Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Warbird
May 23, 2012

America's Favorite Dumbass

monkeytennis posted:

3 pack of tankers meeting a doomsday plane (I think?) over the Black Sea.

Yep, E4B is the “poo poo is about to nuke the fan” plane.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

meltie
Nov 9, 2003

Not a sodding fridge.

e.pilot posted:

I flew a plane for fun for the first time in like 4 years last night.

Weird seeing the city like that, I had to pull up google maps to straighten out your view in my head.

Looks like you had a super gorgeous day to go joyriding :)

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"

monkeytennis posted:

3 pack of tankers meeting a doomsday plane (I think?) over the Black Sea.

QID can also be used for RC-135s.

TITAN is also the callsign for the 340th Weapons Squadron that does B-52H training out of Barksdale.

E-4B has a *shitload* of callsigns and you can look some of them up here (it's not a full list): https://henney.com/chm/callsign.htm

BIG HEADLINE fucked around with this message at 01:47 on Mar 22, 2021

PainterofCrap
Oct 17, 2002

hey bebe

e.pilot posted:

I flew a plane for fun for the first time in like 4 years last night.

You picked a fabulous day for it, not to mention the locale. How'd it feel?

0toShifty
Aug 21, 2005
0 to Stiffy?
Today I was in Grand Junction, CO and I saw a Delta 737 landing. I thought this was quite odd, because it’s a small regional airport. I looked it up and saw it was DL907 from Nashville to Salt Lake City, but shows as diverted. It looks like it almost got there, but turned back to land in Grand Junction. Why might this have happened?

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

R.I.P. Inter-OS Sass - b.2000AD d.2003AD

LibCrusher posted:

Did the panel and switch lights get brighter as some auto-brightness response to the flash?

It's probably the phone auto-adjusting the exposure.

Doctor Zaius
Jul 30, 2010

I say.

Nebakenezzer posted:

Always a good idea to do meth on an airplane

Seriously, of all the mind-altering substances to partake of while packed in with a ton of other people with no escape for hours, I know *I* want the one that will make me twitchy and high-strung!

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

~Coxy posted:

It's probably the phone auto-adjusting the exposure.

Why would the phone make everything brighter? If anything, the auto-exposure after a lightning strike should make the image darker.

I think it actually is the panel illumination adjusting to the flash. I'm not familiar with the 787 cockpit of course but the auto-brightness on the glass panels I have used is pretty darn quick to respond.

e.pilot
Nov 20, 2011

sometimes maybe good
sometimes maybe shit

PainterofCrap posted:

You picked a fabulous day for it, not to mention the locale. How'd it feel?

Pretty good, 172s are slow.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

0toShifty posted:

Today I was in Grand Junction, CO and I saw a Delta 737 landing. I thought this was quite odd, because it’s a small regional airport. I looked it up and saw it was DL907 from Nashville to Salt Lake City, but shows as diverted. It looks like it almost got there, but turned back to land in Grand Junction. Why might this have happened?

FlightAware has them departing again 40 minutes later and they diverted in the middle of cruise without any extra maneuvering. No idea, if it was a medical emergency or the like landing direct at SLC would’ve been faster.

http://flightaware.com/live/flight/DAL907/history/20210321/1237Z/KBNA/KGJT
http://flightaware.com/live/flight/DAL907/history/20210321/1630Z/KGJT/KSLC

charliemonster42
Sep 14, 2005

Some serious Type 2 fun happening in that cockpit

Kesper North
Nov 3, 2011

EMERGENCY POWER TO PARTY

charliemonster42 posted:

Some serious Type 2 fun happening in that cockpit

Is it just me or do the displays glitch during the flash?! I can't tell if that's a near miss or a strike. Looks like a near miss.

Lord Stimperor
Jun 13, 2018

I'm a lovable meme.

Stream of consciousness incoming!

So, originally I was thinking about going directly for a PPL. This weekend I'll be having a try out with another flight school that also does LAPL. On the phone, the guy was urging me to consider starting with LAPL instead of PPL. And there are some points in favor of that. First, he explained that I could do the LAPL and then continue my way towards PPL at my own leisure. LAPL planes are cheaper to rent and I don't want more than one passenger at all for a while anyway. And while it's not an international license, it works all across Europe. Finally, once I started looking more closely for smaller airfields and clubs in my area, I found a bunch of light air plane and microlight clubs, so plane availability doesn't seem that big of an issue as I thought. So, I'm thinking, why not? I might have to do another medical and do a little more coursework in order to get a PPL to haul a family around. But transitioning through PPL doesn't sound like bad idea at all. Am I missing anything?

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

LAPL must be a European thing, right?

In the USA, the Light Sport and Recreational pilot's licenses are generally considered not a great deal. Yes, it's a little less training and it's a bit cheaper, but those licenses have some pretty severe restrictions on where and how you can fly. If you're planning on flying regularly after you get your license (and why wouldn't you?) then you should just spend a little more up front and get the full PPL. The main benefit of the "smaller" licenses in the USA is reduced medical requirements, which is great for people who can't pass or are worried about passing the regular medical exam.

In other countries, though, I understand that the smaller licenses are often more open and the basic PPL is more restricted (for instance in Canada I know you need a separate rating to fly at night, while in the USA it's part of the PPL). So it might well be worthwhile going that way. There are definitely some Canadian pilots in here but I don't know about any European ones.

Sagebrush fucked around with this message at 22:44 on Mar 22, 2021

Lord Stimperor
Jun 13, 2018

I'm a lovable meme.

Sagebrush posted:

LAPL must be a European thing, right?

In the USA, the Light Sport and Recreational pilot's licenses are generally considered not a great deal. Yes, it's a little less training and it's a bit cheaper, but those licenses have some pretty severe restrictions on where and how you can fly. If you're planning on flying regularly after you get your license (and why wouldn't you?) then you should just spend a little more up front and get the full PPL. The main benefit of the "smaller" licenses in the USA is reduced medical requirements, which is great for people who can't pass or are worried about passing the regular medical exam.

In other countries, though, I understand that the smaller licenses are often more open and the basic PPL is more restricted (for instance in Canada I know you need a separate rating to fly at night, while in the USA it's part of the PPL). So it might well be worthwhile going that way. There are definitely some Canadian pilots in here but I don't know about any European ones.

Might be that LAPL is primarily European, the license doesn't allow flying outside of EU in in any case. The most severe restrictions compared to PPL seem to be: no IFR, max. weight 2 tons, max. 3 passengers, no instructing. Both PPL and LAPL require a 5h course for a night flying qualification.

So, for VFR flyring with smaller planes like a Cessna 172, Cirrus or Diamond 40, LAPL/PPL doesn't seem to matter. Bigger planes are out of reach and necessity for me anyhow. And if I look at the schools that emphasize LAPL, their little planes are a bunch cheaper to rent and charter.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

So I looked it up because I was curious and here's a decent website with the differences.

http://leicesterairport.com/flight-training/ppl-lapl-comparison/

Since you're unlikely to be trying to fly anything heavier than 2000kg or with more than 3 passengers at this stage, the most relevant differences are that the LAPL has 30 hours of required training vs the PPL's 45, and the medical exam is perhaps less stringent (it's different, anyway). You can get a tailwheel, complex, etc. endorsements but you cannot get a multi-engine or instrument rating unless you do the additional training and checkride to upgrade to a PPL first.

Basically it does seem like it's just a somewhat shorter and cheaper license if your goal is to fly your friends around in a single-engine plane in day VFR. The big question is just whether you can finish in 30 hours, I guess.

e: beaten, but yeah

McDeth
Jan 12, 2005

Kesper North posted:

Is it just me or do the displays glitch during the flash?! I can't tell if that's a near miss or a strike. Looks like a near miss.

Its the phones camera auto-correcting to the super bright flash of the lightening, nothing more.

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal

McDeth posted:

Its the phones camera auto-correcting to the super bright flash of the lightening, nothing more.

It seems to me a bright flash of light would cause the phone to lower the exposure, not increase it. The displays adjusting to the brightness seems more likely.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane
If you're looking into the differences between licenses, look very closely as the skill requirements for each, and see what's missing from the LAPL compared to the PPL. My biggest criticism of the Canadian recreational pilot permit is that a lot of the differences are... things you really ought to know and feel confident about, as any kind of pilot no matter what you want to do. I'm not sure about the LAPL, but I would look very carefully about what the actual differences in training are, not just the number of hours you need, because above all else, you should want to be a safe and competent pilot.

And, within reason, you should be able to do a PPL at the schools that promote the LAPL, in the same cheaper aircraft provided it's not an ultralight or something.

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

https://simpleflying.com/next-generation-widebody-low-emissions/amp/

:what:

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
They didn't even bother to put the landing gear up in their render

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

quote:

The principle of the aircraft is embedded not only in its unusual tri-wing design but also in its construction. Rather than being fabricated from bolted-together panels, the SE200 features a monocoque design, meaning it is molded from one single piece of composite. This, the company says, will reduce fatigue and make the aircraft safer for passengers.

The super-thin wings are no longer doubling up as fuel storage. Instead, fuel is stored in a bladder atop the fuselage. This, the company says, will make the plane capable of floating for long periods in the event of an emergency water landing.

lol at everything in that article.

Their website is even funnier

https://www.seaeronautics.com/

Mach 0.9 with those wings huh.

edit: awww I can't hotlink that. the uri is pretty drat funny though in and of itself though!

hobbesmaster fucked around with this message at 18:10 on Mar 23, 2021

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

I like how their 3D model apparently doesn't have a way to hide the landing gear

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

They figured it out on this page https://www.seaeronautics.com/engineering

Source4Leko
Jul 25, 2007

Dinosaur Gum
I've built that in KSP works better if you make all the wings biplane wings.

Nebakenezzer
Sep 13, 2005

The Mote in God's Eye

Why in the gently caress triplane wings

Lord Stimperor
Jun 13, 2018

I'm a lovable meme.

Don't long range flights require at least two engines for redundancy?

lordofthefishes
Mar 30, 2008

01000111 01010010 01000101 01000101 01010100 01001001 01001110 01000111 01010011 00100000 01000110 01000101 01001100 01001100 01001111 01010111 00100000 01000011 01000001 01001110 01000001 01000100 01001001 01000001 01001110 01010011

Yeah, that's insanity, alright. :catdrugs:

E: They apparently claim a second engine below the exposed one

lordofthefishes fucked around with this message at 18:34 on Mar 23, 2021

marumaru
May 20, 2013

yeah there's no way that's not just a uni student's design project

Serjeant Buzfuz
Dec 5, 2009

Lord Stimperor posted:

Don't long range flights require at least two engines for redundancy?

I mean, only if you're afraid of swimming or something.

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

Five degrees to starboard!

Maybe it can glide for 180 minutes

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

lordofthefishes posted:

E: They apparently claim a second engine below the exposed one

yeah, you can see a scoop duct for it on the side fuselage, which i'm sure is just as efficient as the standard turbofan up above

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"This plane's wacky quirk improves fuel economy. Airports HATE it!"

Betting all the airports that put in special gates for the A380s are gonna be *so* on board with rolling out the red carpet for the next "revolutionary airliner."

Lord Stimperor
Jun 13, 2018

I'm a lovable meme.

marumaru posted:

yeah there's no way that's not just a uni student's design project

Looks like an undergrad project, but the 'about us' page shows a bunch of old geezers. No LinkedIn-profiles or CVs, though. They're also encouraging applications from 'overall business experts' and 'vendors who are the most innovative in their fields'. Nevermind that the images they're showing still have the red squiggly MS word spell check underlining showing. Their address seems to come back to the CEO's residence. I would never ridicule an undergrad for coming up with cranky ideas, but I'm guessing the writer at simpleflying didn't really look too closely at who they were talking to.

Mazz
Dec 12, 2012

Orion, this is Sperglord Actual.
Come on home.
The fuel isn’t stored in the wings, that would be inefficient! Instead, we store it directly over the passenger compartment!

azflyboy
Nov 9, 2005
I assume the vorticies and turbulent air coming off the the front wing are going to wreak havoc on the aft two wings, but they're probably coming up with an app and/or blockchain to solve that issue.

Also, I'm curious as to how exactly they plan on building a single piece composite fuselage, since the largest autoclave in use now is a bit past 100ft long, and the largest single carbon-fiber part in production is an A350 wing component that's about 104ft long.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

BIG HEADLINE posted:

"This plane's wacky quirk improves fuel economy. Airports HATE it!"

Betting all the airports that put in special gates for the A380s are gonna be *so* on board with rolling out the red carpet for the next "revolutionary airliner."

One would assume the triple wing thing would be to reduce overall wing length so it doesn't have the new 777 issue where the wingtips have to retract to fit into "normal" gates.

azflyboy posted:

I assume the vorticies and turbulent air coming off the the front wing are going to wreak havoc on the aft two wings, but they're probably coming up with an app and/or blockchain to solve that issue.

I was expecting some kind of CFD thing to indicate "hey this could work!" on their webpage but nope!

Mazz posted:

The fuel isn’t stored in the wings, that would be inefficient! Instead, we store it directly over the passenger compartment!

They also claim thats safer for ditching! Remind me, what happens when helicopters ditch?

EasilyConfused
Nov 21, 2009

one strong toad
This rules.

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

SE Aeronautics introduces the KSP-200

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg
:colbert:

Yes, another revolutionary aircraft design.

It's looking for funding, will get some small amount and disappear. Like every other truly "revolutionary" design we've heard of since Concorde.

A passenger version of a flying wing is more likely than this of every seeing light of day, and that won't happen either.