Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Randy Travesty

PHANTOM QUEEN

I need white tea opinions. My mom asked me and I'm like "lol it's fine"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Heath

🍂🎃🏞️💦
Short delicate steeps for white teas, imo

Randy Travesty

PHANTOM QUEEN

That's how I do it, at a low temperature. Sure was asking what varietals to look for, though, and... I'm not so good at white teas. I sent her the link to Upton's white teas and Tao of Tea and told her to pick a few and I would order them for her.

Escape From Noise

Teddy Thunders posted:

That's how I do it, at a low temperature. Sure was asking what varietals to look for, though, and... I'm not so good at white teas. I sent her the link to Upton's white teas and Tao of Tea and told her to pick a few and I would order them for her.

I remember Tao of Tea's silver needles being good

aldantefax

ALWAYS BE MECHFISHIN'

Teddy Thunders posted:

I need white tea opinions. My mom asked me and I'm like "lol it's fine"

Starting w/ something like this is a solid start. Bai Hao Yin Zhen, most commonly in English "Silver Needle" tea, is one of the classic teas to try: https://www.harney.com/products/bai-hao-yin-zhen

As mentioned, 'short delicate steeps' generally can go for lower temperature, 60sec or less, and drain off to avoid too-bitterness. Gentle agitation and lots of room to expand tend to help in my experience (something that a gaiwan or similar takes care of nicely). There are other white teas out there like Shou Mei, which is like "Eyelashes" tea or similar owing to the shape of the leaves looking like closed eyes.

White tea tends to be light and delicate on the flavor which pairs well with jasmine petals for scenting. You'll find them mostly hand-processed in pearl or rolled format. I happen to like jasmine white tea pearls: https://aromateashop.com/index.php?route=product/product&path=10&product_id=246

Randy Travesty

PHANTOM QUEEN

aldantefax posted:

Starting w/ something like this is a solid start. Bai Hao Yin Zhen, most commonly in English "Silver Needle" tea, is one of the classic teas to try: https://www.harney.com/products/bai-hao-yin-zhen

As mentioned, 'short delicate steeps' generally can go for lower temperature, 60sec or less, and drain off to avoid too-bitterness. Gentle agitation and lots of room to expand tend to help in my experience (something that a gaiwan or similar takes care of nicely). There are other white teas out there like Shou Mei, which is like "Eyelashes" tea or similar owing to the shape of the leaves looking like closed eyes.

White tea tends to be light and delicate on the flavor which pairs well with jasmine petals for scenting. You'll find them mostly hand-processed in pearl or rolled format. I happen to like jasmine white tea pearls: https://aromateashop.com/index.php?route=product/product&path=10&product_id=246

THANK YOU. I know gently caress all about white tea, so this is a great start for me to guide mom. I appreciate y'all.

I'm gonna get her some nice stuff, and then also load up on more fermented teas because I'm in need*

*I am not and I do not have a problem

Randy Travesty

PHANTOM QUEEN

Also I just bought a giant bag of Irish breakfast tea and I will not be shamed for my ways, it makes good office tea because I can't get mad about other people drinking it since it's cheap

JNCO BILOBA

Thread just made me buy silver needle after just getting my gigantic puer tea order. Life is great. Hi five.

Amp

:11tea::bubblewoop::agesilaus::megaman::yoshi::squawk::supaburn::iit::spooky::axe::honked::shroom::smugdog::sg::pkmnwhy::parrot::screamy::tubular::corsair::sanix::yeeclaw::hayter::flip::redflag:
crossing the streams a bit drinking some "iced tea" "flavored" "hard seltzer" and it is terrible, just awful

Escape From Noise

I'm having bancha this morning. I am going to go buy tea at the Chinese tea shop one day. No. Really!

JNCO BILOBA

I am a full convert to moonlight white

Vivian Darkbloom

I got a big thing of iced tea bags and they're obviously pretty cheap tea, but iced tea is better for me than soda. Also drinking a lot of rooibos if that's allowed in here.

Escape From Noise

Vivian Darkbloom posted:

I got a big thing of iced tea bags and they're obviously pretty cheap tea, but iced tea is better for me than soda. Also drinking a lot of rooibos if that's allowed in here.

Absolutely.. I've been drinking a lot of rooibos and honeybush in the evening

Escape From Noise

Having some puerh with chrysanthemum.

JNCO BILOBA

SweetWillyRollbar posted:

Having some puerh with chrysanthemum.

oh man how is it

Escape From Noise

amechanicalapple posted:

oh man how is it

It was nice. The dried chrysanthemum was separate, but recommended by the woman at the tea shop

Dip Viscous

i made a 50/50 mix of earl grey and peppermint and it kind of tastes like toothpaste but in a really good way

Randy Travesty

PHANTOM QUEEN

Dip Viscous posted:

i made a 50/50 mix of earl grey and peppermint and it kind of tastes like toothpaste but in a really good way

I don't feel like that flavor combo is for me but it seems like a thing my dad would like so I'mma suggest it, thank you for the idea!

Randy Travesty

PHANTOM QUEEN

My dad chunks up citron and muddles it with mint and adds hot strong black tea on top so this is almost a shortcut to that

Escape From Noise

Drinking honeybush and listening to Rudimentary Peni

Planet X

GOOD MORNING
I have a few of their albums.

That guys art style was unique.

Escape From Noise

Planet X posted:

I have a few of their albums.

That guys art style was unique.

I wish I had some. I can't find them anywhere. If you know where I can get their albums, Charles Bronson's stuff, and/or anything from Wiseblood (1980's band with J.G. Thirlwell) let me know!

Escape From Noise

Now I'm listening to Iron Lung and drinking green rooibos

Planet X

GOOD MORNING
I'll keep an eye out if I see something in the cool record shop downtown. I got those at Amoeba in Berkeley or SF over a decade ago when I lived out there, but I've since moved back East.

On topic, I'm drinking something called Creamy Caramel from the tea shop downtown. It was an impulse buy and it's fine and slightly sweet, as the name implies.

Escape From Noise

Planet X posted:

I'll keep an eye out if I see something in the cool record shop downtown. I got those at Amoeba in Berkeley or SF over a decade ago when I lived out there, but I've since moved back East.

On topic, I'm drinking something called Creamy Caramel from the tea shop downtown. It was an impulse buy and it's fine and slightly sweet, as the name implies.

Oh! I meant more online! I'm way out in Japan so that could be an issue.

Nice

Bilirubin

The sanctioned action is to CHUG

Tea time!

OMGVBFLOL posted:

if you have the money and the patience, you can Hello Kitty anything

Thank you deep dish peat moss!
Kaiser Schnitzel

Schnitzel mit uns

drinkin tea. it's good!

https://i.imgur.com/R8ctked.mp4
ty Manifisto for this wonderful sig!

Dip Viscous

unspecified white tea with some black licorice :3

JNCO BILOBA

New tea order came, rocking some white2tea hot brandy, white and black tea. Cozy day.

aldantefax

ALWAYS BE MECHFISHIN'
i have discovered a tea place locally that is doing dragon well preorders for 2021 and you know what that means

also they are doing a new membership thing and even though i just found out about them like less than 5 days ago i am thinkin of droppin some coinage on the annual membership then using the teahouse as a spot to chill once or twice a week (unlimited visits and unlimited tea from their menu for unlimited time, and if you bring guests you get discount + member events etc)

they seem legit

Buttchocks

No, I like my hat, thanks.
Got myself some puer that comes in a compressed little puck. Tea is very dark like coffee. looks and tastes like dirt water, but with a pleasant caramel aftertaste.

Kaiser Schnitzel

Schnitzel mit uns

I'm gonna give chamomile tea another shot tonight and I'm gonna try really hard not to hate it

Kaiser Schnitzel

Schnitzel mit uns

This is actually okay since I let it cool enough and didn’t put milk in it I hope it makes me snooze

Vivian Darkbloom

I used all my cheap iced tea bags. I like having a beverage on hand, but it's so bland. Gonna see how jasmine works for iced tea next.

Leraika

Luckily, I *did* save your old avatar. Fucked around and found out indeed.
feeling the urge to make some cold brew tea, any suggestions/tips?

Escape From Noise

I think rooibos makes a nice ice tea

Bilirubin

The sanctioned action is to CHUG

really loving this box of Chinese black tea, which is good since I have 100 of the bags

OMGVBFLOL posted:

if you have the money and the patience, you can Hello Kitty anything

Thank you deep dish peat moss!
Escape From Noise

I need to get more Chinese black tea

aldantefax

ALWAYS BE MECHFISHIN'

Kaiser Schnitzel posted:

I'm gonna give chamomile tea another shot tonight and I'm gonna try really hard not to hate it

Chamomile is just one flower bud to try. You can also try rose hip, osmanthus, jasmine, chamomile again, or a blend of stuff and try it out! good luck, frend

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Escape From Noise

Gonna have some bancha