Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Alan_Shore
Dec 2, 2004

GATOS Y VATOS posted:

Did you miss the entire storyline of the Reiss family? A bloodline that ruled the world through brutal oppression and literally eating people? These are literally tropes that have been used against Jews for centuries. Never mind the mindless, giant nosed caricatures that consume everything in their path or Marleyans allowing "the good ones" to fight for their facist government etc.

Even if Isayama was using all the bad Jewish tropes in the world to say "See this is a bad thing that is done to them" he's doing it in the worst way possible.

lol you literally mentioned "blood libel" which as I showed was a dumb lie that Jews put Christian children's blood into their food. You say that's exactly the same thing as a family passing down their magic powers by the children eating the parent. Are you sure about this? Are you absolutely sure?

You then post a picture of about 16 titans, one of which has a big nose, as some kind of gotcha? For real?

Turin Turambar posted:

My hot take, also called 'Occam's Razor' argument:
I doubt Isayama has any anti-Jewish intentions, because in fact I doubt he has even known Jewish people, religion or culture personally. He is a Japan man who lives in Japan. The average Japanese knows barely a few things about Jews (if any at all!), with the source of information being a few Hollywood movies. Hell, I doubt there is any special pro- or anti- jewish movements or views in Japan in the first place. They are just a too small minority in the first place to even have an opinion of them. Even Christianity is a minority in Japan, same as Islamism.

People who does dumb takes as believing AoT is anti-jewish are forgetting that Japan is not USA, is not Europe or Russia or Middle East. They are forgetting how big is the world. Without the historical context, without the religion factor, etc, the same conditions for anti-jewish sentiments are almost impossible to take root. So your average Asiatic person isn't going to give three fucks about jews in the first place.

It's like some dumb takes I've read about race in x manga or anime, because some dumb American see everything through the race optics. In reality in at least a good amount of Asia they care much, much less about race, by virtue of the vast majority being the same race. On the other hand, they care much more about nationalism, both China, Korea and Japan are big into nationalism historically and all their past conflict. Some adaption change a character's skin color? Whatever. They change him from Chinese to Korean? Oh boy...

I've heard that the education in Japan of WW2 etc is not... the best. It's entirely possible Isayama is actually thinking of the way the Japanese put Chinese into camps and forced them to wear armbands. I don't know. I'd love an interview from him talking about it, but maybe no one has asked because it's dumb.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Thundercracker
Jun 25, 2004

Proudly serving the Ruinous Powers since as a veteran of the long war.
College Slice

Turin Turambar posted:

My hot take, also called 'Occam's Razor' argument:
I doubt Isayama has any anti-Jewish intentions, because in fact I doubt he has even known Jewish people, religion or culture personally. He is a Japan man who lives in Japan. The average Japanese knows barely a few things about Jews (if any at all!), with the source of information being a few Hollywood movies. Hell, I doubt there is any special pro- or anti- jewish movements or views in Japan in the first place. They are just a too small minority in the first place to even have an opinion of them. Even Christianity is a minority in Japan, same as Islamism.

People who does dumb takes as believing AoT is anti-jewish are forgetting that Japan is not USA, is not Europe or Russia or Middle East. They are forgetting how big is the world. Without the historical context, without the religion factor, etc, the same conditions for anti-jewish sentiments are almost impossible to take root. So your average Asiatic person isn't going to give three fucks about jews in the first place.

It's like some dumb takes I've read about race in x manga or anime, because some dumb American see everything through the race optics. In reality in at least a good amount of Asia they care much, much less about race, by virtue of the vast majority being the same race. On the other hand, they care much more about nationalism, both China, Korea and Japan are big into nationalism historically and all their past conflict. Some adaption change a character's skin color? Whatever. They change him from Chinese to Korean? Oh boy...

There's definitely anti-semitism in Japan. Maybe not the Gotta kill them all kind, but the Nazis made sure to try to indoctrinate the Japanese with propaganda about jews.

Also, the logic that just because there's no jews on Japan there's no anti-semitism makes no sense. There's tremendous antisemitism in countries where jews barely exist. Poland and Spain come to mind.

http://www2.hawaii.edu/~tbrislin/David_Godzilla.htm

Thundercracker fucked around with this message at 13:58 on Mar 23, 2021

HiveCommander
Jun 19, 2012

It's easy to look at things through the lens of Western perspective, where most of us learned about all the atrocities of WWII in school. Gotta keep in mind that Japan actively avoids teaching the details of it, and skims over most of the events between 1931 and 1945.
You can't just apply your country's viewpoints to somebody else who grew up on the other side of the world, because you haven't had the same life experiences. That's even a theme that's been tackled in this very series with Gabi and Kaya.

GATOS Y VATOS
Aug 22, 2002

Alan_Shore posted:

lol you literally mentioned "blood libel" which as I showed was a dumb lie that Jews put Christian children's blood into their food. You say that's exactly the same thing as a family passing down their magic powers by the children eating the parent. Are you sure about this? Are you absolutely sure?

You then post a picture of about 16 titans, one of which has a big nose, as some kind of gotcha? For real?

I've heard that the education in Japan of WW2 etc is not... the best. It's entirely possible Isayama is actually thinking of the way the Japanese put Chinese into camps and forced them to wear armbands. I don't know. I'd love an interview from him talking about it, but maybe no one has asked because it's dumb.

Most of the titans are anti Semitic Jewish caricatures, including those in that picture, not just one with a big nose. Hairy, exaggerated features, constantly consuming mindlessly, aliens from outside but [i]your neighbor could secretly be one[i]. These are all tropes that have been used against Jews literally for centuries.

Yeah, blood libel is a loving lie, no poo poo genius. Putting blood of children into rice gruel (reiss). The alegory was laid out in the 2019 season when it was revealed that Eldians are basically Jews. He's not even trying to be clever about it.

It also doesn't help the picture of him leaning into fascism by making beloved character Dot Pixis based on Imperial General Akiyama Yoshifuru who slaughtered Koreans under the occupation.

JahRoo
Oct 22, 2010

GATOS Y VATOS posted:

Most of the titans are anti Semitic Jewish caricatures, including those in that picture, not just one with a big nose. Hairy, exaggerated features, constantly consuming mindlessly, aliens from outside but [i]your neighbor could secretly be one[i]. These are all tropes that have been used against Jews literally for centuries.

Yeah, blood libel is a loving lie, no poo poo genius. Putting blood of children into rice gruel (reiss). The alegory was laid out in the 2019 season when it was revealed that Eldians are basically Jews. He's not even trying to be clever about it.

It also doesn't help the picture of him leaning into fascism by making beloved character Dot Pixis based on Imperial General Akiyama Yoshifuru who slaughtered Koreans under the occupation.

Did you actually watch the show or did you read the polygon article and then work yourself into a frenzy

GATOS Y VATOS
Aug 22, 2002

JahRoo posted:

Did you actually watch the show or did you read the polygon article and then work yourself into a frenzy

I watch the show and suddenly the message that the titans are Jews became the point of the entire series.

JahRoo
Oct 22, 2010

Who would you say is the bad guy in this story?

Fat and Useless
Sep 3, 2011

Not Thin and Useful

GATOS Y VATOS posted:

Titans do not have hairy bodies what the gently caress are you on, most of them look like loving middle aged salary men.

And once again the Reiss family never did what you are saying they did.

GATOS Y VATOS
Aug 22, 2002

Pretty much no one is 'good'. They are all at this point fascist ideologues who are wanting to rule the world for their own perceived righteousness while innocent people die by the hundreds if not thousands.

Eustace
Feb 26, 2009

GATOS Y VATOS posted:

Pretty much no one is 'good'. They are all at this point fascist ideologues who are wanting to rule the world for their own perceived righteousness while innocent people die by the hundreds if not thousands.

drat thats wild. I wonder what Isayama means by that?

The Black Stones
May 7, 2007

I POSTED WHAT NOW!?

GATOS Y VATOS posted:

constantly consuming mindlessly

I’ve seen a lot of Jewish stereotypes on TV and when the hell has this been one of them?

Like, all media I’ve seen that paints them as negative has them greedy and hoarding everything up for themselves. Not consuming mindlessly. That’s just capitalism.

You’re literally inventing stereotypes to make your argument work.

Alan_Shore
Dec 2, 2004

I mean titans don't even carry wallets wtf

Alan_Shore
Dec 2, 2004

To recap: the titans are Jews because of the famous caricatures such as they're hairy (they're not) and consume mindlessly (Jews were stereotyped as doing the complete opposite) and now almost exclusively attack each other (as opposed to Jews being stereotyped as the ultra secret tightknit club).

Also everyone in the show, the "Jews" and "not-Jews", is equally bad.

Somehow this is anti-semetic.

RubberLuffy
Mar 31, 2011
Also the inspiration for the Titan design is the Mona Lisa in Hell Teacher Nube, and also visually based on real people, like the cast of Game Of Thrones, or Bob Odenkirk, or just randos from magazines.

Yeah I can see it.

grieving for Gandalf
Apr 22, 2008

thesis: the Eldians and Titans are all written and designed after antisemitic tropes and this show is bad

antithesis: the Eldians and Titans aren't antisemitic at all, it's fine

synthesis: the Eldians are Jews and it rocks

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

Eustace posted:

Truly, it's impossible to say.

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

GATOS Y VATOS posted:

He never served in Korea. Polygon should be fired into the sun

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

The titans definitely serve as the stand in for the otherized enemy in a fascist society. That they specifically are an analogue for Jews is completely absurd though

JahRoo
Oct 22, 2010

GATOS Y VATOS posted:

Eustace posted:

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

That was pretty intense, huh?

GATOS Y VATOS posted:

Holy poo poo you're dumb, lmao.

Ima Computer
Oct 28, 2007

Stop all the downloading!

Help computer.
I love when people use their surface-level understanding of the story to cherry-pick examples and find hidden patterns that prove a deep-state conspiracy by a cabal of facist, pro-military-dictatorship Japanese pedophiles promoting an anti-Jewish agenda.

JahRoo
Oct 22, 2010

I wrote up a big long effort post but decided not to post. Frankly it's exhausting to have a new person come into this thread or the manga thread every handful of pages, attempt to make the argument that the show is unironically fascist, anti-Semitic, or both, and then evaporate into thin air after a couple posts, never to be seen again. It never feels like the argument is being made in good faith by someone that has actually grappled with what the story is saying.

dipwood
Feb 22, 2004

rouge means red in french
You could just ignore these people and move on. Seems like clear trolling to me.

RubberLuffy
Mar 31, 2011
Here, let me point out an actual anti-Semitic anime: Angel Cop, an OVA from decades ago

Toxic Fart Syndrome
Jul 2, 2006

*hits A-THREAD-5*

Only 3.6 Roentgoons per hour ... not great, not terrible.

...the meter only goes to 3.6...

Pork Pro
The text itself also drives this point home: one of the non-Eldian generals from Marley watches ~in disgust~ as the titans Marley just dropped in an aerial bombardment devour soldiers of the MEA. “Truly devils, our Marleyan ancestors were eaten just like that...”

No poo poo, dude? Is it, like, maybe bad?

Much like the pro-fascist posters: zero introspection.

GATOS Y VATOS posted:

Eustace posted:

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

dipwood posted:

You could just ignore these people and move on. Seems like clear trolling to me.

You could, but I think it's better to engage in good faith and explain how they're a complete loving dummy for others to see. Even if it's clear trolling, indulging them at least has the benefit of making sure the ill-informed don't mistake their bullshit as an actual valid argument.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

GATOS Y VATOS posted:

Most of the titans are anti Semitic Jewish caricatures,

They were based on drunk people.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

MonsterEnvy posted:

They were based on drunk people.

Great, now you're gonna tell me Isayama is pro Anti-Irish.

Toxic Fart Syndrome
Jul 2, 2006

*hits A-THREAD-5*

Pork Pro
I mean, if we want to make up allegory, wouldn’t it be just as simple to say AoT is anti-western? A tiny island of hardworking, Japanese-speaking people is invaded by giant, uncaring mobs of what appear to be The Whites, who consume everything in sight, even human lives.

Definitely saying something about the US and EU using their economic superiority to trample the good islanders of the East.
:nallears:

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.
That doesn't really work either, for the usual reason: 99% of the plot is Eldians fighting other Eldians (even if they're not always aware of it.)

I do think it's a little strange that the Eldian power is inherited, and that that fantastical element kind of lends itself to some weird takes if you try to take AoT as allegory*. There's some tenuous resemblance between every Eldian being inherently linked to this latent power and the notion of an organic nation, something which in real life is utter nonsense but features prominently in nationalist propaganda of all kinds.

But even then look at what the story actually says about that state of affairs: it's not a glorious power, and it's one that leads to awful consequences for the vast majority of Eldians. The latest episode explicitly made the comparison that every Eldian is effectively an extension of the royal family / Founding Titan's body, with full emphasis on how horrific that concept is. So even in this reading, Attack on Titan is essentially saying "wouldn't it be incredibly hosed up if the nationalist/fascist conception of history and peoplehood were true?"

* You also, of course, have the option of not doing this; allegory is not the be-all and end-all of critical lenses. :v:

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

Or put another way: a much more cogent reading of AoT is that it's about the collective guilt of a people who went all-in on nationalism, which -- purely as a science-fictional, "what-if" kind of scenario -- manifests as an inherited blood curse that predisposes them towards being weapons of war and empire.

This becomes even clearer when you look at pretty much any of the shows villains, all of whom are characterized by their incredibly hosed up responses to this guilt, whether it's Zeke's longing for ethnic suicide, Floch's gleeful embrace of empire, or Eren's disavowal of responsibility as he continues to commit further atrocities.

e: Or the king's solution of collective amnesia and the Vow to Renounce War -- which may have worked for a few generations but has led to all the same poo poo happening again as soon as his control slipped for a moment.

Tuxedo Catfish fucked around with this message at 20:13 on Mar 23, 2021

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

That doesn't really work either, for the usual reason: 99% of the plot is Eldians fighting other Eldians (even if they're not always aware of it.)

I do think it's a little strange that the Eldian power is inherited, and that that fantastical element kind of lends itself to some weird takes if you try to take AoT as allegory*. There's some tenuous resemblance between every Eldian being inherently linked to this latent power and the notion of an organic nation, something which in real life is utter nonsense but features prominently in nationalist propaganda of all kinds.

It should be noted Eldia was not composed of just Eldians. We know there were chunk of asians from the Azumabito family, that came to the walls. And a good chunk of the walls nobility were non eldians as the founding Titan's memory wipe did not work on them, and so they were given positions of power as a bribe to not dispel the lie that the Walls were all that remained of humanity.

Toxic Fart Syndrome
Jul 2, 2006

*hits A-THREAD-5*

Pork Pro

MonsterEnvy posted:

It should be noted Eldia was not composed of just Eldians. We know there were chunk of asians from the Azumabito family, that came to the walls. And a good chunk of the walls nobility were non eldians as the founding Titan's memory wipe did not work on them, and so they were given positions of power as a bribe to not dispel the lie that the Walls were all that remained of humanity.

Was it that they explicitly weren't Eldian? I thought that there were just some Eldian bloodlines which were immune to the mindwipe, and that those families tended to be in the nobility due to that advantage.

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.

Irony Be My Shield posted:

I was wondering which youtube video they'd just finished watching before steaming into this thread.

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

This becomes even clearer when you look at pretty much any of the shows villains, all of whom are characterized by their incredibly hosed up responses to this guilt, whether it's Zeke's longing for ethnic suicide, Floch's gleeful embrace of empire, or Eren's disavowal of responsibility as he continues to commit further atrocities.

I'd say the exact opposite about Eren, actually. He's said that he's the only free person, the only one that can do as he wishes - thus, he's the only one with genuine responsibility. Mikasa is not responsible for imprinting onto Eren and having the instinct of having to protect him no matter what. Armin isn't the one that cares for Annie, Bertholdt inside his head is. From Eren's own words, he's the only one of the three that can be blamed for his actions. He also seemed to take full responsibility when he talked to Reiner at the beginning of the season, before he killed a bunch of innocents.

The current Eren seems to be perfectly fine with doing whatever it takes to reach his objectives (whatever these are - I don't believe for a second he was actually following Zeke's plan) but I have to wonder just how much of that is true. He did break down laughing after Sasha's death (which Eren specifically does not do out of happiness, which we've seen before) and "I'm free" is basically a madness mantra for him.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

Well, okay; I will admit Eren's position is hard to read because we don't fully know what he's thinking, and even his direct statements are pretty suspect. But at the very least I don't think declaring war on the whole world and telling your best friends they're mindless slaves is the mark of a healthy reaction.

e: I interpreted Eren's discussion with Reiner as him saying that he finally saw the big picture and made a rational decision in response to it, but that there was only one course of action open to him, which makes his "freedom" an ironic illusion. "I've probably been like this all my life; I'll keep moving forward until I exterminate the enemy" as he compares himself to someone who regrets everything he's ever done sounds to me like he's psychologically distancing himself from his own actions.

Tuxedo Catfish fucked around with this message at 22:27 on Mar 23, 2021

Pththya-lyi
Nov 8, 2009

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2020

Irony Be My Shield posted:

Also, I'm reminded about a bunch of goons' love for General William Tecumseh Sherman, who is best known for crushing the American Confederacy with his scorched-earth tactics. Considerably less well-known are his genocidal practices against the Plains Indians. I don't see a Sherman-loving goon and think "Wow, that person must hate Native Americans and love genocide," I just assume they know about him beating the nation based around the preservation of chattel slavery and not about what happened after. Should Sherman stans educate themselves a little better? Absolutely. Should we write them off as irredeemable racists? I don't think so.

Vanderdeath
Oct 1, 2005

I will confess,
I love this cultured hell that tests my youth.

The one thing that sticks in my craw is that Attack on Titan got this label yet Fullmetal Alchemist is beloved, despite its rather loving unfortunate handling of a Middle Eastern coded ethnic cleansing by a dude literally called the Fuhrer. I like FMA but I've wondered how it's managed to not catch smoke over the Ishval.

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

People weren't as broke-brained in 2009.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Vanderdeath posted:

The one thing that sticks in my craw is that Attack on Titan got this label yet Fullmetal Alchemist is beloved, despite its rather loving unfortunate handling of a Middle Eastern coded ethnic cleansing by a dude literally called the Fuhrer. I like FMA but I've wondered how it's managed to not catch smoke over the Ishval.

Fun fact the Ishvalans are based on the Ainu. (Who I might as well add have very cool clothes.)