Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Roblox is worth 42 billion. Gaming is big business.

Microsoft please buy someone who makes DRPGs

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo
Yes Microsoft, please spend $10 billion dollars and save me $5 a month. The consumer just keeps on winning.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

American McGay posted:

Yes Microsoft, please spend $10 billion dollars and save me $5 a month. The consumer just keeps on winning.

:same:

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

Looking forward to everyone moving over to the next big chat app once Discord takes a poo poo and then start the cycle over again when Microsoft buys that one.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Detective No. 27 posted:

Looking forward to everyone moving over to the next big chat app once Discord takes a poo poo and then start the cycle over again when Microsoft buys that one.

Everyone back on IRC.

Laserface
Dec 24, 2004

American McGay posted:

Can I have a $5/mo option to have discord excluded from my xbox account?

I fuckin hate it.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Oh we're all going back to Xfire?

ZeeBoi
Jan 17, 2001

irpoweroutlet posted:

MS might be buying Discord?

https://twitter.com/business/status/1374183042600820743?s=21

Probably more for corporate MS, but maybe they’d integrate it into the Xbox Live network

Will Teams be rolled into Discord or the other way round?

hanyolo
Jul 18, 2013
I am an employee of the Microsoft Gaming Division and they pay me to defend the Xbox One on the Something Awful Forums
Isn't Discord the 2021 equivalent of Xbox Live back in the 2000's wrt racism/sexism/homophobia, maybe they'll rename discord to Xbox Live...

Would be cool to have the current xbox LFG/LFM functionality integrated into the bigger discord servers. I'll take free Nitro too, not being able to use animated SA smilies is my biggest regret moving away from Slack

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

Silver lining is that the rumored big new acquisition isn't Sega.

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus

hanyolo posted:

Isn't Discord the 2021 equivalent of Xbox Live back in the 2000's wrt racism/sexism/homophobia, maybe they'll rename discord to Xbox Live...

Would be cool to have the current xbox LFG/LFM functionality integrated into the bigger discord servers. I'll take free Nitro too, not being able to use animated SA smilies is my biggest regret moving away from Slack

Discord itself is just a platform. I'm in several goon discords for various online games and the server quality is generally correlated with how little server admins are willing to put up with bullshit.

Laserface
Dec 24, 2004

I love joining a discord and then having a channel for every possible genre of discussion so that all you end up with is 500 ways to say 1 specific type of info to 4 terminally online people who arent reading the channel you're in

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Detective No. 27 posted:

Silver lining is that the rumored big new acquisition isn't Sega.

Wrong because Phantasy Star is a DRPG and thus they could make more of them. I want them microsoft!

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Laserface posted:

I love joining a discord and then having a channel for every possible genre of discussion so that all you end up with is 500 ways to say 1 specific type of info to 4 terminally online people who arent reading the channel you're in

This for real.

UnfortunateSexFart
May 18, 2008

𒃻 𒌓ð’‰𒋫 𒆷ð’€𒅅𒆷
𒆠𒂖 𒌉 𒌫 ð’®𒈠𒈾𒅗 𒂉 𒉡𒌒𒂉𒊑

I'm too old to even understand the point of discord.

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo

UnfortunateSexFart posted:

It's a happy medium between chat rooms and forums.

Lammasu
May 8, 2019

lawful Good Monster
You guys use Nitro? Why? I got offered like 3 free months though GPU and it didn't seems worth it.

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus

Lammasu posted:

You guys use Nitro? Why? I got offered like 3 free months though GPU and it didn't seems worth it.

I use nitro to spam the animated catjam emoji at posts I like, tbh

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo
Yeah I keep it for the unlimited cross-server emotes. The increased upload size is also handy sometimes. It's Classic though, I definitely wouldn't pay :10bux: for that stuff.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius

hanyolo posted:

No? If you're in a server that's full of those things, you can just leave it. You're not forced to interact with anyone you don't want to on discord. Except for random DMs I guess, but you can block them.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

Barudak posted:

Wrong because Phantasy Star is a DRPG and thus they could make more of them. I want them microsoft!

Super short sighted. Microsoft would be bad for Sega.

Escape Goat
Jan 30, 2009

Paying for online discussion forums? Good night!

boz
Oct 16, 2005

UnfortunateSexFart posted:

I've got a group of 4 friends and we all live in different places and play games together and we use it constantly as a chat room thing.

Laserface
Dec 24, 2004

boz posted:

I've got a group of 4 friends and we all live in different places and play games together and we use it constantly as a chat room thing.

its literally exactly the same as any other group chat enabled service - whatsapp, imessage, facebook, IRC, slack but with added bullshit for reddit-types.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Discord is messaging for capital G Gamers.

boz
Oct 16, 2005

Laserface posted:

its literally exactly the same as any other group chat enabled service - whatsapp, imessage, facebook, IRC, slack but with added bullshit for reddit-types.

The bots are fun

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

MarcusSA posted:

God drat 10 billion???

Roll that poo poo into GPU please

3 years ago there was no company valued above $1 Trillion ever

Microsoft is currenly at $1.8 Trillion

Ruffian Price
Sep 17, 2016

so, uh, no use hoping for PSN integration anymore then

bushisms.txt
May 26, 2004

Scroll, then. There are other posts than these.

The reports say they're more likely to go public, so I wouldn't sweat it too much.

Unless MS can convince them it's better to be under them than unfiltered money. Though if it keeps what happened to imgur from happening to discord, I'd be fine with the sale.

John F Bennett
Jan 30, 2013

I always wear my wedding ring. It's my trademark.

bushisms.txt posted:

The reports say they're more likely to go public, so I wouldn't sweat it too much.

Unless MS can convince them it's better to be under them than unfiltered money. Though if it keeps what happened to imgur from happening to discord, I'd be fine with the sale.

What happened to imgur?

Skeezy
Jul 3, 2007

John F Bennett posted:

What happened to imgur?

It’s more of a social network kind of thing now.

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe

Skeezy posted:

It’s more of a social network kind of thing now.

and ads ads ads ads ads!

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo
Imgur rules because I never have to interact with it at all. Just find an extension that allows you to drag and drop and auto upload stuff.

otter
Jul 23, 2007

Ask me about my XCOM and controller collection

word.

I tried Discord once, and I don't know if it was just a super bad forum or what, but it was nearly impossible to get straight info and the organization felt like rear end.
That being said, I have to use Teams at work and it's clunky, impossible to get straight info and the organization feels like rear end.
I agree with the comment about feeling too old for Discord. Not even 'get off my lawn'ing about bbs or anything, it just didn't feel like it brought anything valuable in terms of function or even organization to the table.

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

otter posted:

I tried Discord once, and I don't know if it was just a super bad forum or what, but it was nearly impossible to get straight info and the organization felt like rear end.
That being said, I have to use Teams at work and it's clunky, impossible to get straight info and the organization feels like rear end.
I agree with the comment about feeling too old for Discord. Not even 'get off my lawn'ing about bbs or anything, it just didn't feel like it brought anything valuable in terms of function or even organization to the table.

Discord is for live conversation the only old stuff worth the time to read are what are called pinned posts that the admin saves usually with rules etc

John F Bennett
Jan 30, 2013

I always wear my wedding ring. It's my trademark.

Discord is really just a chat server but one where you can create channels for topics. If you're old enough to have used IRC it's like that, but more advanced.

Also, great for voice chat if you're into that and live streaming stuff.

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo
Yeah it's really just modern IRC with much more robust organization and formatting. If you've got a friend group that you like to chat with a lot it works great. For huge communities it's probably a big mess though.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

American McGay posted:

Imgur rules because I never have to interact with it at all. Just find an extension that allows you to drag and drop and auto upload stuff.

Yeah which is fine for now but I fully expect them to close that eventually.

ultrachrist
Sep 27, 2008
I have to use Teams for work and it's actually OK now. Or maybe I was just traumatized by what it was before and anything seems like a big improvement.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe
Our work actually uses Discord b/c it's free.

It's totally fine. Some annoyances when used organizationally (like having to friend people in your org already just to DM them) but most are minor.