Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
warch
This poll is closed.
warch 68 44.44%
warch 85 55.56%
Total: 153 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

Bad Video Games
Sep 17, 2017

FirstAidKite posted:

drat now I want curry but I don't have anything to make it and never will and idk any local places I could order it from.

e: oh poo poo there is a place downtown that has curry, gonna see if I can order some for takeout tomorrow

e2: bah, google did the dumb thing where it tricked me into thinking a local restaurant had curry when really it was just including an unrelated local restaurant in the results, one that doesn't serve curry. Closest place that has it is an hour away, forget that noise.

The most expensive part about making curry is the spices if they're not already in your cupboard. The Persona 5 recipe was the first time I ever had curry and it was pretty drat good. You should give it a try.

As for Dan/Game Grumps, I really don't care since I don't even know who he is. If he's a youtuber then he's probably a piece of poo poo.

On a related note, what's the thread's opinion on Markiplier? My sin loves him so I need to know where he ranks on an rear end in a top hat scale and I didn't find anything objectionable on Google.

Edit: What a lovely snipe.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

wuggles
Jul 12, 2017

I don’t watch Markiplier but my little brother did, and my understanding is that he is very nice and wholesome. Could be wrong on that though.

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Every Youtube Eceleb and twitter poster should be thrown in a hole

For curry if your looking for Japanese style just grab the powder brick mix, that's what most the country uses and it tastes pretty decent

xedo
Nov 7, 2011

Viewtiful Jew posted:

https://nianticlabs.com/newappsignup/

Very good, a post-apocalyptic app for a post-pandemic world.

Finally, pikmin 4.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

wuggles posted:

I don’t watch Markiplier but my little brother did, and my understanding is that he is very nice and wholesome. Could be wrong on that though.

He has a mellifluous voice and that's enough to put him in a high tier in a world of shrieking children

Prop Wash
Jun 12, 2010

Gaius Marius posted:

Every Youtube Eceleb and twitter poster should be thrown in a hole

For curry if your looking for Japanese style just grab the powder brick mix, that's what most the country uses and it tastes pretty decent

Yeah absolutely no shame in starting (and perhaps even stopping) with the brick, I like Java Curry personally but Vermont Curry is said to be good for those who like milder curry

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

The shortcut I'm willing to do is getting a shaker of curry spices pre-mixed, use that for the roux in the next curry I make

Dr. Fishopolis
Aug 31, 2004

ROBOT

Walla posted:

The most expensive part about making curry is the spices if they're not already in your cupboard. The Persona 5 recipe was the first time I ever had curry and it was pretty drat good. You should give it a try.

japanese curry is even easier, it's a block of spiced roux that comes in a box, you can find it in the asian section of most grocery stores or on amazon. golden curry or vermont curry is what I usually get

also ocelot is loving juggling guns and sokolov peed himself mgs3 rules

what is going on with this sleepy motherfucker

Red Alert 2 Yuris Revenge
May 8, 2006

"My brain is amazing! It's full of wrinkles, and... Uh... Wait... What am I trying to say?"
yeah most of the time i make curry it's using golden curry because most every grocery store has it

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

I mean, if you're a successful actress and you go out of the house in a skirt and without underwear, knowing that paparazzi are just waiting for opportunities like this and that it has happened many times before, then there's really nobody you can blame for it but yourself.

Dr. Fishopolis posted:

japanese curry is even easier, it's a block of spiced roux that comes in a box, you can find it in the asian section of most grocery stores or on amazon. golden curry or vermont curry is what I usually get
It's really easy to make yourself. All you need is some garam masala, cayenne pepper, curry powder and flour. Heat in a pan with some butter until it turns brown, scrape into a heat-proof container, stays fresh for months. Just cut off a piece and use it whenever you want some curry.

hatty
Feb 28, 2011

Pork Pro
The only curry I’ve ever had was some home made Indian curry at a friends house and it was too spicy for my baby tongue. His very nice wife cooked it so I made sure to suffer through two helpings for her sake.

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

wuggles posted:

i thought he was friends with pewdiepie

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

The 7th Guest posted:

i thought he was friends with pewdiepie

I thought that was Jacksepticeye (who is in turn friends/business partners with Markplier in "gamer clothing brand" Cloak)

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Oh hey the new pikmin game I knew about almost two years ago finally got announced. Woo woo!

They did a survey of who knew what Pikmin was in my office and of 500 people in a digital field in an office in Japan like 10 people total knew what it was. 0 people working on the project knew it was an established series and thought I was bullshitting them when I talked about it and dragged me in as a subject matter expert. Iirc only 25% of Japanese gamers knew it.

Barudak fucked around with this message at 03:26 on Mar 23, 2021

Dr. Fishopolis
Aug 31, 2004

ROBOT

Cardiovorax posted:

It's really easy to make yourself. All you need is some garam masala, cayenne pepper, curry powder and flour. Heat in a pan with some butter until it turns brown, scrape into a heat-proof container, stays fresh for months. Just cut off a piece and use it whenever you want some curry.

yknow i've made delicious curry from spices before and it's great but i can never replicate the specific thing that those stupid roux blocks do

it's probably just an assload of sugar

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

I mean, if you're a successful actress and you go out of the house in a skirt and without underwear, knowing that paparazzi are just waiting for opportunities like this and that it has happened many times before, then there's really nobody you can blame for it but yourself.
90% chance the answer is "loads of MSG."

Dr. Fishopolis
Aug 31, 2004

ROBOT
lol i add MSG to everything already, it's great

but in MGS i'm just dialing para-medic on the codec over and over again to chat about all the food i've picked up so far

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

hatty posted:

The only curry I’ve ever had was some home made Indian curry at a friends house and it was too spicy for my baby tongue. His very nice wife cooked it so I made sure to suffer through two helpings for her sake.

Japanese Curry is actually derived from the british navies adaption of the indian cuisine. It's a significantly different beast from the indian type, beef stew is probably the closest thing in American cuisine.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Japanese curry is thin compared to indian and usually full of multiple ingredients and I would eat it every single day until I die no questions, Coco Ichibanya is tattooed on my soul.

Looper
Mar 1, 2012

Barudak posted:

Oh hey the new pikmin game I knew about almost two years ago finally got announced. Woo woo!

They did a survey of who knew what Pikmin was in my office and of 500 people in a digital field in an office in Japan like 10 people total knew what it was. 0 people working on the project knew it was an established series and thought I was bullshitting them when I talked about it and dragged me in as a subject matter expert. Iirc only 25% of Japanese gamers knew it.

you raised my hopes and then i saw it was a mobile game :negative:

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Looper posted:

you raised my hopes and then i saw it was a mobile game :negative:

This is why I cautioned all of you when I mentioned it years ago.

Metis of the Chat Thread
Aug 1, 2014

Waffleman_ posted:

To direct the conversation to something less unpleasant

What the gently caress has Pokemon been getting up to with these evolutions

This evolution really hosed me up, I spent ages riding around under that bridge before I realised that there's also a level requirement, and there's something complicated about the HP requirement too.

MMF Freeway
Sep 15, 2010

Later!
my favorite curry right now is from this thai place nearby that is so sweet its like I'm just drinking straight coconut milk. love it though

Instruction Manuel
May 15, 2007

Yes, it is what it looks like!

Oh neat:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nH08tT4oPJA

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010

Waffleman_ posted:

Pokémon’s had weirdass evolution conditions for a while but that’s definitely top tier. The funnier thing is that something so arcane exists in the same game that they streamlined the weird evolutions that only happen if your electric/ice/grass mon is in one specific area and levels up.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007

Waffleman_ posted:

Pokemon puzzle game where every pokemon has some tricky evolution requirement outside the standard one. There's a Slowpoke and you gotta find all sorts of stuff to chomp on it's tail, later you gotta help Slowbro-with-a-Bear-Trap win Prom King.

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

Waffleman_ posted:

Gamefreak read all those rumors about finding Mew under a truck and what not and decided to put something similar in their games.

Looper
Mar 1, 2012
the non-standard evolutions are so good. the squid that won't evolve unless you turn your ds upside down while it's leveling up, the bug that evolves normally and spawns a living husk of itself if you have an empty slot in your party, the cream that evolves into whipped cream if you spin in a circle (and has a bunch of variations based on how and when you spin)

RazzleDazzleHour
Mar 31, 2016

Yeah the weirdest things about the new Pokemon games are what they decided to streamline and what they didn't. Like, okay, you can now create a team code and upload it online to have other people try out your team without needing to do any IV stuff on your own. But if you find a shiny Pokemon in the wild and it's not a Gigantimax you can never Gigantimax it and you'll need to find another one that is both shiny and Gigantimax (they eventually fixed this but come on that was a rough year before that DLC)

also I felt like such an absolute genius as a kid where I figured out how to get to the truck with Strength and Surf without using cheats and was so pissed nothing was there. That was like the smartest thing I'd ever done

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007

quote:

A Japanese man was arrested for selling a modded Sobble from Pokemon Sword and Shield, reports Kotaku by way of Asahi News.

In April 2020, the 23-year-old Nayoga resident allegedly hacked the Sobble using his desktop PC and sold it to a Pokemon Sword and Shield player in Kyoto for 4,400 yen - which equates to $42. This is a direct violation of Japanese law under the Unfair Competition Prevention Act, which "provides measures, etc. for the prevention of unfair competition and for the compensation for loss or damage caused by unfair competition" according to Japanese Law Translation.

This crime bust wasn't orchestrated over less than $50, however. The Sobble sinner is believed to have been the head of his own Pokemon crime syndicate of sorts, earning over $10,000 by selling modded Pokemon Sword and Shield monsters. According to Asahi News, he's already confessed to the crimes, but it's unclear what sort of sentencing an elaborate Pokemon modding ring warrants.

Modding and Pokemon Sword and Shield go hand-in-hand, with modders adding "missing" Pokemon back in November 2019 to satiate players' appetite for every Pokemon from previous generations. It's unclear how that mod would be viewed under the Japanese Unfair Competition Prevention Act, but as far as we know no one has gotten arrested for beefing up their Pokedex - yet.

drat i thought my church overreacted to pokemon trading but they got the government busting people for modding

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

I mean, in all fairness, if it's being sold for real money, then it should probably be legally treated the same as any other sale of counterfeit goods would.

RazzleDazzleHour
Mar 31, 2016

Khanstant posted:

drat i thought my church overreacted to pokemon trading but they got the government busting people for modding

Nintendo basically has direct say on what laws are passed in Japan. They're pretty much single-handedly responsible for all the Japanese legislation that has banned video game rentals and shut down barcades

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
https://twitter.com/business/status/1374183042600820743 :rip:

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009

Walla posted:

It's less that and more that I don't make food that only I'm going to eat and my fiancee doesn't like spiciness of any sort, like bell peppers and onions are 2 things too spicy for her.

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009

Oh goodie, wondered when the skype treatment was gonna happen, eagerly awaiting when everyone moves on to whatever's next.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
minecraft: 2.5 billion
star wars: 4 bilIion
bethesda: 7.5 bolion
newer-mIRC: 10 big billys

i wonder if that was the whole business strategy. step 1: throw voice chat into IRC and let anyone have a server hosted for free, no cool rainbow text effects but emoji dlc included. step 2: get everyone on it step 3: someone buy us, we made the most popular version of a thing that functionally works better the more people already on it

Khanstant fucked around with this message at 05:12 on Mar 23, 2021

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

"Discord has been talking to potential buyers and software giant Microsoft is in the running, but no deal is imminent, said the people, who asked not to be identified because the discussions are private. Discord is more likely to go public than sell itself, one person said. Representatives for Microsoft and Discord declined to comment."

Sounds like a whole lotta nothing drummed up into a headline meant to get people on Twitter mad.

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k

there has never been a louder, more resounding death knell

lmao

EDIT: ^:agreed: with post above but still, that's the last thing I ever wanna see in the news if I work for Discord

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
If they intend to go public, is that any better of news? I can't imagine a lot of people pay for discord nitro monthly, are they gonna start jamming ads into the UI or chat channels?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

victrix
Oct 30, 2007

Anyone using it should already know better, but do not use or treat Discord as remotely private or secure in any way shape or form

That's now, it'll be worse in the future