Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

keep punching joe
Jan 22, 2006

Die Satan!
Was Cliff Richard called the Peter Pan of pop in a veiled accusation that he kidnapped children and spirited them away to a caribbean island?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh
Also yes on the discount supermarket cheese btw, I have a freezer full of:

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018
drat that's some cheap cheese (yes I'm talking about the music video)

SixFigureSandwich
Oct 30, 2004
Exciting Lemon

learnincurve posted:

Also yes on the discount supermarket cheese btw, I have a freezer full of:

I love a block of proper null

Maugrim
Feb 16, 2011

I eat your face
Wtf you can freeze cheese?

Borrovan
Aug 15, 2013

IT IS ME.
🧑‍💼
I AM THERESA MAY

I got sent a hamper of really good cheese for Christmas, but then my girlfriend got pregnant & can't eat it so it's just sitting there taking up an entire freezer drawer, taunting me :(

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

Maugrim posted:

Milk too. But the freezer is like Pet Sematary - they come back wrong

Failed Imagineer fucked around with this message at 10:47 on Mar 23, 2021

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh
With frozen cheese you use the grating disk on a food processor and use it in toasties/on chips and so on.

Jakabite
Jul 31, 2010
Had the Oxford jab yesterday, felt fine until I went to go to bed at about 1am when suddenly got really chilly and shivery. Cue a night of feverishly tossing and turning, cold sweats, hot sweats, racing mind, and general unwellness. Really knocked both me and my partner for six. Glad to have had the opportunity to have it but Jesus that was not a restful nights sleep! Strongly recommend stocking up on your favourite painkillers and sleep aids.

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

:discourse:
It's what's for dinner.

Borrovan posted:

I got sent a hamper of really good cheese for Christmas, but then my girlfriend got pregnant & can't eat it so it's just sitting there taking up an entire freezer drawer, taunting me :(

y... you could eat it

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

Will really good cheese still be really good after 9+ months in the freezer? My gut says no.

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Sorry I thought you were a landlord when I gave you your old avatar!

Maugrim posted:

Yes! Thank goodness, because once when I was extremely drunk and travelling home from work late night, the International Cheese Shop on the station was open and I bought 5kg of gjetost (Norwegian caramelized cheese) for £32... (These days it's £4 for 250g - Waitrose - so it's a rare treat!). Next morning I'm like "oh dear". I cut it into chunks and froze them. It was fine.

Chuffin' heck it's £10.50 per 250g here:

https://www.paxtonandwhitfield.co.uk/shop/buy-cheese-online/by-type/hard-cheese/gjetost

Jaeluni Asjil fucked around with this message at 11:52 on Mar 23, 2021

Necrothatcher
Mar 26, 2005

stev posted:

Will really good cheese still be really good after 9+ months in the freezer? My gut says no.

What kind of cheese.

Parmesan and the like should be fine.

Jippa
Feb 13, 2009

stev posted:

If it's a proper freezer then yes.

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

frozen wedges of brie, served in a cornet

OzyMandrill
Aug 12, 2013

Look upon my words
and despair

I got the Pfizer one last week, sore arm, but today I'm all a bit queasy.. I only got it cos my wife is friends with one of the nurses at the vaccine clinic, and with the Pfizer one they have to defrost 500 doses at a time, and send out 500 letters. Thanks to last weeks vaccine scare stories, they had 150 cancelations even tho they weren't using the AZ one. They were desperate to use them all up, but they could only give them to people who were in the cohort below the current one, i.e. in the age range to next start getting appointments, but not in the group that are being assigned now else it would just cause another missed appointment.

Moral of the story - make friends with nurses. Buy them gin and hand cream as presents.

Borrovan
Aug 15, 2013

IT IS ME.
🧑‍💼
I AM THERESA MAY

JeremoudCorbynejad posted:

y... you could eat it

stev posted:

Thank you for your concerns, which will not be passed along to my partner out of reluctance to start a broader conversation about alcohol, cigarettes & rare meat

Jippa posted:

(serious response, yeah, my dad worked in dairies all his life so we perpetually had a freezer full of fancy cheeses & never had any problems)

Olpainless
Jun 30, 2003
... Insert something brilliantly witty here.
Our piles of rotting seafood and cheese will be the envy of the world

(But yes, cheese freezes well, and even if it's something that'd suffer a bit in texture, just use it for cooking)

Skarsnik
Oct 21, 2008

I...AM...RUUUDE!

Post first lockdown brakes and other commercial food suppliers were delivering grated cheese frozen for ages, I assume it had been frozen most of the summer

Small Strange Bird
Sep 22, 2006

Merci, chaton!

Necrothatcher posted:

what the gently caress I might be IN this video.

the kid at 00:45 looks exactly like me in 1988, I'm pretty sure I had that top and if that's Bournemouth beach I went there as a kid...

I've gotta run this past my Mum. :(
Yep, that's definitely Bournemouth beach. Unwitting Gammons-related fame beckons!

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

It's what's for dinner.

stev posted:

If your gut says no it sounds like you already know the answer

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

It's what's for dinner.

Borrovan posted:

Thank you for your concerns, which will not be passed along to my partner out of reluctance to start a broader conversation about alcohol, cigarettes & rare meat

B-but YOU could eat it is what I'm saying

secretly

Necrothatcher
Mar 26, 2005

Payndz posted:

Yep, that's definitely Bournemouth beach. Unwitting Gammons-related fame beckons!

my Mum says she's not sure and doesn't remember anyone filming me as a boy on the beach, she says it does look like me though.

oh god I hope this isn't going to unlock some kind of suppressed memory

The Perfect Element
Dec 5, 2005
"This is a bit of a... a poof song"

Necrothatcher posted:

my Mum says she's not sure and doesn't remember anyone filming me as a boy on the beach, she says it does look like me though.

If it's any comfort, I am LOVING this side-plot.

MikeCrotch
Nov 5, 2011

I AM UNJUSTIFIABLY PROUD OF MY SPAGHETTI BOLOGNESE RECIPE

YES, IT IS AN INCREDIBLY SIMPLE DISH

NO, IT IS NOT NORMAL TO USE A PEPPERAMI INSTEAD OF MINCED MEAT

YES, THERE IS TOO MUCH SALT IN MY RECIPE

NO, I WON'T STOP SHARING IT

more like BOLLOCKnese

Necrothatcher posted:

Quick let's find out your Manchurian Candidate code phrase

Apple Letterbox Spam Jimmy Saville Art Attack Gammon Brighton Medlar Caviar Able Aden

Anything?

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

Skills Wallets

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

Borrovan posted:

Wait what the gently caress, is cheese in the same category as alcohol and cigarettes for pregnancy now? It was bad enough when they tried doing that with seafood.

I swear one of these impossible demands is what's going to push me into some kind of ranting nigel farage groyper if I don't watch out.

MikeCrotch posted:

Apple Letterbox Spam Jimmy Saville Art Attack Gammon Brighton Medlar Caviar Able Aden
In my day when you got morning sickness you'd switch from Rothmans to Silk Cut! :tinsley:

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Guavanaut posted:

Wait what the gently caress, is cheese in the same category as alcohol and cigarettes for pregnancy now? It was bad enough when they tried doing that with seafood.

I swear one of these impossible demands is what's going to push me into some kind of ranting nigel farage groyper if I don't watch out.

In my day when you got morning sickness you'd switch from Rothmans to Silk Cut! :tinsley:

Isn't the cheese thing related to the scare about soft cheese a few years back?

quote:

What to avoid
mould-ripened soft cheeses with a white coating on the outside, such as brie, camembert and chèvre (unless cooked until steaming hot)
soft blue cheeses such as danish blue, gorgonzola and roquefort (unless cooked until steaming hot)
any unpasteurised cows' milk, goats' milk or sheep's milk
any foods made from unpasteurised milk, such as soft goats' cheese

Why
Unpasteurised dairy products may contain listeria. This bacteria can causes an infection called listeriosis.

There's a small chance listeriosis can lead to miscarriage, stillbirth, or make your newborn baby very unwell.

Soft cheeses with a white coating on the outside have more moisture. This can make it easier for bacteria to grow.

source: https://www.nhs.uk/pregnancy/keeping-well/foods-to-avoid/

Borrovan posted:

BTW, Congrats!

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

One rule for us, another for them:

https://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/home-news/covid-travel-ban-second-home-rules-b1821021.html

quote:

‘Stanley Johnson loophole’ allows overseas travel to look after second home
Legislation proposes £5,000 fine for holidaymakers, but will allow trips for ‘purchase, sale, letting or rental of residential property’

etc

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

MikeCrotch posted:

We Didn't Start The Fire

(We Just Did A Sick Kickflip Next To It)

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

Necrothatcher posted:

I was going to download GIMP to start discreetly inserting you into pictures of notable UK political events and just casually drop them into posts over the next few months but :effort: (and a bit creepy), so I'll settle for just telling you about the idea instead.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

Jaeluni Asjil posted:

Isn't the cheese thing related to the scare about soft cheese a few years back?

source: https://www.nhs.uk/pregnancy/keeping-well/foods-to-avoid/
Makes sense, I know that raw milk was on the list for a long time, but raw milk has been on the "foods to avoid in general" for a while too, whereas cheese was on the "eh probably fine" list and alcohol was on the "massive debate between the 'reduces stress in moderation so on balance good' and 'no you're a bad person for even thinking about a wine'" list.

TACD
Oct 27, 2000

Jippa posted:

What is a "proper freezer" I ask, anticipating a ten-page derail

CoolCab
Apr 17, 2005

glem

TACD posted:

your fridge freezer is really just a freezer with a secondary chamber - this means that they run the risk of not get anywhere near as cold, nor to stay there, than conventional freezers. also, and this is dumb, there is a significant efficiency implications for horizontally oriented freezers for the plain simple reason that cold air falls out when you open it up, which means stuff in fridge freezers are much more susceptible to thaw-freeze cycles which ruins food.

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

I'm not a fascist. I'm a priest. Fascists dress up in black and tell people what to do.

TACD posted:

I figure it means a chest freezer. They are common here, they used to be stored outside, then modern freezers couldn't cope with the winter temperatures (down to -30 sometimes) so people prized and hoarded old freezers they could keep outside, but nowadays some modern chest freezers say they can be outside. Ours says it'll work outside down to -15C.

His Divine Shadow fucked around with this message at 14:14 on Mar 23, 2021

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

TACD posted:

TRIXNET
Jun 6, 2004

META AS FUCK.

It's me I'm the DX7 synth with literally nothing plugged in (and the power cable was moulded in to those things so it might even just be the case).

Lord of the Llamas
Jul 9, 2002

EULER'VE TO SEE IT VENN SOMEONE CALLS IT THE WRONG THING AND PROVOKES MY WRATH
Pregnant? Love cheese? Have fondue!

TACD
Oct 27, 2000

Ah yea fair enough. I’d like a chest freezer someday, in my future aspirational house with space for appliances that don’t all sit on the countertop or each other :sigh:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

His Divine Shadow posted:

I figure it means a chest freezer. They are common here, they used to be stored outside, then modern freezers couldn't cope with the winter temperatures (down to -30 sometimes) so people prized and hoarded old freezers they could keep outside, but nowadays some modern chest freezers say they can be outside. Ours says it'll work outside down to -15C.

I assume we can blame the CFC ban for that, good old Freon was perfectly happy at much lower temperatures than modern boring refrigerants that don't obliterate the atmosphere.

(I mean I assume that's the difference just from listening to the HVAC guys whinging about how much bigger the piping and plant has to be for modern air conditioners because you can't chill the working fluid down as much as you could Freon - there could be another, more subtle difference between old and new freezers but ultimately they're all just a pump, a condenser, and some tubing)