Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

PageMaster
Nov 4, 2009

H110Hawk posted:

I would put it all in the umbrella. If you wind up hitting the umbrella nothing is going to matter, your underlying policy is getting non-renewed anyways.

So even if I take 100k liability and someone sues me for, say, 75k, underlying policy is likely gone no matter what? I've never even had to think about these things before in my life but apparently buying a home changes a lot of things. Thank goodness we lost our offer on the place with a pool

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006

PageMaster posted:

So even if I take 100k liability and someone sues me for, say, 75k, underlying policy is likely gone no matter what? I've never even had to think about these things before in my life but apparently buying a home changes a lot of things. Thank goodness we lost our offer on the place with a pool

Insurance pros will hand waive it away as unknowable, but large liability payouts are likely to get you non-renewed no matter what, or "effectively" non-renewed by jacking your premium into some comically high tier. Which they will again handwaive away Comcast style by saying "it's not your premium that went up, it's that you lost these discounts!"

Just live your life and pray you don't cause a liability claim. If you do, it's why you paid for insurance and it will be their problem. Deal with it then. Liability insurance is cheap because most people never have a claim. It's like a high stakes version of that extended warranty on your TV. Do things to minimize your own risk of injury and it will minimize it for others, too. Like, non-slip flooring in your shower/bathroom, and don't have your gutters drain onto your sidewalk if it freezes near you.

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi

B-Nasty posted:

Hollow core doors are actually an engineering marvel: it's amazing they can trim down the materials to that sparse of a level and those things don't just fall apart. I've actually received cardboard boxes that are stronger.

Basically, two thin sheets of wood with Styrofoam and a couple blocks separating them. Here's a typical cross-section:

God drat it, the lovely doors in new construction enrage me. I now know exactly why.

hmmxkrazee
Sep 9, 2006
why
Ugh, was planning on refinancing last week and now's gonna cost $1,300 more since rates have gone up (3% w/ 1100 credit to now 3% w/ 200 in points). Did not realize there were such drastic changes over a weekend. Should've locked in on Friday goddamnit.

Also, when comparing two different rates / amortization schedules, is the best way to compare break-even points using a combination of the difference in interest payments and principal balance? Difference in monthly payments?

Dik Hz
Feb 22, 2004

Fun with Science

Motronic posted:

This person acts like they have more knowledge than they do, so I assume they're just regurgitating what they read here and elsewhere. It gets painfully obvious at times like this.

El Mero Mero posted:

Not really sure why you're being purposely myopic, high-horsed and aggro on this or why you keep straw manning what I said. You do this in every thread. Stop it
Posts about posts and posting styles have a tendency to devolve into slap fights, so please stick to thread content.

pmchem
Jan 22, 2010

hmmxkrazee posted:

Ugh, was planning on refinancing last week and now's gonna cost $1,300 more since rates have gone up (3% w/ 1100 credit to now 3% w/ 200 in points). Did not realize there were such drastic changes over a weekend. Should've locked in on Friday goddamnit.

Also, when comparing two different rates / amortization schedules, is the best way to compare break-even points using a combination of the difference in interest payments and principal balance? Difference in monthly payments?

there are a lot of mortgage calculators online, Zillow's is pretty good: https://www.zillow.com/mortgage-calculator/
edit: direct link to their refi calculator https://www.zillow.com/mortgage-calculator/refinance-calculator/

if you're trying to figure out whether to lock rates, this site has good daily coverage of the mortgage (rate) market:
http://www.mortgagenewsdaily.com/channels/
http://www.mortgagenewsdaily.com/mortgage_rates/

pmchem fucked around with this message at 13:19 on Mar 23, 2021

Yooper
Apr 30, 2012

Residency Evil posted:

God drat it, the lovely doors in new construction enrage me. I now know exactly why.

There's a dude who makes custom doors near me and they are beautiful. I don't know the cost but I want one.

Dik Hz
Feb 22, 2004

Fun with Science

Yooper posted:

There's a dude who makes custom doors near me and they are beautiful. I don't know the cost but I want one.

i want to close that door really hard on a pushy salesmen and pretend it's the bottom of a boot kicking them in the rear end.

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi

Yooper posted:

I don't need Lord of the Rings doors, I just want a solid, rectangular door that feels like it has some weight to it when you open/close it.

Queen Victorian
Feb 21, 2018

Residency Evil posted:

I don't need Lord of the Rings doors, I just want a solid, rectangular door that feels like it has some weight to it when you open/close it.

Find a local millwork shop that specializes in doors and windows and get yourself some real doors (and support local/regional businesses!).

My house is missing four interior doors (including a nonstandard one) and I will going to these guys for new doors. And windows. Like the fancy arched dormer windows with curved mullions and original to the house that are rotting and need replacing (with exact replicas, of course).

Tezer
Jul 9, 2001

Residency Evil posted:

Queen Victorian posted:

Find a local millwork shop that specializes in doors and windows and get yourself some real doors (and support local/regional businesses!).

My house is missing four interior doors (including a nonstandard one) and I will going to these guys for new doors. And windows. Like the fancy arched dormer windows with curved mullions and original to the house that are rotting and need replacing (with exact replicas, of course).

What's nice about using a local millwork shop is that a lot of them will also have access to 'stock' doors that are pretty good. So they will be able to tell you if there is a factory door that gets close to your requirements and, if there isn't one, they can build it in-house.

A lumberyard is a good place to start, they might have a good millwork shop themselves or one that they're partnered with.

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi

Queen Victorian posted:

Tezer posted:

What's nice about using a local millwork shop is that a lot of them will also have access to 'stock' doors that are pretty good. So they will be able to tell you if there is a factory door that gets close to your requirements and, if there isn't one, they can build it in-house.

A lumberyard is a good place to start, they might have a good millwork shop themselves or one that they're partnered with.

That's super helpful, thanks guys. Our current house is from the 20s and is built well, but it's good to know you can still get non-trash doors.

Apparently I feel very strongly about doors.

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog

Residency Evil posted:

That's super helpful, thanks guys. Our current house is from the 20s and is built well, but it's good to know you can still get non-trash doors.

Apparently I feel very strongly about doors.

My partner listens to a sleep-aid app that uses a mix of white noise or really, intentionally boring podcasts. Last week we fell asleep to a droning, soft-voiced lesson on the history and technology of Doors. She was out like a light; I was absolutely hooked, and looked up more information when it ended.

Doors... are cool

StormDrain
May 22, 2003

Thirteen Letter
Still awake before dawn
He turned his iPad on
Opened an article from the ancient Wikipedia
As he scrolled on down the page
He went to the frame where his door lived
And then he...
Paid a visit to the guest bedroom door and then he...
Walked on down the hall
And he came to the door,
And he looked at the jamb
"door handle?" "yes Chris?" "I want to lock you"
"wife? I want to....."

KS
Jun 10, 2003
Outrageous Lumpwad
All my interior doors are solid and I like it a lot. Older houses are the best.

Door chat:

This is nearly 40 years old. There are two more outside in a courtyard that need restoration -- dry rot around the edges and the varnish is flaking away to nothing, but the center panels are in good shape. I really like them and want to preserve them. Any thoughts on who might be good to take on something like that without destroying them? I'm prepared to spend $$$$ on it unless new doors are $$$.

Keyser_Soze
May 5, 2009

Pillbug

Yooper posted:

I bet it's $5,000.

couldcareless
Feb 8, 2009

Spheal used Swagger!
We just bought a really nice door for our backyard, it is a torrefied door from Masonite and it's pretty solid and amazing. Just need my FIL to completed the finishing on it. Set us back a few grand for sure, but was well worth it.

Queen Victorian
Feb 21, 2018

KS posted:

All my interior doors are solid and I like it a lot. Older houses are the best.

Door chat:

This is nearly 40 years old. There are two more outside in a courtyard that need restoration -- dry rot around the edges and the varnish is flaking away to nothing, but the center panels are in good shape. I really like them and want to preserve them. Any thoughts on who might be good to take on something like that without destroying them? I'm prepared to spend $$$$ on it unless new doors are $$$.

Find a (preferably local) millwork shop that does historic restoration/reproduction and get a consultation. Those center panels look like skilled woodcarving was involved (they are gorgeous), so it might be cheaper/easier to extract the center panels from the bad doors via carpentry maneuvers and/or paint stripper (to dissolve the glue) and build new doors around them than to have a woodcarver replicate the panels for entirely new doors. It could very well be that the doors are less far gone than they look and can be restored, or they are indeed trashed and you’ll need to rebuild them. You’ll find out with a consultation.

Thesaurus
Oct 3, 2004

beginning to feel inadequate about my doors...

tater_salad
Sep 15, 2007

Right.. here I am thinking how nice it is that I have the 1950s solid plain doors in my house

DNK
Sep 18, 2004

GoGoGadgetChris posted:

My partner listens to a sleep-aid app that uses a mix of white noise or really, intentionally boring podcasts. Last week we fell asleep to a droning, soft-voiced lesson on the history and technology of Doors. She was out like a light; I was absolutely hooked, and looked up more information when it ended.

Doors... are cool

What’s the app????

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi
Me at Home Depot: "Is the switch light almond or white...I'm pretty sure it's not white."

Me at home, comparing the new switch to the old switch: "I'm pretty sure these are the same?"

Me at home, finally installing everything, seeing the light hit everything together: "God drat it."

just a kazoo
Mar 7, 2018
I'm looking to get a ductless heat pump installed this spring. My plan is to call in to some of the local companies and get a few estimates, but I wanted to know if there are any brands to look for / avoid and if there are any common pitfalls I may run into.

BigPaddy
Jun 30, 2008

That night we performed the rite and opened the gate.
Halfway through, I went to fix us both a coke float.
By the time I got back, he'd gone insane.
Plus, he'd left the gate open and there was evil everywhere.

I have a Fujitsu system currently and it does a decent job of heating and cooling. It had a valve leak and needed it replaced and a coolant recharge a couple of years ago at around 10 years old. One thing to keep in mind is you can get a single outside unit with multiple heads and have smaller mini splits in multiple rooms. I would recommend this if it is an older house without an open plan or you have multiple floors.

Beef Of Ages
Jan 11, 2003

Your dumb is leaking.

Residency Evil posted:

Me at Home Depot: "Is the switch light almond or white...I'm pretty sure it's not white."

Me at home, comparing the new switch to the old switch: "I'm pretty sure these are the same?"

Me at home, finally installing everything, seeing the light hit everything together: "God drat it."

I have lived this. I will soon live this again.

It's good that face plates and whatnot are cheap.

Tezer
Jul 9, 2001

Keyser_Soze posted:

I bet it's $5,000.

A 'stock' wood door with a curved top ran $2,100 cost the last time I ordered one in early 2020 (TruStile made it). That's before install, overhead, finishing, hardware, and matching trim. So $5,000 installed isn't far off.

just a kazoo posted:

I'm looking to get a ductless heat pump installed this spring. My plan is to call in to some of the local companies and get a few estimates, but I wanted to know if there are any brands to look for / avoid and if there are any common pitfalls I may run into.

It's not a perfect way to judge, but installers will have a 'rating' from the manufacturer - I think it's based on completing training and sales volume, but I'm not 100% sure. Fujitsu i think calls it 'elite' and Mitsubishi calls it 'diamond' I think. So that's a good first pass to find a contractor if you have a particular brand in mind.

The part of the specification that gets glossed over the most often is cold weather performance. If you're just using it for cooling, don't worry about it. But, if you want supplemental winter heat, you'll want to understand how it performs down to whatever temperature you are worried about. I think the major manufacturers all make a cold weather model at this point, for example Mitsubishi calls it Hyper Heat. The efficiency of the unit is a little lower, but it performs better at lower temperatures.

ChineseBuffet
Mar 7, 2003

Residency Evil posted:

Why would you not get one of each and put the extra in the Pile of Stuff to Forget to Return to Home Depot?

Tezer
Jul 9, 2001

ChineseBuffet posted:

Why would you not get one of each and put the extra in the Pile of Stuff to Forget to Return to Home Depot?

I gave up on that system long ago and just have a Donate to Habitat ReStore pile now.

Yooper
Apr 30, 2012

Residency Evil posted:

I did absolutely this two days ago. It doesn't help that there's 90 different light bulbs right behind me in that aisle all throwing different temperatures of light.

SpartanIvy
May 18, 2007
Hair Elf
Nothing feels better than taking a handful of old 70's phone wiring in the attic and just ripping that poo poo out.

StormDrain
May 22, 2003

Thirteen Letter
I have a light fixture that is a pain in the rear end to replace bulbs in. It has a large glass piece inside of a brass holder that is screwed on opposite sides with two little Phillips head screws, and it's about 12" across.

So of course the LED bulbs were part of a defective set I bought, a pack of six and all died within about 18 months.

Also its in my toilet and shower room and I shower before it's light out so I had to replace it.

The first set of bulbs I got was also defective and didn't work out of the box. GE reveals.

I got the second set yesterday, and they worked perfectly fine. One no longer works because I dropped it trying to screw it in and it shattered.

El Mero Mero
Oct 13, 2001

Residency Evil posted:

This was me but with paint matching. I discovered that the white used on my walls is not the white used on my ceilings this past weekend 🤦‍♂️

Maggie Fletcher
Jul 19, 2009
Getting brunch is more important to me than other peoples lives.
Dumb question--our new house doesn't have ceiling lights in the bedrooms--which, don't get me started on how stupid that is--and we were planning on installing smart lights from Philips Hue along with Nest thermostats. I assume they have to be wired into the existing wiring system? What kind of holes in the walls are we talking here? Obviously I would hire an electrician to handle it, but I'm curious if anyone has any experience installing smarthome systems? Are they worth it? What do you love/hate about it?

skipdogg
Nov 29, 2004
Resident SRT-4 Expert

I don’t know about the rest, but I personally really dislike Nest thermostats. I much prefer EcoBees.

I have a bunch of Amazon Echo devices, Samsung SmartThings, and various WiFi and zwave devices and I love it all. I get irritated when something isn’t Alexa enabled. Even my garage door opener is WiFi enabled/Smart.

Sundae
Dec 1, 2005

skipdogg posted:

I don’t know about the rest, but I personally really dislike Nest thermostats. I much prefer EcoBees.

I have a bunch of Amazon Echo devices, Samsung SmartThings, and various WiFi and zwave devices and I love it all. I get irritated when something isn’t Alexa enabled. Even my garage door opener is WiFi enabled/Smart.

:lol: Meanwhile, I take a sledgehammer to any device in my condo that makes a beep I don't recognize. :v: I'm pretty sure I have the last dumbphone and dumb-TV in the bay area.

Unrelated to the sledgehammer (I swear): I've discovered how much I hate kitchen appliance built-ins now that I'm trying to extract the microwave from all the cabinets built around it. The turntable is dying and making atrocious sounds whenever I turn it on, and now I have to get a replacement microwave that fits into a particular set of dimensions. *grumbles*

StormDrain
May 22, 2003

Thirteen Letter

Maggie Fletcher posted:

Dumb question--our new house doesn't have ceiling lights in the bedrooms--which, don't get me started on how stupid that is--and we were planning on installing smart lights from Philips Hue along with Nest thermostats. I assume they have to be wired into the existing wiring system? What kind of holes in the walls are we talking here? Obviously I would hire an electrician to handle it, but I'm curious if anyone has any experience installing smarthome systems? Are they worth it? What do you love/hate about it?

Since all the smart home poo poo is made to replace regular stuff, installing it is the same as installing regular electrics.

The thermostats are also made to replace regular thermostats. They may require a low voltage power source that your current t stat either has or doesn't have.

This is a tangent, and my personal opinion. Center ceiling lights blow. The lighting is unflattering and harsh. The single point of light casts shadows facing away and it's inconvenient for anything where you're facing a wall, like a desk or vanity or closet. Hotels have good lighting to me. Night stand lights, lamps in the corner, desk lamp. If I was paying an electrician for lights I would consider wall sconces for ambiance, multiple can lights for general lighting (less shadow, more even lighting) , and table lamps for task lights.

DELETE CASCADE
Oct 25, 2017

i haven't washed my penis since i jerked it to a phtotograph of george w. bush in 2003
who cares if the current switch is almond or white, it should be white, take that almond poo poo and throw it away. it comes from a time when everyone smoked inside their houses, so anything white turned that gross color eventually anyway. the only smoking you should be doing in your house now is a dab

Tezer
Jul 9, 2001

Sundae posted:

Unrelated to the sledgehammer (I swear): I've discovered how much I hate kitchen appliance built-ins now that I'm trying to extract the microwave from all the cabinets built around it. The turntable is dying and making atrocious sounds whenever I turn it on, and now I have to get a replacement microwave that fits into a particular set of dimensions. *grumbles*

Built-in microwaves are on the easier side to match, because many models are the same unit with different faceplates. Like, there are two different sharp microwave drawers but it's the same box behind the faceplate, same with GE cafe, etc.

So you probably can find one that fits from a functional standpoint, and then it just comes down to the faceplate and how that lines up.

Now, old viking built-in ovens with side controls? Impossible to replace without nitpicky cabinet alterations.

If you PM me the microwave model I can see if it matches any of the microwaves in my spec binder at work.

Maggie Fletcher
Jul 19, 2009
Getting brunch is more important to me than other peoples lives.

StormDrain posted:

Since all the smart home poo poo is made to replace regular stuff, installing it is the same as installing regular electrics.

The thermostats are also made to replace regular thermostats. They may require a low voltage power source that your current t stat either has or doesn't have.

This is a tangent, and my personal opinion. Center ceiling lights blow. The lighting is unflattering and harsh. The single point of light casts shadows facing away and it's inconvenient for anything where you're facing a wall, like a desk or vanity or closet. Hotels have good lighting to me. Night stand lights, lamps in the corner, desk lamp. If I was paying an electrician for lights I would consider wall sconces for ambiance, multiple can lights for general lighting (less shadow, more even lighting) , and table lamps for task lights.

This is a good point. We're living in a cave lit by two nightstand lamps, and I want the new house to have additional lighting. I think bedside table lamps + sconces might be overkill for that wall, but you're right, if we're paying for an electrician, might as well get what we want. The can lighting is a good idea, though, and we were thinking of a couple of recessed lights along one or two walls.

Thanks for the info!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

StormDrain
May 22, 2003

Thirteen Letter

Maggie Fletcher posted:

This is a good point. We're living in a cave lit by two nightstand lamps, and I want the new house to have additional lighting. I think bedside table lamps + sconces might be overkill for that wall, but you're right, if we're paying for an electrician, might as well get what we want. The can lighting is a good idea, though, and we were thinking of a couple of recessed lights along one or two walls.

Thanks for the info!

Awesome! I'm working on a high end home right now and there's about 6 can lights per bedroom just as general light, plus some that are aimable. My kitchen at home has five and the first time I turned it on after installing them was "Holy poo poo this is bordering on too bright and I love it".

I would like to reinvent the lighting in my bedroom but I already painted it and mounted a chandelier in it, so it'll stay as is.