Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
warch
This poll is closed.
warch 68 44.44%
warch 85 55.56%
Total: 153 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009

VideoGames posted:

????? Consumes HP to run?

Yes. Lunar Dragon Song, a game that I've heard barely has anything to do with the Lunar series and you have to walk everywhere because running takes away your hp. You also don't get to pick which enemy you're targeting in battle and on top of that you also have to choose between getting items from a battle or getting experience from a battle.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

goblin week
Jan 26, 2019

Absolute clown.
Didn't Ys 1 do that too?

VideoGames
Aug 18, 2003
Gotta give it to them, that is a wild system to have the game run by. Not my cup of tea but yikes.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

I mean, if you're a successful actress and you go out of the house in a skirt and without underwear, knowing that paparazzi are just waiting for opportunities like this and that it has happened many times before, then there's really nobody you can blame for it but yourself.
Yeah, it's one of the big reasons why everyone and their mother just absolutely hated that game. Slow gameplay? One thing. Making you hold a button to get anywhere in sane amount of time? Another thing.

Making you pay in HP for getting somewhere in a sane amount of time? What kind of absolute idiot would ever think that is even remotely a good idea?

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~
Ok so there are no bad games except Iggy's Reckin' Balls, Custer's Revenge and Lunar Dragon Song. Top work people we got there

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010

goblin week posted:

Didn't Ys 1 do that too?

Not really? You ran into enemies to hurt them but have to clip them so you’re barely touching their sprite or else you get hurt too.

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

goblin week posted:

Didn't Ys 1 do that too?

literally none of it

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009

goblin week posted:

Didn't Ys 1 do that too?

Ys 1 and 2 had strategic bumping where you could trade blows by running into an enemy but you could run at angles to hit them without being hit back, nothing at all like dragon song

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VGQZItOMz6k

Barudak
May 7, 2007

While we're ragging on Lunar Dragon Song lets mention other great things about it

1) The way you make money is accepting delivery quests, fighting monsters to get the items you need, going to the destination and turning them in. This is mind numbingly tedious but there is no fast travel between places on the world map, if a town is 3 dungeons apart you gotta go through those three dungeons again, buddy. Where it reaches the peak is that the quests it gives you are entirely randomized, so the optimal way to make money is just have the game reroll quests as frequently as possible hoping the delivery is in the same town you start in for items you already have so that you can avoid ever actually delivering packages which is literally the protagonists job.

2) The final boss is a palette swapped boss you already beat

3) Just before the final boss fight, a character in your party sacrifices themselves to slow down the boss. You then take their sword and throw it into the boss as a symbol of revenge and honoring the fallen. The boss, completely unfazed, tears the sword out of themselves and proceeds to use it for the remainder of the fight to deal massive AoE damage to your party.

Mode 7
Jul 28, 2007

Barudak posted:

3) Just before the final boss fight, a character in your party sacrifices themselves to slow down the boss. You then take their sword and throw it into the boss as a symbol of revenge and honoring the fallen. The boss, completely unfazed, tears the sword out of themselves and proceeds to use it for the remainder of the fight to deal massive AoE damage to your party.

This is good, actually

VideoGames
Aug 18, 2003

Barudak posted:

That is absolutely awesome in every way.

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

Yeah that part sounds cool

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

I mean, if you're a successful actress and you go out of the house in a skirt and without underwear, knowing that paparazzi are just waiting for opportunities like this and that it has happened many times before, then there's really nobody you can blame for it but yourself.
It's incredibly cool from an outside perspective, but it makes you feel like poo poo when you're playing. One of the reasons I think conventional writing skills apply badly to writing for video games.

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

Barudak posted:

While we're ragging on Lunar Dragon Song lets mention other great things about it

1) The way you make money is accepting delivery quests, fighting monsters to get the items you need, going to the destination and turning them in. This is mind numbingly tedious but there is no fast travel between places on the world map, if a town is 3 dungeons apart you gotta go through those three dungeons again, buddy. Where it reaches the peak is that the quests it gives you are entirely randomized, so the optimal way to make money is just have the game reroll quests as frequently as possible hoping the delivery is in the same town you start in for items you already have so that you can avoid ever actually delivering packages which is literally the protagonists job.

2) The final boss is a palette swapped boss you already beat

I am still upset I bought this game. In case you forgot it cost MORE than a DS game at the time on top of that bullshit

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Cardiovorax posted:

It's incredibly cool from an outside perspective, but it makes you feel like poo poo when you're playing. One of the reasons I think conventional writing skills apply badly to writing for video games.

Yeah it sounds kickin rad if you're reading it. In game it is the culmination of 20+ hours of your character being told they suck, having someone die, and the final boss just disrespecting you. You don't even kill the final boss so theres no catharsis and the ending of the game is "nothing you did mattered, go play a good Lunar game"

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~
Ninja Gaiden II is so awesome. Not long ago I was fighting up the Statue of Liberty and now I'm going through the canals of Venice. It's such a huge upgrade from the first game's 'empty neon city at night that might as well be Tokyo'. I thought the first game was a fairly solid character action game with nothing to really make it stand out aside from the incredibly wobbly boob physics but drat the sequel is real fun, so far it's a step up in every single way

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

Barudak posted:

Yeah it sounds kickin rad if you're reading it. In game it is the culmination of 20+ hours of your character being told they suck, having someone die, and the final boss just disrespecting you. You don't even kill the final boss so theres no catharsis and the ending of the game is "nothing you did mattered, go play a good Lunar game"
Yeah, exactly. This really sums it up 100% - I do not play video games to feel like a sucker who got clowned on by everyone who actually mattered. That's what real life is for. A lovely game is a game that makes you resent it for fooling you into playing it. Lunar Dragon Song is exactly that game.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Are you playing the NES originals or the SNES remake of Ninja Gaiden?

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Cardiovorax posted:

Yeah, exactly. This really sums it up 100% - I do not play video games to feel like a sucker who got clowned on by everyone who actually mattered. That's what real life is for. A lovely game is a game that makes you resent it for fooling you into playing it. Lunar Dragon Song is exactly that game.

It is a game asking you to hold out your arm and when you do so it uses it to punch you in the face and says "stop hitting yourself!"

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~

Barudak posted:

Are you playing the NES originals or the SNES remake of Ninja Gaiden?

The XBox 360 one :)

wuggles
Jul 12, 2017

I already liked this album and I think I’d seen the video before but that’s a really good video.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

Also from what I remember, the ending of Dragon Song feels more like the end of the first act of a larger game but then the credits roll.

Help Im Alive
Nov 8, 2009

I don't really use discord much but it's weird to me that every streamer seems to have their own server

are people just in like a million different discords

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

Pretty much yes, actually. It's like being a member in a forum. Costs you nothing, but when hilarious poo poo happens, you're there to see it.

Well, not like being a member in this forum, I guess. But in those anyone else cares about.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Rarity posted:

The XBox 360 one :)

Oh laffo, too many Ninja Gaidens. Its fun and I think better than its Sigma revision even if its massively unfairly harder in places

Ninja Gaiden 1 (xbox) has Ninja Gaiden 1-3 (SNES) as unlockables, while Ninja Gaiden: Black came with Ninja Gaiden (arcade). Ninja Gaiden: Sigma has nothing because its garbage.

Goa Tse-tung
Feb 11, 2008

;3

Yams Fan
also: you usually have to subscribe to get access, and we all know that paid forums are actually p good in the long run

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

FirstAidKite posted:

Is it like "yay I got my wish and now I'm happy" or is it like "I got my wish but I don't like the consequences of the wish so I have to undo it now and realize I already had it pretty good before the wish"?
it's sort of the latter in the first episode although hanako helps to fix it...ish. basically the protag wishes to get a boyfriend and hanako just gives her a romance advice book. after a while she gets tired of hanako's practical advice and steals one of his magic items because she hears half an explanation and just can't wait 5 seconds to hear the rest of it. the item turns her into a fish and she has to then serve a mermaid for the rest of her life, but hanako stops the mermaid because he hasn't granted protag's original wish yet. he then is able to change her back into a human, in exchange for becoming his assistant

most of the episode is hijinx from trying and loving up the tips from the book

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

Basically, it's the premise for an entire manga series without actually solving any problem that would make the series happen to begin with. But just from looking at like the first volume on some random manga site? Nothing to complain about, unless you hate manga on principle. Really pleasant. Just the plot of a monkey paw story without the monkey paw spitefulness.

Cardiovorax fucked around with this message at 14:54 on Mar 23, 2021

mango sentinel
Jan 5, 2001

by sebmojo
Toilet Ghost is a really great and cute anime you should watch.

goblin week
Jan 26, 2019

Absolute clown.
Does anyone piss in the ghost-occupid toilet

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Sorry, I only watched shows advertised on the Yamanote line so Im locked in to watch Upper 1%s Scream-Cry in Scenic Tokyo Locale.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

goblin week posted:

Probably yes, but thankfully off-screen.

Also, creepy, man.

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009
At least it isn't the japanese toilet paper ghost that is like "what toilet paper do you want, red paper or blue paper" and then it just kills you instead of giving you toilet paper

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

Well obviously you should wipe with napkins, as any TRUE NIHONJIN would know.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Don't listen to Cardiovorax's lies.

Its a bidet

Looper
Mar 1, 2012

goblin week posted:

i think you're looking for a different manga

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

also i'm halfway through talentless nana and it became a lot more Columbo than i was expecting

nana has an antagonist who is constantly going "oh just one more thing, *crucial detail breaking apart nana's alibi*" to her

SeXReX
Jan 9, 2009

I drink, mostly.
And get mad at people on the internet

:emptyquote:

Help Im Alive posted:

I don't really use discord much but it's weird to me that every streamer seems to have their own server

are people just in like a million different discords

100, because thats the limit

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

Barudak posted:

Don't listen to Cardiovorax's lies.

Its a bidet
:mad: I never lie. I speak truths of dubious provenance, but I don't lie.