Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

feedmyleg posted:

What is happening Army of Darkness is terrific.

Yeah I am v disappointed in the thread this morning.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
Some great stuff on the AoD effects:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A-221dAphRs

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 3 hours!
I still like the ending where Ash oversleeps

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
Definitely the superior ending.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

feedmyleg posted:

Definitely the superior ending.

But unfortunately the one that puts Ash vs Evil Dead outside of canon.

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

You think you can take me at Satan's Hollow? Go 'head on!

Kvlt! posted:

also lmao @ the posers itt who think Army of Darkness is gory its basically a glorified goosebumps episode

This is why AoD rules, and also why it's not as good as Evil Dead 2.

Lumbermouth
Mar 6, 2008

GREG IS BIG NOW

Army of Darkness has more people getting punched by skeletons than any other movie in history. That's what makes it great.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
Every punch involves a skeleton :ssh:

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

Sure, Army of Darkness is the weakest of the Evil Dead trilogy, but it still fuckin rules

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe

Uncle Boogeyman posted:

Sure, Army of Darkness is the weakest of the Evil Dead trilogy, but it still fuckin rules

Yea let's keep in mind that we're talking about a series that won the franchise tournament we did a while back. There's no bad Evil Dead films.

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

Basebf555 posted:

Yea let's keep in mind that we're talking about a series that won the franchise tournament we did a while back. There's no bad Evil Dead films.

Yeah, a horror series where all three original entries are a 9 or a 10 out of 10 and even the remake is pretty decent is hard to beat.

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 3 hours!

Uncle Boogeyman posted:

:hai:

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

If it wasn't for disappointment
I wouldn't have any appointment

Grimey Drawer
Hopefully Shout releases their promised 4k UHD of Army of Darkness in the next few months. They said it'd be after They Live.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."

I know I’ve only seen two of the trilogy. Definitely AoD, but not sure if I watched 1 or 2. But then again it doesn’t really matter because they’re the same film, apparently?

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

The_Doctor posted:

I know I’ve only seen two of the trilogy. Definitely AoD, but not sure if I watched 1 or 2. But then again it doesn’t really matter because they’re the same film, apparently?

No. Evil Dead 2 retells the plot of Evil Dead in the first act and hits a lot of the same beats but its a different story with all kind of different elements. Its also a much more comedic and larger scale film while the first one is more straight horror and extra mean.

And yeah, Army of Darkness is the weakest of the franchise to me (including the remake and the series) and the least of my thing but still always an enjoyable watch when I revisit it.

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

Grimey Drawer

The_Doctor posted:

If Ash didn't have a chainsaw hand, it was the original.

Spatulater bro!
Aug 19, 2003

Punch! Punch! Punch!

The_Doctor posted:

Not even remotely.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe
The main difference between Evil Dead 1 and 2 is that Raimi had 10 million to work with for Evil Dead 2. So you can understand how big a difference that makes when you realize that he had to make the first film with donations from family members.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

I think the only problem with describing it that way is that it does create that false impression that Evil Dead 2 is just a bigger budget remake. But its not. They're distinctly different films that just share the same starting point.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe

STAC Goat posted:

I think the only problem with describing it that way is that it does create that false impression that Evil Dead 2 is just a bigger budget remake. But its not. They're distinctly different films that just share the same starting point.

I dunno, I get the sense that Raimi would've loved to get a lot of the stuff in Evil Dead 2 into the first film but the budget just wasn't there. So Evil Dead 2 was the rare chance to actually revisit a previous project and improve on it with more resources. I think the grittier and more serious tone that the first film has is due in part to the low budget aesthetic and the fact that Raimi couldn't actually pull off some his more outlandish ideas.

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Basebf555 posted:

I dunno, I get the sense that Raimi would've loved to get a lot of the stuff in Evil Dead 2 into the first film but the budget just wasn't there. So Evil Dead 2 was the rare chance to actually revisit a previous project and improve on it with more resources. I think the grittier and more serious tone that the first film has is due in part to the low budget aesthetic and the fact that Raimi couldn't actually pull off some his more outlandish ideas.

From everything I've read, the serious tone was always the intention with the original, as there was more money in the horror and grindhouse market and a horror comedy would have been riskier, as they weren't as common/popular. Rob Tapert especially pushed for the darker stuff, including the tree rape. When they were working on Evil Dead 2 and had the budget and freedom to do whatever they wanted, they intentionally went for the more comedic approach to the story, partially cuz 5 years had passed and their interests had changed, and partially because they didn't want to repeat themselves.

edit: Scott Spiegel is credited as pushing for the more comedic tone in the sequel, drawing back to him and Raimi's history of comedic short films.

Franchescanado fucked around with this message at 18:58 on Mar 23, 2021

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

I don't disagree that Evil Dead 2 is a fuller vision. I'm just saying the first film is more than just the same film done cheaper. They're pretty unique films in their own rights, even if you can clearly see where its a second take on the idea (or 3rd counting Within The Woods).

Origami Dali
Jan 7, 2005

Get ready to fuck!
You fucker's fucker!
You fucker!
I'm not big on Army of Darkness mainly because of goofy stooges nonsense, but I'm also not big on most medieval court/knights and kings poo poo.

dorium
Nov 5, 2009

If it gets in your eyes
Just look into mine
Just look into dreams
and you'll be alright
I'll be alright

Medieval poo poo is WOAT, but Army of Darkness is just dumb enough that its kinda great. It's not horror though, Adventure Comedy is more like it. Like the Goonies, but funnier.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe

Franchescanado posted:

From everything I've read, the serious tone was always the intention with the original, as there was more money in the horror and grindhouse market and a horror comedy would have been riskier, as they weren't as common/popular. Rob Tapert especially pushed for the darker stuff, including the tree rape. When they were working on Evil Dead 2 and had the budget and freedom to do whatever they wanted, they intentionally went for the more comedic approach to the story, partially cuz 5 years had passed and their interests had changed, and partially because they didn't want to repeat themselves.

edit: Scott Spiegel is credited as pushing for the more comedic tone in the sequel, drawing back to him and Raimi's history of comedic short films.

Yea I guess that makes sense, Raimi was basically taking his one shot at being a filmmaker so he wanted to do something that had the highest chance of actually catching audiences attention, and horror/comedy just wasn't it at the time.

Lumbermouth
Mar 6, 2008

GREG IS BIG NOW

If any of y’all haven’t read If Chins Could Kill, it has a really great overview of how specifically the first Evil Dead came to exist. The later career stuff with Campbell I can take or leave, but the first half is all teenagers learning how to make a movie and it’s fantastic.

Drunkboxer
Jun 30, 2007

feedmyleg posted:

What is happening Army of Darkness is terrific.

It’s definitely a purposeful genre shift but yeah it rules.

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Lumbermouth posted:

If any of y’all haven’t read If Chins Could Kill, it has a really great overview of how specifically the first Evil Dead came to exist. The later career stuff with Campbell I can take or leave, but the first half is all teenagers learning how to make a movie and it’s fantastic.

Yeah, I've read it and it's great. Evil Dead is like 1/3 of the book, too. I also recommend The Evil Dead Companion, which goes even more in depth, and has illustrations for the different effects and rigs they used.

King of Bleh
Mar 3, 2007

A kingdom of rats.
The Companion book is great, and I love how many of the effects boil down to some variation of "we didn't have money to fake this part, so instead we just actually beat Bruce over the head with a fireplace poker."

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

Grimey Drawer

King of Bleh posted:

The Companion book is great, and I love how many of the effects boil down to some variation of "we didn't have money to fake this part, so instead we just actually beat Bruce over the head with a fireplace poker."

This, or "duct tape + 2x4"

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

People who rank Evil Dead 1 higher than AOD are crazy to me. Evil Dead is an amazing film when you consider how inexperienced everyone was and how little money they had to work with, but in a vacuum it's just good. Army of Darkness is an all-time classic and one of the most fun films ever made. It's like if Road Warrior was horror, ok for kids, and hilarious.

STAC Goat posted:

I don't disagree that Evil Dead 2 is a fuller vision. I'm just saying the first film is more than just the same film done cheaper. They're pretty unique films in their own rights, even if you can clearly see where its a second take on the idea (or 3rd counting Within The Woods).

Ash is a completely different character in Evil Dead 1 and 2, which means even the parts that are redoes or echoes of 1 have a wildly different tone.

Benito Cereno
Jan 20, 2006

ALLEZ-OUP!
This old tweet of mine resurfaced in my mentions and I thought this thread was probably the right audience for it

https://twitter.com/benito_cereno/status/1051317390322147328

flashy_mcflash
Feb 7, 2011

Kvlt! posted:

A movie can be gory as hell without being a horror movie.

It can be, but it's pretty rare to see a movie with sustained, copious gore that isn't horror. What's the goriest movie that isn't horror? I guess it'd have to be something depicting war or possibly childbirth?

Origami Dali
Jan 7, 2005

Get ready to fuck!
You fucker's fucker!
You fucker!
The first Advil Dead can't really be divorced from how it was made, and that's why I like it the most. It's got that go-getter independent charm that a lot of great horror movies like NOTLD or TCM have. The sequels don't really have that feel.

e: lol leaving that autocorrect

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

flashy_mcflash posted:

It can be, but it's pretty rare to see a movie with sustained, copious gore that isn't horror. What's the goriest movie that isn't horror? I guess it'd have to be something depicting war or possibly childbirth?

Surviving Edged Weapons.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe

flashy_mcflash posted:

Yea it's probably a war movie like Saving Private Ryan. There's also some 80's action movies that are very gory, like Total Recall and Robocop. The Raid films and The Night Comes For Us are also very gory.

Spatulater bro!
Aug 19, 2003

Punch! Punch! Punch!

The John Wick films have a good handful of gory moments. The one that comes to mind is the knife slowly into the eyeball from Chapter 3.

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

Grimey Drawer

flashy_mcflash posted:

Action movies, especially 80s and 90s, but not limited to them. Blade of the Immortal, Starship Troopers, and The Raid all come to mind.

Hell, Birds of Prey was one of the goriest movies from 2020, with bones shooting out of broken legs and people getting their faces cut off.

Drunkboxer
Jun 30, 2007
Dredd is really gory. All that face trauma

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Twin Cinema
Jun 1, 2006

Playoffs are no big deal,
don't have a crap attack.
Army of Darkness was my first ED film. I remember catching it on television late at night when I was young, and getting hooked by goofy and ridiculous it was. It drew me in by how cheap it looked, and then kept my interest for the rest of the film.

When I finally did see ED, which we owned on VHS, I didn't really understand why my dad thought it was so good. My memory is that it was so dark that I couldn't make out much of what was happening on my incredibly small television in my room.

Maybe this is why I still think of AoD more favourable than ED. They are both great films, but I prefer AoD.

Evil Dead II is the best, however. And, in my opinion, better than Aliens if we are ranking all-time sequels.