Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

eltoozero
Jun 5, 2003
The Most Pop-tastic Man of Action.
For those thinking about Prusa MMU2S, I created this video to explain how it works:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n5AAarO-3J4

Gets a bad rap, but it’s a cool gadget.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Erev
Jun 9, 2013

eltoozero posted:

For those thinking about Prusa MMU2S, I created this video to explain how it works:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n5AAarO-3J4

Gets a bad rap, but it’s a cool gadget.

I've only skimmed the video so far, but it looks like it has a bunch of great info. My own 3d printing purposes fall into the camps of either making miniatures and terrain or creating props for LARP (and, of course, printing out anything that just looks fun). In both main cases the stuff is likely to wind up coated in primer and painted so I really just need one material and I figured a water soluble material would be handy for dealing with supports and make my life easier. I suppose it comes mostly down to the claimed increased precision of the MMU2S having one nozzle vs a two nozzle solution where I can save material.

Class Warcraft
Apr 27, 2006

Finally followed this thread's advice and got the flex plate for my Photon Mono and also a wash/cure station. Holy poo poo, printing in resin isn't a nightmare anymore!

insta
Jan 28, 2009

pbpancho posted:

I've got that pretty dialed in by slowing the print down, otherwise the underextrusion was making it tough.

Haven't done one. Just bought this used last week. Will give it a shot though!

Assume the last owner put a cheap nozzle on it, and replace it with a $6+ nozzle

Sydney Bottocks
Oct 15, 2004

Got my Bidenbux and decided to pull the trigger on a third resin printer. Ended up grabbing an Elegoo Mars 2 along with some accessories after finding a pretty good deal for one on Amazon. From what I've read it's supposed to print a fair bit faster than the OG Mars due to having a mono screen, so I'll be looking forward to that. :)

Cory Parsnipson
Nov 15, 2015
I'm seeing these stretch-mark lookin things on my later prints:

Does anyone know what this is and if it has any bearing on whether or not I have my z adjust dialed in correctly? (Using a Prusa MK3S kit)

insta
Jan 28, 2009
Too close to the bed. Try raising 0.1mm

Paradoxish
Dec 19, 2003

Will you stop going crazy in there?

Cory Parsnipson posted:

I'm seeing these stretch-mark lookin things on my later prints:

Does anyone know what this is and if it has any bearing on whether or not I have my z adjust dialed in correctly? (Using a Prusa MK3S kit)

You're definitely a little bit too close to the bed. Just back it off slightly and see if it improves.

Cory Parsnipson
Nov 15, 2015
I did a large range of values and it seems to make it worse. The previous picture was at -1.705.

Here's -1.685 and -1.695. It appears to be more frequent. I also have runs at -1.700, -1.702, -1.707, and -1.715, but they all look pretty identical to -1.705.

Maybe I'm just waaaay too close? I read that the textured sheet needs you to squish down the z adjust by a lot and I got to -1.7 by trying to match the texture pattern with the parts on the machine itself. Very confused though, because if I was too close, it's still not adhering for certain pieces. I was double checking my z adjust before I add the glue stick.

e. tried the glue stick. Holy hell, those fuckers were bolted down!

Cory Parsnipson fucked around with this message at 08:32 on Mar 19, 2021

Blackhawk
Nov 15, 2004

Big dumb 3D printed 6x12 film camera is nearly done, just waiting for some glue to dry.

Printed on an ender 3 pro using mostly carbon fibre PETG because that's what I had. Removing support material was a huge bitch and I had to do a lot of sanding/filing to get the parts to fit together nicely at the end as I'm slightly biased towards over-extruding.

Dr. Despair
Nov 4, 2009

39 perfect posts with each roll.

Do you have a link to the stl's/instructions for that? Seems very up my alley.

Blackhawk
Nov 15, 2004

Dr. Despair posted:

Do you have a link to the stl's/instructions for that? Seems very up my alley.

A guy in the Dorkroom who apparently looked at a lot of the different 3D printed 6x12 camera designs thought that the Kraken 612 was the best, so I took his advice and went with that. It's a paid thing off etsy but I thought the guy deserved some beer money.

His website is here: http://frozenphoton.com/kraken/

His etsy store: https://www.etsy.com/listing/790289977/the-kraken-612-3d-printable-panoramic

Ziggy Smalls
May 24, 2008

If pain's what you
want in a man,
Pain I can do

Blackhawk posted:

A guy in the Dorkroom who apparently looked at a lot of the different 3D printed 6x12 camera designs thought that the Kraken 612 was the best, so I took his advice and went with that. It's a paid thing off etsy but I thought the guy deserved some beer money.

His website is here: http://frozenphoton.com/kraken/

His etsy store: https://www.etsy.com/listing/790289977/the-kraken-612-3d-printable-panoramic

That was me! Every other film camera I could find was fixed focus and very poorly optimized for printing.

I'm actually working on a ring to put on the focus helical that has a focus lever. I'm thinking of putting focus distance numbers on it as well.

This is the bottom half of the ring in progress.

Acid Reflux
Oct 18, 2004

Sydney Bottocks posted:

Got my Bidenbux and decided to pull the trigger on a third resin printer. Ended up grabbing an Elegoo Mars 2 along with some accessories after finding a pretty good deal for one on Amazon. From what I've read it's supposed to print a fair bit faster than the OG Mars due to having a mono screen, so I'll be looking forward to that. :)
It's an incredible speed difference. I took delivery of an Epax E10 yesterday and successfully ran a couple of small test prints after verifying my exposure time... which is 2.5 seconds per 0.05mm layer with the resin I'm using. Of course there's still the same general amount of time spent moving the plate up and down, but something that would have taken close to 13 hours on my little Qidi Shadow took a little under five in the Epax. I'm really looking forward to printing some bigger prop and costume stuff with it.

I also ended up ordering a Photon Mono the other day because they were on sale at Amazon for $212. That should be here today, and then I'm going to pass the Shadow down to a friend at work who's been wanting to get into resin.

Korwen
Feb 26, 2003

don't mind me, I'm just out hunting.

Cory Parsnipson posted:

I did a large range of values and it seems to make it worse. The previous picture was at -1.705.

Here's -1.685 and -1.695. It appears to be more frequent. I also have runs at -1.700, -1.702, -1.707, and -1.715, but they all look pretty identical to -1.705.

Maybe I'm just waaaay too close? I read that the textured sheet needs you to squish down the z adjust by a lot and I got to -1.7 by trying to match the texture pattern with the parts on the machine itself. Very confused though, because if I was too close, it's still not adhering for certain pieces. I was double checking my z adjust before I add the glue stick.

e. tried the glue stick. Holy hell, those fuckers were bolted down!

Maybe try dialing it back a whole lot, and try to dial it in from a distance that is too far. Maybe try just -1.58 or -1.60, and then bump it up by a hundredth each time.

Acid Reflux
Oct 18, 2004

Yeah, that nozzle probably needs to come up by a tenth, not a hundredth. "Squish" is a very subjective term... what's important is to get your initial nozzle gap as close to zero [units] as possible, with both physical adjustments and using any software/firmware settings you may have to change to achieve that. A slicer will always assume that the bed surface is Z=0, so any vertical motion will be relative to that assumption. If you're trying to lay down a 0.2mm first layer, but you've got your Z offset cranked down too far, the machine will happily try to cram a volume of filament meant to extrude in a 0.2mm space into whatever smaller gap you've left it. Conversely, if your initial gap is too high, you'll end up under extruding because now you're not pushing enough material to fill the available volume.

eltoozero
Jun 5, 2003
The Most Pop-tastic Man of Action.

Ziggy Smalls posted:

That was me! Every other film camera I could find was fixed focus and very poorly optimized for printing.

Hey I wasn’t part of that convo, but what about the Dora Goodman stuff?

This is the iPhone DSLR lens mount, I coded a Pentax K-mount from some Russian government spec docs.

Their main gig is medium format printed cams and stuff, check it out.

Blackhawk
Nov 15, 2004

eltoozero posted:

Hey I wasn’t part of that convo, but what about the Dora Goodman stuff?

This is the iPhone DSLR lens mount, I coded a Pentax K-mount from some Russian government spec docs.

Their main gig is medium format printed cams and stuff, check it out.

Ahh yeah I have seen those but they don't do a 6x12 panoramic camera, and I was specifically looking for that format.

w00tmonger
Mar 9, 2011

F-F-FRIDAY NIGHT MOTHERFUCKERS

Is there's cause for a layer slipping to the left/right on my ender 3 a couple inches up?

Really annoying to come down to a 2 day print that's shifted near the end of things

Ambihelical Hexnut
Aug 5, 2008
When that's happened to me it's been skipped steps, likely resulting from nozzle drooling or too much infil piling up. After a while the amount of plastic blob becomes large enough to cause the nozzle to impact the print, stalling out an axis motor for a second and then the rest of the print is offset. Here's where that happened to me on a gear that takes almost half a spool to print:

w00tmonger
Mar 9, 2011

F-F-FRIDAY NIGHT MOTHERFUCKERS

Ambihelical Hexnut posted:

When that's happened to me it's been skipped steps, likely resulting from nozzle drooling or too much infil piling up. After a while the amount of plastic blob becomes large enough to cause the nozzle to impact the print, stalling out an axis motor for a second and then the rest of the print is offset. Here's where that happened to me on a gear that takes almost half a spool to print:

Is the fix likely just do dial in the extrusion percent then?

Ambihelical Hexnut
Aug 5, 2008
Well it could be extruding too much (dial down extrusion or calibrate steps), or it could be drizzling when it's not supposed to (nozzle too hot, retraction not enough during travel moves), or you could be overlapping too much for the size of nozzle you have (line width/etc). This could also be caused by a mechanical problem like a bit of filament that fell into the movement path of an axis or a binding spot or poorly adjusted wheels, and probably less commonly by weird problems like stepper overheating or controller/driver overheating. Your slicer might let you do z-hops on travel moves which might allow you to simply ignore the problem for whatever specific print you're doing, but maybe not.

Troubleshooting a print that long is a job for a time lapse camera.

Endjinneer
Aug 17, 2005
Fallen Rib

w00tmonger posted:

What's the best upgrade path for the ender 3 buoldplate of I want to do Petg?

Right now I have the heated glass bed, but obviously printing on that directly is a bad move. Do I get a buildtak flexible sheet or something like that?

I've got PETG printing onto an Ender 3 v2 glass bed covered in green painter's "frog" tape right now. I don't know if we have blue tape in the UK. Green is what I had to hand. If it hadn't stuck I would probably have experimented with basic masking tape.
I know printing on tape is seen as a bit retro here, but as a rank amateur it's quite reassuring to have a build surface that's easily replaceable. Nozzle and build plate seem to be the two parts I'd be most likely to mash into each other.

Hamburlgar
Dec 31, 2007

WANTED
Yeah, blue painters tape on the glass bed is what I use when printing PETG in the past.

I have since upgraded to the steel flex plate with EZMat from TH3D, but haven’t printed PETG since making that upgrade.

Nerobro
Nov 4, 2005

Rider now with 100% more titanium!

w00tmonger posted:

Is there's cause for a layer slipping to the left/right on my ender 3 a couple inches up?

Really annoying to come down to a 2 day print that's shifted near the end of things

lots of my layer shift issues are solved by turning up the print temp a little. "something" is catching. Can be over extrustion, can be bad model design, can be a whole lot of things.

Is it consistent that it's the same height? Then you might wanna look at the Z screw. Some light oil, or lithium grease is likely in order in that case. Also, you might wanna make sure your Z carraige wheels are tight, this might be a "sag" issue?

Because someone said "tape", and no. If you wanna do PETG on your glass, get some glue stick down, and go to town.

Wibla
Feb 16, 2011

A buddy asked me if I could print the parts for a nerf gun and I figured it looked like a fun project to stress test my new Mini+...

I'm 36.6 hours in (of 50 total) and so far the Mk2.5 has printed 28.4 hours with no issues while the Mini+ clogged badly after a few hours and now sits at 8.2 hours :v:

I think an extruder upgrade might be in the cards for the Mini+, I really don't like how that extruder gear + idler setup looks.

Dominoes
Sep 20, 2007

Hi. I want to buy a 3d printer to help me learn CAD and then make injection molds. Which should I buy? Smallish enclosures etc for electronics / displays etc. I remember before the ones that turned out to be popular were tough to buy, or involved long wait times.

Creality Ender 3?

Dominoes fucked around with this message at 20:56 on Mar 22, 2021

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

ERM... Actually I have stellar scores on the surveys, and every year students tell me that my classes are the best ones they’ve ever taken.
Explain more about the injection molds part. Do you expect to make molds on the printer, or do you just want to practice making plastic boxes with an eye to eventually getting a mold cut?

Dominoes
Sep 20, 2007

The latter.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

ERM... Actually I have stellar scores on the surveys, and every year students tell me that my classes are the best ones they’ve ever taken.
Okay, then any printer will be fine. Thread favorite Ender 3 will do well. So will my personal favorite, any Prusa.

However, note that injection molding is an entirely different process from 3D printing, so the design's geometry is likely to be different. Some things are easy on a 3D printer but impossible with a mold and vice versa. When you take your design to an injection-molding firm, they will also tell you about any modifications that are required to have it mold properly with their particular process (and will make those changes themselves), so trying to make it perfect right off the bat isn't really necessary.

NewFatMike
Jun 11, 2015

SOLIDWORKS includes a shitload of injection molding tools built in, so if you're really aiming for that, might as well include $40 for the EAA to get a non-commercial license from them while you're learning.

I'm taking the certification for it this week, it's pretty simple to use.

Dominoes
Sep 20, 2007

Ordered.

I was planning to use FreeCad, but have heard Solid is much nicer.... but was tracking a much higher price point than that.

edit: Found a way to get student edition for $20, if I can figure some forms out

Dominoes fucked around with this message at 22:53 on Mar 22, 2021

NewFatMike
Jun 11, 2015

Yeah, all the EDU versions are strictly non-commercial, and the files are watermarked. It's certainly the best tool for the job, and the tools for injection molding are really great.

If you're going a startup route or something, there are programs for a free first year and discounted versions in following years.

I can go on, but if you're worried about transitioning from learning to commercial, I'm happy to help in DMs.

Ambrose Burnside
Aug 30, 2007

pensive

Ambrose Burnside posted:

I need to buy a whole whack of gloves for resin stuff so I did some materials research and was surprised to learn that neither latex nor nitrile act as effective barriers against the irritating/sensitizing components in photopolymers, and that you should immediately remove and discard of said gloves upon any contact with resin. I'm surprised this hasn't come up yet in everything I've read. "Wear gloves", sure, but zip about how to actually use the gloves and why it matters.
I don't see how it's possible to keep resin off your gloves given how resin-based printers are designed and how the user interacts with them, so following best practices w disposable gloves doesn't really sound practical. Butyl rubber is the ideal barrier material for handling esters like photopolymer resin, but disposable butyl gloves are nooooot cheap. I wonder if using thick 'not-single-use' butyl gloves and washing them after use- dip n lather your hands in a dedicated alcohol Glove Bath when you're done, or something like that- is a viable alternative. I don't like the waste of disposable gloves to begin with and find them very easily punctured by supports from prints, if I also have to go through a half-dozen pairs of gloves per print for them to actually work as intended then paying more for gloves I only have to replace every couple of months or w/e seems like a good

checking back in on reusable gloves- i’ve been using Honeywell unstructured 13um-thick butyl rubber gloves for about two weeks now, and it’s a mixed bag. they certainly work fine, and I haven’t thrown out any gloves since I started; otoh the thicker + looser-fitting glove is less dexterous, and the butyl rubber itself seems very slightly tacky no matter how I clean them afterwards- i think it’s at least partially inherent to the rubber itself because alcohol/soap n water doesn’t fix it - andI find they tend to track dust and bench grime into the resin tank if i’m not careful. that last one’s a problem- I can double-glove w the nitrile disposables as an outer barrier that cleans up easily and isn’t such a dust magnet, and just reuse them til they tear, but that’s a pretty lousy method of throwing out fewer gloves, you know?

fortunately I also needed proper chemical gloves for handling much nastier compounds than resin, so they’ll be put to good use regardless, but yeah you really need to tame the Dust Magnet factor in some way or they’re frustrating/clumsy to work with. a butyl glove with a more suitable facing/overlay material on the gripping surfaces- a structured glove, i guess?- would address 95% of my issues here.

Ambrose Burnside fucked around with this message at 01:33 on Mar 23, 2021

NewFatMike
Jun 11, 2015

Think surgical gloves would work? I was thinking about these for a few home projects:

https://www.fishersci.com/shop/products/smooth-finish-14-mil-butyl-gloves-5/p-7145184

I realize now most surgeons would use disposables in TYOOL 2021, so I guess they're really more "old timey mad scientist gloves"

Lutha Mahtin
Oct 10, 2010

Your brokebrain sin is absolved...go and shitpost no more!

I just got an Ender 3 v2. This will be the first 3D printer I have ever used. I did a few searches online and a there's a lot of guides out there that say I should buy this or that little part before I even put the thing together, because if you replace part A and B when you build it then you won't run into XYZ down the road. Are any of these suggestions critical?

senrath
Nov 4, 2009

Look Professor, a destruct switch!

From my understanding you want to replace the bedsprings because the default ones are flimsy and the extruder setup because it'll eventually crack and cause problems.

Dr. Fishopolis
Aug 31, 2004

ROBOT
yeah that and check the power connections, make sure there isn't dumb stuff like soldered wire tips going into screw-down terminals.

Bondematt
Jan 26, 2007

Not too stupid

Lutha Mahtin posted:

I just got an Ender 3 v2. This will be the first 3D printer I have ever used. I did a few searches online and a there's a lot of guides out there that say I should buy this or that little part before I even put the thing together, because if you replace part A and B when you build it then you won't run into XYZ down the road. Are any of these suggestions critical?

Bed springs and a quality Micro SD card are the only necessary upgrades.

Better Bowden tube, Bowden connections, and all metal extruder are nice to have and shouldn't mess with tuning the Ender as it's all close to stock.

I went with this kit and so far everything has been flawless once I squared my gantry. https://www.amazon.com/dp/B081DN6RM2?ref=ppx_pop_mob_ap_share

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Some Pinko Commie
Jun 9, 2009
Probation
Can't post for 23 hours!

NewFatMike posted:

I'm taking the certification for it this week, it's pretty simple to use.

Which certification? There are a lot of them.