Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

George H.W. Cunt
Oct 6, 2010

never thought I’d see racism in meteorology coverage but welp!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SirPablo
May 1, 2004

Pillbug

Mixed feelings/thoughts on this. Poster certainly has a point. Those are also lower income/wealth areas, not just predominantly black. Many other areas also equally underserved that have different demographics. Radars are expensive, so makes sense to put them places where you have more people/higher density to get more for the funds. Where those radars were placed was decided over three decades ago.

There have been efforts/research in the past to have small "gap filling" radars, but that's infrastructure spending and we know how that's gone in America the past half century.

Edit: this...

https://twitter.com/SDBrownWX/status/1372979302929682445?s=20

SirPablo has issued a correction as of 22:18 on Mar 20, 2021

shame on an IGA
Apr 8, 2005

I'm in that line of "without excellent coverage" through SC and it actually owns because CAE, CHS, ILM, GSP, RAX and CLT TDWR all overlap coverage there and I can keep switching sources and getting a new scan every minute or two.

Stereotype
Apr 24, 2010

College Slice
it's too bad that America is a poor backwards third world nation and can't afford weather radar.

HashtagGirlboss
Jan 4, 2005

shame on an IGA posted:

I'm in that line of "without excellent coverage" through SC and it actually owns because CAE, CHS, ILM, GSP, RAX and CLT TDWR all overlap coverage there and I can keep switching sources and getting a new scan every minute or two.

Pretty sure that’s the Pee Dee River which is like the most South Carolina name for a river

Don Pigeon
Oct 29, 2005

Great pigeons are not born great. They grow great by eating lots of bread crumbs.
Canada is even worse for radar coverage and we were just talking about how in America you at least have overlapping coverage in a lot of areas, lol...

Pryor on Fire
May 14, 2013

they don't know all alien abduction experiences can be explained by people thinking saving private ryan was a documentary

Do they even use radar for weather forecasting? What exactly do you lose in a forecast if you don't have radar close by?

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

without radar you dont know where the rain clouds are

Pryor on Fire
May 14, 2013

they don't know all alien abduction experiences can be explained by people thinking saving private ryan was a documentary

Don't satellites provide way more detail about storms? Like the NWS still issues specific and accurate tornado warnings outside of radar zones right?

shame on an IGA
Apr 8, 2005

HashtagGirlboss posted:

Pretty sure that’s the Pee Dee River which is like the most South Carolina name for a river

hell we even have two of them

WorldsStongestNerd
Apr 28, 2010

by Fluffdaddy

Pryor on Fire posted:

Don't satellites provide way more detail about storms? Like the NWS still issues specific and accurate tornado warnings outside of radar zones right?

I think you have to have the radar to tell if a storm cell is turning into a tornado. While satellites can show cloud cover I don't think it can discern rotation.

spacemang_spliff
Nov 29, 2014

wide pickle
yeah that tornado in KS was radar indicated, so if there's no radar coverage for an area you get less warning for tornados. and in this part of the country that is bad. but then again most tornados hit unpopulated areas

meowmeowmeowmeow
Jan 4, 2017
I'm no expert but I think radar gives you higher resolution and can do cloud penetration so you can get cloud or rain density, real time updates for local areas, etc. We have a radar in my city and you can see what neighborhoods are getting rain and I can pretty accurately guess if I can walk to the store without getting rained on if it's on/off throughout the day.

HashtagGirlboss
Jan 4, 2005

shame on an IGA posted:

hell we even have two of them

My favorite South Carolina river will always be the Wateree River, though, because if you say it out loud it sounds like you're just really bad at adjectives. Regardless, while the Pee Dee is definitely a very swampy stretch of water I'm very curious why it's so clearly distinct on that map, like the guy upthread said it's surrounded by several airports and there's an air force base not too far away either

Stereotype
Apr 24, 2010

College Slice
i'm not an expert, but doppler radar gives you information about vorticity that satellites don't get since doppler radar can measure orthonormal water vapor velocity (wind). radar also updates more often than satellite imagery and has much better resolution for actual rain instead of just integrated water vapor column density. you want radar for near term severe weather warning systems and you want satellites for long range weather forecasting and modelling.

SirPablo
May 1, 2004

Pillbug
I'm an expert AMA.

spacemang_spliff
Nov 29, 2014

wide pickle

SirPablo posted:

I'm an expert AMA.

Are the rumors about my local weather person true?

OK baizuo
Mar 19, 2021

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

meowmeowmeowmeow posted:

I'm no expert but I think radar gives you higher resolution and can do cloud penetration so you can get cloud or rain density, real time updates for local areas, etc. We have a radar in my city and you can see what neighborhoods are getting rain and I can pretty accurately guess if I can walk to the store without getting rained on if it's on/off throughout the day.

It's this. You can't get the kind of high resolution cross-section imagery of a specific storm from satellites that makes it possible to send out tornado warnings like with the national NEXRAD system.

SirPablo
May 1, 2004

Pillbug

spacemang_spliff posted:

Are the rumors about my local weather person true?

Worse.

SirPablo
May 1, 2004

Pillbug
Satellites are passive and observe radiation emitted by clouds. They only see the top, can't see within clouds.

Radars are active, transmitting pulses of energy that penetrate clouds. That energy gives information that allows you to infer the size/amount of precipitation and measure radial velocity. Radars also scan progressively higher into the clouds/storms, giving a sense of 3D structure.

Radar and satellite compliment each other and are both critical.

Moot .1415926535
Mar 24, 2006

Yep, that's pretty much it.
so you’re saying it’s a twister?

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

Moot .1415926535 posted:

so you’re saying it’s a twister?
(gif of cow flying across highway)

Don Pigeon
Oct 29, 2005

Great pigeons are not born great. They grow great by eating lots of bread crumbs.

Pryor on Fire posted:

Do they even use radar for weather forecasting? What exactly do you lose in a forecast if you don't have radar close by?

Radar especially helps for the very short-term forecast, like the next 3 hours. Weather forecasters also typically monitor current weather to send out alerts, so radar helps with that too.

E: radar reflectivity is also starting to be included in weather models to help determine the initial conditions.

shame on an IGA
Apr 8, 2005

HashtagGirlboss posted:

My favorite South Carolina river will always be the Wateree River, though, because if you say it out loud it sounds like you're just really bad at adjectives. Regardless, while the Pee Dee is definitely a very swampy stretch of water I'm very curious why it's so clearly distinct on that map, like the guy upthread said it's surrounded by several airports and there's an air force base not too far away either

One of my dreams in life is to see an action adventure franchise with all the characters named after SC rivers. Cooper Congaree, Ashley Saluda, Edisto Black, Petey Waccamaw all sound like total badasses.

But then there's Wateree Broad.

shirts and skins
Jun 25, 2007

Good morning!
Any thoughts itt on the GFS model upgrades? Or is this just a wait-and-see situation?

It's pretty amazing what the models can forecast these days.

Gunshow Poophole
Sep 14, 2008

OMBUDSMAN
POSTERS LOCAL 42069

Clapping Larry
for context : https://www.noaa.gov/media-release/noaa-upgrades-flagship-us-global-weather-model

cool

maybe this will be a step to improve weather apps because every one I’ve tried in the last two years has been dogshit

dark sky went to poo poo in 2019, wtforecast sucks now

SirPablo
May 1, 2004

Pillbug
I don't care so much about one model upgrade. Ensemble data is what should be looked at. (And eventually the plan is for all NCEP models to meld into one unified ensemble system both for short and long range forecasting.)

shirts and skins
Jun 25, 2007

Good morning!
Seems bad?

https://twitter.com/capitalweather/status/1375087868587220992?s=19

Koirhor
Jan 14, 2008

by Fluffdaddy

nah its actually fine and good

spacemang_spliff
Nov 29, 2014

wide pickle

Gunshow Poophole posted:

for context : https://www.noaa.gov/media-release/noaa-upgrades-flagship-us-global-weather-model

cool

maybe this will be a step to improve weather apps because every one I’ve tried in the last two years has been dogshit

dark sky went to poo poo in 2019, wtforecast sucks now

is there a good weather webzone?

I still use wunderground because I'm old and I think it's still 2007 but it doesn't seem great

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

spacemang_spliff posted:

is there a good weather webzone?

I still use wunderground because I'm old and I think it's still 2007 but it doesn't seem great

I'm pissed that they absorbed intellicast because I'm old and still think it's 2004

Luneshot
Mar 10, 2014

https://twitter.com/capitalweather/status/1375134328070492160?s=21
PDS watch is out.

RandomBlue
Dec 30, 2012

hay guys!

Biscuit Hider

drat, 95/95 probs.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

One tornado already went through part of Birmingham

shirts and skins
Jun 25, 2007

Good morning!
https://twitter.com/WBRCnews/status/1375171713495937028?s=19

SSJ_naruto_2003
Oct 12, 2012

Yeah I'm up in northwest ALand under flood warnings and tornado watch

Traxis
Jul 2, 2006

:stare:
https://twitter.com/MikeSington/status/1375367130552561666?s=19

AnEdgelord
Dec 12, 2016

Insanely lucky

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

The NWS preliminary estimate of strength on the tornado that went through Newnan, GA was an EF4

https://twitter.com/NWSAtlanta/status/1375576519586803717?s=20

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

Holy gently caress these people got so goddamn lucky. That's amazing