Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

FistEnergy
Nov 3, 2000

DAY CREW: WORKING HARD

Fun Shoe

Fame Douglas posted:

SPACs were terrible even before the hype, though. They're not new.

What was new was goons yelling that you couldn't possibly lose any money investing in them.

If you buy at NAV and don't hold beyond the merger vote, then yeah you really can't lose a significant amount of money. If you're spreading your money around then you're bound to pick some winners and end up in the green. Nothing about that has changed, or will change for the foreseeable future, so I'm not sure what you're talking about.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chad Sexington
May 26, 2005

I think he made a beautiful post and did a great job and he is good.
Another sideways day. At least it's not a red day!

I'm honestly surprised DA's keep coming. People are getting hyped about Ackman, but I wouldn't want to announce in this moment for SPACs.

pixaal
Jan 8, 2004

All ice cream is now for all beings, no matter how many legs.

Anyone serious didn't think the 10 to 15 50% gain train was normal. We just didn't think it'd stop so suddenly. Back to buy at $10 wait for a pop to 11-12 get out.

FistEnergy
Nov 3, 2000

Fun Shoe
Pretty good day today, thanks to NPA and AHAC.

NGAC NSH ALUS ALTU AACQ SFTW are all free money priced below 10.50 right now. If there's another tech dump I'm gonna be pissed I didn't go 100% into those.

TheWevel
Apr 14, 2002
Send Help; Trapped in Stupid Factory
https://twitter.com/firstsquawk/status/1374193853075312644?s=21

Probably not a good day for whatever SPAC was rumored to be courting Discord.

Wifi Toilet
Oct 1, 2004

Toilet Rascal
I think that was FMAC

Darth TNT
Sep 20, 2013

TheWevel posted:

https://twitter.com/firstsquawk/status/1374193853075312644?s=21

Probably not a good day for whatever SPAC was rumored to be courting Discord.

On the other hand, if the talks fail it could explode again.

wynott dunn
Aug 9, 2006

What is to be done?

Who or what can challenge, and stand a chance at beating, the corporate juggernauts dominating the world?
That was FMAC which spiked 10 -> 14 on the Twitter rumour and then bled out.

Chad Sexington
May 26, 2005

yr new gurlfrand! posted:

That was FMAC which spiked 10 -> 14 on the Twitter rumour and then bled out.

hello, yes, bag holder here!

would definitely eject if it even gets to 11 again on difficulties in talks with Microsoft

Thorn Wishes Talon
Oct 18, 2014

by Fluffdaddy
So do you guys have "gain thresholds" after which you sell? Or do you go about it in an arbitrary fashion?

I have a decent list of SPACs now, and occasionally one of them will have 5-6% total gain, and I'll think "hmm it can certainly go higher then that..." and then it goes down the next day. I wonder if the smart play is to make lots of small trades and lock in any gains possible, or just HODL.

I'm on Fidelity so I don't know if the fees are gonna gently caress me over if I buy and sell a lot, though...

Thorn Wishes Talon
Oct 18, 2014

by Fluffdaddy
Also

hail satan

Jalumibnkrayal
Apr 16, 2008

Ramrod XTreme
Morgan Stanley is now restricting SPAC purchases to accounts with $1M in assets. It will be interesting if the other brokerages follow suit.

Pilfered Pallbearers
Aug 2, 2007

Jalumibnkrayal posted:

Morgan Stanley is now restricting SPAC purchases to accounts with $1M in assets. It will be interesting if the other brokerages follow suit.

Lmao. I feel like that means this below nav correction is not going away anytime soon.

Chad Sexington
May 26, 2005

Jalumibnkrayal posted:

Can't have SPACs competing with their IPOs!

I could understand restricting buying them on margin (though really with the $10 floor they are safer than a lot of inflated tech), but this is nuts.

grenada
Apr 20, 2013
Relax.
SPACs are already margin restricted (at least at Fidelity).

Slow News Day
Jul 4, 2007

Thorn Wishes Talon posted:

So do you guys have "gain thresholds" after which you sell? Or do you go about it in an arbitrary fashion?

I have a decent list of SPACs now, and occasionally one of them will have 5-6% total gain, and I'll think "hmm it can certainly go higher then that..." and then it goes down the next day. I wonder if the smart play is to make lots of small trades and lock in any gains possible, or just HODL.

I'm on Fidelity so I don't know if the fees are gonna gently caress me over if I buy and sell a lot, though...

I'm curious about this too. Maybe the experienced folks can chime in. :)

tangy yet delightful
Sep 13, 2005

My gain threshold is currently, hey if anyone of these SPACs gets a DA or random pop above what I paid (10-11 dollar range for my purchases excepting IPOF) I'll sell and get out of them.

DoubleT2172
Sep 24, 2007

Down 6.5% on 400 shares each of SPAQ.U and SRNGU now which I basically thought wasn't possible due to the intrinsic price floor so this is a fun journey lol

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?
I’m the guy still holding GIK IPOD and IPOF.

So hey at least you all aren’t me.

DapperDraculaDeer
Aug 4, 2007

Shut up, Nick! You're not Twilight.
Don't worry guys Trump SPAC is here to save the day.

Chad Sexington
May 26, 2005

Rolo posted:

GIK is lol but I'm with you on IPOD and IPOF. I'm still in the green on them... really the only green left in the Spacfolio, but I should have sold at $16.

I was heavy into the pre-DA sub-$11 units though, so this month and next is basically just peeling the warrants off the units and wiping my rear end with them.

mischief
Jun 3, 2003

Rolo posted:

IPOE and SCVX here. It's slowly painful.

gay picnic defence
Oct 5, 2009

I'M CONCERNED ABOUT A NUMBER OF THINGS
Currently sitting on ALTU, APSG, BTAQ, CTAC, ETAC, KINZ and MTAC like a broody chicken waiting for eggs to hatch.

Except some fucker seems to have switched them for golf balls

Pilfered Pallbearers
Aug 2, 2007

Jfc some of my stuff is .30 or .40 below nav. The gently caress.

Parallelwoody
Apr 10, 2008

Much like a teenage boy on prom night that's now going to be a parent, I should have pulled out a lot earlier.

OldSenileGuy
Mar 13, 2001

gay picnic defence posted:

Currently sitting on ALTU, APSG, BTAQ, CTAC, ETAC, KINZ and MTAC like a broody chicken waiting for eggs to hatch.

I'm in the same boat, except with STWO, GRSV, FPAC, SCVX, and MTAC.

I got into each of them at around $10.50, except for SCVX which I got in at around $11.50. All of them are under 10 right now, mostly around 9.80.

None of them have had a DA yet except for GRSV, and it did absolutely nothing to the price. I don't mind waiting, I just sure hope there's a light at the end of the tunnel.

OldSenileGuy fucked around with this message at 17:16 on Mar 25, 2021

Thorn Wishes Talon
Oct 18, 2014

by Fluffdaddy

:shepicide:

DeadFatDuckFat
Oct 29, 2012

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

Yeah, I have most of those too, my friend. I think at this point, all there is to do is wait unless you want to use the funds to buy something else

Chad Sexington
May 26, 2005

The price action on warrants is pretty interesting lately. Swings of 10-15% either way seem pretty common. A more daring person than I could probably try and swing trade them, though I guess there's still pretty good downside risk since fewer and fewer things are trading above $11.50 so most warrants are useless.

Wifi Toilet
Oct 1, 2004

Toilet Rascal
Wait, all* my spacs are green today. What is this feeling, is it hope?

*Ok, not ALL, gently caress you scvx

Divot
Dec 23, 2013
I dunno if common shares going from $9.68 to $9.82 in the last hour of trading on a crazy Friday (looking at you MTAC) really counts as being 'in the green' with regard to the SPAC investment strategy laid out in this thread

I hate to say it but I think the party might be over

Divot fucked around with this message at 06:21 on Mar 27, 2021

Jalumibnkrayal
Apr 16, 2008

Ramrod XTreme
Yeah I sold all my SPACs. Good luck folks.

Nosre
Apr 16, 2002

If anything the crash over the last month makes the near-NAV strategy even better. If you're interested in these things because of the $10 floor, and basically being able to treat them as cash with upside, it's fantastic that even the best teams or great DAs can be had for 9.80-10.20.

I mean we could literally have an October 25, 1929 crash and the near-NAVs would lose very little, while still retaining the possibility that some of them will come back to 12, 15, or more.

Nosre fucked around with this message at 15:06 on Mar 27, 2021

grenada
Apr 20, 2013
Relax.
I’m still in but I also think the strategy in the OP is way too risky. Buy units or commons at 10 or don’t buy at all IMO. If everything is 10.50 and above then sit on the sidelines playing real stocks until the next SPAC pull back.

I think SPACs are fun and I don’t have to monitor my gambling account like I would with options.

wynott dunn
Aug 9, 2006

What is to be done?

Who or what can challenge, and stand a chance at beating, the corporate juggernauts dominating the world?
The SPAC pullback was a long time coming, I took small losses on my loot box SPACs and uptraded to premium SPACs as they became cheaper than my previously higher valued commons.:

It’s no CCIV profits but I’m up a few percent from a few weeks ago when every plummeted. It’s like a piggy bank with upside that I tap into to buy other more premium SPACs.

FistEnergy
Nov 3, 2000

Fun Shoe

Divot posted:

I dunno if common shares going from $9.68 to $9.82 in the last hour of trading on a crazy Friday (looking at you MTAC) really counts as being 'in the green' with regard to the SPAC investment strategy laid out in this thread

Jalumibnkrayal posted:

Yeah I sold all my SPACs. Good luck folks.

The party is absolutely not over and this would be the worst possible time to sell, when your back is against the NAV wall and you can only go up.

I've been proactively flipping NAV commons for better NAV commons with signed DAs that fell from 15-25 to 10-12 during the March crash. Even a 5% recovery puts me back in range of my ATH. A stronger recovery and my portfolio is suddenly +50%. A recovery to where things were a month ago and I'm doubled up.

For those of you not on reddit/discord, the investors and funds admitted this week that the market is totally oversaturated. Multiple new SPAC IPOs have been cancelled, and numerous DAs are allegedly postponed to renegotiate the terms and chop down the ludicrous valuations that have killed market appetite.

This is still a historic buyer's market, and my portfolio is completely repositioned to profit from market recovery. The kind of capitulation you're feeling means it's the right time to load up, not the right time to get out.

Nosre posted:

If anything the crash over the last month makes the near-NAV strategy even better. If you're interested in these things because of the $10 floor, and basically being able to treat them as cash with upside, it's fantastic that even the best teams or great DAs can be had for 9.80-10.20.

I mean we could literally have an October 25, 1929 crash and the near-NAVs would lose very little, while still retaining the possibility that some of them will come back to 12, 15, or more.

:hmmyes:

this guy Spacs

FistEnergy fucked around with this message at 16:11 on Mar 27, 2021

Tetramin
Apr 1, 2006

I'ma buck you up.
I sold FPAC to get into some other stuff, but how does that rank on the thread experts holdings? It’s below NAV right now and I think they have a smart team.

FistEnergy
Nov 3, 2000

Fun Shoe
Good pedigree, good common price. It IPOd in December so you might be waiting for 3-6 months, but it's a safe play with almost nothing but upside.

G-Mawwwwwww
Jan 31, 2003

My LPth are Hot Garbage
Biscuit Hider

Divot posted:

It's just a different kind of party now. Things definitely switched from a loot box mentality to "Buy the good poo poo now that it's at reasonable prices."

I'm down about 30% and had a poo poo month. But some of the stuff I picked up I LOVE.

CMLF. ARYA. CAPA. NPA (which will be big). STIC (which is really lower than it should be). BFT.

LOADS of IPOE. Just scads of it.

I'm way more confident in my positions, even though the valuation is reset. Short-term I got it in the back door but long-term I"m more solid.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FistEnergy
Nov 3, 2000

Fun Shoe
I heartily agree. The reset hit everyone differently, but if you loaded up on the bottom then there's a very good chance you'll be sitting pretty by summer.

Rome wasn't built in a day. Neither is a retirement nest egg!