Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Saladman
Jan 12, 2010

kustomkarkommando posted:

https://twitter.com/BBCAfrica/status/1372289859931545604

maybe not covid then? (not that theyd announce that of course)

COVID certainly has a high crossover with cardiovascular issues. Who knows if the general public will ever find out, just like no one found out what Pierre Nkurunziza died of, although that one is almost certainly COVID since his wife also came down with it and was hospitalized a couple weeks before he died. His death was also officially reported as a heart attack.

So does that mean Samia Suluhu is going to become president for like, a full five years? I hope she's less dictatorial and not an anti-science religious nutbag. Or do they do another election in a few months? I didn't find any quick article summary of Tanzanian succession protocols.

Saladman fucked around with this message at 22:24 on Mar 17, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kustomkarkommando
Oct 22, 2012

quote:

So does that mean Samia Suluhu is going to become president for like, a full five years? I hope she's less dictatorial and not an anti-science religious nutbag. Or do they do another election in a few months? I didn't find any quick article summary of Tanzanian succession protocols.

Yeah looks like constitutionally she remains as President until the remainder of his five year term expires.

Not sure if it will work out like that as I'm sure some people in the CCM would prefer someone who isn't a Zanzibari Muslim

kustomkarkommando fucked around with this message at 22:42 on Mar 17, 2021

PawParole
Nov 16, 2019

https://addisstandard.com/news-unkn...impression=true

https://www.aljazeera.com/news/2021/3/23/ethiopia-pm-abiy-ahmed-says-atrocities-committed-in-tigray

Theres been tit for tat ethnic clashes/cleansing in the Amhara and Oromia regions of Ethiopia. Abiy has finally admitted that Eriiitrean troops are in Tigray, and theres also clashes with Sudan

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD
Jul 7, 2012

It sounds like U.S. diplomacy there is maybe having an effect? He's also now saying that Ethiopia doesn't want war with Sudan.

PawParole
Nov 16, 2019

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD posted:

It sounds like U.S. diplomacy there is maybe having an effect?

lol how?

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD posted:

He's also now saying that Ethiopia doesn't want war with Sudan.

not up to him. he doesnt control the border militias, or even the army at this point

PawParole
Nov 16, 2019

Members of local communities say they plan to relocate after spate of attacks by armed militia targeting civilians of ethnic Amhara origin.

Tibebu Girma cannot risk it any longer. A farmer in the Qellem Wollega zone of Ethiopia’s Oromia region, the 30-year-old makes a living by cultivating maize and selling it in the markets of nearby villages. But a recent spate of deadly attacks targeting civilians of ethnic Amhara origin has convinced him it is time to pack up and leave with his wife and their infant son for somewhere safer.

“They don’t even spare the women and children,” Tibebu told Al Jazeera over the phone. “We aren’t safe here.”

At least 12 people, including a seven-year-old child, were hacked to death in two particularly brutal attacks on February 25 in the villages of Boka and Nechlu, in the eastern part of Oromia, multiple sources told Al Jazeera. Among the slain civilians were two of Tibebu’s uncles, Teshome Beyene and Tadesse Muluneh, who were farmers in the area.

“They won’t even let us heal,” said Tibebu. “There have been more killings in the same area this week.”

According to Ethiopian state media, 42 people were killed in two separate attacks on March 6 and March 9 that targeted Amhara civilians in Oromia’s Horo Guduru Welega zone.
Located about 200 kilometres (124 miles) west of Ethiopia’s capital, Addis Ababa, the Horo Guduru Welega zone is in an area populated by people who come from Ethiopia’s Oromo and Amhara ethnic groups, who, combined, form about two-thirds of the country’s population of 110 million.

Sayd Hassen lost his wife, Mulu Mekonnen, as well as three children and a niece, the latter four aged between 10 and 15. They were shot dead with at least 20 others when their village of Dachin Gefersa was attacked on March 9.

“My family experienced the worst of barbarities in an age where even animal rights are respected,” said Sayd, 56. “What crime did my children commit? Being Amhara cost them their lives.”

Sayd said the murderers ransacked the family home and made off with clothing, money and cattle. He is currently taking shelter at a school compound with hundreds of others who were also displaced by the attack.

“Living as a beggar somewhere safe would be better than staying here,” Sayd said. “My family’s murderers are still out there.”

‘Nobody stops them’​

Victims blame the massacres on fighters belonging to the separatist Oromo Liberation Army (OLA).

The OLA is the breakaway armed wing of the Oromo Liberation Front (OLF), which was founded in the 1970s to fight for the self-determination of ethnic Oromos. In 2018, promises of political reform by then-newly appointed Prime Minister Abiy Ahmed saw the OLF decriminalised and permitted to join party politics. But negotiations with the armed wing eventually soured, and the OLA splintered from the political organisation and resumed fighting.

Ethiopian authorities blame them for kidnappings, assassinations of officials and other crimes across Oromia. The OLA deny that they are behind the killings of civilians and instead blame former rank and file who have defected from their group.

“They [OLA fighters] are easily identifiable by their hairstyles,” a resident of the Jardega Jarte district who requested anonymity fearing reprisal told Al Jazeera.

Images of the group’s fighters uploaded to social media typically show camouflage-clad youths with hair worn in dreadlocks. “They kill, steal, do as they please and nobody stops them,” the resident said.
Locals Al Jazeera spoke to accused the Horo Guduru Welega and neighbouring zonal administrations of being aware of the problem but typically taking no action, turning a blind eye to the suffering of ethnic Amhara villagers.

“We have pleaded with them many times to do something about the security situation, but they do nothing,” said Damtew Kassa, a farmer who resided in a village near the town of Shambu.

Damtew’s cousin, Kindeneh Gizachew 25, was among the dead in the February 25 attack in Nechlu. His badly mutilated body was found, arms bound.

“I believe the authorities sympathise with the attackers,” Damtew alleged. “Police don’t show up until after the attackers leave, or sometimes not at all,” he added. “The government knows about the problem. Nobody has ever been arrested for these crimes.”

Tewodros Tirfe, chairman of the United States-based Amhara Association of America advocacy organisation documenting rights abuses in the region, echoed the view that regional administrators are exacerbating the problem.

“There’s a clear indication that local officials are complicit in the attacks,” he told Al Jazeera. “The OLA has carried out many of the massacres, either right before security forces arrive or after they and local administration leave the area. It implies there’s a leak of information or collaboration of sorts.”

Al Jazeera reached out to the Horo Guduru Welega zonal administration head Bekele Dechassa by phone. He was asked about complaints in his constituency that his leadership was either complicit in recent killings or turned a blind eye to them.

“These are baseless allegations,” was how Bekele responded, but he was also unwilling to discuss specifics about his administration’s response to recent tragedies in his jurisdiction

https://www.aljazeera.com/news/2021/3/20/worsening-violence-western-ethiopia-forcing-civilians-to-flee

Fuschia tude
Dec 26, 2004

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2019

Seems like things are escalating in Ethiopia, people pulled off public buses and executed right in the road in front of MSF vehicles, then pulling out an MSF driver, beating him and threatening to kill him
https://mobile.twitter.com/MSF_EastAfrica/status/1374803824922218497

And a preliminary Ethiopian Human Rights Commission report confirms 100 massacred (out of 800 reported) in Axum and calls for a full investigation.

Grouchio
Aug 31, 2014

Abiy Ahmed. How does retaliating against a Tigrayan coup attempt shatter your country? Weren't you really competent?

Vivian Darkbloom
Jul 14, 2004

Are the Eritreans still running around in Tigray? Journalists still seem to be locked out of the hinterland but it sure sounds awful. TPLF putting up a decent fight too.

PawParole
Nov 16, 2019

Abiy Ahmed claims that after meeting with Eritrean leader Afwerki Eritrean soldiers will withdraw from the border areas.

https://twitter.com/AbiyAhmedAli/status/1375308233754173440

Vivian Darkbloom posted:

Are the Eritreans still running around in Tigray? Journalists still seem to be locked out of the hinterland but it sure sounds awful. TPLF putting up a decent fight too.

you have to realize that the Ethiopian Army is overextended on multiple fronts.

PawParole
Nov 16, 2019

https://mobile.twitter.com/MapEthiopia/status/1346913478557143040

https://mobile.twitter.com/MapEthiopia/status/1376103025735954438

Abiy is technically at war with himself at this point.

Edit: Ethiopian troops patrolling Tigray

https://mobile.twitter.com/MapEthiopia/status/1375880322433351681

V. Illych L.
Apr 11, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT LUMBER

they should probably stop giving oyy thea peace prize, shouldn't they

Vivian Darkbloom
Jul 14, 2004

Starting to think there's a potential issue with every ethnic region having their own official militia.

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD
Jul 7, 2012

Clearly the solution to that is to invade each state and bust 'em up!!

PawParole
Nov 16, 2019

Vivian Darkbloom posted:

Starting to think there's a potential issue with every ethnic region having their own official militia.

wow Abiy, maybe we should give you the peace prize for that insight!

Fuschia tude
Dec 26, 2004

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2019

Vivian Darkbloom posted:

I'm starting to think there's a potential issue with every region being drawn along ethnic lines.

PawParole
Nov 16, 2019

Fuschia tude posted:

I'm starting to think there's a potential issue with every region being drawn along ethnic lines.

that’s probably because The Empire forcefully conquered most of the people who lived there during the partition of Africa, and the whole “ethnic regions” thing is the only thing that ended the civil war, and is popular among people who aren’t genocidal FANO members

PawParole fucked around with this message at 12:56 on Mar 29, 2021

Toplowtech
Aug 31, 2004

PawParole posted:

that’s probably because The Empire forcefully conquered most of the people who lived there during the partition of Africa, and the whole “ethnic regions” thing is the only thing that ended the civil war, and is popular among people who aren’t genocidal FANO members
Speaking of which, the Fashoda accident with France, which kinda made the whole rightwing of France go into turbo rear end in a top hat "Colonization is now a matter of upmost national pride" mode (learn about Rwanda(Genocide) to see the long term results), was caused because the British Empire didn't want France to get that part of Africa.
VVV my bad, when i think "the Empire", Ethiopia isn''t the first one that comes to my mind.

Toplowtech fucked around with this message at 13:27 on Mar 29, 2021

PawParole
Nov 16, 2019

Toplowtech posted:

Speaking of which, the Fashoda accident with France, which kinda made the whole rightwing of France went into turbo rear end in a top hat "Colonization is now a matter of upmost national pride" mode (see Rwanda(Genocide) to see the result), was caused because the Empire didn't want France to get that part of Africa.

the empire is ethiopia. I'm speaking of the Imperial Period (Theodoros-Selasie)

Toplowtech
Aug 31, 2004

Speaking of which isn't most of population in the south/east of the country ethnically Somali ?

PawParole
Nov 16, 2019

Toplowtech posted:

Speaking of which isn't most of population in the south/east of the country ethnically Somali ?

East. The British gave that part to Ethiopia in 1954 along with Eritrea, it was never conquered.

Toplowtech
Aug 31, 2004

PawParole posted:

East. The British gave that part to Ethiopia in 1954 along with Eritrea, it was never conquered.
Isn't it like 1/4 the size of France? Also they gifted it to Ethiopia just before Somalian independence? Super-weird timing. What was the given reasons?

PawParole
Nov 16, 2019

Toplowtech posted:

Isn't it like 1/4 the size of France? Also they gifted it to Ethiopia just before Somalian independence? Super-weird timing. What was the given reasons?

Somali, not Somalian. Ethiopia was a founding nation of The UN, and had support in the west due to being "the first victim of fascism"

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD
Jul 7, 2012

Tshisekedi has full control of government now. I'm sure he won't eventually turn into a horrible dictator comparable to Kabila!

Lawman 0
Aug 17, 2010

Hey so looks like the president of Chad just got killed?

Pistol_Pete
Sep 15, 2007

Oven Wrangler
I was just looking for a thread to ask about this!

Killed on the battlefield while attempting to repel an invasion is... pretty unusual for a head of state these days, no? I wonder if that's what actually happened?

Edit: Aljazeera have a confirmation of the death, here:

https://www.aljazeera.com/news/2021/4/20/chads-president-deby-has-died-of-injuries

Looks like it was out of the blue: the rebels must've got lucky.

Pistol_Pete fucked around with this message at 12:56 on Apr 20, 2021

Lawman 0
Aug 17, 2010

It's like he decided to go real old school and lead a charge himself or something

Flayer
Sep 13, 2003

by Fluffdaddy
Buglord
Judging by the fact that a military government is now in place it seems more likely he was executed, surely. The account of the battle from the Chadian military is bizarre with hundreds of rebel casualties compared to a small handful of government ones yet in this apparent complete rout the 68 year president managed to get himself killed taking up arms?

The story doesn't add up.

Lawman 0
Aug 17, 2010

Flayer posted:

Judging by the fact that a military government is now in place it seems more likely he was executed, surely. The account of the battle from the Chadian military is bizarre with hundreds of rebel casualties compared to a small handful of government ones yet in this apparent complete rout the 68 year president managed to get himself killed taking up arms?

Hmm that sounds pretty plausible.
edit: https://twitter.com/AFP/status/1384479595538173961?s=19

Lawman 0 fucked around with this message at 13:24 on Apr 20, 2021

Pistol_Pete
Sep 15, 2007

Oven Wrangler
Most of that's probably just the standard business of exaggerating the enemy's losses, while minimising your own. A dead president is hard to minimise though: he's either around or he isn't. It sounds to me more like things weren't going so good and he felt it necessary to get out to the front lines himself, to shore up support.

kustomkarkommando
Oct 22, 2012

Flayer posted:

I don't know, Deby was still fundamentally a military ruler even with the veneer of democracy and power seems to have (rather unconstitutionally) passed to his son. I can buy that a dude who pretty much has relied on the army to remain in power would be into giving speeches to troops and the moves to transition under military rule seem to be a way to legitimize power staying in the hands of his direct family because of a lack of any planning for a transfer.

Could have been merced by someone I guess but doesn't seem power is actually leaving the hands of his clique.

Feels like we're gonna be knee deep in conspiracy theories for a while a la Laurent Kabila

Saladman
Jan 12, 2010
Doesn't seem super likely he was executed, unless by a rogue soldier, since now his son is in power.

Too bad it is unlikely to lead to anything getting better. Also god drat, that is a lot of African leaders who have died in office this year. Burundi, Tanzania, Ivory Coast*, Eswatini, and now Chad? Plus also the main competitor in DRC's election.

*actually wtf, Ivory coat twice, first Coulibaly, and then the person who replaced him as PM died last month.

E: And coincidentally, his son is the same age he was when he took power (37).

Saladman fucked around with this message at 14:55 on Apr 20, 2021

Charlz Guybon
Nov 16, 2010

Saladman posted:

Doesn't seem super likely he was executed, unless by a rogue soldier, since now his son is in power.

Too bad it is unlikely to lead to anything getting better. Also god drat, that is a lot of African leaders who have died in office this year. Burundi, Tanzania, Ivory Coast*, Eswatini, and now Chad? Plus also the main competitor in DRC's election.

*actually wtf, Ivory coat twice, first Coulibaly, and then the person who replaced him as PM died last month.

E: And coincidentally, his son is the same age he was when he took power (37).
Couldn't it have been a coup by the son?

Zedhe Khoja
Nov 10, 2017

sürgünden selamlar
yıkıcılar ulusuna
Maybe, but Deby was a glorified militia warlord to begin with (albeit a fairly well behaved one as far as they go, esp compared to the freak he replaced). It's extremely plausible he died by needlessly being personally involved in a battle.

Tuna-Fish
Sep 13, 2017

Zedhe Khoja posted:

It's extremely plausible he died by needlessly being personally involved in a battle.

And even the "needlessly" might have to be in quotes. When you are in power because the army likes you, because they feel you are one of them, it's a good idea to make sure they keep feeling that way. Sometimes that means putting yourself in harm's way. And sometimes the rebels just get really lucky.

Count Roland
Oct 6, 2013

Tuna-Fish posted:

And even the "needlessly" might have to be in quotes. When you are in power because the army likes you, because they feel you are one of them, it's a good idea to make sure they keep feeling that way. Sometimes that means putting yourself in harm's way. And sometimes the rebels just get really lucky.

Would be interesting to know the nature of the injuries. Small arms fire? Shrapnel? I wonder if rebels targeted him or if he was just near an IED.

Zudgemud
Mar 1, 2009
Grimey Drawer

Count Roland posted:

Would be interesting to know the nature of the injuries. Small arms fire? Shrapnel? I wonder if rebels targeted him or if he was just near an IED.

Heart attack due to big bang closeby.

kustomkarkommando
Oct 22, 2012

There's a rumour going around he was shot by one of his personal bodyguards who was also incidentally one of his cousins.

Again vague shades of Laurent Kabila

Zedhe Khoja
Nov 10, 2017

sürgünden selamlar
yıkıcılar ulusuna
Deby will ride eternal in Valhalla in a Toyota Hilux, all shiny and chrome. We'll never see a military leader as Mad Max as he was even in a thousand life times.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Beelzebufo
Mar 5, 2015

Frog puns are toadally awesome

I'm wondering if people more versed in this area could answer a question for me. Given what we're seeing in India, among other places, right now, I'm wondering if the relatively low covid infections/deaths by population we are seeing in big chunks of Africa is just a reporting issue, or if maybe the variants haven't spread there yet. Stories out of India seem to indicate that this wave is going really bad in rural as well as urban areas, so I was wondering if this means there's the potential for an African surge coming in the near future.