Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

WoodrowSkillson
Feb 24, 2005

*Gestures at 60 years of Lions history*

pik_d posted:

When does this happen

silver shields and armor. you just block the attack and then whack it

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

Down came the glitches and burned us in ditches and we slept after eating our dead.
That's lame. I can't think of a single game that was ever improved by removing access to its console. If anything, they should be expanding it to let people have more server administration commands and tools.

Hopefully its just a rumor and they aren't actually doing it! (I haven't even used it yet, it's just nice knowing it's there if I decide I need/want it)

pik_d
Feb 24, 2006

follow the white dove

TRP Post of the Month October 2021

Ambaire posted:

Rumor on the discord has it that the dev console (or at least devcommands part) will be removed entirely in a coming update.

I'm not sure how to feel about this.

How long until it gets modded back in somehow

rydiafan
Mar 17, 2009

WoodrowSkillson posted:

silver shields and armor. you just block the attack and then whack it

Yup. Also, they have almost no hitpoints, so if you see them coming just turn to face them, stand your ground, and start swinging. If you time it right they'll fly right into your weapon and die.

Ra Ra Rasputin
Apr 2, 2011
The console should stay in for sure, at the very least until they make a actual creative mode so people can do their mega projects with access to flying and not having to pause to chop down a forest or mountain for materials.

The lack of public servers made the online portion surprisingly cheat and griefer free and those people who feel like the game is being unfair in either how they died or rocks required for stone buildings can just poof the resources into existence.

Woden
May 6, 2006

GlyphGryph posted:

That's lame. I can't think of a single game that was ever improved by removing access to its console. If anything, they should be expanding it to let people have more server administration commands and tools.

Hopefully its just a rumor and they aren't actually doing it! (I haven't even used it yet, it's just nice knowing it's there if I decide I need/want it)

Unfortunately getting rid of the console would be the easiest ways to fix some of the multiplayer exploits, I hope they find a better solution than just nuking it.

Jarmak
Jan 24, 2005

Ambaire posted:

*looks at spawner exploitation in Minecraft*

Or afk farms in Terraria.

Maybe think again about what you just said? Just seems like clever gameplay to me.

Some games make finding creative ways to glitch/exploit the mechanics and jank part of the game, If you think this is that game I'm not sure how we could be playing the same thing. It's intentionally dark and creepy and unforgiving.

The fact they removed it seems pretty clear evidence of that.

Just mod poo poo back in if you want to.

Goons losing their poo poo because the programmer (singular) for a $20 dollar game they've probably played for 50-100 hours isn't putting out enough content yet is hilarious.

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

Down came the glitches and burned us in ditches and we slept after eating our dead.

Woden posted:

Unfortunately getting rid of the console would be the easiest ways to fix some of the multiplayer exploits, I hope they find a better solution than just nuking it.

If this was the cause I feel like they'd just disable it when on other people's worlds? That wouldn't be so bad. Although however the netcode for this game works its obvious the client has full power to do whatever it wishes to a shared world based on how mods work, so I feel like its not gonna stop much in the end either way

Clitch
Feb 26, 2002

I lived through
Donald Trump's presidency
and all I got was
this lousy virus
Random tangent, but does anyone else's inspiration dry up in these games when you go into creative mode?

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

Jarmak posted:

Goons losing their poo poo because the programmer (singular) for a $20 dollar game they've probably played for 50-100 hours isn't putting out enough content yet is hilarious.

Getting pissy because some folks have said they hope a thing they like doesn't go down the path they dont like is pretty weird, mate. You're the closest thing to someone losing their poo poo I've seen so far.

But you're right about one thing, we almost certainly are playing different games. "dark and creepy", hah

Clitch posted:

Random tangent, but does anyone else's inspiration dry up in these games when you go into creative mode?

I can feel that. I mostly just use creative modes to try out ideas and then do it "for real", benefitting from whatever psychological trick is coming into play there.

Its also really nice to build things that actually have a function, however overbuilt and inappropriate the result might be. Plus limitations, however artificial, are often enjoyable!

GlyphGryph fucked around with this message at 23:19 on Mar 23, 2021

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011

Clitch posted:

Yes. I am very glad I never cheated in stonework supplies pre-Elder killing because it gives me a ton to look forward to, and building around that lack was fun too.

Claes Oldenburger
Apr 23, 2010

Metal magician!
:black101:

Clitch posted:

100%. Part of the joy to me is the work required to build the thing, as well as building the thing. It keeps my projects smaller but limitation breeds creativity.

I think there are two camps and both are okay. I understand not wanting to have to gather materials for gigantic projects but it's just not for me.

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

Like even when I do traditional purely artistic endeavours, imposing some sort of artificial limitations ("today I am only going to let myself use these three colors" or "I am going to make something solely out of the rocks I rind down at the beach") always makes it more fun.

But I also like to be able to say once in a while "you know, this specific part isnt actually fun for me anymore" and bypass one or more of those limitations, so I can understand those folks too. Even the most prolific of cheaters usually leave SOME element of the game untouched that they enjoy interacting with.

I just usually fix it with the many awesome mods available instead of with console commands, but I don't think I'm all that different from them.

GlyphGryph fucked around with this message at 23:22 on Mar 23, 2021

toadee
Aug 16, 2003

North American Turtle Boy Love Association

GlyphGryph posted:

Building resource generation machines is fun. Pretty much the entire Dwarf Fortress game and the genre it spawned is built around that, after all. Saying "why don't you just cheat in the resources" demonstrates a real fundamental misunderstanding of what people are doing and why they are doing it - especially since most of the "Exploits" are significantly more work than just doing things the "right way". It's not exactly a hard game.

You will note that you are not playing Dwarf Fortress, nor the genre it spawned. Also if building campfires around a spawner and walking there every couple of days is "more work" than going out and killing 7000 Greydwarves by hand, why not do that in the first place?

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

toadee posted:

Also if building campfires around a spawner and walking there every couple of days is "more work" than going out and killing 7000 Greydwarves by hand, why not do that in the first place?

I literally answered that question in the quote you just quoted and you dismissed it with an irrelevancy. Why ask it again when you know the answer and have just decided you don't like it.

Edit: To answer a second time in a way that might be more direct, because the campfire thing is a lot more fun.

Its that simple really.

rydiafan
Mar 17, 2009

toadee posted:

You will note that you are not playing Dwarf Fortress, nor the genre it spawned. Also if building campfires around a spawner and walking there every couple of days is "more work" than going out and killing 7000 Greydwarves by hand, why not do that in the first place?

Dude, what investment do you have in how other people enjoy a game? I'll give you the benefit of the doubt that you don't think you're being a dick, but you're being a dick.

toadee
Aug 16, 2003

GlyphGryph posted:

I literally answered that question in the quote you just quoted and you dismissed it with an irrelevancy. Why ask it again when you know the answer and have just decided you don't like it.

Edit: To answer a second time in a way that might be more direct, because the campfire thing is a lot more fun.

Its that simple really.

You said literally 'the exploit is more work than the right way'', implying building campfire murder machines is more work than mining rock or killing greydwarves by hand.

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo
More work no, but... why

"Yes, I'd like to spend 6 hours getting 10 minutes worth of stone"

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

I am honestly not sure what you aren't understanding or why you arent satisfied with the extremely clear answer I provided that you seem unable to even acknowledge?

Its really confusing and I'm not sure what you're going for here.

But yes you're definitely better off getting stone by going and mining some plains pillars if your only goal is maximizing efficiency, its a lot less work and a lot less time.

toadee
Aug 16, 2003

rydiafan posted:

Dude, what investment do you have in how other people enjoy a game? I'll give you the benefit of the doubt that you don't think you're being a dick, but you're being a dick.

Because they can literally still go do this in a number of ways - either by modding the game to bring back campfire mining, or by cheating on rock, yet instead they would rather foment ill will toward a tiny indy dev for making a game balance decision, to a broad audience, instead of just going and doing what they always did but instead doing in it 3-4 more clicks.

fennesz
Dec 29, 2008

Finally got my personal Keep on our server to a point I'm happy with it. Wanted to build it around one of the huge stone circles. Got lucky enough one spawned in a beautiful location.

rydiafan
Mar 17, 2009

My bad. You actually do know you're being a dick.

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

toadee posted:

Because they can literally still go do this in a number of ways - either by modding the game to bring back campfire mining, or by cheating on rock, yet instead they would rather foment ill will toward a tiny indy dev for making a game balance decision, to a broad audience, instead of just going and doing what they always did but instead doing in it 3-4 more clicks.

Do you understand why people do the campfire thing or not, now that it has been explained to you multiple times? Because it still seems like you don't. Or you're pretending you don't and are just trolling I guess? But pretending you're ignorant of the things you're saying is weird trolling.

I am betting you have some real boring looking viking houses though, since "why would you do anything more or build in an inconvenient place?" seems like it would be equally mystifying to you.

GlyphGryph fucked around with this message at 23:34 on Mar 23, 2021

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo
I'm still mostly shocked that people that aren't letsgameitout would bother

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Way I see it is I paid for the game and while the developer's suggestions are noted I know better than them how I enjoy using the toy they made.

I wouldn't expect someone from the lego company to come round and slap the bricks out of my hands if I deviate from the official kit instructions.

toadee
Aug 16, 2003

GlyphGryph posted:

Do you understand why people do the campfire thing or not, now that it has been explained to you multiple times? Because it still seems like you don't. Or you're pretending you don't and are just trolling I guess? But pretending you're ignorant of the things you're saying is weird trolling.

Yes, you want to farm infinite resources from creatures automatically by exploiting an unintended game mechanic. Without looking, I would still guess there is already a mod to let you go do this again, and if there isn't, just wait a day or two.

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

So... no, you literally don't understand it at all and aren't even gonna bother trying to to the extent that you to answer even a simple question.

Show us the pictures of your builds, man, prove me wrong.

Claes Oldenburger
Apr 23, 2010

Metal magician!
:black101:

OwlFancier posted:

Way I see it is I paid for the game and while the developer's suggestions are noted I know better than them how I enjoy using the toy they made.

I wouldn't expect someone from the lego company to come round and slap the bricks out of my hands if I deviate from the official kit instructions.

I think this becomes more prevalent as I get older and have less time. I'm willing to spend 3 hours prepping for bonemass and gearing up for a fun, communal, bossfight with friends.

I only have a night or two to do that per week, why would I take the other time to spend 3 hours farming wood. In my case this means I never build a giant mead hall. I have made peace with that and enjoy building small cabins instead.

If I still really wanted to make a mead hall though, I'd cheat in wood so I didn't spend all of my gaming time that week collecting wood.

Woden
May 6, 2006
You can still farm coal using a very similar technique, maybe the nerf is just the devs going too hard on boss exploits and it having some unintended consequences.

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo
You can farm coal afk in your boat without building anything

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

pik_d posted:

When does this happen

Basically whenever you get upgraded iron or silver armor, or an upgraded iron or silver shield. Shield might be earlier honestly.

You can just parry them and then kill them quick with the shield, or with armor just tank them. By the time you get up to padded armor they hit for like 6 or something.

causticBeet
Mar 2, 2010

BIG VINCE COMIN FOR YOU

Woden posted:

You can still farm coal using a very similar technique, maybe the nerf is just the devs going too hard on boss exploits and it having some unintended consequences.

Why would boss exploits even be a priority? Can’t I just build a tower out of their reach for like 3/5 bosses anyways? This + the console changes just feel like a real weird place to spend cycles for a game that desperately needs content in multiple big ways.

Sanctum
Feb 14, 2005

Property was their religion
A church for one
Quick question, I mined a small silver vein in a mountain and my wishbone isn't signalling anymore, does that mean there's no more silver nearby? I haven't fully mined the pocket so actually I know there is a little silver but maybe it only detects fresh ore veins?

Clitch posted:

Yeah that is very much my case in minecraft. I could be building mega-projects but for some reason in creative I just don't care about anything I make and lose interest quickly. With that said, I haven't built stone things in valheim so I don't know how long it takes to gather stacks of stone.

SubponticatePoster
Aug 9, 2004

Every day takes figurin' out all over again how to fuckin' live.
Slippery Tilde

Sanctum posted:

Quick question, I mined a small silver vein in a mountain and my wishbone isn't signalling anymore, does that mean there's no more silver nearby? I haven't fully mined the pocket so actually I know there is a little silver but maybe it only detects fresh ore veins?

Yeah that is very much my case in minecraft. I could be building mega-projects but for some reason in creative I just don't care about anything I make and lose interest quickly. With that said, I haven't built stone things in valheim so I don't know how long it takes to gather stacks of stone.
Once you've discovered a vein it stops pinging to avoid making you go bugfuck. So make sure to mark discovered veins on the map unless you remember exactly where they are.

punishedkissinger
Sep 20, 2017

personally, i think these changes are completely reasonable and if your enjoyment hinged on creating an infinitely respawning monster trap exploit im sure someone will mod it back it.

stop fighting though. vikings dont fight with each other. they are bros who process ore for each other and poo poo.

litany of gulps
Jun 11, 2001

Fun Shoe

Sanctum posted:

Gathering stone isn't really any slower than gathering wood. I just pulled like 400 wood out of my strip mine in maybe 10 minutes. Stone might take slightly longer because you can't get cascade effects like you do from falling trees. The real difference is that stone costs for constructions are about 4x what comparable wood stuff requires.

quietmonkey
Nov 23, 2002

SubponticatePoster posted:

Once you've discovered a vein it stops pinging to avoid making you go bugfuck. So make sure to mark discovered veins on the map unless you remember exactly where they are.

Specifically, for sliver veins at least, the ping stops after the first time you hit the vein with a pick.

I've taken advantage of that to expose veins, hit it once, drop a map marker and keep scouting until I find all of the silver on a mountain and then do the actual excavating later.

Dr. Clockwork
Sep 9, 2011

I'LL PUT MY SCIENCE IN ALL OF YOU!
Chop the base out of a spire in Plains. Stone for days.

Sixto Lezcano
Jul 11, 2007

Dr. Clockwork posted:

Chop the base out of a spire in Plains. Stone for days.

Yeah. It’s a baffling amount of stone. If you find one by the coast you can knock it down, load it into a long boat and leave. Boom.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

litany of gulps
Jun 11, 2001

Fun Shoe
I don't give much of a poo poo if I can't kill greydwarves in bonfires or whatever, but it chaps my rear end that I can't find a decent mountain that has more than a single silver vein.