

half the people reading this and i are feeling very targeted rn

BonHair posted:

Part of the joy of pledging allegiance to Cthulu in our onboarding is reflected in our job benefits package - as among the first to be consumed by his incomprehensible form, you'll be spared enduring the spectacle of the sacrifice of your friends and loved ones!

And every second thursday, we get bagels!

Chunderbucket has issued a correction as of 21:00 on Mar 22, 2021

Gorson
Aug 29, 2014

The Bloop posted:

The worst I ever had was medicaid reporting. Work for a non profit and want to help people? Spend half your time on a creative writing exercise for your billable hours so your underfunded org can stay afloat. And the billing process isn't billable!

I made the point to HR and my GM that if the time entries are being fudged that the data gained from those time entries is meaningless and the entire thing should be scrapped, thus saving all those hours that go into time tracking and the gathering of data from it. Robo-HR then doubled down by ignoring logic and stating that it was one of my job duties to track time. I then told her the last person in my position to quit did so in large part due to time tracking (to be clear, I am obviously ok with tracking billable time) and asked her straight up if they were willing to lose employees due to it and after a quick reboot she responded with "yes". I shook my head, couldn't believe they would just come out and say it.

BonHair
Apr 28, 2007

boar guy posted:

i used to include a line item in monthly deliverable reporting for how many emails i'd had to answer during the month. sometimes people are astonished that they sent 80 emails that we had to address yet couldn't get any work done

I once had the pleasure of having some lawyers consult for us. They were crazy expensive and wrote very detailed bills. Like "on day x we answered your mail about stupid detail. 15 minutes, one bazzilion dollars." We quickly made it a policy to not send stupid questions and only ask actually important questions. And then we considered our life choices and found out that having a fun job with reasonable hours was better than even the ridiculous lawyer rates.

blatman
May 10, 2009

14 inc dont mez

The Nastier Nate posted:

The Queen of...Beer?

pretty sure op means Queen Elizabeth II, the one with the cool hats, terrifying driving habits and an unquenchable thirst for wayward souls that keep her alive despite being 94 and living a life of stunt driving humvees in between tea breaks

Ham Equity
Apr 16, 2013

The first thing we do, let's kill all the cars.
Grimey Drawer

Rah! posted:

lol yeah:

Small landlords need government support | More must be done to ease affordable housing providers’ financial burden

lol "affordable housing providers"

wont u think of are mom and pop landlords!!!

also some landlords are minorities so if u hate landlords ur racist!!

Actually, they rent their units out below market rate, because its the loving law to do that for any building built before 1979 (AKA most buildings in SF), which they would have known when they bought the buildings, unless they've owned them for 40+ years. They don't do it out of the goodness of their hearts lmao

:abuela:

Is this like a thing right now? Because Jason Rantz published a similar article about small landlords selling their extra homes in Seattle because of the eviction moratorium and Seattle tenant laws which 1) given the historically low inventory doesn't make any sense, and 2) made the argument that those sold homes meant fewer places for tenants to rent, without pointing out that is they weren't being rented, they were probably bring lived in, probably by people who would otherwise be renting.

I'm not linking the article, because gently caress linking two-bit small-market Rush Limbaugh wannabes.

ColtMcAsskick
Nov 7, 2010
Billable time for project work: no problem, just put all on the one code

Non-billable time for non-project work: so help you god if you do not correctly code everything to the 15+ different codes for non-project work

No one actually pays attention to what you enter, so long as that ratio of billable to non billable time doesn't exceed whatever's in your contract. Why loving bother!! It takes ages for no benefit to anyone!!!

Missing Donut
Apr 24, 2003

Trying to lead a middle-aged life. Well, it's either that or drop dead.

The Bloop posted:

I'm so sick of the GROWTH poo poo business schools push now and how it's crept into everyone's minds.

Used to be that stocks like Coca Cola or IBM or whatever were touted as good investments because they were STABLE. Slow and steady overall growth. Now the owner of my little 8 employee small business thinks that we should have 300% year over year growth every year literally forever because he watched Fox Business and went to a seminar at the SBA or whatever

The funny thing is that a small business is more likely to have 300% growth than a large business just because it’s coming from a low starting point. But if the business isn’t really unique, it’s just not going to happen. It doesn’t matter if Larry’s Tree Service is the best in the tri-state area, there’s simply not the potential for 300% growth, and even if Larry’s Tree Service had 300% growth it would choke and die on its inability to handle the growth.

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Missing Donut posted:

The funny thing is that a small business is more likely to have 300% growth than a large business just because it’s coming from a low starting point. But if the business isn’t really unique, it’s just not going to happen. It doesn’t matter if Larry’s Tree Service is the best in the tri-state area, there’s simply not the potential for 300% growth, and even if Larry’s Tree Service had 300% growth it would choke and die on its inability to handle the growth.

Plus, sure it might in year two or three but it's insane to think that's sustainable.

Can't lose basis points! Only having 200% growth the next year isn't cause to celebrate, it's 10000 points of FAILURE!

It's a brain disease

cmerepaul
Nov 28, 2005
That's not chapstick!

UnfortunateSexFart
May 18, 2008

𒃻 𒌓ð’‰𒋫 𒆷ð’€𒅅𒆷
𒆠𒂖 𒌉 𒌫 ð’®𒈠𒈾𒅗 𒂉 𒉡𒌒𒂉𒊑

I delivered papers when I was a kid and dropped a bomb in a customer's side lawn when I couldn't hold it.

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur

UnfortunateSexFart posted:

I delivered papers when I was a kid and dropped a bomb in a customer's side lawn when I couldn't hold it.

In similar fashion, I detasseled corn a few summers as a teenager and I'd just drop trou 10 feet into the field regularly. Always kept poo poo paper in my poncho.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

CRUSTY MINGE posted:

In similar fashion, I detasseled corn a few summers as a teenager and I'd just drop trou 10 feet into the field regularly. Always kept poo poo paper in my poncho.

Isn't this how you get e. coli outbreaks?

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur
I was 13-16 and walking through seed cornfields all day. Detasseling corn is part of how you produce seed corn, more corn for planting.

Wouldn't have been able to convince me to walk a half mile (more, since detasseling is just walking through cornfields all day anyhow) to a portashitter anyhow at that age.

I definitely wasn't the only one either.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

CRUSTY MINGE posted:

Eww why didn't you just leave it?

Hurt Whitey Maybe
Jun 26, 2008

I mean maybe not. Or maybe. Definitely don't kill anyone.
my work publishes target billable time so I just charge a little bit more than that every day. like thanks bosses hell yeah thank you for just telling me how much to put on my time sheet, regardless of my actual productivity.

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur

3D Megadoodoo posted:

Eww why didn't you just leave it?

I'd bury mine, but some people were especially terrible about it. Like they were raised in barns. If you think farm kids are renown for their hygiene, go to a rural county fair and walk through the 4H show barns. The kids tending animals there are the clean ones.

And yes, I'd leave my used paper, under a pile of tassels and mud, for the crickets and ants to fight over. You learn the hard way once, wiping your rear end with corn leaves isn't pleasant. Also dew settles on corn overnight, unless it's going to rain later in the day, so you wear a poncho for the first two hours and many have pockets for cigarettes and toilet paper.

Salvor_Hardin
Sep 13, 2005

I want to go protest.
Nap Ghost

Gorson posted:

I made the point to HR and my GM that if the time entries are being fudged that the data gained from those time entries is meaningless and the entire thing should be scrapped, thus saving all those hours that go into time tracking and the gathering of data from it. Robo-HR then doubled down by ignoring logic and stating that it was one of my job duties to track time. I then told her the last person in my position to quit did so in large part due to time tracking (to be clear, I am obviously ok with tracking billable time) and asked her straight up if they were willing to lose employees due to it and after a quick reboot she responded with "yes". I shook my head, couldn't believe they would just come out and say it.

I finally got a position where I don't need to track time (I'm loving salaried) but before that I just had a candid conversation with my boss that my limiting factor on output isn't time, its my ability to give a poo poo, and he let me just scale everything by that metric and multiply the percentages by 40 every week.

Hours allocation is always stupid. always.

Shipon
Nov 7, 2005

this is basically the same as the argument against gentrification at an individual level. you're saying "no you can't live here because your money is pricing poorer people out of the neighborhood"

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

Gorson posted:

It sounds like you were creating a threat to her job

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

BonHair posted:

If I ever start my own company and hire people, I'm stealing this idea. Only I'll make it about the immortal science of Marxism-Leninism or something.

I bet that's somehow illegal based on a law passed in 1916 that everyone forgot about but which will absolutely be used against you by some whiny poo poo who takes personal offense to the concept of diversity or something

The Nastier Nate
May 22, 2005

HONK! HONK!

Yams Fan
“Time working” is just such a precovid relic for anyone working from home

Yesterday I stopped “working” at 4:00 but I also started an hour earlier and took an hour worth of calls and emails between 5pm and 10 pm

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

The Nastier Nate posted:

“Time working” is just such a precovid relic for anyone working from home

Yesterday I stopped “working” at 4:00 but I also started an hour earlier and took an hour worth of calls and emails between 5pm and 10 pm

I've bolded where you hosed up, hth

(Although I like that you apparently only started your workday at 3pm)

grate deceiver
Jul 10, 2009

Just a funny av. Not a redtext or an own ok.
I work 8am - 4pm but it's really more like I hit the snooze button on my alarm 5-7 times and open the laptop around 8:15 - 8:30 once I finally drag myself over. Once 4pm hits though you bet your rear end that bitch closes faster than you can say 'full communism now'. Lmao if you even look at your work email/teams after working hours

The Nastier Nate
May 22, 2005

HONK! HONK!

Yams Fan
one other thing I've considered doing is writing basic emails during the day, something simple like asking my boss to sign off on an invoice, and scheduling them to go out at a random time like 8:36 PM so everyone thinks im working all hours into the night

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hurt Whitey Maybe
Jun 26, 2008

I mean maybe not. Or maybe. Definitely don't kill anyone.

The Nastier Nate posted:

one other thing I've considered doing is writing basic emails during the day, something simple like asking my boss to sign off on an invoice, and scheduling them to go out at a random time like 8:36 PM so everyone thinks im working all hours into the night

one of my bosses bought this hook line and sinker and wrote me a nice note saying thank you lmao