Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tombot
Oct 21, 2008
I saw in a video you can put a plutonium nuclear fuel cell into the awesome sink, giving us a sorta roundabout way of removing nuclear waste. We'll see how long that lasts for.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010
Capitol: A building or complex of buildings in which any legislature meets.
Capital: A city designated as a legislative seat by the government or some other authority, often the city in which the government is located; otherwise the most important city within a country or a subdivision of it.

Tombot posted:

I saw in a video you can put a plutonium nuclear fuel cell into the awesome sink, giving us a sorta roundabout way of removing nuclear waste. We'll see how long that lasts for.

If you're talking about the ImKibitz video he tested the other products needed in the refining the waste and they didn't work. It was only properly prepared and refined Plutonium Fuel Rods that worked so probably intentional.

Gives players the option of either having more power in return for a No Man's Land or safe, endless power.

A Moose
Oct 22, 2009

I still want to know why we can't dispose of nuclear waste with our SPACE ELEVATOR!

Tenebrais
Sep 2, 2011

Ben Nerevarine posted:

Has anyone tried hovering near powered railway?

Yes, it works - tracks power you just fine and you can fly seamlessly along their length.

Primpin and Pimpin
Sep 2, 2011

Started up a new multiplayer game on the experimental branch right after the update released. We're about.. 30? hours or so into this new playthrough and uh.. well. We have two alternate recipes from crash sites, but we've opened up five of them and the last three have not had hard drives at all. Any.. ideas? Is there a way to add them to our save game? I know they added new crash sites, but these were the ones near the desert start, by the oil sands and the one to the North of the start that needs to be powered to open. The host opened one crash site, I opened two, and all were empty. We just got the fuel generator unlocked and not having a bevy of alt recipes to pick through right now just feels bad.

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

launch that waste into the sun where the sun can use it as fuel, thanks

NoEyedSquareGuy
Mar 16, 2009

Just because Liquor's dead, doesn't mean you can just roll this bitch all over town with "The Freedoms."

Primpin and Pimpin posted:

Started up a new multiplayer game on the experimental branch right after the update released. We're about.. 30? hours or so into this new playthrough and uh.. well. We have two alternate recipes from crash sites, but we've opened up five of them and the last three have not had hard drives at all. Any.. ideas? Is there a way to add them to our save game? I know they added new crash sites, but these were the ones near the desert start, by the oil sands and the one to the North of the start that needs to be powered to open. The host opened one crash site, I opened two, and all were empty. We just got the fuel generator unlocked and not having a bevy of alt recipes to pick through right now just feels bad.

The Satisfactory Map site lets you switch to the experimental branch in the top right so you can probably edit a bunch of hard drives into a container. The missing hard drive thing is a known issue with multiplayer so you'll have to cheat your way around it for now.

Primpin and Pimpin
Sep 2, 2011

NoEyedSquareGuy posted:

The Satisfactory Map site lets you switch to the experimental branch in the top right so you can probably edit a bunch of hard drives into a container. The missing hard drive thing is a known issue with multiplayer so you'll have to cheat your way around it for now.

Oh cool, thanks for the heads up! We had to edit some stuff in our last playthrough because one player got launched into the air and fell to death from the big spider up in the jungle. Their crate spawned tucked into the cliff geometry and they had a hefty dose of power slugs from a gathering expedition so that could have been tragic. It's nice to be able to edit those save files. :3:

Megafunk
Oct 19, 2010

YEAH!
The hard drive issue appears to be client players being unable to see/grab the hard drive inside the opened ship. The host can go around and retrieve them in our save so far.

NoEyedSquareGuy
Mar 16, 2009

Just because Liquor's dead, doesn't mean you can just roll this bitch all over town with "The Freedoms."
Haven't reached particle colliders yet but drones are clearly the best part of this update. Central storage from my old save:

Central storage in my new save:

Excited to try out the new nuclear power now that I have it unlocked. My grid capacity is within a few hundred MW of the blue line so I need it anyway.

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

Delivery Drones were exactly what was on my wishlist of things for this game, for delivering stuff around without making ridiculous spaghetti loops winding around mountains.

I've decided to start a fresh save, but what specifically do particle accelerators do?

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week
lol my home base & space elevator are directly on top of a new fracking node. Just a water one though, in a place where I have no need for water.

Speedball posted:

I've decided to start a fresh save, but what specifically do particle accelerators do?

make "nuclear pasta", one of the final space elevator items

recycle nuclear waste into more fuel

nuclear pasta is pretty much the most endgame-y of items

Klyith fucked around with this message at 14:56 on Mar 22, 2021

Dr. Stab
Sep 12, 2010
👨🏻‍⚕️🩺🔪🙀😱🙀

plutonium fuel rod is the 3rd most valuable thing to sink in the game, so you night want to set them up for that.

Tirranek
Feb 13, 2014

Right, so I'm thinking of paving the ocean near the desert biome and building a big production facility there. Nice flat space, no overhead obstructions, handy source of water nearby. Am I missing anything?

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

Watch out for the kill zone

Tirranek
Feb 13, 2014

nielsm posted:

Watch out for the kill zone

Didn't even know there was one, thanks!

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

Tirranek posted:

Didn't even know there was one, thanks!

minor spoilers if you haven't unlocked the map yet: https://satisfactory.gamepedia.com/File:Map_border.jpg

non-spoiler version: the ocean to the east isn't a great place to build a big base. the ocean to the north & east is great.

Dr. Stab posted:

plutonium fuel rod is the 3rd most valuable thing to sink in the game, so you night want to set them up for that.

They're only 140k points which is ok, but definitely not the 3rd best thing anymore. Considering the effort needed to reprocess the waste that's kinda meh? Better than a poke in the eye but not worth setting up *just* for the points. The main thing would be zero waste, with the points as a nice bonus.

Also I was totally wrong about nuclear pasta being unsinkable, I misread a thing. They're worth a ton of points, so a much better point value for accelerators.

Paint Crop Pro
Mar 22, 2007

Find someone who values you like Rick Spielman values 7th round picks.

Primpin and Pimpin posted:

I had the same thing happen to me in a multi-player game that I also started with friends for 4.0

Have the host save the game, everyone exit and then rejoin.

The hard drives (both the ones you have found and used) will be on the ground under where you logged out.

Disappointing Pie
Feb 7, 2006
Words cannot describe what a disaster the pie was.
Does anyone have tips for someone who gets like 5 hours into the game, stares at their super spaghetti crazy inefficient crap on the ground then continually gives up?

I’ve mass deleted my stuff twice trying to build slightly more efficient designs but just can’t seem to get over that hurdle and I don’t know why.

Sweeper
Nov 29, 2007
The Joe Buck of Posting
Dinosaur Gum

Disappointing Pie posted:

Does anyone have tips for someone who gets like 5 hours into the game, stares at their super spaghetti crazy inefficient crap on the ground then continually gives up?

I’ve mass deleted my stuff twice trying to build slightly more efficient designs but just can’t seem to get over that hurdle and I don’t know why.

Build on foundations!! plan out exactly what you want from the start and never touch that part again.

If you need more upgrade the miner and split it or ship in more ore from somewhere else and build a new setup specifically for whatever you need

I never retrofit, there is always more space, use it

Ambaire
Sep 4, 2009

by Shine
Oven Wrangler

Instead of deleting, just take some resources and start another base somewhere else. Resources are infinite, so you don't need to worry about running out (once you get to/past coal power, at least).

Perhaps make your goal to just have a production chain for every item you have available to you. Make something to start (slowly) filling a container with iron plates. Then iron rods. Then copper wire. And work your way down the line. Eventually, no matter how slow and 'inefficient' the production is, you will have containers full of each thing ready to build a bigger, larger, better factory somewhere else.

And once you get the factory of your dreams, then you can deconstruct what helped you make it.

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

Try to leave yourself space for more; like plan one or two steps ahead. Got a pure iron node? Leave yourself room for 8 smelters since that will support a mk 2 miner. Space out the rest of your stuff so you have room to route stuff later.

But also, at some point, just make something that works. Having rotors automated in a bit of an ugly way is better then not automating them at all. Go set up another site if you want something fresh / optimized., and your ugly factory can at least continue to pump out supplies.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Build upwards too. It's great for organization, put all your smelters on one floor, the tier one stuff on the second floor, and whatever advanced widget you're trying to make on the third.

Then when you unlock a new milestone and need to remix stuff it'll turn into spaghetti again at which point you tear it all down and redesign.

Mayveena
Dec 27, 2006

People keep vandalizing my ID photo; I've lodged a complaint with HR

It helps to understand ratios. I don't, which is why I never make it much past oil.

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

Stop caring so much about efficiency. If your machines aren't running 100%, or you aren't fully utilizing every scrap of iron that you could produce, it don't matter. This is the world of infinite resources. Let it go.

In the first 5 hours everyone has an ugly spaghetti setup. You unlock something new every time you turn around, so spending time building something nice isn't worth it. It's much easier to take the new assembler you need and just jam it in somewhere. So don't try to build your early game factory like everything you will make in the future will extend from that blueprint. It won't. For one thing, if you've only played the first bit of the game you won't know what is important later, so you can't possibly plan for it.

And for another, it's really not worth trying. The difference in scale between early game and later on is just crazy. Early game you will have 5 smelters and a dozen machines. Late game you might have 50 smelters and a hundred machines for one factory / product line. It's like, you *could* build 50 smelters in your starter base and just not connect them all, but why bother? It's vastly easier to treat your starter base as either totally disposable, or at most the "little of everything" factory that makes stuff to build other factories with.

Oxyclean posted:

But also, at some point, just make something that works. Having rotors automated in a bit of an ugly way is better then not automating them at all. Go set up another site if you want something fresh / optimized., and your ugly factory can at least continue to pump out supplies.

Build ugly, and then hide it with a pretty building shell around the outside.

(Though I prefer building a pretty shell and then filling it with the ugly. Much like my life.)

boxen
Feb 20, 2011
Hell, I still have all of the machines to build iron rods, plates, and reinforced plates still in the same places they originally were when I built my first base, it was a spaghetti mess then and it's a spaghetti mess now, and I've only piled more noodles around it. I set up a coal powerplant as a distance away, laid out a little better, then an oil setup a distance from that, just steadily improving. All of it's still there and it works, I've updated bits of it as I've figured out better ways or as patches came out (I still need to retool my aluminum production). You get better at anticipating and planning, and if you keep restarting you're gonna run out of resources to build something big. Every node has unlimited resources, and there's a poo poo ton of most nodes, so efficiency and neatness are more for a fun challenge than a requirement.

After loving around with small satellite bases that didn't have a ton of organization, at about 130 hours in I decided to build a turbofuel power generator base and stop having power issues for awhile. It's currently making enough turbofuel to power 200+ generators, and that was a massive challenge to lay out and involved a couple of restarts. I hosed up the initial layout so the final generator layer is a mess, but meh. It still generates a fuckton of power (well, relative to what I'm used to), and I wanna try some other projects.

Leal
Oct 2, 2009
https://thumbs.gfycat.com/AccomplishedSplendidLabradorretriever-mobile.mp4

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
One of the things I want to try doing when I come back to this game (probably at 1.0) is building factories where I stuff my products into containers, and just split off of the same output line when I need to re-use that item for a later recipe. I.e., I have my plates factory, and in the early game it's going 100% into the plates container. At some point in the midgame, I put a splitter on the output conveyer, and re-use the same factory as an input somewhere else. When I need plates, I can pull them from the container, and the factory will suffer temporary inefficiency as the plates are split between storage and processing, but in exchange I don't have an entire factory sitting idle every time the box fills up.

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

cheetah7071 posted:

One of the things I want to try doing when I come back to this game (probably at 1.0) is building factories where I stuff my products into containers, and just split off of the same output line when I need to re-use that item for a later recipe. I.e., I have my plates factory, and in the early game it's going 100% into the plates container. At some point in the midgame, I put a splitter on the output conveyer, and re-use the same factory as an input somewhere else. When I need plates, I can pull them from the container, and the factory will suffer temporary inefficiency as the plates are split between storage and processing, but in exchange I don't have an entire factory sitting idle every time the box fills up.

You don't want to be moving 20,000 wire per minute over long distances.

Tirranek
Feb 13, 2014

It might be because I started this genre with Dyson Sphere Program, but I have an unhealthy obsession with power generation. Like, I need to make more, always, even if it's pointless. Everything must become energy.

Sweeper
Nov 29, 2007
The Joe Buck of Posting
Dinosaur Gum

Tirranek posted:

It might be because I started this genre with Dyson Sphere Program, but I have an unhealthy obsession with power generation. Like, I need to make more, always, even if it's pointless. Everything must become energy.

Imo it’s the easiest to see “number go up” feedback in these kinds of games. Like I can double my power gen from 4GW to 8GW or.. produce a turbo motor once in a while

That’s why I like it anyway

Mayveena
Dec 27, 2006

People keep vandalizing my ID photo; I've lodged a complaint with HR

Tirranek posted:

Geez what a change! Dyson to Factorio is a bit of a jump but Dyson to Satisfactory is a whole new ball game! I'm so looking forward to when experimental goes to stable so I can get my passive mod back.

ClassH
Mar 18, 2008
Update 4 is really great but man I miss Smart! everytime I go to build any sort of foundations or walls.

A Moose
Oct 22, 2009

Dev stream is live now, looks like sinking plutonium rods is intended behavior, its a trade-off between cutting into your power supply to make plutonium rods to sink, or using them to make even more power.

they are thinking of adjusting the power from plutonium rods though

A Moose fucked around with this message at 16:37 on Mar 23, 2021

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

cheetah7071 posted:

The solution to idle factories isn't containers, it's the awesome sink.

If you are producing more of an item than you need, throw things in the trash until you build other things to use it. If you aren't producing enough of an item for your demand, a few containers isn't gonna help. It's all about flow and supply vs demand.

(Unless what you're talking about is just the typical central storage room where you can grab stuff for building with. Which, yeah, an organized storage room is pretty great. IMO a lot of people go way overboard with it -- you really don't need a unique box full of every single item in the game. Personally I think a smaller storage room is way more usable, even if that means you have some multi-product boxes.)

A Moose posted:

they are thinking of adjusting the power from plutonium rods though

Hopefully without increasing the 30:1 ratio of uranium waste to plutonium waste.

12 rats tied together
Sep 7, 2006

Once you unlock splitter and merger you can build, I think(?), the most space efficient possible version of input/constructor/output. You can set a merger or splitter such that the placement box is one graduation "inside" the constructor's box but still be able to wire a one-tile belt in the gap between them. You can then build another constructor directly adjacent to the first, another splitter and merger, wire the splitters and mergers to each other, and then wire the mergers to your output destination and the splitters to your input source.

It's not the most input efficient setup since the further down the splitter chain your machine is, the slower it will get input resources, but so long as your supply is in excess of your consumption, it will eventually fill up anyway. Doing this lets you easily scale constructors attached to a single belt until you hit the throughput limit for whatever tier of belt you're at, since you can just keep extending the splitter/constructor/merger pattern.

Like the other poster said, it's best to ignore stockpiles or a resource bus, things of that nature, because you're always limited by where the resources are generated and the tier of the belt that feeds them into storage. If you're on tier 2, your max draw from a single storage source is 120/min, and the max rate you can supply that source is also 120/min, so if you need more than 120/min of a resource on a particular chain of construction, you can't support that yet and you need another set of inputs, storage, and outputs instead.

Clitch
Feb 26, 2002

I lived through
Donald Trump's presidency
and all I got was
this lousy virus
It might as well be intended to raze your operation and rebuild when you get into steel, because I can't see myself doing otherwise. That's about the time it starts to really behoove you to work out ratios and max out your ore sources.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.

ClassH posted:

Update 4 is really great but man I miss Smart! everytime I go to build any sort of foundations or walls.

Yeah is it experimental that won't allow mods? I tried using the mod manager to install into it but it doesn't seem to load smart! when I get in game. This pretty much kills my interest to continue at this point.

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

priznat posted:

Yeah is it experimental that won't allow mods? I tried using the mod manager to install into it but it doesn't seem to load smart! when I get in game. This pretty much kills my interest to continue at this point.

Experimental doesn't disallow mods, the issue is that U4 changed to a new version of Unreal and the existing mod loader doesn't work anymore. The people who made the mod loader are having to rewrite it for the engine change.

Coffee Stain sent them files to help ahead of U4 going out, but I'm guessing something changed big enough that their hook for adding stuff needs major rework. That or CS asked them to please fix their poo poo such that it doesn't constantly cause crashes on exit, so they stop getting flooded with error reports.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.
Aha! That explains it. U4 does look nicer so the engine update is definitely noticeable to even myself. I’ll hang back til the mod implementation is fixed, I just can’t go without Smart! Anymore :haw:

Also how do people do the spiral train tracks in that funny drone capture? Build with double ramps up and then remove them?