Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BougieBitch
Oct 2, 2013

Basic as hell

Sodomy Hussein posted:

Why is this thread marked as temporary?

Because, god willing, Glenn Greenwald will eventually stop being newsworthy once he is done burning all his bridges.

Actual answer - not really sure, but I think there's a pretty finite amount of discussion you can have about a single person (or two people) before you've exhausted all topics. If this thread was going to be permanent it would probably get folded into, like, the libertarian thread or some kind of larger "media meta thread" or something

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane

BougieBitch posted:

Because, god willing, Glenn Greenwald will eventually stop being newsworthy once he is done burning all his bridges.

Actual answer - not really sure, but I think there's a pretty finite amount of discussion you can have about a single person (or two people) before you've exhausted all topics. If this thread was going to be permanent it would probably get folded into, like, the libertarian thread or some kind of larger "media meta thread" or something

You'd think this, but he keeps tweeting new, dumb poo poo to discuss, because he's both incredibly stupid and very hateful.

eke out
Feb 24, 2013

PT6A posted:

You'd think this, but he keeps tweeting new, dumb poo poo to discuss, because he's both incredibly stupid and very hateful.

glenn is the embodiment of that dril tweet and will never, ever log off

all the people correctly mad at him for his TERFism and anti-queer poo poo are 100% guaranteed to make him even more of a hateful bigot, because that's what's happened with every other bad opinion he's held for the past several years

Sephyr
Aug 28, 2012
He was literally on Twitter earlier going "HAH! See, all the witch hunters were using the Boulder shootings to talk about non-existent white supremacy, and now it turns out the shooter is a filthy ARAB! Booya!"

I haven't really seen the latest incident described as political extremism, and I hang around very lefty circles. It was mostly the "this keeps happening, we need to do something about guns" talk, mostly.

But that line is not enough to get him on Fox again, apparently.

eke out
Feb 24, 2013

Sephyr posted:

He was literally on Twitter earlier going "HAH! See, all the witch hunters were using the Boulder shootings to talk about non-existent white supremacy, and now it turns out the shooter is a filthy ARAB! Booya!"

I haven't really seen the latest incident described as political extremism, and I hang around very lefty circles. It was mostly the "this keeps happening, we need to do something about guns" talk, mostly.

he moved on to just openly promoting far-right fucks glorifying this

https://twitter.com/ggreenwald/status/1374489083901190149
https://twitter.com/tomscocca/status/1374494151299919877

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003
SOME REALLY TEDIOUS DUMB SHIT THAT SUCKS ASS TO READ ->>

Sodomy Hussein posted:

Why is this thread marked as temporary?

it's just a word i threw in the title when i took 5 seconds to make this thread before uspol descended into yet another huge glenn greenwald derail. It's probably accurate in that I don't think we're intending to have a permanent glenn greenwald outrage thread around, but it also hasn't been talked about, so I wouldn't really read into it

sean10mm
Jun 29, 2005

It's a Mad, Mad, Mad, MAD-2R World
At this point GG is just a loud and proud transphobe who shouldn't be signal boosted on Something Awful.

PhazonLink
Jul 17, 2010
I mean the thread title has Assange, there's probably plenty of other people use to be or could be allies but then they milkshake ducked themsleves somehow.

BougieBitch
Oct 2, 2013

Basic as hell

PhazonLink posted:

I mean the thread title has Assange, there's probably plenty of other people use to be or could be allies but then they milkshake ducked themsleves somehow.

This could easily be the "Milkshake Duck Thread: you don't, in fact, 'gotta hand it to em""

Owlspiracy
Nov 4, 2020

i really encourage everyone to watch the 2016 assange documentary 'risk' and read the controversy surrounding the different versions, where the initially very pro-assange filmmaker changed her focus after interacting with him and realizing how much of a gross creep he was, then re-edited the film to be more sympathetic to him, and then re-edited it again after more information came out about assange and his followers and assange attacked her for including scenes where he describes his accusers as part of a feminist conspiracy out to get him.

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

BougieBitch posted:

This could easily be the "Milkshake Duck Thread: you don't, in fact, 'gotta hand it to em""

It definitely rules that one of the big lefty idols in D&D/C-SPAM is, or more accurately today, was, a fascist-repping transphobic libertarian.

I didn't even know about the transphobe poo poo until this thread and I still hated the guy.

Owlspiracy
Nov 4, 2020

Sodomy Hussein posted:

It definitely rules that one of the big lefty idols in D&D/C-SPAM is a fascist-repping transphobic libertarian.

I didn't even know about the transphobe poo poo until this thread and I still hated the guy.

to be fair the only people left in greg gregwald's corner these days are people who are terminally online reactionaries who judge value by ability to rile up people they dislike, and on that front ol' greg is quite good at posting offensive dribble that gets on people's skin (because its gross as hell)

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose
When your only goal is "épater la bourgeoisie" (or the modern version which I guess is "own the libs"), you might produce some good work but it's far more likely you'll just find yourself shouting "diarrhea" over and over again at people on the street.

tom kite
Feb 12, 2009

Aruan posted:

to be fair the only people left in greg gregwald's corner these days are people who are terminally online reactionaries who judge value by ability to rile up people they dislike, and on that front ol' greg is quite good at posting offensive dribble that gets on people's skin (because its gross as hell)

Am I misinformed or wasn't glenn's reporting responsible for bringing down that corrupt prosecutor and freed Lula?

tom kite
Feb 12, 2009

tom kite posted:

Am I misinformed or wasn't glenn's reporting responsible for bringing down that corrupt prosecutor and freed Lula?

What I mean

https://mobile.twitter.com/ggreenwald/status/1374471165725446144

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

So Glenn had insisted that the cop who died at the Jan 6th riot was not killed by the rioters

https://twitter.com/ryanlcooper/status/1374714316465770503?s=21

Whoops

Owlspiracy
Nov 4, 2020

yes sometimes Glenn does good things which unfortunately are drowned out by him screaming about trans people or defending mass shootings

Kavros
May 18, 2011

sleep sleep sleep
fly fly post post
sleep sleep sleep
I could understand the generalized myopia about Greenwald among various flavors of online leftist (but not all, which I was very happy about). But I could only understand it from, like, ... enough years ago that we didn't have this cornucopia of legitimacy-disintegrating, very awful things.

I... do not understand it now. Is this just a case of me losing the plot, like with the dirtbag left trend? Why is this an argument among leftists? Who's still caping for him so hard that it's ... controversial to hate him?

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!
Well, there are some people who will defend anyone who's been a guest on Chapo Trap House. But I think you'd be hard-pressed to find anyone who will go to bat for e.g. Angela Nagle at this point, and I think there's a general consensus among leftist podcast addicts that Matt Taibbi has some or all of his mind.

Solkanar512 posted:

Why do people keep wandering in here, refusing to read the thread and then for some reason always trying to make the point that anyone who objects to Greenwald is wrong in some way?
I didn't do that, so neither of us knows what you're talking about.

Reading the thread answers the question "Why is Glenn Greenwald bad?" which is not the question I asked. I'm glad I joined in, because the responses did answer my question. There are many awful journalists on the right and center-left, but none of those people justify little paroxysms of left-punching and weird fantasies about leftist bogeymen showing up to bully you.

I now understand why the USPol thread, which went on like a two-page derail to condemn making fun of Ben "Trayvon Martin was a thug who got what he deserved" Shapiro for being short, loves to hate Glenn Greenwald. Thank you!

Halloween Jack fucked around with this message at 14:56 on Mar 24, 2021

Solkanar512
Dec 28, 2006

by the sex ghost

Halloween Jack posted:

I didn't do that, so neither of us knows what you're talking about.

I know exactly what I’m talking about, and everyone responding to me have given nothing but textbook no effort responses.

Who are you to tell me that I don’t know what I see with my own eyes?

Sephyr
Aug 28, 2012

tom kite posted:

It's not his reporting. It's by the Intercept, mostly under Leandro Demori.

Glenn has boosted it and helped it reach more people, but he actually had remarkably little penetration and presence in brazilian inside politics. He's also mostly disconnected from the Intercept in the last 2 years, that I know of.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!

Solkanar512 posted:

Who are you to tell me that I don’t know what I see with my own eyes?
You claimed I said that "anyone who objects to Greenwald is wrong in some way." I didn't say that, so your righteous indignation is just embarrassing. Do better.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Kavros
May 18, 2011

sleep sleep sleep
fly fly post post
sleep sleep sleep

Sephyr posted:

Glenn has boosted it and helped it reach more people, but he actually had remarkably little penetration and presence in brazilian inside politics. He's also mostly disconnected from the Intercept in the last 2 years, that I know of.

To my best present understanding, Greenwald resigned from the Intercept in protest of editors not letting him run full-on disinformation related to the hunter biden laptop. He made interesting claims about the leadership of the magazine, and it got turned into some impressive counterpunches. Apparently, he had become unlikeable.

The timeframe saw him generally compared to Taibbi leaving Rolling Stone and Sullivan leaving New York Magazine to gently caress off to being a full-time ptown grouch.

Kavros fucked around with this message at 16:23 on Mar 24, 2021

Sephyr
Aug 28, 2012
Yes. That was the final break, though. He was already gone from hands-off to actually distant before that, for the reason you described. The Intercept is far from perfect, but it does try to steer away from the clickbaiting culture war stuff, and Glenn recently is all about that. He has never been an engaging writer nor a real investigative journalist; just really lucky in that people brought sensitive files to him due to his celebrity.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
I think it's kind of an occupational hazard with the rockstar reporter persona; he reported on things no one else was because the establishment didn't want people to hear about it, because that's what gets you attention, having someone no one else has from a platform that actually has credibility. Unfortunately that's both an addictive thing and a limited one, there's only so many big scoops to be had... unless you get sucked into the right ring propaganda machine, which is made to present the appearance of doing that on a daily basis. An array of righteous causes and colourful supervillains all with bombastic presentation and shifting just enough to keep your interest, with something for every strain of brainworms.

Slanderer
May 6, 2007

Kavros posted:

To my best present understanding, Greenwald resigned from the Intercept in protest of editors not letting him run full-on disinformation related to the hunter biden laptop. He made interesting claims about the leadership of the magazine, and it got turned into some impressive counterpunches. Apparently, he had become unlikeable.

The timeframe saw him generally compared to Taibbi leaving Rolling Stone and Sullivan leaving New York Magazine to gently caress off to being a full-time ptown grouch.

How was it disinformation lol. The people who kept saying that were conflating it with something unrelated from months prior. It seems maybe important for the intercept to report that Facebook and Twitter were literally blocking people from posting links to an article, or even including it in DMs

Slanderer
May 6, 2007

Sephyr posted:

It's not his reporting. It's by the Intercept, mostly under Leandro Demori.

That is entirely false. Glenn broke the story on the leaked text messages that started this whole thing, and its the reason *he* is being charged in Brazil lol

Solkanar512
Dec 28, 2006

by the sex ghost

Halloween Jack posted:

You claimed I said that "anyone who objects to Greenwald is wrong in some way." I didn't say that, so your righteous indignation is just embarrassing. Do better.

You used the phrase, "melting down", which normal folks interpret to mean "an unreasonable, negative reaction". You refused to acknowledge all the posts where people pointed out very reasonable things like making GBS threads on people who are trans and bi-erasure, so either you ignored them or you think those posts are fine.

Which is it?

Kavros
May 18, 2011

sleep sleep sleep
fly fly post post
sleep sleep sleep

Slanderer posted:

How was it disinformation lol.

The same way it usually was with him, just with extra enthusiasm this time around. A mash of really stretchy fact interpretation and grasping at contrarian straws to justify his previous views on the subject, resulting in an article which was weird, weak, and immediately celebrated by conservatives for his fearless going on tucker carlson to Speak Truth To Power.

The suppositions of the article in question aged poorly, so I don't think there's much more worth saying about it. It's just the specific flashpoint at which he was becoming Taibbi enough that he was no longer even really compatible with the intercept, went off on them and shifted to his current predominant format of mostly substack self pub and right wing media rounds.

Slanderer
May 6, 2007

Kavros posted:

The same way it usually was with him, just with extra enthusiasm this time around. A mash of really stretchy fact interpretation and grasping at contrarian straws to justify his previous views on the subject, resulting in an article which was weird, weak, and immediately celebrated by conservatives for his fearless going on tucker carlson to Speak Truth To Power.

The suppositions of the article in question aged poorly, so I don't think there's much more worth saying about it. It's just the specific flashpoint at which he was becoming Taibbi enough that he was no longer even really compatible with the intercept, went off on them and shifted to his current predominant format of mostly substack self pub and right wing media rounds.

That doesn't answer the question. An article you disagree with the conclusions of is not "disinformation" and i suspect you know this, unless you're a Russiagate Truther

Kavros
May 18, 2011

sleep sleep sleep
fly fly post post
sleep sleep sleep

Slanderer posted:

That doesn't answer the question.

Probably not to your individual satisfaction, no. But that's going to come down to that the major reason I don't like the article and don't really want to spend a lot of time going over it in detail again is because those conclusions were weak, weird postulations molded to fit his fixative conclusions about several things he became reliably delusional about. And that's disinformation. But generally anyone who basically still buys that Greenwald was correct or mostly correct in his assurances about the falsity of presumed russian disinformation operations and influence is going to disagree with that, and that's going to be that for as long as greenwald threads have to be containment zones.

Panzeh
Nov 27, 2006

"..The high ground"
Glenn is too much of a chickenshit to admit that journalism is always partisan so he tries to pretend non partisan journalism exists and that somehow it's free speech if you have to get funds to get the means of communication but not if you get banned from a platform.

The fact that he huffs farts about impartial journalism is one of the thing that makes him completely insufferable as a person- he loves to smuglord about how he's totally non-partisan and has no beliefs, just like Matt Taibbi, another chickenshit journalist. If he had any principles about his so-called anti-big media, he'd talk poo poo to Tucker Carlson on the Tucker show, but he's friends with all the other media buddies so he'll never say anything mean about him.

Slanderer
May 6, 2007

Kavros posted:

Probably not to your individual satisfaction, no. But that's going to come down to that the major reason I don't like the article and don't really want to spend a lot of time going over it in detail again is because those conclusions were weak, weird postulations molded to fit his fixative conclusions about several things he became reliably delusional about. And that's disinformation. But generally anyone who basically still buys that Greenwald was correct or mostly correct in his assurances about the falsity of presumed russian disinformation operations and influence is going to disagree with that, and that's going to be that for as long as greenwald threads have to be containment zones.

No it's not lol, that's just you not liking Glenn and his writing. You can't just saying "it's disinformation" because you think the conclusions are weak, because by that dumbshit logic your post would be disinformation for not presenting any evidence to back up its conclusion lol

Panzeh posted:

The fact that he huffs farts about impartial journalism is one of the thing that makes him completely insufferable as a person- he loves to smuglord about how he's totally non-partisan and has no beliefs, just like Matt Taibbi, another chickenshit journalist. If he had any principles about his so-called anti-big media, he'd talk poo poo to Tucker Carlson on the Tucker show, but he's friends with all the other media buddies so he'll never say anything mean about him.

Why does him having principles about free speech make you so mad?

Slanderer fucked around with this message at 20:12 on Mar 24, 2021

Owlspiracy
Nov 4, 2020

Slanderer posted:

No it's not lol, that's just you not liking Glenn and his writing. You can't just saying "it's disinformation" because you think the conclusions are weak, because by that dumbshit logic your post would be disinformation for not presenting any evidence to back up its conclusion lol

hi if it helps i don't like glenn because he's a huge transphobe and bigot who also defends mass shooters by perpetuating right wing talking points about how they're just troubled young men who had a bad day instead of acknowledging that this country has a real problem with fascist violence. i don't think his occasional good tweet highlighting hypocrisy amongst liberals when it comes to foreign policy justifies giving him a platform to spew bigotry about how transmen are just confused lesbians. if you need help finding other journalists happy to criticize the us foreign policy who also don't tweet bigotry, i am sure this thread can help you out, because otherwise i am not sure why you find it necessary to defend a noted transphobe like glenn greenwald.

Owlspiracy fucked around with this message at 20:33 on Mar 24, 2021

Owlspiracy
Nov 4, 2020

also just to add nobody really cares that he acts like a dipshit libertarian about free speech - whatever, there are a lot of free speech absolutists who are also wrong in pretending that there are no consequences to letting everyone spew hate and leaving the marketplace of ideas to figure it out in 2021 - the issue many people have (including myself) is his very clear record of saying awful things about immigrants, about muslims, about transmen, and his apparent willingness to defend white supremacists (in and out of the courtroom!) and spread their agenda. if you choose to believe he does these things because he just can't help having outdated conceptions of gender and sexuality because he's old, or that he's aware of what tucker carlson is and he's just trying to use his platform for good, then i think you're painfully naive, but you should at least acknowledge the many very clear bad things glenn has done and said. or you can just admit that you accept his bigotry because you think his critiques of the us are so valuable that they outweigh his terrible opinions, or - like many others - that you're willing to look past his terrible record because he does a good job making people you don't like mad online.

Slanderer
May 6, 2007

Aruan posted:

hi if it helps i don't like glenn because he's a huge transphobe and bigot who also defends mass shooters by perpetuating right wing talking points about how they're just troubled young men who had a bad day instead of acknowledging that this country has a real problem with fascist violence. i don't think his occasional good treat highlighting hypocrisy amongst liberals when it comes to foreign policy justifies giving him a platform to spew bigotry about how transmen are just confused lesbians. if you need help finding other journalists happy to criticize the us foreign policy who also don't tweet bigotry, i am sure this thread can help you out, because otherwise i am not sure why you find it necessary to defend a noted transphobe like glenn greenwald.

You could simply block him on twitter, if you like defending US wars and the erosion of free speech this much. Personally I think it's good to have a single voice on the biggest cable network occasionally doing this things, since no one else is (or at least not when their party is in power). It is incredibly unhealthy to have this kind of weird parasocial relationship with a blogger where you actively hate someone you follow by your own choice

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Owlspiracy
Nov 4, 2020

Slanderer posted:

You could simply block him on twitter, if you like defending US wars and the erosion of free speech this much. Personally I think it's good to have a single voice on the biggest cable network occasionally doing this things, since no one else is (or at least not when their party is in power). It is incredibly unhealthy to have this kind of weird parasocial relationship with a blogger where you actively hate someone you follow by your own choice

i don't use twitter and i don't follow glenngarry glenn greenwald. i - like many other people in d&d apparently, which is why this thread was created - do not like when people copy and paste his tweets because he's a transphobe and a bigot, even if he sometimes says good things about foreign policy. i do not think his critiques of us foreign policy justify giving him attention to also share his disgusting views on transmen because his critiques are not novel. objecting to him calling transmen confused lesbians does not mean i "defend US wars and the erosion of free speech", but thank you for making it clear you aren't actually interesting in engaging in a conversation about why some people have issues with greg gregwald.

Panzeh
Nov 27, 2006

"..The high ground"

Slanderer posted:

Because they're entirely phony and that 'free speech' is a false ideal since all speech, especially in his profession is curated and to some degree censored. The calls for free speech are more calls to 'put me on your show'. When someone's demanding New York Times respect ideological diversity, they're wanting Andrew Sullivan to be hired, not the Maoist who wrote long articles about the United $nakes of Amereikkka.

You'll notice he never goes against media organizations that have him on.

sean10mm
Jun 29, 2005

It's a Mad, Mad, Mad, MAD-2R World

Slanderer posted:

Should be easy to quote them doing that if this is what they actually said, and not a strawman.

It looks like they say they hate him for being a transphobe, which you keep ignoring.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Owlspiracy
Nov 4, 2020

so actually lets make this thread useful: everyone share your favorite journalists who are critical of us foreign policy but also aren't transphobes