Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

The traditional interpretation is that P3 MC is a hardened sociopath.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DC Murderverse
Nov 10, 2016

"Tell that to Zod's snapped neck!"

PMush Perfect posted:

As well as several of the most heartbreaking.

The only one that I found truly heartbreaking so far is Haru (although inevitably having to let Kasumi down easy is probably gonna be hard as well)

Honestly the number of romances where the girl is completely clueless about romance is kinda weird. Obviously Futaba is gonna fall in that category, and all of the appropriately-aged romances have character-based reasons for being that way, plus there’s Chihaya, who is an adult that acts basically like the others when you romance her. She’s not quite in the “stop it you’re twice his age Jesus” category with Doc, Teach, and Ace Reporter. It just feels really weird that there seems to be absolutely no gap between “oh dear I’ve never kissed a boy before” and “look you can’t tell anyone about this until you’re 18 now come to my apartment”. Fully 50% of the relationships are with someone who has basically never spent any time with someone of the opposite gender who treats them like a human being.

Also in more specific complaints the difference between the last level of the link with Futaba confirmed my belief that romancing her is bad. in the romance scene she goes to Akihabara completely without you but then basically backslides into “please never leave me” which seems to make her desire to actually exist out in the world fall by the wayside. In the friendship scene you go with her to Akihabara, but she goes off on her own and forgets the time because she’s actually getting more comfortable being on her own. Joker getting into a relationship with her seems like it might hurt her in the long run, and honestly feels kind of like you’re taking advantage. It also feels weird given how the game sort of positions you as honorary siblings.

anakha
Sep 16, 2009

Harrow posted:

Royal is going to make even this look small because of a combination of two features. First, Ryuji has a confidant ability that lets you instakill Shadows you sprint into in Mementos if you're stronger than they are, and the requirement there is not as high as you'd think.

I may or may not have intentionally rushed Ryuji's Social Link to get Insta-Kill before completing Madarame's Palace. :v:

However, I'm getting mixed results trying to trigger it in the Palace. I make sure via Third Eye that the Shadow is green, then I try to sprint into it. Half the time it triggers, half the time I end up running past the Shadow and triggering the alarm instead. Is there something I'm missing when I try to use this skill?

Petiso
Apr 30, 2012

The green and blue borders look really similar sometimes, they might actually be blue. Also make sure you run into them dead-center without stopping.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Honestly I don't even really try using it in Palaces. It's much easier to use in Mementos, where as long as you're sprinting it'll trigger (either if you drive into the Shadow or press X to ram them).

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

Don't you instant kill super weak Shadows in vanilla P5 if you ambush then with the car? I'm pretty sure I remember that happening, but I don't remember if it was a Confidant perk or not.

S.D.
Apr 28, 2008
You did, but it basically only worked in Mementos and all you got was a a random mask for Joker - no xp, money or items.

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.
Yeah it basically ended up that getting Insta-Kill was a nerf since you don't get rewards (but in honesty, the rewards you would have gotten are meager at that point anyway if they're weak enough to Insta-Kill them).

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?

DC Murderverse posted:

The only one that I found truly heartbreaking so far is Haru (although inevitably having to let Kasumi down easy is probably gonna be hard as well)
I was talking about the heartbreaking scenes you get for cheating on the P4 girls, not for rejecting the P5 ones.

Solaris 2.0
May 14, 2008

PMush Perfect posted:

I was talking about the heartbreaking scenes you get for cheating on the P4 girls, not for rejecting the P5 ones.

I saw a few posts that said you can date Marie and another girl and that doesn't count as cheating? Or is that wrong?

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

Solaris 2.0 posted:

I saw a few posts that said you can date Marie and another girl and that doesn't count as cheating? Or is that wrong?
That's correct. Or, more accurately, she's otherwise preoccupied at the time when you'd get punished for it.

Acerbatus
Jun 26, 2020

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

DC Murderverse posted:

Honestly the number of romances where the girl is completely clueless about romance is kinda weird. Obviously Futaba is gonna fall in that category, and all of the appropriately-aged romances have character-based reasons for being that way, plus there’s Chihaya, who is an adult that acts basically like the others when you romance her. She’s not quite in the “stop it you’re twice his age Jesus” category with Doc, Teach, and Ace Reporter. It just feels really weird that there seems to be absolutely no gap between “oh dear I’ve never kissed a boy before” and “look you can’t tell anyone about this until you’re 18 now come to my apartment”. Fully 50% of the relationships are with someone who has basically never spent any time with someone of the opposite gender who treats them like a human being.

Chihaya is like 2 or 3 years older than Joker, as opposed to more like 10 for Tae, Kawakami and Ohya.

YggiDee
Sep 12, 2007

WASP CREW
I've always interpreted the P3MC's lack of... oomph as a side effect of having Death gestate in his subconscious for over a decade. Ryoji literally sucked up his personality. Alternate option: Maybe he's just a quiet kid and everyone else around him is so self-absorbed that they've taken his silence as support? Man I don't know. Who was he living with before he was moved to the SEES dorms? Has he just been moudering in a cupboard somewhere??

Acerbatus
Jun 26, 2020

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I think the idea was the persona 3 MC was a cipher; it took the idea of 'wearing masks' and having different personas to what it actually means, and he kinda just enabled whoever he was talking to.

I'd be happy if P6 had a non-silent protagonist, even if it was like a Fallout game where we just got to pick more dialogue options as opposed to being a wholly independent character.

DC Murderverse
Nov 10, 2016

It makes me laugh that both of the Nijima sisters appear to be better actors than Ann. I would kill to see Ann attempt improv comedy.

Acerbatus posted:

Chihaya is like 2 or 3 years older than Joker, as opposed to more like 10 for Tae, Kawakami and Ohya.

I sort of assumed like, 21-22, assuming she’d left her home after high school and spent a couple of years telling fortunes and scamming people for a cult

anakha
Sep 16, 2009

Huh, didn't know Takemi was romanceable. Kinda creepy when you think about it.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

anakha posted:

Kinda creepy when you think about it.
Say hello to about half of the P5 romances.

anakha
Sep 16, 2009

LOL, I'm still in early June in-game. That just means a lot more hilarity to come.

Unlucky7
Jul 11, 2006

Fallen Rib
So November. That was a good rear end Palace.

Also HUGE NOVEMBER SPOILERS

SERIOUSLY I MEAN IT. ballsballsballsballsballsballs ballsballsballs Ya know, I did see the twist coming, but I have to admit, I marked out

RillAkBea
Oct 11, 2008

anakha posted:

Huh, didn't know Takemi was romanceable. Kinda creepy when you think about it.

You have to get the exact right answers though in the 9th confidant event or she'll reject you.

Playing some more of P3 FES, it's absolutely hilarious taking Elizabeth round the mall. :3:

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

RillAkBea posted:

You have to get the exact right answers though in the 9th confidant event or she'll reject you.

Playing some more of P3 FES, it's absolutely hilarious taking Elizabeth round the mall. :3:
Even on female route in P3P, I still generally choose Liz. She's such a fun character.

Acerbatus
Jun 26, 2020

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
This is old news but the Cutting Room Floor has really interesting cut content.

Also some funny things.

TCRF posted:

Disguise as a gigolo. Usable when Sex Appeal is at "Dripping".

Deltasquid
Apr 10, 2013

awww...
you guys made me ink!

THUNDERDOME

Acerbatus posted:

This is old news but the Cutting Room Floor has really interesting cut content.

Also some funny things.

I’m... not entirely sure what any of this post relates to but it sounds magical

DC Murderverse
Nov 10, 2016

December spoilers:

i thought I had already spoiled myself on the ending completely but man Akechi being Shido’s kid shocked me. I think the song that played during the Shido battles was underwhelming. I know there’s a little more to go but it felt like it was trying to be final-boss-epic but wasn’t mixed quite right. And Ryuji’s near-death was exhilarating, even if I knew he was gonna be ok. He got his big hero moment! I also think I ship Ann/Ryuji now, her reaction to his sacrifice was touching and I just like the two of them together.

Also more generally it’s been fun to track my feelings towards Akechi as the game has gone on

Introduction: oh look a cute little Sherlock Holmes-y rival who clearly has something going on because he can hear Morgana
Through the first half of the social link: oh man it’s a real shame they don’t get to fall in love so Akechi has to hunt down the one person who has ever truly understood him
After Futaba’s palace: maybe he turns evil because everyone gives up on him and cheers for the thieves and that makes him crazy
After Ohmura’s palace: hmm, maybe my initial thoughts weren’t right, I know he joins the party eventually maybe he realizes that the phantom thieves are good and teams up
School Festival: it’s weird that Makoto is so unsure of whether he will come to our festival me and him are besties and he so obviously knows who we are
After the 7th/8th social links: oh he hates me lol you whiny bitch I know you’re gonna gently caress us over
November: oh man he’s an actual factual sociopath, I thought I was Hannibal and he was Will Graham but I think it must be the other way around
December: his brain is completely broken in ways I did not expect he’s like a loving Batman villain he’s a golem of hate of course he’s Loki he’s killed dozens of people are we really supposed to think he’s not beyond saving? What the gently caress game? How do people ship this maniac with anyone?

In a game where most of the characters don’t have that many layers beyond a general sense of “hiding my true self” and/or “adults hosed me up,” Akechi is like a giant insecure onion.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

Well, Loki is kind of like an ogre...

Hunt11
Jul 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer

DC Murderverse posted:

December: his brain is completely broken in ways I did not expect he’s like a loving Batman villain he’s a golem of hate of course he’s Loki he’s killed dozens of people are we really supposed to think he’s not beyond saving? What the gently caress game? How do people ship this maniac with anyone?

Surely you have been on the internet long enough to know the answer to this question.

lunar detritus
May 6, 2009

DC Murderverse posted:

December spoilers:

I think the song that played during the Shido battles was underwhelming. I know there’s a little more to go but it felt like it was trying to be final-boss-epic but wasn’t mixed quite right.

:hmmwrong:

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

Internet’s gonna internet. To dig up the bar that’s so low that it’s underground, I still prefer that ship over all the shipping that happened with (Persona 4 spoilers) Adachi. At least Akechi’s the same age as the protagonist.

Lord_Magmar
Feb 24, 2015

"Welcome to pound town, Slifer slacker!"

Also it helps that Akechi basically proposes to Joker in rank 8 by saying you are the only person I have ever felt this way about, and just in general that choosing the right options there and on the ship shows that Joker actually was helping Akechi be less insane. To be fair that was by focusing on his rivalry with Joker, but it’s certainly the healthiest relationship Akechi has ever had. Also so many of the confidant scenes (added in Royal) ooze tension out of every pore because Atlus realised they’d struck gold in terms of that sort of romance fan.

Personally, I support the ship in question from the interesting story angle more than anything. It helps that there’s a truly incredible duet sung by Akechi and Joker’s voice actors that sums up their entire deal super well. I might link it after you’re done with the game.

Ethiser
Dec 31, 2011

People have been shipping Sherlock Holmes and Moriarty long before Persona 5 was even a glint in Atlus' eye. It is no surprise that so many people latched on to something similar.

DC Murderverse
Nov 10, 2016

Hunt11 posted:

Surely you have been on the internet long enough to know the answer to this question.

Oh yeah I know that’s the actual answer but honestly I expected that to make more sense as the story went along but honestly it makes less

Unlucky7
Jul 11, 2006

Fallen Rib
Question about December: I know for most of the palaces, when you are in the period between getting to the end of the palace and sending out the calling card you can’t do party member confidants. Does that apply here?

Lord_Magmar
Feb 24, 2015

"Welcome to pound town, Slifer slacker!"

In terms of the non-shipping stuff Akechi likely got his powers when he was 11-13, and then went to Shido with some vague plan of getting close enough to destroy his hated father. Shido then took a child and manipulated him into being a killer for Shido’s conspiracy to rule Japan. Likely Shido was overseeing Wakaba Isshiki (Futaba’s mother) research and when approached by a child that claimed such powers and presumably proved them in some manner decided to have Wakaba killed so only Shido could benefit from the Metaverse. Akechi killed, but he was a child, Shido is the one who led him to being a killer. Notably the Phantom Thieves do not forgive him, they just don’t want him dead because they’re moral people.

Also yeah, the Moriarty and Holmes rivalry does a lot for it.

Hunt11
Jul 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Unlucky7 posted:

Question about December: I know for most of the palaces, when you are in the period between getting to the end of the palace and sending out the calling card you can’t do party member confidants. Does that apply here?

I think it still does. Usually the only time it does not apply to is the November Palace due to plot reasons.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.

DC Murderverse posted:

Also in more specific complaints the difference between the last level of the link with Futaba confirmed my belief that romancing her is bad. in the romance scene she goes to Akihabara completely without you but then basically backslides into “please never leave me” which seems to make her desire to actually exist out in the world fall by the wayside. In the friendship scene you go with her to Akihabara, but she goes off on her own and forgets the time because she’s actually getting more comfortable being on her own. Joker getting into a relationship with her seems like it might hurt her in the long run, and honestly feels kind of like you’re taking advantage. It also feels weird given how the game sort of positions you as honorary siblings.

is it ok to romance her specifically because you want Sojiro to be your dad

Scrap Dragon
Oct 6, 2013

SECRET TECHNIQUE:
DARK SHADOW
BLACK FALLEN ANGEL!

Sojiro is your dad regardless :colbert:

GCValentine
Oct 25, 2007
Important Event
Is hard worth it for a first playthrough in P5? I wanted to have combat strategy mean more but it seems like Morgana gets consistently one-shot by midboss/stronger shadows using their special physical attacks. I tried just having him defend except when there was a status on the enemy, but if he acts and they recover he just gets one shotted :smith:

Does stuff like this continue in hard difficulty as you get farther in, or will damage get less swingy as party members level up?

Acerbatus
Jun 26, 2020

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Only very slightly, in that you need to remember to keep up attack debuffs and defence buffs more.

In the 6th palace when the boss starts spamming Almighty attacks, Joker got oneshot so I had to either grind or drop the difficulty.

Deltasquid
Apr 10, 2013

awww...
you guys made me ink!

THUNDERDOME
It becomes less of an issue (the first palace is the hardest due to a lack of resources and options). I'd suggest using more buffs and debuffs for midbosses, and maybe swapping to merciless (it increases damage when hitting weaknesses across the board, both for you and for enemies, so maybe it actually makes it easier for you if you prioritise strategising?)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Orcs and Ostriches
Aug 26, 2010

The Great Twist

GCValentine posted:

Is hard worth it for a first playthrough in P5? I wanted to have combat strategy mean more but it seems like Morgana gets consistently one-shot by midboss/stronger shadows using their special physical attacks. I tried just having him defend except when there was a status on the enemy, but if he acts and they recover he just gets one shotted :smith:

Does stuff like this continue in hard difficulty as you get farther in, or will damage get less swingy as party members level up?

I don't remember Morgana being that fragile, but as the game progresses you will unlock skills that let you swap party members in battle, and other things that might mitigate the issue, like buffs/debuffs. Really you shouldn't be too worried about characters dieing except for really special attacks, or getting hit by weaknesses.

That said I thought hard was a good fair challenge, but I have like 5 p3 clears, and 4 p4 clears by the time 5 came out.