Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

War Wizard
Jan 4, 2007

:)

Mescal posted:

The guards above the spiral staircase/the big cathedreal boss are pretty challenging. I've got a suspicion that everybody plays until the pontiff and does pvp in that area forever? Am I supposed to duel there until I'm level a million? Nobody puts white summon signs by the bonfire in the sky there

You're supposed to duel there forever and spend all your souls on consumables.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Basic Chunnel
Sep 21, 2010

Jesus! Jesus Christ! Say his name! Jesus! Jesus! Come down now!

One thing I've noticed over the years is that I don't believe I've ever seen a player character using a polearm. What's up with that

SHISHKABOB
Nov 30, 2012

Fun Shoe

Basic Chunnel posted:

One thing I've noticed over the years is that I don't believe I've ever seen a player character using a polearm. What's up with that

http://darksouls.wikidot.com/halberds There's lots of polearms in the games.

Basic Chunnel
Sep 21, 2010

Jesus! Jesus Christ! Say his name! Jesus! Jesus! Come down now!

Yes I know there are polearm weapons. That's why I'm asking why I never see anybody use them. Clubs, swords, greatswords, maces, axes, cestus, even whips I've seen people use but for the life of me I cannot remember anyone showing up carrying anything on a stick

Son of Thunderbeast
Sep 21, 2002
Finally got my caestus! Thanks for explaining the two-handing moveset, that helped a lot. Not sure how I feel about having a weapon art instead of my useless-but-looks-so-good three-hit lariat. These weapons seem to want you to be a lot more aggressive than in DS2. In DS2 I'd basically wait, hit em with a one-two, then dodge or wait for another opening. In DS3, as long as I'm staggering the enemy with my hits, it's best if I just mash L1/LB and absolutely wail on them.

I like it so far. Some enemies I just sprint past for now because fists just don't seem to be an option for them yet, or I'm not gud enough. Definitely looking forward to trying the other fist weapons out there!

Also met Siegward tonight and punched a fire demon to death :unsmigghh:

Horace Kinch
Aug 15, 2007

Basic Chunnel posted:

Yes I know there are polearm weapons. That's why I'm asking why I never see anybody use them. Clubs, swords, greatswords, maces, axes, cestus, even whips I've seen people use but for the life of me I cannot remember anyone showing up carrying anything on a stick

Polearms are in a weird spot where they don't have the R1 spam of lighter weapons and the sheer freight-train damage of bigass swords. They're good if you put the time in, but they just aren't as popular.

MechaSeinfeld
Jan 2, 2008

I rushed gundyr because I wanted to make a str/fth character that used halberds but his soul also makes the best ring in the game so nvm.

Glaive was cool and I love the splitleaf ‘greatsword’. but it’s really hard to go past an UGS or something similar. It never really feels effective to poke enemies to death. would much rather pummel them.

gundyrs karate moves can gently caress off too

War Wizard
Jan 4, 2007

I've seen people using the Great Lance, and that's classified as a polearm, but that's it. I feel there's potential for the Winged Knight Halberd in PvP but I haven't put the effort in.

Tonight I learned Siegward actual can't solo the first demon encounter and he died and I'm super upset about that. I wasn't even putting it all on him, I just stopped for some estus.

Also I saw someone RP'ing as Iron Tarkus to this day all the way at Gael's boss fight. Truely the greatest undead.

SHISHKABOB
Nov 30, 2012

Fun Shoe
I use em all the time.

Elissimpark
May 20, 2010

Bring me the head of Auguste Escoffier.
I've been Aldrich Faithfulling the past couple nights and I keep seeing Greatleaf splitswords. And got smashed with a Lucerne once.

I might try them out because my internet is super laggy and I get lag-slashed a lot by peeps well out of apparent reach.

Also, finally got through Midir with the help of someone RPing Solaire. Like, they were even called Solaire. Dedication.

Mescal
Jul 23, 2005

Jesus, the sky went dark. As if this game ain't bleak enough. I'm going back to Pelican town

goblin week
Jan 26, 2019

Absolute clown.

Aidan_702 posted:

This always seemed a bit of a plot hole to me - if linking the flame causes the curse to disappear (for I dunno a few thousand years before the flame starts to fade again) then how is he still alive at all?

He was in DS1 and people liked DS1, conversely he was not in DS2 and everyone hated that game

Aipsh
Feb 17, 2006

GLUPP SHITTO FAN CLUB PRESIDENT

goblin week posted:

He was in DS1 and people liked DS1, conversely he was not in DS2 and everyone hated that game

I'm on my second play through of DS2 and I'm really coming around to it. Is this how it starts??

Also, please everyone have some lo-fi Dark souls tunes

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BQB9ZDQ0qfU

Qmass
Jun 3, 2003

how do I figure out what build to play second time through ?

first time I did the obvious 40str/40dex refined lothric thing which I enjoyed

I just got to firelink with a deprived start and I have no idea what to do.

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

Mescal posted:

The guards above the spiral staircase/the big cathedreal boss are pretty challenging. I've got a suspicion that everybody plays until the pontiff and does pvp in that area forever? Am I supposed to duel there until I'm level a million? Nobody puts white summon signs by the bonfire in the sky there

You really just gonna leave us hanging on the storm ruler mystery?

Simply Simon
Nov 6, 2010

📡scanning🛰️ for good game 🎮design🦔🦔🦔

Qmass posted:

Did you find any weapon or spell last time that made you go "drat that sounds sweet, if only I had the build for that"?

You could also look at the weapons overview on one of the wikis to get inspiration

Aipsh
Feb 17, 2006

GLUPP SHITTO FAN CLUB PRESIDENT

Qmass posted:

if it's a fresh play through go nuts. Dump everything into INT and Faith. Have 0 vitality. Go be a glass cannon. Play the whole game with an enchanted broken sword. Lothric's your oyster

goblin week
Jan 26, 2019

Absolute clown.

Aidan_702 posted:

I'm on my second play through of DS2 and I'm really coming around to it. Is this how it starts??

Also, please everyone have some lo-fi Dark souls tunes

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BQB9ZDQ0qfU

Honestly personally for me it was hating DS2 on the first go around, and then playing DS3 and being disappointed in how similar to Bloodborne it was. So I went back to DS2 and realized that yeah that's p much an all-improved DS1....

Son of Thunderbeast
Sep 21, 2002
DS2 is very good

Moola
Aug 16, 2006

Son of Thunderbeast posted:

DS2 is not very good

Simply Simon
Nov 6, 2010

DS2 is extremely good

Moola
Aug 16, 2006

Simply Simon posted:

DS2 is not extremely good

Simply Simon
Nov 6, 2010

Mesadoram
Nov 4, 2009

Serious Business

:smith:

SeXTcube
Jan 1, 2009

I'm early on in my first 99% blind run of DS2 and going in I thought "endless grey stone hallways" was just a meme.

Moola
Aug 16, 2006

:hai:

Horace Kinch
Aug 15, 2007

Qmass posted:

Try Pyromancy, it's very fun and has some cool benefits such as being able to use a few side miracles/sorcery.

giZm
Jul 7, 2003

Only the insane equates pain with success

DS2 is very much a fun game

Moola
Aug 16, 2006

:argh:

World War Mammories
Aug 25, 2006

Steve Jorbs posted:

I'm early on in my first 99% blind run of DS2 and going in I thought "endless grey stone hallways" was just a meme.

just wait until you see the interior of drangleic castle

Son of Thunderbeast
Sep 21, 2002
yeah if I had any criticism of DS2 it's that on my second time through I definitely noticed how many stone hallways there were. Some absolutely gorgeous places and even gorgeous stonework areas but man that was a LOT of stonework as far as the eye could see. I'm only a little ways in to 3 so far (just beat the curse-rotted greatwood last night) but already I'm seriously impressed by the environments. Especially how absolutely massive they seem to be!

I was also kind of worried about linearity, because I saw an abstracted map showing which major areas link to others, but actually getting in the game it seems like a non-issue. The individual areas are big enough with enough loopbacks and shortcuts you can open that it feels more like a return to DS1's design philosophy after 2's obvious hub-and-spoke setup.

e: oh no I burned a bone shard at firelink shrine, thinking it would reinforce my estus like the bone dust in 2, but now the bonfire level is 2. Did I just burn a DS2 bonfire ascetic equivalent? lmao

Son of Thunderbeast fucked around with this message at 01:05 on Mar 24, 2021

giZm
Jul 7, 2003

e: oh no I burned a bone shard at firelink shrine, thinking it would reinforce my estus like the bone dust in 2, but now the bonfire level is 2. Did I just burn a DS2 bonfire ascetic equivalent? lmao
Bones Hard make your Estus heal more, so you're good

Son of Thunderbeast
Sep 21, 2002
Oh phew!

Lol bones hard

Drakyn
Dec 26, 2012

If bones were easy, we wouldn't need to tell skeleton to keep trying so often.

Logan 5
Jan 29, 2007

Bash -> To the Cop

War Wizard posted:

I've seen people using the Great Lance, and that's classified as a polearm, but that's it. I feel there's potential for the Winged Knight Halberd in PvP but I haven't put the effort in.

You can make pretty much any of the polearms/halberds viable, but of all the halberd class weapons, the Winged Knight Halberd is usually considered one of the worst options for PVP.

Mostly because the spin weapon art. It doesn't really get hyperarmor despite being a 2-handed halberd attack, the charge animation for it is far too long and people can easily dodge/space away while you keep spinning, and it can eat up FP and stamina super quickly, especially since sometimes the only way you can get hits with it is to just keep going for far longer than your opponent thinks you will, as you can keep spinning forever up until you run out of stamina.

Near as I can tell too you only get a 2-hit guaranteed combo out of the WA before people can roll away too. This is a massive disadvantage when compared to most other halberds that have real true combos.

I believe the other 2 "weaker" polearm/halberds for PVP are the vanilla Halberd and the Crescent Axe, also mostly because of their WAs. Most people in PVP use the Splitleaf or Gundyr's (honestly getting sick of the Gundyr WA spam now), but in experienced hands the Lucerne, Red Tilted, Glaive, BK Glaive, Immolation Tinder, and the Crucifix of the Mad King can all slap.

The Greatlance is a Pike :colbert:

War Wizard
Jan 4, 2007

Ugh.. Farron woods full of sl30 peeps using gear from the ringed city. People really need to chill the gently caress out. My dinky pyromancer is playing for fun, I just want a gank or two against someone picking on crabs. Meanwhile some twink speced perfect for PvP is using password connection to pass down gear from the end game. Calm the gently caress down, dood.

Horace Kinch
Aug 15, 2007

War Wizard posted:

Ugh.. Farron woods full of sl30 peeps using gear from the ringed city. People really need to chill the gently caress out. My dinky pyromancer is playing for fun, I just want a gank or two against someone picking on crabs. Meanwhile some twink speced perfect for PvP is using password connection to pass down gear from the end game. Calm the gently caress down, dood.

Something about Road of Sacrifices is twink city. It sucks if you're trying to grind out 10 swordgrass for the Old Wolf curved sword (which is very good) because you are almost never going to get a fair fight. It's always some rear end in a top hat with all statrings and endgame weapons.

giZm
Jul 7, 2003

War Wizard posted:

As one of those SL30 twinks the best tip I can give you is to not run at the first person you see and attack blindly. Wait a bit and observe first,
Are all of the enemies dead? Chances are it's a fight club, just BC out. Are the two Exiles at the ladder still alive? Good chance for a solo host coming down from Halfway Fortress.

And Tyler Too! posted:

Something about Road of Sacrifices is twink city. It sucks if you're trying to grind out 10 swordgrass for the Old Wolf curved sword (which is very good) because you are almost never going to get a fair fight. It's always some rear end in a top hat with all statrings and endgame weapons.
The lack of vErTiCaLiTy makes Woods a good fightclub area. Luckily swordgrass is easily farmed from the Keep Ruins bonfire.

War Wizard
Jan 4, 2007

giZm posted:

As one of those SL30 twinks the best tip I can give you is to not run at the first person you see and attack blindly. Wait a bit and observe first,
Are all of the enemies dead? Chances are it's a fight club, just BC out. Are the two Exiles at the ladder still alive? Good chance for a solo host coming down from Halfway Fortress.

Oh I know. And I'd be fine with people running around with weapons and armor from the first 70% of the game, but get out of here with that ringed knight poo poo and +3 rings. It's the first 20 minutes of the game. Go blow your load in NG+

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Frida Call Me
Sep 28, 2001

Boy, you gotta carry that weight
Carry that weight a long time

War Wizard posted:

Oh I know. And I'd be fine with people running around with weapons and armor from the first 70% of the game, but get out of here with that ringed knight poo poo and +3 rings. It's the first 20 minutes of the game. Go blow your load in NG+

it's the nature of pvp games to get every advantage in order to stomp on people with less skill and preparation. it's a problem with practically every dark souls game. the only time you were going to get a fair fight invading was on the first week of release.