Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

sourdough
Apr 30, 2012

SkyeAuroline posted:

My run of phones has been pretty bad on account of the whole "unaffordably expensive" thing, but I quite liked my G3. It was fine at the time and held up pretty well.
Current phone is a piece of poo poo I need to get around to replacing but don't hate myself enough to drop near a grand doing so.

You’re in luck, pixel 4a is cheap and good

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

bull3964 posted:

Oneplus is about the only other Android manufacturer that supports their stuff beyond a year aside from some Nokia stuff which has been hit or miss.

That said I'm still waiting for the Android 11 update my 7T was supposed to get in December :argh:

SkyeAuroline
Nov 12, 2020

CLAM DOWN posted:

Yeah that's such a weird claim to make considering how good the Pixels have been overall.

I've been a user of plenty of Google services that were "promised" to be running for years and then were shut down in the past decade. The whole "fool me once, etc" comes into play at some point. So far Pixels have been well-supported, doing great - well, that's the same thing we said about the Nexus line, Play Music, G+, the impending Hangouts... You get the idea. None exactly short-runners. Eventually you get burned enough times you don't roll the dice again. I passed that "eventually" with Google a long time ago.
Just my stance, not gospel everyone has to agree with.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

4a $349
4a 5g $499 (unless you are Verizon, then $599)
A52 is coming out soon, likely to be $500ish and looks to be pretty decent
Pixel 5 is $699
S21 is $799

Plenty of good, well supported options under $1k. All with OLED screens, all but 1 with 5g.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

SkyeAuroline posted:

I've been a user of plenty of Google services that were "promised" to be running for years and then were shut down in the past decade. The whole "fool me once, etc" comes into play at some point. So far Pixels have been well-supported, doing great - well, that's the same thing we said about the Nexus line, Play Music, G+, the impending Hangouts... You get the idea. None exactly short-runners. Eventually you get burned enough times you don't roll the dice again. I passed that "eventually" with Google a long time ago.

The Nexus line was supported well too, just because it was renamed Pixel doesn't mean it was short changed.

Google's hardware division has been very good about support and it's a feature that's being sold with the device so they can't exactly back out of it without inviting a lawsuit.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

repiv posted:

That said I'm still waiting for the Android 11 update my 7T was supposed to get in December :argh:

Good News Everyone!

https://www.xda-developers.com/oneplus-7-7-pro-7t-7t-pro-stable-oxygenos-11-android-11/

sourdough
Apr 30, 2012

SkyeAuroline posted:

Well apparently the Nexus 6p and 5x both got 3 years of updates, Play music became YT Music (which sucks) but you got grandfathered into the same price for it, G+ lol, and Hangouts is technically dying but everyone is getting migrated to a functionally identical thing

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

SkyeAuroline posted:

Nexus phones still got the years of support. Software =\= hardware, your point is moot.

Deathlove
Feb 20, 2003

Pillbug

bull3964 posted:

4a $349
4a 5g $499 (unless you are Verizon, then $599)
A52 is coming out soon, likely to be $500ish and looks to be pretty decent
Pixel 5 is $699
S21 is $799

Plenty of good, well supported options under $1k. All with OLED screens, all but 1 with 5g.

<removed link, thought that was official Google stuff>

My 3 is ticking along just fine, the battery life is starting to be rear end but some weekend I'll drop it off at a ubreakifix and get a fresh new battery for $80 or whatever instead of breaking the bank. Google Phones have been Fine for me.

Endymion FRS MK1
Oct 29, 2011

I don't know what this thing is, and I don't care. I'm just tired of seeing your stupid newbie av from 2011.

That cool, too bad OP had already lost me because it's taken literally until after you can mess with Android 12 to get 11 on a one year old phone

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

See, this is why you do OnePlus in the Spring and Pixel in the fall!

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

neat

Apparently they gave up on AOD though, it was there in the beta but gone in the stable build

seravid
Apr 21, 2010

Let me tell you of the world I used to know

repiv posted:

neat

Apparently they gave up on AOD though, it was there in the beta but gone in the stable build

It's a huge drain, months of beta testing and it still cuts my battery life in half. The 7T Pro was my first OnePlus phone and it'll be the last.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

No perceptible change in battery life on my OP8P.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

No idea why my post got doubled.

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal
How many times do I have to tell Google I don't want to enable chat features for SMS?

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gummy Bear Heaven ... It's where I go when the world is too mean.

Charles posted:

How many times do I have to tell Google I don't want to enable chat features for SMS?

Twice so far for me!

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

Charles posted:

That's RCS. Why not?

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gummy Bear Heaven ... It's where I go when the world is too mean.

CLAM DOWN posted:

That's RCS. Why not?

Oh, I assumed they were talking about chat heads, which I find annoying and duplicating which I already do with notifications.

Khablam
Mar 29, 2012

PSA: Google have googled most of their services - https://9to5google.com/2021/03/22/android-apps-crashing-webview/

quote:

A large number of Android users over the past few hours have been encountering continuous app shutdowns, with some finding that uninstalling Android System WebView will stop the crashing.

This issue starts with Android throwing up prompts that warn how apps “keep closing.” Applications that are in the background and not currently open are also affected.

If this bug is impacting your device, all Android apps that use the WebView system component, which works to show web content and is updated alongside Chrome every few weeks, will keep crashing. This includes Gmail — which many users are seeing broken right now, various Google services, and many other third-party applications.

The immediate solution to this problem involves finding the Play Store listing for Android System WebView either by visiting this link directly, or going to the “My apps & games” page, swiping left to the “Installed” tab, and scrolling down — it should be one of the first apps. After that, tap “Uninstall” and confirm on the prompt that appears.

deadwing
Mar 5, 2007

and if your phone already shows webview as disabled and/or doesn't have any updates to webview to uninstall, you've gotta completely disable Chrome, lol

codo27
Apr 21, 2008

Haha gf is on the phone with her (awful, wretched loving) mother (who only calls when she needs something) about her apps crashing repeatedly. I just happened to come on here and see this

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal

CLAM DOWN posted:

That's RCS. Why not?

Need to be able to receive SMS when I don't have any data

BabyRyoga
May 21, 2001

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

Fix doesn't work for me. There is no option to uninstall webview

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

Charles posted:

You can. It doesn't disable SMS. It enables RCS. SMS is still there....

UnfortunateSexFart
May 18, 2008

𒃻 𒌓ð’‰𒋫 𒆷ð’€𒅅𒆷
𒆠𒂖 𒌉 𒌫 ð’®𒈠𒈾𒅗 𒂉 𒉡𒌒𒂉𒊑

bull3964 posted:

See, this is why you do OnePlus in the Spring and Pixel in the fall!

No OnePlus in my country so distinguished gentlemen must do S line in the fall (or summer this year) and Pixel in spring.

But will probably skip Pixel again unless it's an XL non-mid-range as the s21 ultra is near perfect.

Asus rog phone is getting more appealing though... Just gotta fix that camera.

Papercut
Aug 24, 2005

BabyRyoga posted:

Same, my phone doesn't list it as installed anywhere :/

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

I'm a terrible forums poster with terrible opinions.

Here's a cat fucking a squid.

SkyeAuroline posted:

My run of phones has been pretty bad on account of the whole "unaffordably expensive" thing, but I quite liked my G3. It was fine at the time and held up pretty well.

As someone who had the misfortune of owning a G3 for a time this post is the craziest thing I've ever read in this thread.

Of all the phone I've owned the G3 was hand down the worst, it overheated, suffered from distorted audio, had horrible software oversharpening that couldn't be turned off and an incredibly power hungry screen. It also somehow got worse with every software update. I know 2014 was pretty rough for Android in general but even by those standards the G3 was an exceptionally bad phone.

SkyeAuroline
Nov 12, 2020

dissss posted:

As someone who had the misfortune of owning a G3 for a time this post is the craziest thing I've ever read in this thread.

Of all the phone I've owned the G3 was hand down the worst, it overheated, suffered from distorted audio, had horrible software oversharpening that couldn't be turned off and an incredibly power hungry screen. It also somehow got worse with every software update. I know 2014 was pretty rough for Android in general but even by those standards the G3 was an exceptionally bad phone.

It's worth keeping in mind I've been on Huawei hardware since my G3 died. Believe me, there's plenty of "down" to go from there. G3 at least worked for what I used it for.
Best I ever had was probably the... Was it the RAZR MAXX that had a physical keyboard? Whatever Motorola it was from then. For the time, best I had, and I still miss physical keyboards for fine motor control reasons.

Vasler
Feb 17, 2004
Greetings Earthling! Do you have any Zoom Boots?

BabyRyoga posted:

I had the same problem. Go to the play store, look up webview and uninstall all the updates.

I thought my phone was dying before I found this out, thanks google.

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

I'm a terrible forums poster with terrible opinions.

Here's a cat fucking a squid.

SkyeAuroline posted:

It's worth keeping in mind I've been on Huawei hardware since my G3 died. Believe me, there's plenty of "down" to go from there. G3 at least worked for what I used it for.

I've had Huawei phones too and none of them were anywhere near as bad as that LG abomination.

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

Charles posted:

It automatically falls back to SMS if RCS doesn't connect within so many seconds.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

Wow, Onepuls is using the Sony IMX766 sensor that’s 1/1.56” for the ultrawide. That's a huge sensor for an ultrawide and will also really help out macro photos.

FistEnergy
Nov 3, 2000

DAY CREW: WORKING HARD

Fun Shoe

bull3964 posted:

Wow, Onepuls is using the Sony IMX766 sensor that’s 1/1.56” for the ultrawide. That's a huge sensor for an ultrawide and will also really help out macro photos.

Great! When's the reveal and the end of the review embargo?

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

FistEnergy posted:

Great! When's the reveal and the end of the review embargo?

Reveal was at 10am. There are several videos up now (don't know if they are full reviews or impressions, I haven't had a chance to watch yet.)

Prices are.

OnePlus 9 Pro (12GB RAM + 256GB storage): $1069
OnePlus 9 Pro (8GB RAM + 128GB storage): $969
OnePlus 9 (12GB RAM + 256GB storage): $828
OnePlus 9 (8GB RAM + 128GB storage): $729

What's interesting is the OP9 has the same ultrawide sensor, but a smaller main sensor. So, it seems like the OP9 is going to have better ultrawide photos than main photos. No telephoto on the OP9, same as in the past.

This year the OP9 does include wireless charging (though only 15w compared to the Pro's 50w). It's also a composite (plastic) frame and no official IP rating. Still has the 65w wired charging.

I would say that the OP9 is the better non-pro package they've put together in awhile. The enhanced ultrawide is an interesting choice, but at least it's not completely downgraded on cameras.

Preorders on the 26th (kinda annoying it's not today). Launch is April 2nd and it looks like they have a TON more retail partners in the US including Best Buy. (though, it looks like you can order the top spec OP9P now and ships within two days.)

Really kinda annoyed that the US isn't getting the special sandstone like black finish.

bull3964 fucked around with this message at 16:44 on Mar 23, 2021

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe

Phy posted:

Wasn't sure where else to ask this:

I've got a dead Nokia 7.1 I need to get photos off of.

By "dead" I mean that the USB 3.0 charge port failed, so that the phone lost the ability to recharge. I took it to a local phone repair service and they were unable to get it working again, they are not entirely sure why. Apparently they replaced the port a few times and got it charging again, but the phone wouldn't turn on, so it's possible they bricked it. They didn't charge me anything, so I'm not going to pursue that any further.

Which leaves me with: On the phone's main memory, there were about a year and a half worth of photos that I seem to have forgotten to back up. For all I know, they're still in there, but I can't get to them. Is there any service y'all could recommend that I could send the phone to, and have them take a look at it? I understand it's probably going to be expensive, I'd be willing to go so far as to buy a donor phone off ebay and have the memory transplanted (if that's a thing that could even work.)

e: I'm not in a hurry, I've got a working phone now that has better specs than the Nokia and cost less.

Reposting this, but TLDR: is there any way to get data off a (possibly) bricked phone with a non-working charge port and screen?

FistEnergy
Nov 3, 2000

Fun Shoe

bull3964 posted:

Reveal was at 10am. There are several videos up now (don't know if they are full reviews or impressions, I haven't had a chance to watch yet.)

Prices are.

OnePlus 9 Pro (12GB RAM + 256GB storage): $1069
OnePlus 9 Pro (8GB RAM + 128GB storage): $969
OnePlus 9 (12GB RAM + 256GB storage): $828
OnePlus 9 (8GB RAM + 128GB storage): $729

What's interesting is the OP9 has the same ultrawide sensor, but a smaller main sensor. So, it seems like the OP9 is going to have better ultrawide photos than main photos. No telephoto on the OP9, same as in the past.

This year the OP9 does include wireless charging (though only 15w compared to the Pro's 50w). It's also a composite (plastic) frame and no official IP rating. Still has the 65w wired charging.

I would say that the OP9 is the better non-pro package they've put together in awhile. The enhanced ultrawide is an interesting choice, but at least it's not completely downgraded on cameras.

Preorders on the 26th (kinda annoying it's not today). Launch is April 2nd and it looks like they have a TON more retail partners in the US including Best Buy. (though, it looks like you can order the top spec OP9P now and ships within two days.)

Really kinda annoyed that the US isn't getting the special sandstone like black finish.

Neat, thanks. Wireless on the OP9 is nice. That would have been a stupid omission. I'll probably get a 9P if the reviews are good - I'd like to have a top-tier camera again.

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.
T-Mobile is offering $360 in trade-in value for Pixel 3a as a promo towards the OP9, so I'm probably going to do that.

Any Oneplus gotchas for somebody who has been riding the Pixel train for years?

FistEnergy
Nov 3, 2000

Fun Shoe

Twerk from Home posted:

T-Mobile is offering $360 in trade-in value for Pixel 3a as a promo towards the OP9, so I'm probably going to do that.

Any Oneplus gotchas for somebody who has been riding the Pixel train for years?

Oh man, that's awesome. My wife's old 3a is sitting in a drawer somewhere around here. Does that apply to the 9P as well?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FistEnergy
Nov 3, 2000

Fun Shoe
https://www.androidcentral.com/oneplus-9-review

https://www.androidcentral.com/oneplus-9-pro-review

https://arstechnica.com/gadgets/2021/03/oneplus-9-pro-review-keeping-the-slightest-lead-in-front-of-samsung/

https://www.engadget.com/oneplus-9-pro-review-hasselblad-cameras-price-performance-150053710.html

https://m.gsmarena.com/oneplus_9_pro-review-2241.php

Ok now I'm pretty :stoked: