Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

UltraShame
Nov 6, 2006

Vocabulum.
I actually prefer turn based stuff rather than the real time that PoE has. RT combat felt sloppy and chaotic in an unfun way.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Deltasquid
Apr 10, 2013

awww...
you guys made me ink!

THUNDERDOME

UltraShame posted:

I was posting in the Before I Play thread about Pillars of Eternity (it's my first old school-esque CRPG), and got some lukewarm responses about it like:

Which is totally fair, PoE is fun.. but good not great. I'm looking for the Greatest Hits of CRPGs to add to my pile of poo poo to play during COVID times. I've looked through reddit and some IGN type "best of the best" lists.

So far on my schedule is:
  • Divinity Original Sin 2 (seems to be the recommended one of the series)
  • Avadon series
  • Planescape Torment
  • new(ish) Shadowrun series
  • UnderRail
  • Baldur's Gate 2 (seems to be the recommended one of the series)

I don't mind older games as long as they run properly on Windows 10. Preferably fantasy but any genre is fine. Any others stand out that should be in this pile?

Baldur's Gate 2 is great but Baldur's Gate 1 is great as well. The only downside to BG1 is that you have to grapple with dnd low levels (which is kind of brutal in its own way) and the characters have less reactivity and depth than in BG2. Grab the enhanced editions if you can.

Icewind dale's good.

I've never played it but Neverwinter Nights 2 is supposedly good (especially mask of the betrayer expansion)

Knights of the Old Republic II (with the restored contents mods)

Dragon Age: Origins (2 and Inquisition are pretty OK but 1 is the one that really shone IMO, and closest to a CRPG of the bunch)

Baldur's Gate III is shaping up nicely but still in early access right now, but do keep an eye on it.

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

maybe also look into Arcanum and Geneforge (the latter in particular just got a modernized remake)

Yeah, Geneforge is good, and frankly I preferred the Avernum games over Avadon too. But all of Spiderweb Software's output is oldschool-style CRPGs, so if you see something in there that looks interesting, you might well want to snap it up. There's also a dedicated thread for that company, where you can ask for recommendations.

Cantorsdust
Aug 10, 2008

Infinitely many points, but zero length.

UltraShame posted:

I was posting in the Before I Play thread about Pillars of Eternity (it's my first old school-esque CRPG), and got some lukewarm responses about it like:

Which is totally fair, PoE is fun.. but good not great. I'm looking for the Greatest Hits of CRPGs to add to my pile of poo poo to play during COVID times. I've looked through reddit and some IGN type "best of the best" lists.

• Avadon series
  • Planescape Torment
  • UnderRail

I don't mind older games as long as they run properly on Windows 10. Preferably fantasy but any genre is fine. Any others stand out that should be in this pile?

I think Pathfinder Kingmaker is worthy to add to the list. It was very buggy on release but that’s all fixed now. I recommend playing at a low difficulty with the Bag of Tricks and Kingdom Resolution mods (on Nexus) for any on the fly tweaks you want. Definitely will have one of the smoothest UIs of any of these listed. I will caution however that it was made for veterans of the genre and its encounters are geared towards veterans, so start at a low difficulty.

Agree with BG2, agree it’s the best, get the enhanced editions with basic tweak patches and content restoration. Alternatively look into an Enhanced Edition Trilogy install with BG1 as well.

Agree with Planescape Torment.

Would recommend Arcanum with whatever updating modpatch there is (forget the specifics.) May come off a bit janky.

Agree with Fallout 1 and 2 although these may come off as a bit janky on modern computers.

Consider Pillars of Eternity 2, generally considered better than 1.

Of the Shadowrun Returns series I liked Dragonfall and Hong Kong. The original was a little lacking IMO.

Fruits of the sea
Dec 1, 2010

That’s a pretty good list, and yeah the Fallout games should probably be in it. It’s not old school, but Disco Elysium is already the classic successor to Planescape.

UltraShame
Nov 6, 2006

Vocabulum.

Fruits of the sea posted:

That’s a pretty good list, and yeah the Fallout games should probably be in it. It’s not old school, but Disco Elysium is already the classic successor to Planescape.

Played it several times, loved it. It's essentially a perfect game but I was looking for something with more crunchy gameplay over narrative.

Adding all the stuff that gets recommended here to Isthereanydeal and going to snap them up when on sale, thanks to all who reply!

pun pundit
Nov 11, 2008

I feel the same way about the company bearing the same name.

Pillars of eternity 2 has a turn based mode which works quite well. It's significantly more fun than 1, especially if you prefer turn-based combat.

Sandwich Anarchist
Sep 12, 2008

pun pundit posted:

Pillars of eternity 2 has a turn based mode which works quite well. It's significantly more fun than 1, especially if you prefer turn-based combat.

Came to post this. PoE2 is leaps and bounds better than 1

AG3
Feb 4, 2004

Ask me about spending hundreds of dollars on Mass Effect 2 emoticons and Avatars.

Oven Wrangler
Personally I enjoyed the combat of PoE1, but something about the prose in the writing was just making it impossible for me to enjoy. I can't even explain what it was, it just felt... off. I kind of want to play PoE2, but for brain worm reasons I'd have to beat 1 first, and three attempts later I still haven't gotten past chapter 2.

Sandwich Anarchist
Sep 12, 2008

AG3 posted:

Personally I enjoyed the combat of PoE1, but something about the prose in the writing was just making it impossible for me to enjoy. I can't even explain what it was, it just felt... off. I kind of want to play PoE2, but for brain worm reasons I'd have to beat 1 first, and three attempts later I still haven't gotten past chapter 2.

You're doing yourself dirty here. Just read a plot synopsis and move on

UltraShame
Nov 6, 2006

Vocabulum.

TooMuchAbstraction posted:

Yeah, Geneforge is good, and frankly I preferred the Avernum games over Avadon too. But all of Spiderweb Software's output is oldschool-style CRPGs, so if you see something in there that looks interesting, you might well want to snap it up. There's also a dedicated thread for that company, where you can ask for recommendations.

Holy poo poo, you weren't kidding. I assumed these were all old timey 90s-rear end games that were ported to work with steam. But the guy is stuck in a time warp, churning out ancient style RPGs for decades with the same formula. Sold!

Sandwich Anarchist posted:

You're doing yourself dirty here. Just read a plot synopsis and move on

WRT to this, can I just jump into BG2 and DOS2 in the same way and not really feel like I missed much at all?

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat
POE 1 is absolutely fine story- and prose-wise, it's just an Original Setting Do Not Steal, so the beginning can be a bit awkward.

UltraShame posted:

WRT to this, can I just jump into BG2 and DOS2 in the same way and not really feel like I missed much at all?

BG2 - yes, you get all the backstory you need in the intro. The problem with BG1 isn't just low level play, it's much deeper, there are sructural flaws that come with being the pioneer of the genre, like lots of empty wildrness screens, much simpler story and dialogue, and blank disposable companions. You can safely skip it.
DOS 2 - absolutely, there's virtually no continuity between the games in the series, it's more like each reimagines the setting and tells it from a different perspective, this goes for the Divinity franchise as a whole.

Oldstench
Jun 29, 2007

Let's talk about where you're going.
I'm going a different direction and recommending Might and Magic 3-7. Good old turn based monster stabbing. Bonus: it's not D&D. D&D sucks and is boring and makes for terrible video games.

Deltasquid
Apr 10, 2013

awww...
you guys made me ink!

THUNDERDOME
I'm not sure if Might & Magic really counts as a crpg, but you're right, the d&d ruleset kind of sucks and it's a shame so many games use(d) it.

Also I've never played Tyranny but as far as I understand it's universally well-regarded as a strong crpg as well.

Oldstench
Jun 29, 2007

Why wouldn't a computer role-playing game be considered a CRPG?

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

UltraShame posted:

• Avadon series
  • Planescape Torment
  • UnderRail

look at Masquerada: Songs and Shadows unless "greatest hits" means "more than twelve people ever played it"

Hwurmp fucked around with this message at 16:48 on Mar 24, 2021

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

a lot of people complain about the mechanics of Fallout 1 & 2 but if you don't instinctively recoil from turn-based stuff they're better than any of the Infinity Engine games of that era

maybe also look into Arcanum and Geneforge (the latter in particular just got a modernized remake)
There's a port of fallout 1 into fallout 2's engine

https://www.nma-fallout.com/threads/fallout-et-tu-release-v1-5.218045/

Deltasquid
Apr 10, 2013

awww...
you guys made me ink!

THUNDERDOME

Oldstench posted:

Why wouldn't a computer role-playing game be considered a CRPG?

My bad, I thought CRPG stood for classic RPG (in the vein of the infinity engine games, Arcanum and so on) and modern recreations or homages to them à la dragon age, PoE, Tyranny etc (isometric perspective, party-based, with positioning and strategy being key parts of the gameplay).

Might and magic fits but I would also recommend Skyrim and Fallout: New Vegas as all-time classics and greatest hits if that's the case.

Oldstench
Jun 29, 2007

Deltasquid posted:

Skyrim as an all-time classic if that's the case.
all-time classic piece of poop

SkyeAuroline
Nov 12, 2020

Deltasquid posted:

My bad, I thought CRPG stood for classic RPG (in the vein of the infinity engine games, Arcanum and so on) and modern recreations or homages to them à la dragon age, PoE, Tyranny etc (isometric perspective, party-based, with positioning and strategy being key parts of the gameplay).

Might and magic fits but I would also recommend Skyrim and Fallout: New Vegas as all-time classics and greatest hits if that's the case.

This is also what I thought based off the term and how it's usually used - rare a "CRPG list" includes something like Skyrim.

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe
It's one of those legacy terms like JRPG which was defined based off of a few trailblazing games. CRPGs way back in the day were mostly made with reference to either Ultima or Wizardry, and Might & Magic is very much in the Wizardry style, with the first-person grid-based maze exploration.

Amusingly, there's a bunch of CRPGs made in Japan, because Wizardry was huge there and got way more attention than it did in the USA.

Oldstench
Jun 29, 2007

TooMuchAbstraction posted:

Amusingly, there's a bunch of CRPGs made in Japan, because Wizardry was huge there and got way more attention than it did in the USA.

Is it still a crpg if your party consists of anime boob ladies?

Kennel
May 1, 2008

BAWWW-UNH!
Console RPG :smug:

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

Oldstench posted:

Is it still a crpg if your party consists of anime boob ladies?

More of a DDRPG at that point.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?

exquisite tea posted:

More of a DDRPG at that point.
I hate that I laughed at that.

Oldstench
Jun 29, 2007

PMush Perfect posted:

I hate that I laughed at that.

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

SkyeAuroline posted:

This is also what I thought based off the term and how it's usually used - rare a "CRPG list" includes something like Skyrim.
there are other, more specific reasons for that

iSurrender
Aug 25, 2005
Now with 22% more apathy!

UltraShame posted:

• Avadon series
  • Planescape Torment
  • UnderRail

Lords of Xulima

The Eschalon series

Knights of the Chalice

Walh Hara
May 11, 2012
Honestly, I see all these recommendations and I just think "but you haven't even played Divintiy OS 2 yet? Go play that first." It's such an obvious recommendation/pick.

Fruits of the sea
Dec 1, 2010

Deltasquid posted:

Also I've never played Tyranny but as far as I understand it's universally well-regarded as a strong crpg as well.

It’s a flawed game but it really commits to some innovative ideas and has a setting and story unlike anything else out there. I’d put it up there with Arcanum.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat
Arcanum aged really poorly, even the narrative and questing are outright primitive by today's standards, imo, and so it isn't really worth your time.

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug

steinrokkan posted:

Arcanum aged really poorly, even the narrative and questing are outright primitive by today's standards, imo, and so it isn't really worth your time.
Deep endgame spoilers, but are there any games other than Arcanum where The ancient Evil's plan to escape their generic inter-dimensional prison is to build a massive do nothing rube golderg machine and make magic crack under passive aggressive "BOY THERE SURE IS A LOT OF OLD FASHIONED PHYSICS HAPPENING, HUH?" And also that your final plot device to solve the ancient soul magic problem is an ancient science machine because all the magic chosen one prophecy bullshit was a bust.

So many things play up the "Magic and Science in the same setting!" angle but then panic and backpedal back to traditional magic for major NPCs and big plot points. Like how in Shadowrun the best cyberpunk tech corporations are run by... ancient elves and dragons. Mother fuckers, you already have bullshit turbo magic, why do you also need to be the ones developing the top shelf sci-fi tech? :argh:

Section Z fucked around with this message at 02:08 on Mar 25, 2021

Traitorous Leopard
Jul 20, 2009

Alright I need another game rec!

Lately, the only game that's kept my attention for a significant amount of time is Path of Exile. If I had to boil down my favorite parts:

- Love playing a dressed up slot machine. Hearing that sound of an exalted orb drop is the only way I can feel anything anymore
- Love also dressing up my character to look cool
- Love playing with skills/builds that are a visual spectacle and feel satisfying to use

Of course there are other ARPGs that could probably check these boxes, but I'm hoping for something that requires a little less time commitment to get to the good stuff since the new PoE league comes out in three weeks. Not opposed to ARPG recs, though (but I have played D3, Torchlight, Last Epoch, and Grim Dawn already).

Sandwich Anarchist
Sep 12, 2008

Traitorous Leopard posted:

Alright I need another game rec!

Lately, the only game that's kept my attention for a significant amount of time is Path of Exile. If I had to boil down my favorite parts:

- Love playing a dressed up slot machine. Hearing that sound of an exalted orb drop is the only way I can feel anything anymore
- Love also dressing up my character to look cool
- Love playing with skills/builds that are a visual spectacle and feel satisfying to use

Of course there are other ARPGs that could probably check these boxes, but I'm hoping for something that requires a little less time commitment to get to the good stuff since the new PoE league comes out in three weeks. Not opposed to ARPG recs, though (but I have played D3, Torchlight, Last Epoch, and Grim Dawn already).

Have you tried Final Fantasy 14?

Traitorous Leopard
Jul 20, 2009

Sandwich Anarchist posted:

Have you tried Final Fantasy 14?

I have not! Haven’t really considered any MMOs lately cause I don’t have as much game time as I used to - does it get off the ground pretty quick?

Shine
Feb 26, 2007

No Muscles For The Majority
I need a game to play until Monster Hunter Rise comes out. Help?

Boba Pearl
Dec 27, 2019

by Athanatos

Shine posted:

Street Fighter V

Ambaire
Sep 4, 2009

by Shine
Oven Wrangler

Traitorous Leopard posted:

I have not! Haven’t really considered any MMOs lately cause I don’t have as much game time as I used to - does it get off the ground pretty quick?

FF14 is a rather odd suggestion considering it's a JRPG masquerading as an MMO. If you actually watch all the cutscenes, getting from 1 to 80 is probably a multi hundred hour endeavour. Also, I don't recall any "dressed up slot machine" mechanics.

It is a very pretty dress-up simulator, though. As for skill usage.. that is based on the class; you don't really have any real choice within the class; just doing your rotation forever while allowing for boss mechanics.

Ambaire fucked around with this message at 07:56 on Mar 25, 2021

Oldstench
Jun 29, 2007

Shine posted:

Monster Hunter: World

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fruits of the sea
Dec 1, 2010

steinrokkan posted:

Yeah, there's still a bunch of cool stuff in it but actually playing Arcanum is a pretty punishing experience.