Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pyrolocutus
Feb 5, 2005
Shape of Flame

No. 1 Juicy Boi posted:

In y'all's experience, does Malifaux still have a good local following and is it still producing new content and stuff?

I love the concept and setting, but don't know much about Malifaux past that.

Malifaux is still getting regular releases (although affected by the pandemic to some extent) and just started putting out a new faction (Explorer's Society) this past December. They've been re-packing models for other factions with the new edition, slipping in resculpts and the odd new model here and there for those other factions.

The company has had some issues with keeping up production for their other wargame, The Other Side, but they do have plans for two new factions for that as well as a new 2 player starter that will work for both Malifaux and The Other Side.

The Kansas City/Columbia/St. Louis communities still seem quietly active given pandemic constraints - folks playing on TTS and clearing their hobby backlog. The general Malifaux Facebook group (A Wyrd Place) is fairly active.

I don't think the game is likely to die anytime soon and it has a very loyal following, but I have no idea what your local gaming community looks like.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Death is nothing compared to vindication.
Buglord
Sweet thanks!

TheFinalTuba
May 3, 2016
I think 3 masters is a solid place to start. And Yan Lo is a very different master from your other two, so you'll be in a good position to learn about what masters feel good into certain pools for your playstyle.

As far as Ashigaru, they are just INCREDIBLE tarpit models... for FIVE stones, you get a model with 2 inch reach and extended reach. They have take the hit so they can help your other models stay alive. Which is great because with Armor and Hard to kill, it's going to take most models at least 3-4 successful hits to take them down. for a FIVE STONE MINION!

And Toshiro summons them which is just amazing. on a 10 of crows and a corpse marker (which will likely be plentiful... more so in Ressers, but probably still in 10T) he just gets an ashigaru. They take damage, yes, but he can heal them with a 6. Even without healing they're tough to remove, again, armor and HTK. Also with terrifying, 10 health, and HTW, he's a tough tarpit too. They're definitely a solid bunch.

Also, definitely look at Gokudo. They're obnoxious as hell because you get to resummon your ancestors essentially for free. I wouldn't be surprised though if they get nerfed in the very near future, so buyer beware :P

TheFinalTuba fucked around with this message at 05:21 on Mar 14, 2021

midwifecrisis
Jul 5, 2005

oh, have I got some GREAT news for you!

Can't speak to your local community, but the New England area (eastern MA) had a 10 player in-person Covid-ready tournament a few weeks ago that drew people from around the region (I know WMA and Connecticut people who went). The Connecticut meta in particular has a few new players and many returning players who are chomping at the bit for in-store gaming to open up again.

Electric Hobo
Oct 22, 2008

Grimey Drawer

SiKboy posted:

X-post from painting thread

Looking good! I'm really looking forward to playing the M&SU, but I'm a galaxy brain who stuck them all on corks so I'll have to paint them first...
The whole idea of the union beating the poo poo out of zombies, wizards, and monsters, just seem really fun to me!

Flipswitch
Mar 30, 2010

TheFinalTuba posted:

I think 3 masters is a solid place to start. And Yan Lo is a very different master from your other two, so you'll be in a good position to learn about what masters feel good into certain pools for your playstyle.

As far as Ashigaru, they are just INCREDIBLE tarpit models... for FIVE stones, you get a model with 2 inch reach and extended reach. They have take the hit so they can help your other models stay alive. Which is great because with Armor and Hard to kill, it's going to take most models at least 3-4 successful hits to take them down. for a FIVE STONE MINION!

And Toshiro summons them which is just amazing. on a 10 of crows and a corpse marker (which will likely be plentiful... more so in Ressers, but probably still in 10T) he just gets an ashigaru. They take damage, yes, but he can heal them with a 6. Even without healing they're tough to remove, again, armor and HTK. Also with terrifying, 10 health, and HTW, he's a tough tarpit too. They're definitely a solid bunch.

Also, definitely look at Gokudo. They're obnoxious as hell because you get to resummon your ancestors essentially for free. I wouldn't be surprised though if they get nerfed in the very near future, so buyer beware :P
Thanks buddy, the Gokudo are in the starter box so I'll definitely get them. I'll hold out on the Manos/Ashigaru box for now as it's quite pricey, but I'lll look into getting Crime Syndicate, Yan Lo and the Chiaki(?) Box first. :)

Yeah, having 3 different masters seems ideal, so I'll snag those two boxes up for Yan Lo next, then look into finishing up my keywords.

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Buglord
Picked up a Battle Systems core box and two Malifaux core boxes so I can start dicking around and learning this game. Went with Lady Justice and McMourning because they were thematically the neatest to me.

The Battle Systems box is only a 2'x2' mat, but that should be fine for such a low soul gem point game and I can always just buy a bigger mat.

Pyrolocutus
Feb 5, 2005
Shape of Flame

No. 1 Juicy Boi posted:

Picked up a Battle Systems core box and two Malifaux core boxes so I can start dicking around and learning this game. Went with Lady Justice and McMourning because they were thematically the neatest to me.

The Battle Systems box is only a 2'x2' mat, but that should be fine for such a low soul gem point game and I can always just buy a bigger mat.

Lady J and McMourning really have it in for each other in the fluff, so it's also thematic :) Hope you enjoy playing 'em!

midwifecrisis
Jul 5, 2005

oh, have I got some GREAT news for you!

Pyrolocutus posted:

Lady J and McMourning really have it in for each other in the fluff, so it's also thematic :) Hope you enjoy playing 'em!

I demo the game using their henchmen usually on a 2'x2' mat, they're a great combo for showing off the game.

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Buglord

midwifecrisis posted:

I demo the game using their henchmen usually on a 2'x2' mat, they're a great combo for showing off the game.

What just one henchman each side on a 2'x2' mat? No other models?

Cassa
Jan 29, 2009
Henchman Hardcore is pretty solid way to get to grips with the crews, if you've played other mini skirmish games.

Pyrolocutus
Feb 5, 2005
Shape of Flame

No. 1 Juicy Boi posted:

What just one henchman each side on a 2'x2' mat? No other models?

Cassa posted:

Henchman Hardcore is pretty solid way to get to grips with the crews, if you've played other mini skirmish games.

To clarify, it's a format in Malifaux where you play with Henchman leaders plus a crew. It's a slightly more low-powered and less complicated version of a regular game with Masters, and features a predetermined scheme/strategy pool.

SiKboy
Oct 28, 2007

Oh no!😱

Another X-post from the miniature painting thread!

SiKboy posted:

I did some more Malifaux painting over the last couple of weeks! First up a couple of miscellaneous figures.

The Bloodhunter (AKA Nekimas Ugly Doggy) I think hes supposed to be threatening, but hes just kind of cute. Maybe if I added some blood effects, but I kind of like him as is.

Collodi (metal 1e) and his Marionettes (plastic 2e). Dont love these figures tbh, painted them this weekend when I was dog tired and needed something I didnt care if I hosed up. They came out okay but I still dont much like the figures.

Lazarus, for the Freikorps, another candidate for the category "Malifaux figures who are definitely too big for their base"

The rest are a Arcanist Sandeep Desai Academic crew. These were fun models to build and paint.

The man himself, Sandeep Desai.

Banasuva. There are times I'm willing to give some simple OSL a go, but frankly when a model has 8 seperate flames on it, not so much. Still, really liked this figure to paint!

Kudra. She was the toughest to put together our this crew, a couple of teeny tiny attachment points.

The Shastar Vidiya Guards.

Bonus: All the "Academic" and "Elemental" models I have, including the ice guys poached from my december crew. I think hes my biggest keyword crew just on a raw "number of models" basis.

Electric Hobo
Oct 22, 2008

Grimey Drawer
Those all look great!
I should probably paint something, but I'm kind of in a slump. I bought myself a resin printer, so a bunch of family members wants me to print and paint them stuff. So now I'm painting all kinds of crap instead of fun stuff. At least there're only two baby yodas left until I can start on my M&SU crew.

SiKboy
Oct 28, 2007

Oh no!😱

Electric Hobo posted:

Those all look great!
I should probably paint something, but I'm kind of in a slump. I bought myself a resin printer, so a bunch of family members wants me to print and paint them stuff. So now I'm painting all kinds of crap instead of fun stuff. At least there're only two baby yodas left until I can start on my M&SU crew.

I keep eyeing up a resin printer, then looking at the pile of models I have sitting built and undercoated and not painted and removing it from my basket again. They've dropped in price a lot, but not enough to justify me picking one up primarily to print out little odds and ends for basing bits. Yet...

SiKboy
Oct 28, 2007

Oh no!😱

Once again I'm more than willing to double post in this thread and theres nothing you can do to stop me! (joking aside, this thread is quiet enough that I figure no-one really minds the occasional "here is some malifaux figures" post)

X-post from painting thread:

SiKboy posted:

All Malifaux 2E/3E plastics.

3 Waldgeists. Theres a movie called "Barney Thompson" where someone describes Robert Carlyle as looking like a Haunted Tree, its all I could think of when painting these boys. The basing involved something I always find slightly comical; Painting actual wood so it looks more like wood.

A Librarian for the Freikorps faction. Almost entirely contrasts and metallics.

Hannah Lovelace, also Freikorps. There is an open sewer drain in the gutter on the base, so the tentacles are coming out of that, the angle of the photo does make it look a little like they are coming out of the cobbles.

I was forewarned by Electric Hobo in this thread that Hannah was a bit of a bastard to put together, and yeah, the instructions are kind of awful, but also if you didnt have them you wouldnt have a chance. There are a few bits that are almost identical, but different enough to not be interchangable between the left and right sides (the upper legs and the round bits that clip round them on the legs, the ball joints at the elbows on the arms. The fingers were also a bit "Which is finger #1 and which is finger #2?"), and the instructions showing everything at weird perspectives were not helpful (they dont print the instructions and put them in the boxes, so why are they all restricted to half a side of A4 regardless how complex or not the models are?). But taking it slow, dry fitting everything and making it in parts meant that, while it was time consuming, there werent any major disasters. Painted Hannah herself seperate from the mech suit as a sub assembly which I think was the right way to go tbh.

The Librarian was one of the simplest Malifaux figures I've built. Didnt even have tiny separate feet or anything! I hope everyone at Wyrd is feeling okay.

I was dreading putting the Waldgeist together, but they were also surprisingly painless tbh. Most of the fiddly looking branches were not separate components which was nice, and most stuff had nice obvious and secure connection points.

Bonus shot of the Freikorps crew;

I'm just pleased I managed to more or less match the flagstone colours of the two new ones to the ones I painted more than a year ago. Lesson here is: Always write down the colours you use for things like uniforms and bases, saves you spending an evening squinting at a base going "Does this look more like field grey, field blue or mid grey?".

Electric Hobo
Oct 22, 2008

Grimey Drawer
Yeah, Hannah was a fun one to assemble! The paintjob on her is great, I really like the bright blue for her clothes.
I haven't been doing anything Malifaux related, except for buying the complete December keyword, plus the funky 1. Edition Rasputina.

SiKboy
Oct 28, 2007

Oh no!😱

Cross post from mini painting thread once again. I'm really glad I got back into miniature painting a couple of years ago, not being able to go anywhere, see anyone or do anything kind of sucks, and its been something to do!

SiKboy posted:

Painted some more Malifaux folks this week, this time Mei Fengs Foundry crew.

Consisting of;

Me Feng herself, annoyingly the figure I'm least happy with. Shes a bit better in person than this picture looks though;

The Forgeling. I'm really pleased with how he/his base came out.

Kang

The Rail Workers

Sparks LeBlanc, low key probably my favourite figure of this crew.

The Survivors. These guys (and Sparks) were already built and put onto a railroad track-styled balsa and styrene rod base when I got them, which on the one hand I didnt hate, but on the other there was no way I was going to be able to replicate with the rest of the crew, so instead I just went heavy on the orange to give them some cohesion, and added some ballast on all the bases when I painted them.

Whole crew including the Mechanized Porkchop I painted months ago:

I'll probably wind up getting the metal Gamin/Golem at some point, but they arent a priority because they frankly dont seem like they'd be that interesting to paint.

I have a lore question; The Survivors; Are they supposed to be voluntary workers with replacement parts from injury like the rail workers, or slaves/involuntary test subjects? Wyrds page on Mei seems to make out shes generally good, but it doesnt mention them, and they are called "the survivors" which doesnt bode well.

Electric Hobo
Oct 22, 2008

Grimey Drawer

SiKboy posted:

I have a lore question; The Survivors; Are they supposed to be voluntary workers with replacement parts from injury like the rail workers, or slaves/involuntary test subjects? Wyrds page on Mei seems to make out shes generally good, but it doesnt mention them, and they are called "the survivors" which doesnt bode well.
They are survivors of gator attacks, who Sparks made prosthetics for after he learned how from the rail crew.
Surprisingly wholesome.

SiKboy
Oct 28, 2007

Oh no!😱

Electric Hobo posted:

They are survivors of gator attacks, who Sparks made prosthetics for after he learned how from the rail crew.
Surprisingly wholesome.

Ah! That is much much more wholesome than I was expecting, thanks!

jodai
Mar 2, 2010

Banging with all due hardness.
You might want Neil Henry, too, to round out the crew and keyword. With Sparks' ability to make people constructs and the abilities Neil brings against constructs, it can be a really good combo. He's pretty straightforward as far as modeling/painting, though.

SiKboy
Oct 28, 2007

Oh no!😱

jodai posted:

You might want Neil Henry, too, to round out the crew and keyword. With Sparks' ability to make people constructs and the abilities Neil brings against constructs, it can be a really good combo. He's pretty straightforward as far as modeling/painting, though.

He comes in a box with the guy with the dynamite wheelbarrow, right? I'll keep an eye out, thanks!

SiKboy
Oct 28, 2007

Oh no!😱

X-post from mini painting thread

SiKboy posted:

Some more Malifaux!

3 "Crooked Men" (zombie miners)

A Reva Cortinas starter box. Not gonna lie, I'm quite pleased with how Reva herself turned out (the woman on the horse)

I also did some Bayou Gators who are versatile but keyworded swampfiend, so I put them with my Zoraida models:

Wazzu
Feb 28, 2008

Are you sure I'm winning the Rumble? That does'nt seem right.....

Cassa posted:

I'm gonna stick to henchmen hardcore games for a bit longer, but already thinking about how to go to full size.

Also where I'm gonna get all these piano markers from for the Zipp crew, I tried dollhouse/train stuff but that's all so expensive.

https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:372358
If you know someone with a 3D printer, there's many little pianos you can print.

Cassa posted:

The last two Iron Skeeters have been sitting on my build pile for the whole weekend and I don't wanna go anywhere near those nightmares.

I don't think I'll actually run them at all, not when I could add more luchadores.

Skeeters for mobility and concealment, wrastlers for markers (especially scheme marker) removal.

SiKboy posted:

He comes in a box with the guy with the dynamite wheelbarrow, right? I'll keep an eye out, thanks!

Neil is all well and good, but hoo boy Willie is the golden child when facing destructible terrain crews.

I've recently painted up Nephilim (largely from 2E models), I should get nice photos soon and post. Also my local scene in Brisbane, Australia is back and I'm so happy to be having games again :).

Wazzu fucked around with this message at 09:56 on May 14, 2021

Electric Hobo
Oct 22, 2008

Grimey Drawer
I played a game as Tara, against Nekima. Holy poo poo, Nekima and her Mature Nephilims hit like a ton of bricks! Nekima made quick work of Karina, and then Tara, but I did get a bunch of summons up, so I could win the melee through pure attrition.
The errataed Talos did a lot of work, beating guys up, burying them, setting them on fire, and lowering their defense while they're buried. He's actually useful now!
Aionus also did a lot of work in turn 4 and 5, where his Eventuality does a lot of damage with no flip.
In the end, there was only Nekima and a Mature Nephilim left on the board, while my Scion of the Void was buried and couldn't do anything.
I did win though, and the game was great!

SiKboy
Oct 28, 2007

Oh no!😱

My paints are currently packed away and wet pallet been left to dry. Instead I've been spending a couple of evenings this week building figures. Bunch of random ebay purchases, I usually prefer to buy prebuilt but if the price is right whatever.

The 2E relic hunter McCabe box was a regular joy to put together. Horses head didnt fit super well onto its torso, but some filing before gluing a little gap filling after and it was fine. One of the wastrels had a leg that just doesnt fit quite right no matter what you do, but again a bit of filing and some minor filling and it was fine. One of the figures is literally 2 pieces and doesnt look any worse for it. The parts were all lettered/numbered on the sprue too, so you know which parts go to which model which is nice.

2 Thalarian Quellers, also no major issues. The male one went together with a minor (easily fillable) gap and while I dont much like the female ones sculpt (its not bad per se, its just that it looks like someone had a 3d render for a "barbarian sorceress" model already lying around when they got the call from Wyrd to make a female Thalarian Queller, so slapped a bolt pistol on her hip and called it a day) the construction was easy, only real criticism is that its not really obvious what part of the staff shes supposed to be holding (which I assume is why half the hits for her on GIS arent even holding the staff).

2 scavengers from the 3E Leviticus starter box were some of the easiest Malifaux builds I've ever done. They were practically push-fit! A far cry from gremlins with seperate feet and tiny ankles.

So, whats next on the pile? Why, its this box of 2 Goryo. Everything else has gone so easily, maybe I've been slandering Wyrd all this time when I've complained about how hard their figures can be to put together. Sure the goryo seems a little more challenging, but the instructions make it seem easy if you are methodical.

Well, gently caress me running I have not been slandering wyrd ENOUGH. They are something like 25 pieces in each goryo. Some of the ghosts have separate tongues. There is a floaty sash and floaty ghosts and floaty tendrils of ectoplasm. The ghosts have one good anchor point on the figure, one okay one, and one basically non-existent one. I start to get an inkling something is up a couple of bits in to the build when I'm putting the robe together, and it seems to fit a bit weirdly (like it needs to be put together in a certain order which isnt indicated anywhere) So I check the Gmorts Chaotica blog, a website I'm sure you are mostly familiar with (as its pretty much always in the first page of results when I google a figures name). I usually check that site for build tips on tricky stuff because he generally mentions things like "build the robe from left to right" or "these feathers dont have a connection point" or "If you build this bit as a sub assembly it doesnt actually fit under the arm". They arent there. Oh well, he doesnt have everything (and I dont think he still does Malifaux, I dont see anything on his list past 2E). So I google "Malifaux Goryo" and googles first suggestion is "Malifaux Goryo Assembly" which isnt a good sign. On the first page of results is a post he made on the Wyrd forums describing the Goryo as (and I'm paraphrasing here) only the second malifaux kit hes ever rage-quit. Along with several other posters complaining about them.

So, in case anyone ever needs to build Goryo, here is what I would say: 1) consider if you really NEED Goryo. Plenty other figures out there. 2) okay, assuming someone is holding your family at gunpoint and wont release them unless you build the standing Goryo figure, consider if you really NEED your family back. You're young, you can move on and start over. 3) Still going for it? Okay, heres what the build instruction should say if they werent allergic to words and numbers over at wyrd instruction writing HQ:

Build the front torso of the goryo first. It'll seem like there is a crack in it between the leftmost and middle bit, but its fine, its a fold in the robe. Attach the sword to the back THEN attach the sash to the back. NOW STOP. Do not attempt to attach the arms yet. There is a weird slotlike rectangular gap in the underside of the robe, but as far as I can tell its supposed to be there. Probably wont be massively visible when you base it anyway.

Now assemble most of the ghosts. The rightmost ghost (as you look at the figure from the front) has a right arm with a tab in it. DO NOT ATTACH THIS ARM TO THE GHOST IT BELONGS TO DESPITE HOW SENSIBLE THIS WOULD APPEAR TO BE. Instead, glue the tab from that arm into the matching slot on the middle ghost. Also do not attach the trail of ectoplasm to the leftmost ghost. Now its time to put the ghosts on the goryo. Thank whatever powers you believe in that poly cement/plastic glue has a long working time because you may need it. Rightmost ghost has an anchor point on the hilts of the swords on the back, hes the easy one. Middle ghost has an anchor point on the front of the goryos right shoulder. No, I know it looks more like he should be coming out from under where the right arm is going to go, but trust me, he wont fit there with the arm. So glue him to the front, then rotate him back until the shoulder of the arm glued onto his side meets the shoulder socket of the rightmost ghost you have already put in place. This is where the working time of the plastic glue comes in handy as you may have to twist him a little too to get them to fit together.

Now put the figure down. Take a minute. Remember happier times. Put the cap back on the glue and walk around a bit, at this point it feels like borderline solvent abuse. When the glue has set and your resolve to finish is strong, come back with tweezers. Put them to one side. Now the third ghost, with no apparent anchor point? Its tail is supposed to anchor inbetween the Goryos chin and the hem of his robe. This is why you didnt attach the arms earlier, because theres a good chance he wouldnt fit now. So glue him in. I used a little poster tack to support him a few millimetres above the trailing sash thing. Then before that glue dries, quickly glue the left arm in place, then put glue on the right arm and use tweezers to put it in place. Or at least I needed the tweezers as it needs slotted in between the ghosts, and lined up with left arm (as the right hand is part of the sword hilt, so the arms have to match pretty exactly.

Now, put that down and let it dry. Not because the last step is difficult, but because if you drop it before it dries and everything goes squint you may throw all your modelling stuff through the window, then run off into the night and never be seen again. Once it dries glue the fastener of the sash on the models left, and the last piece of trailing ectoplasm on the leftmost ghost. Despite this having a definite anchor point I couldnt find a way to make it look natural, so wound up taking a "good enough is" attitude.

And now you are done! Except to note that the figure barely connects to its base at all, you have a choice of having it lean forward on the front edge of its robe, or stand straight up on two tiny sections. Neither looks quite right, so I've gone for standing upright and I'll hide where it touches the base in static grass anyway.

I havent yet attempted the crouching Goryo. I'm saving that for when I decide I dont have enough stress in my life or hatred in my heart. I've got Sanctioned Spellcasters and Union Miners to build this week but they seem pretty straightforward. I hope.

Electric Hobo
Oct 22, 2008

Grimey Drawer
What a beautiful writeup! I hope that the model is looking cool now, at least.

SiKboy
Oct 28, 2007

Oh no!😱

Electric Hobo posted:

What a beautiful writeup! I hope that the model is looking cool now, at least.

Honestly, I'm torn! Its a good looking figure, I cannot deny that at all, and I'm personally glad I built it "properly" (some of the ones I saw when I googled had only used two of the ghosts, possibly because they stuck the arms on then realised that ghost #3 no longer fit). But man I cannot shake the feeling that you could make it about 50% easier to build while only making it 10% less cool looking, which is a trade-off I would have made. Both the Corpse Candles I painted a couple of weeks ago, and Wrath of the 7 deadly sins have a similar "haunted by spirits" motif while being much less punishing builds. Really nice figure, just not sure it justifies how fiddly it is to get there!

Flipswitch
Mar 30, 2010

Goddamn, these Bunraku are some of the most nightmarish models I've ever had to put together.

Pierzak
Oct 30, 2010

Flipswitch posted:

Goddamn, these Bunraku are some of the most nightmarish models I've ever had to put together.
Poast your mat you lazy gently caress.

Flipswitch
Mar 30, 2010

Lol i literally walked downstairs after I posted because I remembered it, here it is:

Colours are a bit washed out due to my living room lighting, but there she is.

SiKboy
Oct 28, 2007

Oh no!😱

X-post from the mini painting thread again.

SiKboy posted:

Lucas McCabe, Relic Hunter

Lucas McCabe, Dismounted Hunter. (AKA the same dude, but if you kill his horse) I can tell you now that whip overhanging the base is a MASSIVE PAIN as every time you move anything near it it catches and knocks the figure over. Other figures, paintbrushes, sleeves, anything. Transporting it would be an adventure, and when it was on the table moving guys near him would be super annoying.

Luna, a Good Dog. I went for a lost desert city type vibe on the bases, and Luna is unearthing a skull from the sand, but you cant see it well from this angle.

Sidir Alchibal. My favourite of the set I think. This (aside from the metals) are where the "almost" in almost entirely contrast paints comes in; Apocathary White was fine for the shirts of the other figures, but really struggled on his robe, so I touched it up with some regular paint. Then tried some weathering powder on the bottom of it, which worked great on the robe, but less well on the bases (looked AMAZING when I applied it, but varnishing blew most of it off, or darkened it right down/turned it a bit sludgy. Will continue to experiment with it).

The Ruffians. I had to fight the impulse to just paint the one in the top hat as The Hitcher from The Mighty Boosh but the bright green skin would have looked out of place.

And the whole crew:

Really enjoyed painting these guys, and as I mentioned before they were actually really easy to put together too.

Signal
Dec 10, 2005

SiKboy posted:

I can tell you now that whip overhanging the base is a MASSIVE PAIN as every time you move anything near it it catches and knocks the figure over. Other figures, paintbrushes, sleeves, anything. Transporting it would be an adventure, and when it was on the table moving guys near him would be super annoying.

This is one of the things that has really driven me away from Wyrd. Every model overhangs its damned base, and there's no consideration for playability or storage. The iron skeeters come to mine, where from some angles it's literally impossible for models to get close to them. Others, like the nightmare beast, overhang the base in nearly every dimension.

SiKboy
Oct 28, 2007

Oh no!😱

Signal posted:

This is one of the things that has really driven me away from Wyrd. Every model overhangs its damned base, and there's no consideration for playability or storage. The iron skeeters come to mine, where from some angles it's literally impossible for models to get close to them. Others, like the nightmare beast, overhang the base in nearly every dimension.

The iron skeeters remain the worst tbh. My wyrd model bugbears are overhanging bases* (iron skeeters, the whip on McCabe, 2E metal nekima), thin connection points (wind gamin, pale rider, iron skeeters) wee thin fragile pieces (Waldgeist, iron skeeters), and bad build instructions (Goryo, Iron Skeeters, Hannah Lovelace). Iron skeeters hit every category. At least the game doesnt have rules for model facing like some games, so you can at least rotate the figures to face whatever way lets you fit stuff! McCabe feels like a missed opportunity; In 3E he cant even use the whip on foot, dismounted mccabe can only attack with his sword or pistol, but obviously they havent reworked the figure like they did with say Lucius. But so help me even with all the irritations I still really dig the malifaux aesthetic and keep buying the figures anyway...

*I also dont like it when models stand on the rim rather than in the cup of the malifaux bases, but its my own personal aesthetic irritation. Stuff like Pride and Envy of the Crossroads Seven Its an irrational irritation, as I'm not worried on them catching on things, and it doesnt make it difficult to put figures next to them.

Electric Hobo
Oct 22, 2008

Grimey Drawer
You guys should build the Malisaurus Rex. It ridiculous, and completely impractical to move around on the table.

SiKboy
Oct 28, 2007

Oh no!😱

Electric Hobo posted:

You guys should build the Malisaurus Rex. It ridiculous, and completely impractical to move around on the table.

I'm not even going to pretend that I'm not thinking of it tbh. Like for a while I was going "I have too much malifaux stuff, but I've decided that at least I'm not going to get any arcanists or ten thunders, that keeps it from getting silly". Then i picked up a job lot that had Rasputina in it, and I do like the Collette gimmick of "real magic pretending to be stage magic", so okay, maybe some arcanists, but no ten thunders, and no explorers society (which was just starting to be previewed). You'll note that my most recent painted crew is a McCabe set, which gives you some idea how that resolution has turned out.... But so far I dont have any explorers only masters at least!

So tl:dr there is a decent chance I'll buy the drat dinosaur eventually. It looks ludicrous in a fun way. Then I'll probably complain about it! Although in fairness, most of the 3E stuff I've built has been comparitively okay, its mainly 2E sculpts which have terrible instructions and fiddly fragile bits...

Flipswitch
Mar 30, 2010

Me and a buddy had a game with it and it's a comical model.

Ugleb
Nov 19, 2014

ASK ME ABOUT HOW SCOTLAND'S PROPOSED TRANS LEGISLATION IS DIVISIVE AS HELL BECAUSE IT IS SO SWEEPING THAT IT COULD BE POTENTIALLY ABUSED AT A TIME WHERE THE LACK OF SAFETY FOR WOMEN HAS BEEN SO GLARING
'Rex looks like a fantastic painting project though! The work some people have done with it is gorgeous.

Aesthetically it just the right side of ridiculous for me, I haven't seen one on the table but I can well imagine it is an awkward beast.

Pyrolocutus
Feb 5, 2005
Shape of Flame

Cooper box, On The Hunt box, and Basse box. Still trying to get used to my new lightbox.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SiKboy
Oct 28, 2007

Oh no!😱

Pyrolocutus posted:

Cooper box, On The Hunt box, and Basse box. Still trying to get used to my new lightbox.

Nice! I've got a Basse box coming from ebay in the near future (because I have pretty much zero self control. But! Still technically no Explorers Society-only masters, so thats something! Although literally all of them seem kind of interesting...) How were they to build?

I got a cheap collapsable lightbox off amazon about a year or so ago, but I gave up using it, because I couldnt seem to get the knack of taking a decent picture with it. Whatever I did I'd have to end up adjusting the levels, in the end I just stopped using it because I figured if I was going to have to adjust the white balance anyway, might as well just use a bit of paper as a backdrop and not bother with the lightbox at all. Plus the texture of the fabric backdrops that came with mine were super obvious no matter what I did.