Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Craig K
Nov 10, 2016

puck
i seem to recall certain posters demanding that joe biden do this, so good on him for it:

https://www.axios.com/ice-hotel-roo..._source=twitter

quote:

The Biden administration has awarded an $86 million contract for hotel rooms near the border to hold around 1,200 migrant family members who cross the U.S.-Mexico border, DHS officials confirmed to Axios.

Why it matters: It's a sign of growing numbers of migrant families trying to come to the U.S. — in addition to already overwhelming numbers of kids crossing the border without their parents or legal guardians. Both trends appear to be straining government resources.

The contract through Endeavors, a Texas-based nonprofit, is for six months but could be extended and expanded. The hotels will be near border areas, including in Arizona and Texas.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Oldest Man
Jul 28, 2003

Craig K posted:

i seem to recall certain posters demanding that joe biden do this, so good on him for it:

The demand was "release immigrants from concentration camps and hold them in hotels if anywhere" not "put camp overflow in hotels because we're arresting too many people for the camps to contain including the extra ones we're building even at crush capacity." Unless you're suggesting that's what's happening here.

e: in case anyone has total amnesia here, CBP and ICE using hotels to detain immigrants for convenience or extra capacity is a longstanding practice and has changed nothing about the overall trajectory of the camp system https://abcnews.go.com/Politics/wireStory/hotels-face-battle-us-house-migrants-64468700.

The Oldest Man fucked around with this message at 08:44 on Mar 21, 2021

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth
https://twitter.com/JerryDunleavy/status/1373973335541956619

Thank god the kids in cages have been replaced by kids in plastic cubes like Magneeto, this is the compassion and empathy Joe's famous for.

Fritz the Horse
Dec 26, 2019

... of course!
We knew the conditions were overcrowded and unacceptable that doesn't seem like much news other than there are photos now.

Also, they're from Project Veritas. So...

https://www.projectveritas.com/news/project-veritas-obtains-never-before-seen-images-inside-texas-detention/

quote:

Project Veritas is offering a previously unseen glimpse into those conditions, which have been kept secret from the public.

Project Veritas founder and CEO James O’Keefe visited the Donna detention facility late last week and was asked to leave the location by the facility’s staff. A staff member alleged the location was “private property” and journalists needed to keep their distance.

The Project Veritas team members that accompanied O’Keefe in Donna were able to record footage outside the facility before being asked to leave. The team subsequently obtained additional footage of the facility that was recorded in a fly over of the location.

Further complicating the situation at the border, a new Project Veritas insider working within the Department of Homeland Security [DHS] leaked documents warning of a Central American-based caravan headed to the United States.

The Oldest Man
Jul 28, 2003

1) No, they're not. They're credited in the Axios article to Henry Cueller, a Democratic rep from Texas: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Henry_Cuellar

quote:

Why it matters: Each of eight "pods" in the so-called soft-sided facility has a 260-person occupancy, said Rep. Henry Cuellar (D-Texas), who provided the photos to Axios to raise awareness about the situation. But as of Sunday, he said, one pod held more than 400 unaccompanied male minors.

2) What's your point? Does the fact that a scam propaganda outlet also took photos of the concentration camps nullify their existence? This is classic poisoning the well, in the same way as "don't repeat right wing talking points" when those talking points are factually correct.

3) Saying "it's not news" to see photos of the conditions inside our concentration camps is minimizing the concentration camps. Don't.

Handsome Ralph
Sep 3, 2004

Oh boy, posting!
That's where I'm a Viking!

sexpig by night posted:

https://twitter.com/JerryDunleavy/status/1373973335541956619

Thank god the kids in cages have been replaced by kids in plastic cubes like Magneeto, this is the compassion and empathy Joe's famous for.

Pretty sure you can post these tweets and photos showing the conditions that these kids are dealing with under Biden while adding your own substantive commentary without the weird X-Men references and white noise. If you want to keep posting in here, please keep that in mind going forward. Thanks.

studio mujahideen
May 3, 2005

Honestly that seems like a relatively restrained response to seeing those photos

my substantive commentary is that this could be the white houses #1 priority. they could be talking about it every day. there could be investigations and talk of prosecuting ICE officers. Biden could literally announce an intent to, over a long period, work to dismantle ICE! I dont expect things to happen quickly or easily, but it feels reasonable to say that I want to feel a fuckin sense of URGENCY from the white house on this, instead of measuring their balls against china or whatever

but instead we're just told "well work is slow, so try not to think about the cages and hopefully theyll be gone one day. stop agitating."

Insanite
Aug 30, 2005

Varinn posted:

Honestly that seems like a relatively restrained response to seeing those photos

my substantive commentary is that this could be the white houses #1 priority. they could be talking about it every day. there could be investigations and talk of prosecuting ICE officers. Biden could literally announce an intent to, over a long period, work to dismantle ICE! I dont expect things to happen quickly or easily, but it feels reasonable to say that I want to feel a fuckin sense of URGENCY from the white house on this, instead of measuring their balls against china or whatever

but instead we're just told "well work is slow, so try not to think about the cages and hopefully theyll be gone one day. stop agitating."

Yeah. I'd appreciate Joe delivering a short speech ASAP addressing this. You can head off outrage by directing some of that famous "empathy" at ending this, or you can continue to talk through functionaries and friendly media about how it's really a complicated issue, and it might start getting better in a few months, maybe.

Like, hell, it's still plausibly the previous guy's mess, from a PR standpoint. Own fixing it.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

Handsome Ralph posted:

Pretty sure you can post these tweets and photos showing the conditions that these kids are dealing with under Biden while adding your own substantive commentary without the weird X-Men references and white noise. If you want to keep posting in here, please keep that in mind going forward. Thanks.

okay, I hope everyone running these camps dies in pain and everyone who pretended there was no reason to assume the reason there was a press blackout on these things to hide how bad they are were either the biggest rubes on earth or just actively didn't give a poo poo about brown kids lives as soon as their team's in charge.

The press ignoring this and Joe not saying anything on this is a loving travesty that can only be taken as proof of approval of this.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

This does not make sense when, again, aggregate indicia also indicate improvements. The belief that things are worse is false. It remains false.
The photos are not providing new information.

Also it appears the process is:

1. Veritas gets photos from "anonymous source," with all assertions about them attributed to anonymous source.
2. Photos somehow get in hands of Rep Cuellar.
3. Cuellar gives them to press.

studio mujahideen
May 3, 2005

Discendo Vox posted:

Yeah, thats why they're infuriating dude!!!!

Fritz the Horse
Dec 26, 2019

... of course!

The Oldest Man posted:

1) No, they're not. They're credited in the Axios article to Henry Cueller, a Democratic rep from Texas: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Henry_Cuellar

2) What's your point? Does the fact that a scam propaganda outlet also took photos of the concentration camps nullify their existence? This is classic poisoning the well, in the same way as "don't repeat right wing talking points" when those talking points are factually correct.

Veritas is not credible, period. I did see the Axios pictures (which are different than the Veritas ones) as attributed to Cuellar. O'Keefe and Veritas are trending on Twitter and a bunch of right wing shitheads are boosting both the Axios and Veritas pictures. I'm not saying the photos or fake or from six months ago or something, just pointing out that sourcing is important. If Cuellar got them from Veritas that would be suspect.

quote:

3) Saying "it's not news" to see photos of the conditions inside our concentration camps is minimizing the concentration camps. Don't.

That's not what I said, I posted "doesn't seem like much news other than there are photos now."

For what it's worth it's important to distinguish between the three different facilities discussed recently in this thread:

-ORR camps for unaccompanied children.
-ICE housing families in hotels.
-CBP overflow facility for unaccompanied minors (pictures now being discussed)

So the photos aren't actually the ORR camps this thread was revived to discuss. The ORR camps might be worse! We don't know! That lack of access and transparency is a huge problem.

edit: oops, I missed this in the Axios article:

quote:

Cuellar, who recently visited a shelter for children, did not tour the Donna facility or take the photos himself. He said the photos were taken over the weekend.

Cuellar described the setting as "terrible conditions for the children" and said they need to be moved more rapidly into the care of the Department of Health and Human Services.

So those photos are not from Cuellar himself although he did visit a different shelter and says they are terrible conditions.

Fritz the Horse fucked around with this message at 19:52 on Mar 22, 2021

The Oldest Man
Jul 28, 2003

Fritz the Horse posted:

Veritas is not credible, period. I did see the Axios pictures (which are different than the Veritas ones) as attributed to Cuellar. O'Keefe and Veritas are trending on Twitter and a bunch of right wing shitheads are boosting both the Axios and Veritas pictures. I'm not saying the photos or fake or from six months ago or something, just pointing out that sourcing is important. If Cuellar got them from Veritas that would be suspect.

Is your supposition here that the photos are fake? That they're edited? Out of context? Please say what you "suspect" about them rather than simply emitting fog.

Piell
Sep 3, 2006

Grey Worm's Ken doll-like groin throbbed with the anticipatory pleasure that only a slightly warm and moist piece of lemoncake could offer

Young Orc

The Oldest Man posted:

Is your supposition here that the photos are fake? That they're edited? Out of context? Please say what you "suspect" about them rather than simply emitting fog.

Yes, any of those things are quite possible, its loving Project Veritas

BougieBitch
Oct 2, 2013

Basic as hell
Honestly I'm not sure what you would do to make photos like this impossible. Even if they managed to make processing only take 24 hours in most cases, that's still a long-rear end time and you can't avoid cots and lovely disposable blankets if you are worried about contagious disease. I'm still not totally clear on what role these facilities are supposed to play since "temporary overflow" is sufficiently vague. It would obviously be preferable if we did better than a tent city for places where people have to stay overnight, but the real issue is the cases where people are stuck there for a week or more, and a picture or video can't capture that. The solution, ultimately, isn't solving the things in the photo, but solving the documenting process and the family separations. The ideal form of the process still won't be a good picture - the feasible best-case would look like the BMV but partitioned beds instead of chairs for people to wait in. I hope that once the backlog of people waiting in Mexico gets processed we won't have to deal with bullshit temporary shelters, but when they sent FEMA down to provide aid it was a sure thing that it would end up looking like this - military surplus supplies and people looking like a natural disaster just hit them

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

Piell posted:

so is Cueller in on it?

The Oldest Man
Jul 28, 2003

Piell posted:

Those photos aren't from Project Veritas. That's 100% speculation based solely on the fact that both photo sets are purported to show the Donna facility. They don't even appear to have been taken at the same time of day or in the same part of the facility.

Fritz the Horse
Dec 26, 2019

... of course!

The Oldest Man posted:

Your questions seem to be directly answered in my post you quoted? I think they're real. Based on some other articles and discussion in USPol it seems like both Veritas and Cuellar got them from a third-party anonymous source. I posted that if Cuellar got them from Veritas (and therefore all of this was funneled through Veritas) we should be suspicious. Because it's loving Project Veritas, they're known liars.

The larger point is we absolutely need more transparency and access to these facilities. Like I mentioned, these photos aren't even the ORR camps, these are different CBP camps.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth
let's just do some real basic Occam's Razor poo poo here. Pick the most obvious answer:

A) These pictures that look exactly like the normal terrible standards of living we inflict on migrants in our border concentration camps that the present administration has actively prevented media from entering, almost as if they didn't want people to see that the conditions are still terrible.

or

B) a Democratic congressman teamed up with Veritas to doctor images to hurt Joe Biden

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Discussions like this are revealing about the assumptions of the people involved with them.

Any remotely rational perspective should assume that, absent hard proof otherwise, Biden is going to continue the same sort of policies as Obama (and that's being kind of generous given Biden's history). The burden should be on others to prove that he is departing from precedent. But instead, the assumption is that you should just withhold judgement pretty much indefinitely until declarations can be made with enough hindsight that it doesn't tarnish the contemporary Democratic Party.

People don't seem to understand that there are a set of assumptions that go into their belief that "we shouldn't assume anything negative about the Biden administration unless it's become a consensus talking point in the media." "Demanding proof" isn't inherently reasonable, because there's a choice there to default to the position that Biden/Democrats are probably doing the right thing. Put another way, what people see as "demanding proof that Biden is doing bad things" can also be viewed as "not demanding proof that he's not doing bad things" - there's an assumption there that "Biden not doing bad things" is the norm and that "we should expect Biden to not do bad things."

BougieBitch
Oct 2, 2013

Basic as hell

Ytlaya posted:

Discussions like this are revealing about the assumptions of the people involved with them.

Any remotely rational perspective should assume that, absent hard proof otherwise, Biden is going to continue the same sort of policies as Obama (and that's being kind of generous given Biden's history). The burden should be on others to prove that he is departing from precedent. But instead, the assumption is that you should just withhold judgement pretty much indefinitely until declarations can be made with enough hindsight that it doesn't tarnish the contemporary Democratic Party.

People don't seem to understand that there are a set of assumptions that go into their belief that "we shouldn't assume anything negative about the Biden administration unless it's become a consensus talking point in the media." "Demanding proof" isn't inherently reasonable, because there's a choice there to default to the position that Biden/Democrats are probably doing the right thing. Put another way, what people see as "demanding proof that Biden is doing bad things" can also be viewed as "not demanding proof that he's not doing bad things" - there's an assumption there that "Biden not doing bad things" is the norm and that "we should expect Biden to not do bad things."

Nobody assumes Biden is doing anything meaningfully different from Obama except where things are explicitly different in terms of literal published policy. The thing is, people are claiming that both Obama and Biden want kids to suffer and are deliberately keeping conditions bad, and that's not a question of policy but intention. They are also claiming that things could easily be better, but within the last...well let's say 30 years but really "ever" we don't have any examples of what actually good immigration policy would look like in the US. I'm not even sure that there's any specific instances you could point to since the 20th century of major countries having cohesive, inclusive immigration policy. There are a lot of steps that are self-apparent that would improve the situation, but not all of them are possible with only executive action. This is a mega thread, so it's fine to talk both about what is and what ought to be, just make sure you aren't conflating the two during discussion

Edit: Basically, in the near-term there's a lot of political questions relating to what could pass in congress, legal questions about what the Supreme Court would allow Biden to do by executive order, and practical questions about how fast things can be fixed in terms of building new facilities or moving people around the country to their families. These are entangled with moral arguments, but it's not like Biden has the lever on his desk that says "fix immigration" and he refuses to pull it - maybe the Manchin-Sinema axis collectively does with the combined votes on getting rid of the filibuster and passing whatever we would consider the ideal legislation, but that's not up to Biden.

BougieBitch fucked around with this message at 22:26 on Mar 22, 2021

studio mujahideen
May 3, 2005

BougieBitch posted:

Nobody assumes Biden is doing anything meaningfully different from Obama except where things are explicitly different in terms of literal published policy. The thing is, people are claiming that both Obama and Biden want kids to suffer and are deliberately keeping conditions bad, and that's not a question of policy but intention. They are also claiming that things could easily be better, but within the last...well let's say 30 years but really "ever" we don't have any examples of what actually good immigration policy would look like in the US. I'm not even sure that there's any specific instances you could point to since the 20th century of major countries having cohesive, inclusive immigration policy. There are a lot of steps that are self-apparent that would improve the situation, but not all of them are possible with only executive action. This is a mega thread, so it's fine to talk both about what is and what ought to be, just make sure you aren't conflating the two during discussion

The problem is that Obama and Biden are the people responsible for presenting the country with what good immigration policy looks like. We vote in presidents based on their vision for the country, not for their singular authoritative power. If they can't get it passed, fine. They should at least tell us they have a fuckin plan. Otherwise, who else? Again, Biden could be making this the thing he talks about every day. Who gives a poo poo about our dumbass foreign policy fights when we have camps at the border, frankly? Any moment talking about poo poo that doesn't matter could be talking about getting kids out of cages, or fences, or whatever the mod approved word for them is.

BougieBitch posted:

Edit: Basically, in the near-term there's a lot of political questions relating to what could pass in congress, legal questions about what the Supreme Court would allow Biden to do by executive order, and practical questions about how fast things can be fixed in terms of building new facilities or moving people around the country to their families. These are entangled with moral arguments, but it's not like Biden has the lever on his desk that says "fix immigration" and he refuses to pull it - maybe the Manchin-Sinema axis collectively does with the combined votes on getting rid of the filibuster and passing whatever we would consider the ideal legislation, but that's not up to Biden.

Not being able to fix something immediately doesn't mean it's not worth making a racket about it. Biden has the single largest platform in the US, if he wants people to care about this, to get mad, to contact their elected representatives, he should say that. Going "well its smart to not talk about this, because they'll never let him do it" is the sort of horse-race bullshit that lets politicians off the hook for doing nothing because its Just So Tactical.

studio mujahideen fucked around with this message at 22:30 on Mar 22, 2021

Willa Rogers
Mar 11, 2005

Discendo Vox posted:

Also it appears the process is:

1. Veritas gets photos from "anonymous source," with all assertions about them attributed to anonymous source.
2. Photos somehow get in hands of Rep Cuellar.
3. Cuellar gives them to press.

Has anyone come forth to state that the photos are either doctored or from under a different administration?

Willa Rogers
Mar 11, 2005

Fritz the Horse posted:

That's not what I said, I posted "doesn't seem like much news other than there are photos now."

For what it's worth it's important to distinguish between the three different facilities discussed recently in this thread:

-ORR camps for unaccompanied children.
-ICE housing families in hotels.
-CBP overflow facility for unaccompanied minors (pictures now being discussed)

So the photos aren't actually the ORR camps this thread was revived to discuss. The ORR camps might be worse! We don't know! That lack of access and transparency is a huge problem.

edit: oops, I missed this in the Axios article:

So those photos are not from Cuellar himself although he did visit a different shelter and says they are terrible conditions.

Has anyone come forth to state that the photos are either doctored or from under a different administration?

Willa Rogers
Mar 11, 2005

BougieBitch posted:

Nobody assumes Biden is doing anything meaningfully different from Obama except where things are explicitly different in terms of literal published policy. The thing is, people are claiming that both Obama and Biden want kids to suffer and are deliberately keeping conditions bad, and that's not a question of policy but intention.

Who's claiming that Biden & Obama are sadists deriving pleasure from these conditions?

And are you referring to "people in this thread" or "some randos I saw on twitter"?

the 2016 lover
May 29, 2001

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Fun Shoe
I guess its just easier to litigate meaninglessly about Project Veritas that it is to reckon with the fact that these are Biden's kids in cages

Remember when a bunch of liberals like the Pod Save America guys passed around horrendous images of kids in cages under Trump and they turned out to be pictures from the Obama era? It's not beyond conception that these are the real conditions under a Democratic presidency, in fact its very likely. Even though Biden ran on "No kids in cages" and his supporters shouted it at anyone critical of him

the 2016 lover fucked around with this message at 23:25 on Mar 22, 2021

BougieBitch
Oct 2, 2013

Basic as hell

Willa Rogers posted:

Who's claiming that Biden & Obama are sadists deriving pleasure from these conditions?

And are you referring to "people in this thread" or "some randos I saw on twitter"?

ram dass in hell posted:

[Biden workshopping new concentration camp marketing slogans] If you like your uterus, you can keep it, jack!

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Like, yeah, they caught a probe for it, but that doesn't mean it didn't happen

sexpig by night posted:

The press ignoring this and Joe not saying anything on this is a loving travesty that can only be taken as proof of approval of this.

This one is also pretty close.

BougieBitch fucked around with this message at 23:34 on Mar 22, 2021

Jaxyon
Mar 7, 2016
I’m just saying I would like to see a man beat a woman in a cage. Just to be sure.

the 2016 lover posted:

I guess its just easier to litigate meaninglessly about Project Veritas that it is to reckon with the fact that these are Biden's kids in cages

Remember when a bunch of liberals like the Pod Save America guys passed around horrendous images of kids in cages under Trump and they turned out to be pictures from the Obama era? It's not beyond conception that these are the real conditions under a Democratic presidency, in fact its very likely. Even though Biden ran on "No kids in cages" and his supporters shouted it at anyone critical of him

Pretty sure almost everybody in the thread is in agreement that there's kids in cages and that the Biden administration runs concentration camps.

I think people just saw Veritas mentioned and instantly assume there's a bunch of shady poo poo happening because that's literally what Veritas does.

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

BougieBitch posted:

Like, yeah, they caught a probe for it, but that doesn't mean it didn't happen

Tbf I think that was meant as a joke - a tasteless one, perhaps, but I don't think it was meant as anything near a statement of fact.

Judakel
Jul 29, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
The photos are disgusting and I am not aware of any time table that lays out when this will change.

BougieBitch
Oct 2, 2013

Basic as hell

Majorian posted:

Tbf I think that was meant as a joke - a tasteless one, perhaps, but I don't think it was meant as anything near a statement of fact.

Even discounting that particular post, the tenor of the conversation in USPOL that led to this thread getting revived a week ago was on the same level or more extreme. If you don't personally think that Biden is deliberately causing bad conditions then good, we agree that he's some combo of incompetent and powerless, but there are people that ARE attributing it to malice and it's not really productive to just pretend like those people aren't here just because it isn't a point you are arguing or believe other people are arguing - they can speak for themselves if they interpret this as a straw man of their position, but it's at least one possible reading of their post and I'd say a reasonable one

Edit: also, cross-quoting from USPOL, this kind of poo poo is why people need to wait a day or two for people to look into sourcing:

A big flaming stink posted:

https://twitter.com/Marcia_Brown9/status/1374049989224247299

turns out ICE/CBP/etc are once again trying to nazi it up! hmm sure seems like a bit of a problem!

also lmao

loving CNN i swear to god

Waiting a day for someone more reputable to report it isn't insane, it's pretty clearly the main news story for both conservative and liberal media now that the stimulus bill has passed and Seuss fever has worn off (I hope, christ)

Notably, the article mentions that Cuellar shared the faked video around too, so him being either gullible or complicit in laundering this kind of bullshit seems pretty likely

quote:

Jones’s footage from the shore was also shared by Reps. Chip Roy (R-TX) and Henry Cuellar (D-TX) on Twitter. Neither congressman has yet responded to a request for comment. “We have to understand and address the ‘push’ and ‘pull’ factors that lead migrants to the U.S.,” Cuellar wrote in the tweet. Cuellar also showed the video at a local roundtable event, and would not respond to local reporters’ questions about the origins of the video.

BougieBitch fucked around with this message at 00:02 on Mar 23, 2021

Fritz the Horse
Dec 26, 2019

... of course!

Jaxyon posted:

Pretty sure almost everybody in the thread is in agreement that there's kids in cages and that the Biden administration runs concentration camps.

I think people just saw Veritas mentioned and instantly assume there's a bunch of shady poo poo happening because that's literally what Veritas does.

Right, nobody is arguing that the camps are fine and okay. It's pretty clear from reports that they're overcrowded and the conditions are unacceptable.

Even if the Veritas photos are 100% legit we should still ignore them because they are lying scumbag right-wing propagandists. We have the separate photos from Cuellar, we can ignore James O'Keefe.

Don't give them even the tiniest shred of credit. If we do that it just lends credibility to the next scam they pull. Oh remember when Veritas was totally above-board and legit when they leaked photos of kids in terrible conditions crowded on the floor of a CBP facility? Maybe they're right this time, let's hear what they have to say!

https://twitter.com/dril/status/831805955402776576

edit: the solution is not to listen to Veritas, the solution is for actual legitimate journalists and observers to be allowed in to not just the CBP facilities but all of them.

Fritz the Horse fucked around with this message at 23:58 on Mar 22, 2021

the 2016 lover
May 29, 2001

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Fun Shoe

Fritz the Horse posted:

Even if the Veritas photos are 100% legit we should still ignore them because they are lying scumbag right-wing propagandists. We have the separate photos from Cuellar, we can ignore James O'Keefe.
the photos are legit and they should not be ignored for any reason

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

BougieBitch posted:

Even discounting that particular post, the tenor of the conversation in USPOL that led to this thread getting revived a week ago was on the same level or more extreme. If you don't personally think that Biden is deliberately causing bad conditions then good, we agree that he's some combo of incompetent and powerless, but there are people that ARE attributing it to malice and it's not really productive to just pretend like those people aren't here just because it isn't a point you are arguing or believe other people are arguing - they can speak for themselves if they interpret this as a straw man of their position, but it's at least one possible reading of their post and I'd say a reasonable one

Edit: also, cross-quoting from USPOL, this kind of poo poo is why people need to wait a day or two for people to look into sourcing:

Waiting a day for someone more reputable to report it isn't insane, it's pretty clearly the main news story for both conservative and liberal media now that the stimulus bill has passed and Seuss fever has worn off (I hope, christ)

Notably, the article mentions that Cuellar shared the faked video around too, so him being either gullible or complicit in laundering this kind of bullshit seems pretty likely

Joe Biden has the power to stop this and doesn't, he's either inept or approving of what's happening, either way he deserves scorn.

If the pictures really are somehow fake then the way you solve that is by letting journalists in the loving camps.

Nucleic Acids
Apr 10, 2007
Why would a democratic congressman side with Veritas? Can anyone here explain why, especially for Cuellar specifically?

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

Nucleic Acids posted:

Why would a democratic congressman side with Veritas? Can anyone here explain why, especially for Cuellar specifically?

apperently the source sent poo poo to cueller/roy/veritas and sent them different stuff. idk. i think the poo poo probably is real and loving bad and should be loving fixed. its just weird source poo poo.

Nix Panicus
Feb 25, 2007

Fritz the Horse posted:

Right, nobody is arguing that the camps are fine and okay. It's pretty clear from reports that they're overcrowded and the conditions are unacceptable.

Don't give them even the tiniest shred of credit. If we do that it just lends credibility to the next scam they pull. Oh remember when Veritas was totally above-board and legit when they leaked photos of kids in terrible conditions crowded on the floor of a CBP facility? Maybe they're right this time, let's hear what they have to say!

https://twitter.com/dril/status/831805955402776576

edit: the solution is not to listen to Veritas, the solution is for actual legitimate journalists and observers to be allowed in to not just the CBP facilities but all of them.

Why is your position that even if the photos are real, they should be ignored because they're very mean? Seems like a dumb position. True things remain true no matter who says them, even one of your dreaded enemies. I feel like you've gotten pretty deep into team sports mentality.

And if they aren't real, seems like it would require virtually no effort to arrange a press tour. They could even clean up the camp in advance to give some real nice propaganda shots, maybe pose some kids with a 'THANKS JOE WE LOVE YOU AND THIS ISNT A CONCENTRATION CAMP' sign just to clear up any confusion.

Bishyaler
Dec 30, 2009
Megamarm

BougieBitch posted:

Does it really matter what motivated the cruelty? If I'm locked in a squalid cage I'm not going to feel better if indifference or cowardice got me there instead of plain old racism. You can try to muddy the waters by equivocating about "what's really possible?", "gosh those obstructionists just won't let us do anything", and "the government is complicated and slow moving!", but we've all seen how quick both parties can move in lockstep when a defense spending bill needs to be rammed through congress. We've also seen the DNC put the screws to progressives when they step out of line.

Fixing this is possible they just aren't motivated to, which makes them little better than Trump.

BougieBitch
Oct 2, 2013

Basic as hell

Bishyaler posted:

Does it really matter what motivated the cruelty? If I'm locked in a squalid cage I'm not going to feel better if indifference or cowardice got me there instead of plain old racism. You can try to muddy the waters by equivocating about "what's really possible?", "gosh those obstructionists just won't let us do anything", and "the government is complicated and slow moving!", but we've all seen how quick both parties can move in lockstep when a defense spending bill needs to be rammed through congress. We've also seen the DNC put the screws to progressives when they step out of line.

Fixing this is possible they just aren't motivated to, which makes them little better than Trump.

So you've got four different things you are saying here but are trying to tie them into one.
1. The motivations of the people stopping better things from happening are irrelevant in comparison to just getting them solved ASAP - agreed
2. Because the defense spending bill passed, it's possible for Dems to also fix immigration - hard disagree, the reason better things aren't possible on a quick timetable is the Republicans constantly loving things up, which they obviously won't do for a defense bill
3. The DNC "putting the screws to progressives" impacts legislation - disagree. It's true that the DNC is generally a net negative influence, but the poo poo they do is related to getting people into office or out of office, I doubt you can point to any specific bill where the DNC caused any progressive votes to flip to the wrong side of an issue because the only pressure they can apply is on fundraising, and even then only on candidates that don't have enough local support to do their own. It seems like you are using the vague boogeyman of the DNC as a stand-in for whichever legislators you don't like, but you should instead call out those legislators by name - you can't bully the DNC into voting for better things because they don't vote, but you CAN bully Manchin or Sinema or whoever by organizing against them with ads/letter-writing/phone banking/etc. You can also organize against the R senators that oppose good things, especially in the places where the incumbent isnt running for reelection and the margins are relatively close.
4. Who are the "they" you are saying is little better than Trump? Do you really think there aren't ANY Senators that want better things? The problem isn't that the democrats are some sort of lockstepping hive mind, the problem is that they have exactly 50 Senators and they can't get all 50 to vote unanimously. You can argue for where the dividing line is between the poo poo and not-poo poo parts of the Democratic party are, but there are 0 Republicans that want better things (at least in the Senate, I'm not going to pretend to know about the hundreds of House members). Progressive people disengaging from politics like this gives more power to the shitlib wing of the Dems, if you want better things you need to find the people in the party that back them and throw your support behind them, whether that be verbal, shoe-leather, or monetary.

Don't pull this "both sides are the same" poo poo like you are South Park circa 2000. There are different shades of bad, and when you try to reduce it down to a binary you give up on making any gains that could help people in trouble now on the long-shot hope that something more palatable will come along in two or four years

BougieBitch fucked around with this message at 15:48 on Mar 23, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth
Remember how part of the old argument that Joe's concentration camps will be the nicer kind was that the first lady herself will be spearheading reunification taskforce stuff?

https://twitter.com/politico/status/1374380444586713091

quote:

Less than a week after her husband was sworn into office, first lady Jill Biden told a group of young Latinos during a virtual chat that her new chief of staff “will be working” on an effort to reunify migrant children separated from their families.

The remark was followed by a series of headlines proclaiming that Biden herself would monitor or lead a task force to help the families separated under President Donald Trump. Some articles even said Biden would reunite the children.

None of that has happened.

First lady Jill Biden actually has “no formal role” in the effort, according to her office. Among lawyers and advocates helping the families, her lack of involvement reinforces a broader concern about the slow pace of reunification efforts under Biden. The administration has yet to locate additional parents or announce a specific plan to unite families, as staffers instead struggle to address another problem: a surge of unaccompanied children at the border.

Woops!