Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Luebbi
Jul 28, 2000
Just as a heads-up, the Paizo webstore has a 20% off deal going today with the promotion code "gmthanks21".

Be aware that this only works the FIRST time you order from the store, so be sure to get everthing you want.

Personally, I grabbed Abomination Vaults 1 to test the improved PDF to Foundry module. It works really well. Basically, it checks if you own the PDF by looking at the watermark, then populates a world with everything in the adventure, making maps with walls and journal entries already in place. Have to place creatures manually, though. For the newer adventure paths, it also imports high-quality maps, which was a big problem before. Here's a comparison of the normal and improved map from Abomination Vaults 1 (just a tiny peek, no spoilers):

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Epi Lepi
Oct 29, 2009

You can hear the voice
Telling you to Love
It's the voice of MK Ultra
And you're doing what it wants
Just FYI code works multiple times, I made an order early yesterday and then later my partner wanted something else and I was able to use the code a second time.

Syrinxx
Mar 28, 2002

Death is whimsical today

Seconding the PDF to Foundry importer, it's amazing. I like that most modules will allow you to import the flipmat versions as well for prettier/higher res maps.

If only I could magically have the bestiary have all the actor and token images already so I didn't have to spend forever in tokenstamp :sigh:

Syrinxx fucked around with this message at 19:43 on Mar 7, 2021

OgreNoah
Nov 18, 2003

I picked up the first book of Devastation Ark and the Deck of Many Worlds with that code last night, excited!

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

Is this an okay place to ask about pathfinder subsystems? Specifically, Starfinder, couldn't find a specific thread for it.

Playing on Roll20, and the number of skill points I'm cooking up on paper don't agree with the Roll20 character sheet, my paper version has me at 18 and the Roll20 sheet says 24. Not sure where the extra 6 are coming from.

The character is a 2nd level Shirren Mystic Priest (real original I'm sure but it's my first Path/Starfinder character), Int 17. By my math, that should be (class+int)+(class+int) skill points, which is (6+3)+(6+3)=18. But the Roll20 character sheet is trying to give me 24, so like it's maybe doing (class)+(class+int)+(class+int) or something? I don't know. I'm going on the assumption I'm wrong, but I can't find anything about those extra 6 points in the book.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Bad Munki posted:

Is this an okay place to ask about pathfinder subsystems? Specifically, Starfinder, couldn't find a specific thread for it.

Playing on Roll20, and the number of skill points I'm cooking up on paper don't agree with the Roll20 character sheet, my paper version has me at 18 and the Roll20 sheet says 24. Not sure where the extra 6 are coming from.

The character is a 2nd level Shirren Mystic Priest (real original I'm sure but it's my first Path/Starfinder character), Int 17. By my math, that should be (class+int)+(class+int) skill points, which is (6+3)+(6+3)=18. But the Roll20 character sheet is trying to give me 24, so like it's maybe doing (class)+(class+int)+(class+int) or something? I don't know. I'm going on the assumption I'm wrong, but I can't find anything about those extra 6 points in the book.

Is it actually giving you extra skill points, or is it giving you the bonus for favored/class skills (see table 5-1)?

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

Nah, that's listed in a separate column. It's claiming I have 24 actual ranks to spread around.

Here's the actual sheet, in this I've gone ahead and spent the extra six points because I was just screwing around, but you can see it puts the trained class skill bonus in a separate column (and only adds it if you actually have ranks in that skill) and that'd add up to waaaay more than just 6 extra points anyhow. At the very top it says 24/24 after I spent the extra points, but yeah, by my math, that max should be 18.

It could be there's just a bug in the sheet, it's pretty crusty in a few places, I just want to make sure I'm not missing something in the rules before I go and force it to behave.

OgreNoah
Nov 18, 2003

Yeah, it should be 18, unless you've got something else weird going on. You're also using the official sheet in that roll20 game, which could be part of the problem, most people use the Simple sheet. That can only be changed by the GM though.

The Golux
Feb 18, 2017

Internet Cephalopod

Does starfinder give skill ranks for favored class bonus?

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

The Golux posted:

Does starfinder give skill ranks for favored class bonus?

I checked before posting, doesn't look like that's a thing. Probably got replaced by themes, which give you +1 to an ability score plus the equivalent of a Pathfinder 1e skill trait for Wisdom and Mysticism respectively in the case of this character (a Priest).

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

All righty, thanks for the discussion.

Fortunately, I can just skip to the raw values tab and enter the actual max. It's quite likely that while changing stats and such during character creation, something got out of sync and didn't properly update, I saw that happen in a couple other places while experimenting. So it may be a bug in the actual formula, or it may be a bug in the workflow. Either way, the sheet says 18/18 now. We'll see what happens next time I level up.

Epi Lepi
Oct 29, 2009

You can hear the voice
Telling you to Love
Speaking of Starfinder, does anyone have any opinions on the APs they've put out? I played through the Dead Suns campaign and it was.... okay. I will have to run a Starfinder game eventually so my friend who DMed that will get a shot to play and I'm leaning towards Fly Free or Die cause at least the concept seems up my alley. Not sure what people thought of any of the other ones.

OgreNoah
Nov 18, 2003

Epi Lepi posted:

Speaking of Starfinder, does anyone have any opinions on the APs they've put out? I played through the Dead Suns campaign and it was.... okay. I will have to run a Starfinder game eventually so my friend who DMed that will get a shot to play and I'm leaning towards Fly Free or Die cause at least the concept seems up my alley. Not sure what people thought of any of the other ones.

Haven't played Fly Free or Die yet, but I'm running Against the Aeon Throne, and it's ok, short, only 3 books. Essentially fight against the Nazi space empire. I'm also playing in Dawn of Flames, though I barely have any idea what it's about so far, we're only lvl 3. Finally, I'm playing in Threefold Conspiracy , we're level 7, and it's a loving crazy AP. If your players would be interested in a completely wild ride of conspiracies and not knowing at all what's happening, I'd definitely encourage it. I'm also listening to Cosmic Crit which is currently running through Attack of the Swarm, which is essentially Starship Troopers the AP, it seems like good fun but not very in depth.

Claytor
Dec 5, 2011

Pyronic
Oct 1, 2008

ROYAL RAINWHARRGARBL
Anyone have experience with Path of War shenanigans? I'm playing in a game starting soon with a very low amount of magic (we've been told there will basically be 0 magic items) and to compensate for us all playing martials we've all been given a free Martial discipline with this progression

My current plan is Warrior Poet/Order of the Blossom + Mithral Current then maybe Devoted Muse when I qualify for it.

(Yes this is the same game I was posting about in December, but we're finally starting the game now)

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

Pathfinder...good

Selachian
Oct 9, 2012

I saw a meme the other day saying that now that PF2E has added Beastkin and Fleshwarp ancestries, you can now play your favorite Fullmetal Alchemist character:

Madmarker
Jan 7, 2007

Hey so I'm not to familiar with Pathfinder 2e and a friend of mine is starting up a campaign. I have a mini of a human in heavy armor with a Warhammer and an eagle that I would like to make a character to go with. I saw the Beastmaster Archetype exists, would I be able to pair that well with the Fighter or Champion? Is there a better option for getting a heavy armor and warhammer/mace with a bird companion?

I mean, I wouldn't mind going for a spellcaster with heavy armor if that is also a somewhat viable build, again I don't know the system well enough to make a good build yet, but I know the group I'm playing with, we all have optimizer proclivities so there is a certain threshold I am aiming for.

Madmarker fucked around with this message at 04:19 on Mar 22, 2021

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Madmarker posted:

Hey so I'm not to familiar with Pathfinder 2e and a friend of mine is starting up a campaign. I have a mini of a human in heavy armor with a Warhammer and an eagle that I would like to make a character to go with. I saw the Beastmaster Archetype exists, would I be able to pair that well with the Fighter or Champion? Is there a better option for getting a heavy armor and warhammer/mace with a bird companion?

I mean, I wouldn't mind going for a spellcaster with heavy armor if that is also a somewhat viable build, again I don't know the system well enough to make a good build yet, but I know the group I'm playing with, we all have optimizer proclivities so there is a certain threshold I am aiming for.

I don't know how optimal it is, but it'll go together fine. It is really, really hard to permanently gently caress up your character in Pathfinder 2e - as long as you follow the literal basic instructions in the core rulebook of "put boosts into your class's key ability score" you're fine.

Arivia fucked around with this message at 05:43 on Mar 22, 2021

the_steve
Nov 9, 2005

We're always hiring!

I feel like the hardest part of multiclassing in 2e is just deciding which base class feat you're willing to do without. Like, with my Monk, every class feat level has at least one thing that I really want and don't want to give up for an Archetype feat.

I know that is the issue with multiclassing in pretty much every game, but for some reason I feel it more acutely in 2e.

Epi Lepi
Oct 29, 2009

You can hear the voice
Telling you to Love

the_steve posted:

I feel like the hardest part of multiclassing in 2e is just deciding which base class feat you're willing to do without. Like, with my Monk, every class feat level has at least one thing that I really want and don't want to give up for an Archetype feat.

I know that is the issue with multiclassing in pretty much every game, but for some reason I feel it more acutely in 2e.

I plan on using the Free Archetype Variant in the next game I run and possibly just shoving it in our current game. More options is fun!

the_steve
Nov 9, 2005

We're always hiring!

Epi Lepi posted:

I plan on using the Free Archetype Variant in the next game I run and possibly just shoving it in our current game. More options is fun!

I'm playing a human, so I'll get a free multiclass archetype if I live to level 9, but that doesn't work for some of the neater ones like Linguist, since it's not tagged as multiclass.
Plus, at best I'm only going to get a few cantrips out of it since I don't plan to go down the rabbit hole too far.

Roadie
Jun 30, 2013

Madmarker posted:

One of the most powerful controller-type builds currently is actually just "flail/hammer fighter focused on knockdown and attacks of opportunity", so it's hard to go wrong there. Champion is easy to make a close second by building around making the reaction ability as much of a catch-22 situation as possible for enemies.

A complication to keep in mind with Beastmaster is action economy stuff. You come out slightly ahead in total Stuff To Do, but to do it consistently you're missing out on a personal third action, and that shuts down a lot of combo power for martials. The bird animal companion stats also don't contribute much to the primary gimmicks of either fighter or champion beyond just 'more damage'.

You might want to look at Familiar Master instead: it won't be directly useful in a fight, but with Independent you have a familiar that can spend a free action each round on Seek to find hidden enemies or, if you give it an appropriate Skilled ability, Recall Knowledge checks to get info on enemies. An intelligent familiar is a different vibe than a 'just a trained animal' animal companion, of course, so YMMV.

Harold Fjord
Jan 3, 2004
You can do it but your bird is going to be ending up in melee range a lot because it only gets 2 actions when you command it early on. A move and a strike, usually. You can protect it with your champion feats.

I find the official paizo discord to be very helpful and friendly I can't figure out how to link it right now

Harold Fjord fucked around with this message at 13:31 on Mar 22, 2021

Madmarker
Jan 7, 2007

Roadie posted:

One of the most powerful controller-type builds currently is actually just "flail/hammer fighter focused on knockdown and attacks of opportunity", so it's hard to go wrong there. Champion is easy to make a close second by building around making the reaction ability as much of a catch-22 situation as possible for enemies.

A complication to keep in mind with Beastmaster is action economy stuff. You come out slightly ahead in total Stuff To Do, but to do it consistently you're missing out on a personal third action, and that shuts down a lot of combo power for martials. The bird animal companion stats also don't contribute much to the primary gimmicks of either fighter or champion beyond just 'more damage'.

You might want to look at Familiar Master instead: it won't be directly useful in a fight, but with Independent you have a familiar that can spend a free action each round on Seek to find hidden enemies or, if you give it an appropriate Skilled ability, Recall Knowledge checks to get info on enemies. An intelligent familiar is a different vibe than a 'just a trained animal' animal companion, of course, so YMMV.

Can you link to an example of the flail/hammer build? I'd be interested in looking over it and seeing how it works. And I am totally fine with Familiar Master over Beast Master, the point is to have a cool bird with the heavy armor and hammer build, not to necessarily make the build about the bird.

Harold Fjord posted:

You can do it but your bird is going to be ending up in melee range a lot because it only gets 2 actions when you command it early on. A move and a strike, usually. You can protect it with your champion feats.

I find the official paizo discord to be very helpful and friendly I can't figure out how to link it right now

I'll look into it, thanks.

Harold Fjord
Jan 3, 2004

Madmarker posted:

Can you link to an example of the flail/hammer build? I'd be interested in looking over it and seeing how it works. And I am totally fine with Familiar Master over Beast Master, the point is to have a cool bird with the heavy armor and hammer build, not to necessarily make the build about the bird.

I'll look into it, thanks.

Was easier from PC. https://discord.gg/pathfinder

Zarick
Dec 28, 2004

If you want to focus more on the bird I'd suggest going ranger with the Sentinel dedication. This gets you heavy armor, and you can focus on the pet more. The bird is one of the better animal companions for its support benefit, which is Dazzled on any enemy you hit. You can go with a two-handed hammer and the precision ranger, or two one-handed ones (or a one-handed one and a shield w/ shield boss) for dual wielding/flurry ranger. It works pretty well.

avoraciopoctules
Oct 22, 2012

What is this kid's DEAL?!

Pyronic posted:

Anyone have experience with Path of War shenanigans? I'm playing in a game starting soon with a very low amount of magic (we've been told there will basically be 0 magic items) and to compensate for us all playing martials we've all been given a free Martial discipline with this progression

My current plan is Warrior Poet/Order of the Blossom + Mithral Current then maybe Devoted Muse when I qualify for it.

(Yes this is the same game I was posting about in December, but we're finally starting the game now)

Path of War is really good for giving martial characters more options, if you pick the more esoteric stuff. Mithral Current is a solid pick. If you want more crazy utility, it's hard to beat Elemental Flux. Of course, at-will flight, healing, and laser eye beams might create some issues with the intended tone.

The big thing to keep in mind as far as nonmagic game-changers go is that Counters can often let you reliably negate an attack per round. If you don't fight groups of enemies often, that could dramatically improve your overall survivability. Mithral Current specifically gives you ranged sword beams and the ability to make enemies Vulnerable to silver weapons. Maybe make sure your fellow warriors have access to silversheen?

Last note, if you allow Path of War stuff at all the Martial Training feat chain is a great way to get more of it. Even wizards often love dipping into Martial Training for counters that use their Spellcraft.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

avoraciopoctules posted:

Path of War is really good for giving martial characters more options, if you pick the more esoteric stuff. Mithral Current is a solid pick. If you want more crazy utility, it's hard to beat Elemental Flux. Of course, at-will flight, healing, and laser eye beams might create some issues with the intended tone.

The big thing to keep in mind as far as nonmagic game-changers go is that Counters can often let you reliably negate an attack per round. If you don't fight groups of enemies often, that could dramatically improve your overall survivability. Mithral Current specifically gives you ranged sword beams and the ability to make enemies Vulnerable to silver weapons. Maybe make sure your fellow warriors have access to silversheen?

Last note, if you allow Path of War stuff at all the Martial Training feat chain is a great way to get more of it. Even wizards often love dipping into Martial Training for counters that use their Spellcraft.

did path of war ever get finished?

like last i checked, there was path of war, then path of war expanded, then there were MAJOR ISSUES and there was supposed to be errata forthcoming to fix that stuff, but it seems like it never happened and dreamscarred is kinda dead.

which sucks! I liked path of war, own a copy, happily let players use it, but it kind of felt like dreamscarred's systems trailed off and were never quite finished and badly so (psionics had a similar issue, with one of the very small post-ultimate psionics supplements going "yeah soulknives suck here's the fix".)

Lurks With Wolves
Jan 14, 2013

At least I don't dance with them, right?

Toshimo posted:

So, PF2E has a type of feat called archetypes, that handle a number of things including what previously would be multiclassing and prestige classes. Additionally, because Paizo acknowledges that sometimes you just want to have your players able to do cool dips, they added some rules to one of the recent books to cover giving players a free feat track that can only be used for achetype feats so that you can have these sort of distinctive characters without the push/pull of trying to work these feats into your class feat progression.

The current discussion in the TG Industry thread has me curious about something: what variant rules have Paizo put out for Pathfinder 2e that just make the game a lot more interesting? I know there's a decent amount of them in books like the Gamemastery Guide, but which ones are the cream of the crop?

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Lurks With Wolves posted:

The current discussion in the TG Industry thread has me curious about something: what variant rules have Paizo put out for Pathfinder 2e that just make the game a lot more interesting? I know there's a decent amount of them in books like the Gamemastery Guide, but which ones are the cream of the crop?

my personal favourite is probably removing level from proficiency, which is basically the one dial to turn the game from new-school D&D to something old-school where you don't outscale goblins until like level 12 and can also beat a giant dragon by just getting 400 people to throw rocks at it.

it's not to everyone's taste, but that's kind of the point - they're variants because they enable you to play the game your way.

In the GMG there are two really common sense variants that just make the game a lot easier in general if you're not being a turbogrog - combining movement speed over multiple move actions in a turn (ie: if you move 20 out of 30 feet, then climb a wall, then move again, you can move those remaining 10 feet now) and all diagonals count 5 feet, which also suggests to just swap all the areas for effects to squares as well. The latter does not work in Foundry, sadly.

sugar free jazz
Mar 5, 2008

Arivia posted:

my personal favourite is probably removing level from proficiency, which is basically the one dial to turn the game from new-school D&D to something old-school where you don't outscale goblins until like level 12 and can also beat a giant dragon by just getting 400 people to throw rocks at it.

it's not to everyone's taste, but that's kind of the point - they're variants because they enable you to play the game your way.

In the GMG there are two really common sense variants that just make the game a lot easier in general if you're not being a turbogrog - combining movement speed over multiple move actions in a turn (ie: if you move 20 out of 30 feet, then climb a wall, then move again, you can move those remaining 10 feet now) and all diagonals count 5 feet, which also suggests to just swap all the areas for effects to squares as well. The latter does not work in Foundry, sadly.

why not just play an osr game if you’re going down that road though, like what’s the point of playing pf2? Idk i don’t get why you’d want to cram pf2 into that mold when there’s a ton of systems out there that do it way better

M. Night Skymall
Mar 22, 2012

Lurks With Wolves posted:

I think free archetype is definitely the best of them in terms of opening up the options of your players a lot more. Does add a bit of player power, but probably not enough to matter. You can also just limit the archetypes to campaign specific ones, but of course less customization then. This is what I did for AV, just limited it to the two archetypes in the first 2 books and unlocked free archetypes at a story appropriate time as training from an NPC to deal with the situation they found themselves in, then let everyone choose one of the 2.

My favorite stuff out of the GMG are the rules for infiltrations, victory points, and relics. Victory points is kind of obvious and most people have probably run some variation of it at some point, but it's well written. The infiltration rules just look fun, but I haven't tried them.

I did make custom relics for each of my players tied into the campaign and that was a huge hit, I really like it because it sort of sneaks in automatic bonus progression from the side without being explicit about it. So I can simplify the amount of loot I give out, but the players are excited about watching their relic grow instead of just adding more numbers to their sheet as they level up. I do wish there were more gift options, or third party support or ...anything. Hopefully Paizo keeps adding to it instead of just abandoning it after the GMG. No mention of relics in any of the coming APs isn't making me optimistic though.

avoraciopoctules
Oct 22, 2012

What is this kid's DEAL?!

Arivia posted:

did path of war ever get finished?

like last i checked, there was path of war, then path of war expanded, then there were MAJOR ISSUES and there was supposed to be errata forthcoming to fix that stuff, but it seems like it never happened and dreamscarred is kinda dead.

which sucks! I liked path of war, own a copy, happily let players use it, but it kind of felt like dreamscarred's systems trailed off and were never quite finished and badly so (psionics had a similar issue, with one of the very small post-ultimate psionics supplements going "yeah soulknives suck here's the fix".)

Not sure about "finished", but it certainly expanded some. https://libraryofmetzofitz.fandom.com/wiki/Martial_Disciplines
Mangled Gear is gloriously busted.

Epi Lepi
Oct 29, 2009

You can hear the voice
Telling you to Love
One of my favorite 5e characters that I've played is a Circle of Dreams druid and I'd like to replicate it to some extent in PF2e. The two special abilities I care most about are Balm of the Summer Court and Hidden Paths. Balm is a bonus action heal with range that does not take a spell slot. I think Blessed One archetype is the closest thing I can get to that. Hidden Paths is an ability that allows you to teleport 60 ft or teleport an ally that you touch 30 ft. I don't know enough about the different options to say what works closest to that.

Anyone with more system mastery than me have ideas of what else would work?

M. Night Skymall
Mar 22, 2012

Epi Lepi posted:

One of my favorite 5e characters that I've played is a Circle of Dreams druid and I'd like to replicate it to some extent in PF2e. The two special abilities I care most about are Balm of the Summer Court and Hidden Paths. Balm is a bonus action heal with range that does not take a spell slot. I think Blessed One archetype is the closest thing I can get to that. Hidden Paths is an ability that allows you to teleport 60 ft or teleport an ally that you touch 30 ft. I don't know enough about the different options to say what works closest to that.

I don't think there's a lot of ways to teleport outside of the actual spell, or dimension door but that's self only. It's a 6th level spell so you'd get it at 11 which is pretty similar to the hidden path ability. You'd have to play as a bard, witch, wizard, or sorcerer though. Is it just the healing and teleporting that you're looking for or is it the druid doing that? Druids don't really make great healers in PF2E , there's no way to pick up divine font outside the cleric class, and they don't get teleport. So ah..kinda rough I think with the current options.

Roadie
Jun 30, 2013

Epi Lepi posted:

You wouldn''t get wild shape, but a ranger with Terrain Transposition gets easy per-encounter teleportation starting at level 10.

Epi Lepi
Oct 29, 2009

You can hear the voice
Telling you to Love

M. Night Skymall posted:

I don't think there's a lot of ways to teleport outside of the actual spell, or dimension door but that's self only. It's a 6th level spell so you'd get it at 11 which is pretty similar to the hidden path ability. You'd have to play as a bard, witch, wizard, or sorcerer though. Is it just the healing and teleporting that you're looking for or is it the druid doing that? Druids don't really make great healers in PF2E , there's no way to pick up divine font outside the cleric class, and they don't get teleport. So ah..kinda rough I think with the current options.

Roadie posted:

You wouldn''t get wild shape, but a ranger with Terrain Transposition gets easy per-encounter teleportation starting at level 10.

The character was Eladrin so I was more concerned with the feywild aspect than the explicitly druid aspect. Functionally she was a healer/support character, main spells I used were cure wounds, guidance, healing word, wall of fire, and polymorph. Only wild shaped occasionally to like turn into a bird for mobility, scouting purposes so I could probably live without that and just polymorph myself.

Terrain Transposition sounds cool but I'm not sure how to get it on a spellcaster.

Sounds like I'm hoping that Secrets of Magic has some options in it before I can rebuild this character.

Proud Rat Mom
Apr 2, 2012

did absolutely fuck all
What does people here use for Foundry Tokens?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GetDunked
Dec 16, 2011

respectfully
For PF in particular I'll often grab monster art from Archives of Nethys and then run it through TokenStamp to punch out a nice little bordered token around the monster's face area. If I'm running something official out of a PDF I'll do the same with the images that Foundry's PDF importer module generates, and if not I usually go out of my way to search for reference images for any NPC or bespoke monster that's showing up in a combat. I find myself using prepackaged token artwork way less than I did with the convenience of Roll20's marketplace.

I'd love to see an extension that would let me do this directly from within Foundry, if anyone knows of such a thing. But it's not a bad workflow as is.