Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Namtab
Feb 22, 2010

The Colonel posted:

why is dr3's explanation for the tragic pasts of dr2's cast that some guy was randomly making a mind control anime and junko saw the mind control anime and manipulated him to make it an anime that mind controls you to be evil

Because the franchise in general doesn't understand that sometimes explaining things makes them less effective, and half of DR3 anime was the prequel nobody needed.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Namtab
Feb 22, 2010

How does junko and her sister just get away with dropping a grenade out of their car and also a lot of murder, all of the murder.

Aurora
Jan 7, 2008

well i sure am glad i changed my password for nothing

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
i dont even care about the sillier minor stuff i just care that its big explanations basically never have anything to do with what would be interesting for its characters and actively feeds into the parts of dr2's writing that made its big ideas a dud. like several of these things were in fact already problems in dr2 but 3 somehow makes them worse

also it's funny that they retcon kamukura killing 13 people into junko bringing him over to watch 13 people murder each other and then he just kinda kills one by accident

Namtab
Feb 22, 2010

I definitely preferred the future arc

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k

Aurora posted:

well i sure am glad i changed my password for nothing

ah, you too?

I feel the same

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
future arc is dumb as hell too, it's just dumb in a mediocre shounen action way

Stexils
Jun 5, 2008

Namtab posted:

Because the franchise in general doesn't understand that sometimes explaining things makes them less effective, and half of DR3 anime was the prequel nobody needed.

i dunno the big twist in dr1 (years of memory loss) was basically rubbed in the readers face as not being explained and it was still extremely dumb

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

Dumb or not, they essentially went "That's not important for the specific story we want to tell, deal with it" and I respect that conservation of detail that the rest of the franchise lacks.

Stexils
Jun 5, 2008

Waffleman_ posted:

Dumb or not, they essentially went "That's not important for the specific story we want to tell, deal with it" and I respect that conservation of detail.

yeah but it doesn't even make sense given the age of the characters or is foreshadowed as even being something the organization is capable of. as a twist its a big wet fart.

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
it's a lame twist but danganronpa 1 isn't really trying to kickstart a franchise, it's trying to be a goofy weird murder mystery psp game with fun characters, so i don't really care in its context. like it didn't sit me down for six hours of mystery solving that culminate in a character saying "hahaha! you found me out! my secret is that i got the EVIL disease and it made me EVIL! it erased anything good about me and now i am EVIL and want to KILL PEOPLE" in a game where the literal message is that bad people are still capable of redemption and empathy and forging a better path ahead for themselves

danganronpa 2's ideas have more going on thematically but it also constantly pulls its own pants down in ways that undermine those themes, and danganronpa 3 is just kind of extra juvenile and muddled

The Colonel fucked around with this message at 00:50 on Mar 22, 2021

CubeTheory
Mar 26, 2010

Cube Reversal
I've been watching Knights & Magic. It is very bad. Definitely the bottom five of all anime I've watched. I'm like 2/3 the way through and I am torn between quitting/being happy and morbid curiosity.

Julias
Jun 24, 2012

Strum in a harmonizing quartet
I want to cause a revolution

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild

CubeTheory posted:

I've been watching Knights & Magic. It is very bad. Definitely the bottom five of all anime I've watched. I'm like 2/3 the way through and I am torn between quitting/being happy and morbid curiosity.

Eh if you're that far into it, might as well finish it out. Occasionally watching a bad show for perspective on what makes bad shows bad and good shows good can be a learning experience on its own.

Dangerous Person
Apr 4, 2011

Not dead yet
Don't finish the show you do not like watching

CubeTheory
Mar 26, 2010

Cube Reversal
The only satisfying ending I can imagine to Knights and Magic is for everyone to stop fighting, throw their giant robots into a lake, and then the main character off a cliff, he is a literal psychopath.

marumaru
May 20, 2013

Dangerous Person posted:

time on this lovely earth is limited, might as well spend it watching decent anime!

Acerbatus
Jun 26, 2020

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Dangerous Person posted:

The "Happy and morbid curiosity" indicated he liked watching it, even if he didn't like the show.

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

If you're getting something out of a show then go ahead and watch IMO.

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k

CubeTheory posted:

This is gonna sound weird...but I'm glad it at least became outright bad. I watched the first episode and just evaporated into the night. I didn't even remember the series until you brought it up. That it managed to make it to bottom 5 in your list is an achievement for the series in my book.

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
Is that the isekai/reincarnation show where a hardcore Gunpla enthusiast becomes a Newtype-in-all-but-name?

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

Yes

Dangerous Person
Apr 4, 2011

Not dead yet

Acerbatus posted:

The "Happy and morbid curiosity" indicated he liked watching it, even if he didn't like the show.

You misread the post

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

it's the creator of the infamous "ovary-exploding cuteness" post

Dangerous Person
Apr 4, 2011

Not dead yet
The what

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!

Dangerous Person posted:

i'll finish danganronpa 3 because it is allowing me to bond more with my friends

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

Dangerous Person posted:

Watching crappy shows with friends/loved ones while drinking/rehearsing/cooking/baking is so loving fun, though!

Dangerous Person
Apr 4, 2011

Not dead yet
Watching a show with friends because it's fun bad is cool

Namtab
Feb 22, 2010

The Colonel posted:

i'll finish danganronpa 3 because it is allowing me to bond more with my friends

Im glad were bonding.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

Wark Say posted:

Watching crappy shows with friends/loved ones while drinking/rehearsing/cooking/baking is so loving fun, though!

Do you want to hear a secret

You enjoy watching those shows

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

more like wark gay

PringleCreamEgg
Jul 2, 2004

Sleep, rest, do your best.
I just rewatched Devilman: Crybaby. Christ what a downer. It's such a great series, but it's just so depressing. Really wish the last episode was two or three episodes, but that's consistent with the pacing of the original from my understanding.

Justin_Brett
Oct 23, 2012

GAMERDOME put down LOSER
https://twitter.com/EMSTCo2/status/1374259857994383361

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

Waffleman_ posted:

Do you want to hear a secret

You enjoy watching those shows
If I could remember most of those shows/movies, maybe. :mmmhmm:

Stairmaster posted:

more like wark gay
I mean yeah.

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

okay elon

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

But I don't *want* to liberate humanity. I want to put people on Mars!

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
please, do not compare glemy to elon musk. glemy isn't an immature middle aged man acting like a teenager, he is a dumb 18 year old who wants to act like he's growing into a mature hardened military commander but also gets angry whenever people make fun of his crush on a girl he knew for maybe ten minutes

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

https://twitter.com/JAVdottxt/status/1374289389241602053

marumaru
May 20, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Brutal Garcon
Nov 2, 2014

sapce