Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Business of Ferrets
Mar 2, 2008

Good to see that everything is back to normal.

nate fisher posted:

I have thought about getting a Garmin inReach Mini, but not for hiking since my wife is usually with me when I hike. Instead I would use it for trail running in remote places without cell (for example the GSMNP). I do like you can turn on the service for a few months and cut it back off, but I hate the high entry cost of $350. I have a 18 mile run I am doing in the GSMNP in May, and I am still on the fence about getting it. It would allow me to text my wife and for her to follow along with my progress (Garmin Live Tracking). So many more things can go wrong when you are running instead of hiking in the woods.

:hfive: trail running buddy.

This is exactly the reason I got my inReach mini. Solo trail running with and without cell service. When out alone, having the live tracking is great in the event I become incapacitated or worse, and it can last a long time at 10-minute intervals. A couple years ago when I was running a 20-mile loop in the Sierra backcountry, the texting function was super useful when I found I was making slower progress than I expected but was still doing fine. Was able to let my wife know so she didn’t worry when I was late. One of my best purchases.

Use it when backpacking, mountaineering and ski touring, as well, so real multi-sport usefulness.

I’m happy to have it around as an emergency preparedness tool, also; if cell networks go down during a natural disaster, we’ll still be able to communicate with family in other parts of the country/world.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

The inReach Mini goes on sale for $200-$250 once or twice a year which makes it a littler easier to swallow.

highme
May 25, 2001

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

^^ been debating between using my REI coupon for a bike computer or an InReach.

My pair of CNOC bladders and filter arrived. Since I have a Sawyer Microsqueeze too, I was thinking a decent way to store them would be 1 bladder wrapped around a filter in a wide mouth Nalgene. Looking for options to be able to connect the filter to the widemouth and want something like this (https://jetflow.com/buyaccessories/63-mm-adapter) that isn't $15. Any suggestions? Nevermind, I found an MSR replacement cap for $6 on Amazon that should work.

\/\/ I was looking for a way to use the Nalgene as the bottom half of a gravity system where it's all connected and I don't have to worry about my clumsy rear end knocking it over.

highme fucked around with this message at 21:19 on Mar 21, 2021

The Wiggly Wizard
Aug 21, 2008

highme posted:

My pair of CNOC bladders and filter arrived. Since I have a Sawyer Microsqueeze too, I was thinking a decent way to store them would be 1 bladder wrapped around a filter in a wide mouth Nalgene. Looking for options to be able to connect the filter to the widemouth and want something like this (https://jetflow.com/buyaccessories/63-mm-adapter) that isn't $15. Any suggestions?

Just shoot the water in

incogneato
Jun 4, 2007

Zoom! Swish! Bang!

highme posted:

^^ been debating between using my REI coupon for a bike computer or an InReach.

The REI coupons often don't work on electronics with gps, or something like that. I don't have it in front of me, but you may want to check the fine print.

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

Yeah you can’t use them on Garmin stuff

Discounts not valid on car racks & accessories, roof boxes, bicycles, bike trainers & simulators, snowshoes, skis, ski boots or ski bindings; snowboards, snowboard boots or snowboard bindings; kayaks, canoes, paddle boards, rafts; strollers, any item with GPS technology, action cameras and accessories, fitness trackers, personal locator beacons, avalanche transceiver and airbag products.

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

do not buy a oneplus phone

FCKGW posted:

Yeah you can’t use them on Garmin stuff

Discounts not valid on car racks & accessories, roof boxes, bicycles, bike trainers & simulators, snowshoes, skis, ski boots or ski bindings; snowboards, snowboard boots or snowboard bindings; kayaks, canoes, paddle boards, rafts; strollers, any item with GPS technology, action cameras and accessories, fitness trackers, personal locator beacons, avalanche transceiver and airbag products.

I got mine on sale at Costco this last Christmas season.

ROFLburger
Jan 12, 2006

Any recommendations on 4 season tents? My Copper Spur did not enjoy getting buried in snow last week. Hilleberg stuff looks interesting

BaseballPCHiker
Jan 16, 2006

ROFLburger posted:

Any recommendations on 4 season tents? My Copper Spur did not enjoy getting buried in snow last week. Hilleberg stuff looks interesting

Assuming youre looking at backpacking 4 season tents? Hilleberg is the gold standard there, Black Diamond has some single wall options. For the cheap/heavy route I've been using my Eureka Timberline 2 man tent as a winter tent for years now.

Otherwise you could look at Seek Outsides tipi tents, lots of options there.

Quixotic1
Jul 25, 2007

Moosejaw, campsaver are also doing a 20% discount sale

Morbus
May 18, 2004

ROFLburger posted:

If you want a "proper" winter tent, a Hilleberg tunnel tent is hard to beat. For a 4-season tunnel tent go for something with at least 3 poles and some support for internal guylines. BD firstlight is very popular as a lightweight freestanding option. If you just need something that will shed snow and be suitable for winter condition in reasonably not-terrible weather, pyramid tents work great and are very light & packable.

If you want something heavy duty that's not a tunnel, I've had some experience with the BD Eldorado, and it's pretty solid and very warm. It's a fair bit lighter than the beefiest tunnels from Hilleberg, but in a storm I'd much prefer a tunnel tent. And if I don't need the tent to be absolutely bombproof, I'd rather take a (much, much lighter and smaller) 'mid or firstlight.

carrionman
Oct 30, 2010
PLBS in nz are almost considered mandatory. Free registration, plus the fact that in most of the hikes I do if I break a leg or something dumb the only way I'm coming out is via heli makes it a no brainer for me

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel
I just bought these Cascade Mountain Tech Trekking Poles.

I'm not sure why as I don't have any mountains nearby but there's some hills sometimes. :shrug: I think Costco has these sometimes but I can't find them at the stores anywhere.

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

You don't need to find mountains or even hills to use trekking poles. You can use them on flat ground just fine. There's actually a technique to trekking poles. You're supposed to use them something like you would cross country ski poles. You want them slightly angled towards your rear and to push off of them so that you propel yourself forward. Set their length so that your forearm is parallel with the ground when you're holding it. if you are expecting to climb a hill for a while then you can shorten them slightly so that your forearm remains parallel. If you're descending hill you can extend them slightly.

You don't need to adjust them constantly though. Just if you're going to be ascending or descending a pretty substantial elevation.

I use them for my hikes and I have plantar fasciitis. I'm able to go probably about twice as long as I would be able to otherwise thanks to how much easier it is on my feet when I use them even on flat ground.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

A number I saw thrown around a lot is using poles to push yourself meant your legs do 20% less work which seems a but optimistic to me, but you definitely do feel lighter when you get that little boost from poles.

I mostly carry them to save my knees on descents though. Those joints ain't what they once were.

charliebravo77
Jun 11, 2003

Poles definitely help reduce a bit of the impact and weight with a heavy pack on too, whether you're climbing a mountain or not. I use them frequently when hunting since I am often carrying a heavy pack and it helps on downhills and spares my knees a bit. Also good for uneven terrain to help keep balance.

FogHelmut
Dec 18, 2003

Pennywise the Frown posted:

I just bought these Cascade Mountain Tech Trekking Poles.

I'm not sure why as I don't have any mountains nearby but there's some hills sometimes. :shrug: I think Costco has these sometimes but I can't find them at the stores anywhere.

I believe the Costco ones are carbon fiber. They had them when I went last week. They're usually around when the camping stuff is out, they're seasonal though.

FogHelmut fucked around with this message at 05:27 on Mar 23, 2021

Brother Tadger
Feb 15, 2012

I'm accidentally a suicide bomber!

I have the 3-piece carbon fiber cork handle cascade mountain poles, but I swear I saw someone post a two piece version a few pages back. I’d buy those in a heartbeat if I needed new poles.

Verman
Jul 4, 2005
Third time is a charm right?
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B086R8FM6Q/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apa_fabc_H36F0KQP8RSN9M0W72GY?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel

Nitrousoxide posted:

You don't need to find mountains or even hills to use trekking poles. You can use them on flat ground just fine. There's actually a technique to trekking poles. You're supposed to use them something like you would cross country ski poles. You want them slightly angled towards your rear and to push off of them so that you propel yourself forward. Set their length so that your forearm is parallel with the ground when you're holding it. if you are expecting to climb a hill for a while then you can shorten them slightly so that your forearm remains parallel. If you're descending hill you can extend them slightly.

You don't need to adjust them constantly though. Just if you're going to be ascending or descending a pretty substantial elevation.

I use them for my hikes and I have plantar fasciitis. I'm able to go probably about twice as long as I would be able to otherwise thanks to how much easier it is on my feet when I use them even on flat ground.

That makes a lot of sense. I have plantar fasciitis too so that might help me be able to go longer. I got these because they're $23 and I don't know if I want to invest a ton into trekking poles just yet. So they should be a decent starting set and the reviews are great.

Verman
Jul 4, 2005
Third time is a charm right?
Costco poles are one of those magical pieces of outdoor gear. Cheap. Light. Great. Considering other carbon poles are $100+, you literally can't do better for the money, even double or triple the money. Carbon poles. Several snow baskets. Rubber feet covers. Carbide tips. Cork grips. Equivalent poles are easily between $75-100

They're legendary in here and if you're even remotely pole curious, they're the best way to see if you like hiking poles or not. They definitely make a difference on my knees on steep trails. I've had one pair for 5 years now so they're just as durable as any other pole I've used. I've used mine for skiing a few times as well.

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel
What attachments do you use for just regular dirt?grass. The rubber feet or none and just using the tungsten tip?

Catatron Prime
Aug 23, 2010

IT ME

Toilet Rascal
Half the people I know use rubber, half use the carbide tip to shave weight. I just let the default feet on all year round, of which the carbide tip is poking through anyways. Best of both worlds!

Two weeks ago I was hiking around the lip of a steep gorge, and near the rim I slipped on a muddy slope and grabbed a nearby tree to save myself from falling near the rim. Sliced the poo poo out of my thumb and because it was a short dayhike I didn’t have my regular medkit with liquid bandage, so I got to finish out the last few miles with a bloody hand and nearly bad fall off the rim all because I didn’t bring my trekking poles or my small lightweight med kit.

Poles make every hike better, especially when you are on slippery terrain

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

When I'm out on the trail I use the carbide tips. when I come back home I pop the rubber tips back on so I don't scratch up my floors.

AKZ
Nov 5, 2009

*Imagines a hiking goon furiously striding from room to room in their house using trekking poles*

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

AKZ posted:

*Imagines a hiking goon furiously striding from room to room in their house using trekking poles*

Nah, I just leave them attached to my bag so if I'm putting the bag down they'd scratch up the floor without the rubber bottoms.

nate fisher
Mar 3, 2004

We've Got To Go Back
I keep 2 pairs of Leki poles behind the backseat fold down of my Tacoma. You never know when you might need them.

Shame about the 20% coupon restrictions and the Garmin inReach mini. I guess I will wait for a sale (if you see one in the future please post here).

REI use to put stuff like that on sale (exclusions) at the same time as when the coupon was active. I purchased several Yakima and Thule items at a discount during this time, but just looked none of these type items are on sale. I feel like this is a recent change, and could possibly be COVID related (I know stock of these items have been low over the last year).

FogHelmut
Dec 18, 2003

What's everyone's first aid kit look like? Are you the type to simply pack an airplane bottle of whiskey and you'll cauterize everything with the end of a smoldering stick? Or are you prepared to run a medium sized field hospital? I was looking at just getting one of those Adventure Medical Kits.

BaseballPCHiker
Jan 16, 2006

Mine weighs 3.3 oz in its sack and contains:
2 medium non-stick gauze pads
1 quick clot gauze pad
Medical wrap tape
Tweezers
Ibuprofen
Aleve
Imodium
Benedryl
Baby aspirin
First aid & burn cream
2 medi-lyte packs
Rubber gloves
4 band-aids
BZK towelette
2 moleskin pads

I have an EMT friend that keeps insisting I add a tourniquet which I might one day, but thats my kit for now.

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel
I have like 3 or 4 of the Adventure medical kits and I have no idea why. I made a small day hike kit that fits in a small sandwich bag. It includes:

Mole skin
Different types and sizes of bandaids and bandages
Medical tape
Antiseptic towelettes
Benzalkonium wipes
Ibuprofen
Benadryl
Chapstick
Cortizone for bug bites
Tweezers
Body glide
Tick remover
Lighter, not sure why but I'm looking at it and it's in here

I used to be an EMT and I like having tons of stuff that I will never use. Although I did use the moleskin once.

edit: I just googled medi-lyte tabs and those look cool. I'm always wanting to add more to my kit even though I can't fit much more in that bag.

Pennywise the Frown fucked around with this message at 20:04 on Mar 23, 2021

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

I have a tourniquet for my gun range first aid kit. I really should also get one for my hiking first aid kit.

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel
I keep a tourniquet in my car.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Just go for the ultralight tourniquet: a belt and a stick. If it gets to that point they're pretty hosed up already so dithering over whether something purpose made or not is "better" seems irrelevant. If you don't have an exit plan already in progress it ain't gonna matter one way or the other.

And certainly don't be using them unless you have specific training on when/why to apply one because completely cutting off blood flow is kind of a big deal.

(i have no specific training so take that into consideration when reading the above)

BaseballPCHiker
Jan 16, 2006

I do have a standard emergency tourniquet, I think it weighs about 2.5 ounces or so, and I have taken a stop the bleed course before. I just really struggle with if I would ever come close to using it.

Something interesting I came across a while ago. Data from 10 years from the NOLS Field Incident Database:

996 total incidents (Out of 4 million days outdoors, 14,000 total incidents that required just minimal one time treatment, 996 more serious)
518 Traumatic Injuries
55% muscle, ligament, or tendon sprains
17% Wounds, bruises, lacerations,
5.2% Dental
4% skin infections
3.7% burns
478 Medical illnesses
23.6% Nasuea
15.7% Viral or bacterial infections
9.2% Flu or cold
8.2% Allergic reactions
6.9% Abdominal pain

So based on that I feel pretty confident with my first aid kit. The only thing the tourniquet would cover is limb wounds. The quick clot can be used other areas on the body.

Chard
Aug 24, 2010

the way i was taught tourniqueting was, applying it means you're basically writing off whatever limb you use it on for a chance to save someone's life. if you're not certain that's a good trade, don't torq.

BaseballPCHiker
Jan 16, 2006

Chard posted:

the way i was taught tourniqueting was, applying it means you're basically writing off whatever limb you use it on for a chance to save someone's life. if you're not certain that's a good trade, don't torq.

Depends on when you got your training. Post Iraq/Afghanistan we've learned a limb stands a good chance for up to 6 hours in a tourniquet.

FogHelmut
Dec 18, 2003

Klymit is giving away their X Pillow and a grey V Seat on their website for free, but you pay $19 shipping. They offer you more discounts on other items after checkout ($35 sleep pad, $7 additional V seat).

PokeJoe
Aug 24, 2004

hail cgatan

BaseballPCHiker posted:

Depends on when you got your training. Post Iraq/Afghanistan we've learned a limb stands a good chance for up to 6 hours in a tourniquet.

Interesting, I too was taught it's pretty much an "amputation or death" choice. 6 hours isn't bad but also if you're in the backcountry it can easily not be enough time. Anyone have any links on some up to date reading?

hypnophant
Oct 19, 2012

BaseballPCHiker posted:

No, 6 hours is about what I learned in EMT-B in 2006.

People who got medical training in the military really, really overestimate the importance and value of tourniquets (and needle decompression) in civilian care. In 6 years in civilian EMS I saw arterial bleeding only a handful of times, but was able to control it every time without using a tourniquet. We didn't even carry the fancy tourniquets on the truck since you could easily improvise one with cravats if you really needed it. I haven't taken a wilderness course but I doubt they'd have any more value there, and frankly I think they'd have close to zero value in the SHTF scenario either, since you really are writing off the limb if you put a tourniquet on without modern emergency care immediately available to back it up (and writing off the organism, too, if you don't have some kind of surgeon who can amputate after the limb is lost.) That doesn't stop North American Rescue from selling CATs to every prepper putting together a bugout bag, though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pumped up for school
Nov 24, 2010

I'm due for my wilderness first aid refresher for work; was thinking about doing it next week. I've had the same instructor the last 2 times, and both times when it comes to tourniquets we go over how to do it, and then we spend twice as much time talking some version of "you better be damned sure." My general FA/CPR instructor last round, when it came up he was super excited about them. Like I expected him to pull one out of his pocket right then and there.