Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

I'm pretty sure the guitarist for Bump of Chicken composed all the songs in Abyss that use Karma as a leitmotif. He's credited as a composer for the game and he released an album that was just guitar covers of all the songs in Abyss that use that leitmotif.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010
If Abyss wasn’t a collab OST with Go Shiina (I think that’s his name?) then yeah, it’s just further proof that the Dark Souls guy is pretty good at his job if you actually bother to ask him to try.

Also helps that Bump of Chicken owns, tbh.

edit: nevermind, Bump of Chicken still owns tho

Amppelix
Aug 6, 2010

the only proof you need that sakuraba can bring it is the entire valkyrie profile ost

Hyper Inferno
Jun 11, 2015
Listening to Golden Sun and Toadstool Tour together is something else.

I hope Arise still has multiplayer but the gameplay shown so far really doesn't look like it.

Caphi
Jan 6, 2012

INCREDIBLE
It doesn't look any less like it than any other Tales that has multiplayer, and a lot more like it than some since it hasn't had a chance to reveal any funky AI mechanics like Xillia or Zestiria.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Everyone complained when Legendia didn't have it and they've shown a willingness to shoehorn it in even when the mechanics gently caress with it or it completely breaks the camera, and it doesn't really require much devtime if you don't care about those two things, so it'll probably be in.

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

the gameplay so far hasn't shown much of anything, let alone multiplayer

Hellioning
Jun 27, 2008

They've shown gameplay?

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

Maybe like five seconds of the guy attacking some stock enemy with no UI and nobody else on the field, i think

wateyad
Nov 17, 2007

The power of the Outsider is

...dat ass
:yosbutt:
There have been a few tiny clips of combat sprinkled into the footage we've seen. The only things you can really tell from them besides "yes, this is a Tales game in the Graces / Zestiria / Berseria part of the family tree" are that there is a dodge roll and that it makes a big fiery circle on the ground when the guy switches to the fire sword.

Weird Pumpkin
Oct 7, 2007

The co-op worked pretty well in Berseria, so I hope it does come back in Arise. Honestly it's one of my favorite things about Tales games

Junpei
Oct 4, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 11 years!
Just so we don't have to share space in here, and can focus on Arise info and talking about previous games, I whipped up a thread about Scarlet Nexus:

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3962825

Unrelatedly... if Alphen doesn't have Infernal Torrent or Razing Phoenix as Artes, I'll eat my hat.

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010
Tbh I’d take Unbridled Scorn over Infernal Torrent, they’re both fiery waves of death moves and the former has a much better name.

Junpei
Oct 4, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 11 years!
Infernal Torrent has been in use since Destiny and is a classic "firey Tales of swordsman" move, Unbridled Scorn has had one user. It's gonna be it and Razing Phoenix, I promise you.

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010
Yeah, but have you considered that Unbridled Scorn sounds cool as heck? Speaking of I hope Defiant Conviction becomes a new endgame Tales sword guy/punch lady move but I’m exactly optimistic for that either.

Pseudoscorpion
Jul 26, 2011

Hi, Tales thread! I just started getting back into the series after a pretty long hiatus. Last game I played to completion was Abyss on the 3DS back in the mid-2010's, and occasionally flirted with playing some of the newer ones, but never really got into them (Graces, which I played about 10 hours of and hated every second of it, and Xillia, which I thought was... fine, what little of it I played anyway).

I'm playing Berseria right now and am enjoying it well enough, though I'm having trouble picking up the new combat system, mostly just getting through trash encounters on the back of mashing the 'choose for me' button, which... doesn't seem like the way I'm supposed to play this game. Honestly, I miss the old Symphonia/Vesperia/Abyss 70%-RPG-30%-Fightgame combat system instead of the newer 30%-RPG-70%-Fightgame ones. I'd gladly appreciate any tips folks have to make the Berseria combat (or more broadly the 'modern' Tales combat systems in general) more fun.

Really looking forward to Arise, too. drat, that game looks pretty as hell.

Caphi
Jan 6, 2012

INCREDIBLE
My first advice is try someone other than Velvet, because her mechanics are all really straightforward. The others are way more interesting if you mix up different moves and arte types.

But you're kind of right that this is new Tales, based on long long chains where individual decisions matter less than keeping up your momentum. It's not yet clear what direction Arise will go but some of the things we've heard sound promising.

Ime Berseria fans generally like it for the characters, and rate combat insofar as it's relatively stress-free.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

heres how to make berseria combat fun:

pick eizen
he can knock people down with ditch
when he knocks people down, he can do a dragon breath attack
the animation for the dragon breath is really long, but he can sidestep out of it as soon as the projectile is fired, and start doing moves while the projectile is hitting them

congrats berseria's combat now rules

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

Endorph posted:

heres how to make berseria combat fun:

pick eizen
he can knock people down with ditch
when he knocks people down, he can do a dragon breath attack
the animation for the dragon breath is really long, but he can sidestep out of it as soon as the projectile is fired, and start doing moves while the projectile is hitting them

congrats berseria's combat now rules

He can also just dive straight into them and it owns

Junpei
Oct 4, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 11 years!
if you like to feel really smart, play Rokurou and counter enemy's poo poo

The Shame Boy
Jan 27, 2014

Dead weight, just like this post.

the meme dream Rokuro combo is to do all 10 forms in one combo which i suppose you could if you started off with a counter and ended a second enemy hitting you as you get to 10?

Hunt11
Jul 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer
I just keep it simple and go all out with the rip and tear approach with Velvet.

goblin week
Jan 26, 2019

Absolute clown.
So what happened to the rhinostagros anyway?

Caphi
Jan 6, 2012

INCREDIBLE
Presumably it was purified and restored to a regular, non-demon bug and went off to live its best bug life.

SSJ_naruto_2003
Oct 12, 2012

Symphonia was the only tales game I actually played for more than a couple minutes, then I found out vesperia was on switch and got it. I feel right at home, though I don't know if the story will stand up to Symphonia, which was great for.. 2003?

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

the story will both stand up to it and yet be more disappointing than your memories of symphonia from 2003

SSJ_naruto_2003
Oct 12, 2012

Phantasium posted:

the story will both stand up to it and yet be more disappointing than your memories of symphonia from 2003

I've replayed symphonia since then, last year actually, just speaking in context of when the game came out

Tales of Woe
Dec 18, 2004

symphonia was already a pretty bland jrpg story in 2003 and it hasn't aged into anything other than that. it was a lot of peoples first and/or only contact with the series so its reputation gets inflated a bit since it gets the credit for stuff that every game in the series does well like the character writing and skits and such.

Paul Zuvella
Dec 7, 2011

Symphonia is the greatest story ever told and you get to attack and dethrone god

also I played it when I was 12.

But in all seriousness, these are all games you likely played when you were either a child or an early teen so its basically impossible for a new one to live up to your memory of it.

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug
I started Graces F again and hot drat, that game still hits all the sweet spots for me. The combat is stupid fast, skill progression is based on titles, it has no big useless ugly overword to tromp through, and crafting is always 1+1 so you never need to worry about having only four of the five ingredients for something forever.

Edit: and that crazy magic pot that automatically dispenses katsudon in vapor form or whatever.

Samurai Sanders fucked around with this message at 03:42 on Apr 20, 2021

boz
Oct 16, 2005

Paul Zuvella posted:

Symphonia is the greatest story ever told and you get to attack and dethrone god

also I played it when I was 12.

But in all seriousness, these are all games you likely played when you were either a child or an early teen so its basically impossible for a new one to live up to your memory of it.

Two games did this to me, FF7 and FF Mystic Quest

SSJ_naruto_2003
Oct 12, 2012

Tales of Woe posted:

symphonia was already a pretty bland jrpg story in 2003 and it hasn't aged into anything other than that. it was a lot of peoples first and/or only contact with the series so its reputation gets inflated a bit since it gets the credit for stuff that every game in the series does well like the character writing and skits and such.

I mean, I thought I had finished the game and then ended up being halfway through. I like the evil angels setting etc. I still like it even playing it now. So far I'm liking vesperia but I dislike yuri thinking he's smarter than everyone. At least Lloyd knee he was dumb

SSJ_naruto_2003 fucked around with this message at 05:16 on Apr 20, 2021

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.

Samurai Sanders posted:

I started Graces F again and hot drat, that game still hits all the sweet spots for me. The combat is stupid fast, skill progression is based on titles, it has no big useless ugly overword to tromp through, and crafting is always 1+1 so you never need to worry about having only four of the five ingredients for something forever.

Edit: and that crazy magic pot that automatically dispenses katsudon in vapor form or whatever.

Graces F is great (at least what I can remember of it) and I'm praying for a Switch port. I do remember not liking how the Future arc ended, but that was just me.

Hunt11
Jul 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer
The gameplay of Graces is great but the story has major issues.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Eh, the story's kinda bad but it's also pretty like, breezy? It never takes party members away from you for long stretches, it neevr makes you do an entire second loop around the world, it manages to have enough forward momentum that it feels like an adventure, the characters wind up in fun places and scenarios. The main antagonist and the conflict with them is handled kinda stupidly and Asbel doesn't really grow as a character or anything (frankly there's like 5 scenes total where he manages to have a personality,) but the cast is likable and funny. I prefer it to Vesperia or Symphonia's story by a mile. Their writing's of a similar quality but Graces makes way less sacrifices to tell the story its trying to tell.

Hunt11
Jul 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer
It handles the story better then Vesperia but that is more because it never seems to be going somewhere interesting before loving it up.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Hunt11 posted:

It handles the story better then Vesperia but that is more because it never seems to be going somewhere interesting before loving it up.

i mean it also doesnt take away one of the main party members for like 30% of the game

Hunt11
Jul 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Endorph posted:

i mean it also doesnt take away one of the main party members for like 30% of the game

Lets be fair here. It doesn't take away just any member of your party, it takes away your main party healer with an extra gently caress you of your secondary healer being missing for a dungeon during that time span as well.

Tired Moritz
Mar 25, 2012

wish Lowtax would get tired of YOUR POSTS

(n o i c e)
Should have used the best boy Karol

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.

Endorph posted:

Eh, the story's kinda bad but it's also pretty like, breezy? It never takes party members away from you for long stretches, it neevr makes you do an entire second loop around the world, it manages to have enough forward momentum that it feels like an adventure, the characters wind up in fun places and scenarios. The main antagonist and the conflict with them is handled kinda stupidly and Asbel doesn't really grow as a character or anything (frankly there's like 5 scenes total where he manages to have a personality,) but the cast is likable and funny. I prefer it to Vesperia or Symphonia's story by a mile. Their writing's of a similar quality but Graces makes way less sacrifices to tell the story its trying to tell.

I think me and a few people were just going 'wow, Asbel is kinda really (emotionally) dumb' when he basically compared Lambda being abandoned on a different planet and seeing his dead creator to him getting kinda turned away from his own home.

Graces mostly just has fun skits, endless trolling of Hubert, and one of the manlier cast members in the series.