Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

We were somewhere around Manila when the drugs began to take hold

skooma512 posted:

Made myself King of Ireland and seeded my kids all over the island.

Now what? There's no way to expand militarily to Scotland or England. Do I just keep marrying people into royal families until I get lucky somewhere down the line?

get allies or lots of gold to hire mercs and invade britain anyway

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Servetus
Apr 1, 2010
Wait for a moment of weakness, or create some. Civil wars and succession battles are great times for an outside force to snipe a county or two.

binge crotching
Apr 2, 2010

Traxis posted:

I really enjoyed playing as a custom ruler in eastern India, the start that has Viraja in it's demesne.

Just south of that is Vengipura, the best county in the area because of the barony of Ellur. It's also a 2 duchy kingdom, which means any ruler with decent stewardship can hold the entirety of it themselves.

Also, if you're playing an eastern religion, make sure to wander east to Pegu, and grab the county of Dagon. It's a strong building in general, and as long as your dynasty holds the pagoda you receive a bonus 5% renown.

Frionnel
May 7, 2010

Friends are what make testing worth it.

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

It's horribly wrong there's no Alexiad start :colbert:

There was this mod: https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=2216670956 But i don't know if it's already working with the new patch.

SnoochtotheNooch
Sep 22, 2012

This is what you get. For falling in Love
During the late roman republic there were some pretty famous gangs that formed to pursue political objectives in the city for their patrons. Is there any precedence for this in the medieval era?

I think it'd be cool after a certain level of development that empire titles have large gangs forming and you have to manage them or else powerful vassals can strong arm your other councilors into bad spots/extort land money.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!
Yes they are called noblemen

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Masturbations and Confucius were like that of a snake, in which a single sting can lead to blood, but every drop which can be left out of a man's body, is enough, and only can be purified by the sweat of his feet. And what a spectacle it was, when the Emperor of the East was about to bring forth three thousand slaves to perform his own will, and all of his servants, with their whole families, with every other community he might send up, took notice of this spectacle so very grievously as to take it upon themselves and, with great zeal and so full of passion, and so much malice, made themselves their master

This is a thing of beauty

verbal enema
May 23, 2009

onlymarfans.com
where can i see what county modifiers like local guide from meeting the giant swamp dude at

e: found it

verbal enema fucked around with this message at 08:24 on Mar 23, 2021

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

Is my memory right that if a couple de jure duchies or something break away from an Empire for whatever reason, there's no good way for a feudal liege to reincorporate them short of having personal claims or conquering it county by county?

I started a new 867 game, and although whoever was running East Francia managed to grab hold of Italy and West Francia, all of NW Germany split off, and so far there's no sign of them reconquering it, despite it being de jure land and them being the biggest dog around by a large margin.

scaterry
Sep 12, 2012

PittTheElder posted:

Is my memory right that if a couple de jure duchies or something break away from an Empire for whatever reason, there's no good way for a feudal liege to reincorporate them short of having personal claims or conquering it county by county?

I started a new 867 game, and although whoever was running East Francia managed to grab hold of Italy and West Francia, all of NW Germany split off, and so far there's no sign of them reconquering it, despite it being de jure land and them being the biggest dog around by a large margin.

There's a dejure duchy cb once the appropriate innovation's unlocked, which should allow them to reconquer fairly fast. If the AI knew how to offer vassalization they could easily reincorporate any feudal vassals but I'm guessing they don't.

Daktar
Aug 19, 2008

I done turned 'er head into a slug an' now she's a-stucked!

SnoochtotheNooch posted:

During the late roman republic there were some pretty famous gangs that formed to pursue political objectives in the city for their patrons. Is there any precedence for this in the medieval era?

I think it'd be cool after a certain level of development that empire titles have large gangs forming and you have to manage them or else powerful vassals can strong arm your other councilors into bad spots/extort land money.

During the early middle ages, chariot racing fan clubs in the ERE were part hooligan gangs, part political club, and even attempted to overthrow the Emperor at one point. I think they were mostly on the decline during CK3's time period, but it'd be cool to see something like that in game.

Lawman 0
Aug 17, 2010

SnoochtotheNooch posted:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Guelphs_and_Ghibellines#13th%E2%80%9314th_centuries often took the form of this and would imo be an excellent triggered event chain.

quote:

The Colosseum underwent several radical changes of use. By the late 6th century a small chapel had been built into the structure of the amphitheater, though this apparently did not confer any particular religious significance on the building as a whole. The arena was converted into a cemetery. The numerous vaulted spaces in the arcades under the seating were converted into housing and workshops, and are recorded as still being rented out as late as the 12th century. Around 1200 the Frangipani family took over the Colosseum and fortified it, apparently using it as a castle.

But yeah it would be nice if there were burgher-feudal lord tension perhaps with demands of changes to crown laws and maybe a special vassal type like free cities for the HRE.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
Since all the CK2 unplayables are in the base game I hope eventually the "boring" catholic, orthodox, and muslim areas get flavour like this. In CK2 people like vikings were fun because they got tons more poo poo to do, but there's no reason you couldn't support an Italy DLC, a pre-norman Britain DLC for celts and anglo-saxons, a DLC for the french kingdom and normans, a DLC for the HRE (and a way for the 867 karling blobs to transition out of that setup), and a DLC for the Rus.

Sky Shadowing
Feb 13, 2012

At least we're not the Thalmor (yet)
I reformed Asatru and then created a new faith of feminist vikings.

I like the touch that rather than making women shieldmaidens, you make men into shieldswains.

AnEdgelord
Dec 12, 2016

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

Since all the CK2 unplayables are in the base game I hope eventually the "boring" catholic, orthodox, and muslim areas get flavour like this. In CK2 people like vikings were fun because they got tons more poo poo to do, but there's no reason you couldn't support an Italy DLC, a pre-norman Britain DLC for celts and anglo-saxons, a DLC for the french kingdom and normans, a DLC for the HRE (and a way for the 867 karling blobs to transition out of that setup), and a DLC for the Rus.

I think Iberia would be a great location for a flavour pack since they could flesh out the mechanics for both the Iberian Christians and Muslims.

Sky Shadowing
Feb 13, 2012

It does annoy me a bit we finally got sainthood and such back in CK2 but no such having them at launch in CK3.

How are u
May 19, 2005

by Azathoth

Sky Shadowing posted:

I reformed Asatru and then created a new faith of feminist vikings.

I like the touch that rather than making women shieldmaidens, you make men into shieldswains.

I took Hasteinn and tramped over to India and settled down, keeping Norse culture and Asatru faith. Now its just past the year 1000 and I'd like to reform the faith, but I forgot that I need Holy Sites! There's no way I'm going to get back to Scandinavia for Asatru sites, so I think I'm just poo poo out of luck until another Asatru ruler does it on their own?

I have managed to marry a couple of my current ruler's incredible genius children to equally gifted Nepalese kids who just happen to practice Khyarwe Bon, and my current ruler is 58 and just a couple thousand Piety away from being able to convert to it. Maybe I could try to finagle that conversion, and then down the line recreate my own Eastern Asatru-like religion.

This game is going pretty great with faiths, tho. Khazaria is still going strong in the year 1000+, and it is fully and entirely Kabarist Judaism. There's also a thriving Kushite Duchy on the horn of Africa.

Does playing with Regional Heresies on "relaxed" make this more likely? I'm very much digging it.

ssb
Feb 16, 2006

WOULD YOU ACCOMPANY ME ON A BRISK WALK? I WOULD LIKE TO SPEAK WITH YOU!!

Is there either an in-game location or a mod that will put like a notepad in where I can leave myself notes about what my plans were in a save game for when I inevitably get distracted with something else for a week or two and forget what I was doing when I come back?

Popoto
Oct 21, 2012

miaow

How are u posted:

I have managed to marry a couple of my current ruler's incredible genius children to equally gifted Nepalese kids who just happen to practice Khyarwe Bon, and my current ruler is 58 and just a couple thousand Piety away from being able to convert to it. Maybe I could try to finagle that conversion, and then down the line recreate my own Eastern Asatru-like religion.

That’s basically what needs to be done yeah.

Get a ruler down the prophet path, adopt a local religion and add some big footnotes to their religion to make it your own.

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

Playing a Rurikid game and my step-brother with like 30 Military Skill who I landed in Odessa (he was my heir apparent before this younger, better son was born) managed to install himself as the Khazar Khagan. Nice job bro :smith:

Shame I had to strong arm him into an alliance so he wouldn't instantly get deposed.

Anno
May 10, 2017

I'm going to drown! For no reason at all!

There’s a new Dev Diary today talking about their design goals and post-launch thoughts on the DLC. It’s an interesting read for anyone who’s into that kind of stuff. I’d love to see this happen more often just to get an idea of why X is the way it is or learn that Y clearly had different goals and they just couldn’t make it work, or whatever.

verbal enema
May 23, 2009

onlymarfans.com
I have huuuundreds of hours in CK2

This game is a different beast oh god

Combats fun tho

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.
New Spiff on CK3, apparently raiding is OP with this current patch.

Traxis
Jul 2, 2006

MonsieurChoc posted:

New Spiff on CK3, apparently raiding is OP with this current patch.

The hotfix released today fixed the raiding exploit he uses so don't update if you want to try it yourself.

Various Meat Products
Oct 1, 2003

shortspecialbus posted:

Is there either an in-game location or a mod that will put like a notepad in where I can leave myself notes about what my plans were in a save game for when I inevitably get distracted with something else for a week or two and forget what I was doing when I come back?

If you're into notepads, Windows comes with a cool notepad program called Notepad

Sky Shadowing
Feb 13, 2012

Various Meat Products posted:

If you're into notepads, Windows comes with a cool notepad program called Notepad

If notepad isn't notepady enough for you there's also Notepad++ which lets you have lots of notepads open.

wologar
Feb 11, 2014

නෝනාවරුනි

How are u posted:

I've read somewhere that Khyarwé Bön is the only unreformed religion that can't be reformed because it already has a reformed version in-game, Gyur Bön.

Edit: It's on the wiki: https://ck3.paradoxwikis.com/Faith#Tibetan

wologar fucked around with this message at 22:49 on Mar 23, 2021

HerraS
Apr 15, 2012

Looking professional when committing genocide is essential. This is mostly achieved by using a beret.

Olive drab colour ensures the genocider will remain hidden from his prey until it's too late for them to do anything.

Can we get DLC that isnt about boring rear end white people? They put India and Tibet on the map from the get go and the poo poo that goes on in there is a billion times more interesting than bibleland

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v7K4vGYL9zI

Whorelord
May 1, 2013

Jump into the well...

HerraS posted:

Can we get DLC that isnt about boring rear end white people? They put India and Tibet on the map from the get go and the poo poo that goes on in there is a billion times more interesting than bibleland

drat, Nandor the Relentless is a better dancer than I would've thought.

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

You couldn't grok my race car, but you dug the roadside blur.

Sky Shadowing posted:

If notepad isn't notepady enough for you there's also Notepad++ which lets you have lots of notepads open.

There's also the app "a piece of paper". The pen DLC is a must though. :P

Fake edit: But yeah I get it, it is overwhelming to come back and be like wtf was I even doing. Who are these people?

Omnicarus
Jan 16, 2006

if you aren't using MS Project to keep your games on track you're a fuckin' buster

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo

HerraS posted:

anyone but vikings and mongols I'm excited for.

ssb
Feb 16, 2006

WOULD YOU ACCOMPANY ME ON A BRISK WALK? I WOULD LIKE TO SPEAK WITH YOU!!

Various Meat Products posted:

I meant in the game you twats.

Ill take that as a no.

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo
I use gvim like God intended

Moonshine Rhyme
Mar 26, 2010

Hate Hate Hate Hate Hate

Azhais posted:

I use gvim like Deus Vult

Gantolandon
Aug 19, 2012

Unfortunately, the military AI is still atrocious. I think it's even worse than it ever was in CK2. It can't coordinate for poo poo, which means whoever has the larger stack often wins, as the defender is unable to coordinate their defense and gets their stacks too late to turn the tide of the battle, but early enough to get defeated along with the nearly slaughtered army. They often ignore their war targets – I've seen several crusades for Jerusalem when no crusader even set foot in Jerusalem, sieging Crete and some Umayyad holdings in Syria and Egypt.

This contributes to the issue of larger polities (and adventurers with event-spawned troops) being effectively invincible, as they have the largest stacks and the AI is powerless to do anything about them. It also means Catholicism inevitably trying suicide by Umayyads every several years unless someone intervenes and redirects it somewhere else.

Talky
Mar 26, 2010
The game has a fully functioning note-taking system, but for whatever reason Paradox never mentions it in the tutorial and it's inexplicably tied to the family tree UI.

All you have to do is take the seduction / intrigue skill trees. Whenever you need to take a note of something, sire a bastard and name them after the goal you mean to accomplish or important thing you want to remember. If you mark them as special interest you may even get periodic reminders! Once the goal is complete, murder them. :eng101:

Talky fucked around with this message at 00:10 on Mar 24, 2021

AnEdgelord
Dec 12, 2016

Talky posted:

The game has a fully functioning note-taking system, but for whatever reason Paradox never mentions it in the tutorial and the it's inexplicably tied to the family tree UI.

All you have to do is take the seduction / intrigue skill trees. Whenever you need to take a note of something, sir a bastard and name them after the goal you mean to accomplish or important thing you want to remember. If you mark them as special interest you may even get periodic reminders! Once the goal is complete, murder them. :eng101:

I've been afraid to open the Family Tree UI after it crashed my game one time

verbal enema
May 23, 2009

onlymarfans.com
wait where the gently caress was the tutorial i just jumped right into Kru

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

Gantolandon posted:

Unfortunately, the military AI is still atrocious. I think it's even worse than it ever was in CK2. It can't coordinate for poo poo, which means whoever has the larger stack often wins, as the defender is unable to coordinate their defense and gets their stacks too late to turn the tide of the battle, but early enough to get defeated along with the nearly slaughtered army. They often ignore their war targets – I've seen several crusades for Jerusalem when no crusader even set foot in Jerusalem, sieging Crete and some Umayyad holdings in Syria and Egypt.

This contributes to the issue of larger polities (and adventurers with event-spawned troops) being effectively invincible, as they have the largest stacks and the AI is powerless to do anything about them. It also means Catholicism inevitably trying suicide by Umayyads every several years unless someone intervenes and redirects it somewhere else.

The peace time AI seems to be really bad too. Is there a debug mode you can use to see what the hell they are trying to do at any particular moment?

Most of the time it seems like they're ether doing nothing, or distracted by some small ally's war.