Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ganso Bomb
Oct 24, 2005

turn it all around

Raskolnikov38 posted:

should have saved this one for the the next time they do a tribute to the troops and hope some general with a stick up his rear end demands he get fired

Isn't there like zero military interaction with those shows now? Used to be they'd fly over to a base or whatever and do a show. Now they're just regular shows like Raw or Smackdown, aren't they?

Could be misremembering, or maybe it was just a COVID Times thing, but I felt like the last few were very much not like what they used to be 10 years ago.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Germansimp
May 28, 2013

Ganso Bomb posted:

Isn't there like zero military interaction with those shows now? Used to be they'd fly over to a base or whatever and do a show. Now they're just regular shows like Raw or Smackdown, aren't they?

Could be misremembering, or maybe it was just a COVID Times thing, but I felt like the last few were very much not like what they used to be 10 years ago.

They still had military interaction prior to Covid, but it has definitely gotten less and less of over the years. They stopped going overseas, sometimes they shot the shows at some arenas that they claimed were air bases, they stopped bringing in celebrities for guest appearances, and in 2019 the show also became "Network-exclusive" or something. At this point the whole concept of "Tribute to the Troops" is pretty much just an empty shell of what it once was.

Although now that the US has a Democrat as president again, it wouldn't surprise me if Vince tried to make it a big deal this year (because unlike Biden, they care about ARE TROOPS) and even bring in an orange, racist WWE Hall of Famer to any TttT tapings.

Weedle
May 31, 2006

Ganso Bomb posted:

it just hasn't been the same since the fort hood incident

e: oh my god they really did do a show at fort hood lol

ee: two shows!!

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Fort Hood Let me hear it one time

Der-Wreck
Feb 13, 2006
Friday nights are for Wapner!

smikey posted:

For what audience? who would listen to him drone on for hours? the internet was a mistake

He actually does ASMR videos of him eating chips now

https://youtu.be/skyd1JiJiYs

Shard
Jul 30, 2005

This is a really cool picture I found on reddit.

https://www.reddit.com/r/TwoBestFriendsPlay/comments/mbms0x/fatality/

https://twitter.com/Shard01464880/status/1374513160435077126

kinetic77
Jun 23, 2010

https://twitter.com/alexm_talksport/status/1374497116295372802?s=21

Edge & Christian
May 20, 2001

Earth-1145 is truly the best!
A world of singing, magic frogs,
high adventure, no shitposters
The Decline and Fall of Tributes to the Troops:

2003: Filmed in Bagdhad, main event is John Cena beating Big Show, also features Stone Cold pretending to be Santa Claus in order to beat up Vince McMahon
2004: Filmed in Tikrit, Mick Foley is Santa Claus, main event is Rey/Eddie vs. Angle/Reigns [Luther], show-closing angle of JBL insulting the troops and Big Show beating him up
2005: Filmed in Bagram, main evented by Triple H vs. Shawn Michaels
2006: Filmed in Baghdad, main event is A TROOP beating the Masterlock challenge with the help of Santa (JBL in disguise)
2007: Filmed in Baghdad, main event is DX beating up Mr. Kennedy and Umaga
2008: Filmed in Baghdad, features a video message of George W Bush shouting out WWE, Cryme Tyme as Double Santas, and a main event of Cena/Batista/Mysterio beating Jericho/Big Show/Orton.
2009: Filmed in Balad, features video messages from Barack Obama and David Petraeus shouting out WWE, R-Truth as Santa, and a main event of Mysterio/Henry vs. Punk/Carlito

This may have been the peak of tributes, as after this they move stateside and experience a significant dip in appearances from Santa Claus or high ranking government officials.

2010: Filmed at Fort Hood, Sherri Shepherd (not a WWE Superstar) as Santa, Diddy and Cedric the Entertainer (have never been POTUS or even cabinet members) guest star, main event of Cena/Mysterio/Orton vs. Half of the League of Nations & Miz
2011: Not even filmed on a military base, (it's filmed near, not on, Fort Bragg) but they get Obama to cut another promo. Nickelback performs. Cena/Punk/Big Show beat ADR/Mark Henry/Miz. I can find no evidence of Santa appearing.
2012: Again filmed near but not on a military base stateside, Obama makes it a threepeat of videos. Main event is Cena vs. Cesaro, Damian Sandow interrupting the Miz officiating a wedding between Kermit and Miss Piggy, and performances from both Kid Rock and Flo Rida. They get the real Santa (or at least he's not a wrestler in disguise) but he's not over enough to make the telecast I don't think.
2013: Actually filmed at Joint Base Lewis-McChord, Jeff Dunham and Daughtry are the celebrities. Big Show beats Damien Sandow and Daniel Bryan leads everyone in a Yes chant to close the show. Santa is a no-show.
2014: Filmed near Fort Benning, where the troops are exposed to Florida Georgia Line and Hulk Hogan himself coming out to raise the hands of the iconic babyface combo of John Cena, The Vintner Erick Rowan, Dolph Ziggler, and Ryback.
2015: Filmed in Jacksonville, main event is a sixteen man clusterfuck where Dean Ambrose and Roman Reigns and their six friends beat up the League of Nations and the Wyatt Family and don't even get Santa Claus or a racist old man to raise their hand at the end. Howie Mandel and Train guest star.
2016: Filmed in Washington DC and they're not even pretending to be on a military base anymore. Gabriel Iglesias seconds Apollo Crews as he beats up the Miz, and Big Cass main events, helping The Big Dog beat Rusev and Kevin Owens.
2017: Possibly filmed on an Air Force base in San Diego. Machine Gun Kelly, Sam Harris, and Bebe Rexha serenade the troops before a main event of Orton/Nakamura/Styles vs. Owens/Zayn/Jinder. Santa continues his boycott.
2018: Back to Fort Hood! Morgan Wallen (a Hulk Hogan level talent in terms of using the N-Word) sings, Jon Stewart jokes, and Santa Claus continues to avoid paying tribute to the troops before AJ Styles and Seth Rollins defeat Daniel Bryan and Dean Ambrose to send the crowd home happy(?).
2019: Filmed at Marine Corps Base Camp Lejeune. WWE Network Exclusive with no celebrity or Santa appearances. Seth Rollins beats Erick Rowan in the main event.
2020: Filmed at the Thunderdome. Aired midday on Fox, the main event (out of three matches) was Drew McIntyre squashing the Miz. Hardy (no, the other one,the one that looks like Vince Gilligan dressing up like Kid Rock) performs.

What does the future hold for Tribute to the Troops 2021? Well, WWE has thus far only held a TttT at four of the ten military bases named after Confederate Generals, so they'd better hurry up and do shows at Fort AP Hill, Camp Beauregard, Fort Gordon, Fort Lee, Fort Pickett, and Fort Rucker if they want to get the complete set!

StarkRavingMad
Sep 27, 2001

Yams Fan

He had a second penis surgically implanted onto his leg, just in case

WatermelonGun
May 7, 2009

i’d eat it

Prokhor Zakharov
Dec 31, 2008

This is me as I make another great post

Good luck with your depression!
oh my god lol

https://twitter.com/OneWorldWarrior/status/1359925960427077637

TheKingslayer
Sep 3, 2008

Well that's a guy you don't want to take liberties with and also lol

King Bahamut
Nov 12, 2003
internet internet lama sabacthani
which Tribute featured a loosely controlled promo cycle that resulted in Ashley Massaro getting sexually assaulted and told to hush it up

Edge & Christian
May 20, 2001

Earth-1145 is truly the best!
A world of singing, magic frogs,
high adventure, no shitposters

King Bahamut posted:

which Tribute featured a loosely controlled promo cycle that resulted in Ashley Massaro getting sexually assaulted and told to hush it up
None of the Tributes, looking it up it appears to be a summer 2006 USO tour.

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

According to the game developers: "iT's NoT aBoUt tHe pOLiTiCs!" Get hosed, mate.

Edge & Christian posted:

None of the Tributes, looking it up it appears to be a summer 2006 USO tour.

Customary reminder that Vince personally pressured her to keep silent about it.

TheKingslayer
Sep 3, 2008

Vagabundo posted:

According to the game developers: "iT's NoT aBoUt tHe pOLiTiCs!" Get hosed, mate.

How could anyone say this without their pants literally bursting into flames?

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

TheKingslayer posted:

How could anyone say this without their pants literally bursting into flames?

Ubisoft claims to this day that none of their Tom Clancy games are political.

karmicknight
Aug 21, 2011
https://twitter.com/ViolateGeneva/status/1361783570499575812

This is the only Six Days in Fallujah take I will not complain about not being on topic.

Pylons
Mar 16, 2009

https://twitter.com/mizunami0324/status/1374578573026148354

Happy birthday to Aniki

TheKingslayer
Sep 3, 2008

Vince MechMahon posted:

Ubisoft claims to this day that none of their Tom Clancy games are political.

I regularly play Siege and didn't know this, holy gently caress lol.

That's the closest I like to get to games about real world conflict since it's just various special ops monsters fighting each other.

It's almost as funny as Retribution not being a political thing.

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes
that reminds me, did they even acknowledge retribution maybe breaking up yet

RealFoxy
May 11, 2011

I'm not making a fucking QCS thread for this but seriously can we take a harder stance on Kiwifarms freaks like this guy, Jesus Christ seriously, you used to be better at knocking these creeps down. I guess ADTRW mods aren't responsible like GBS mods are.
What's going on everyone, this is Low Ki, unfortunately I have to withdraw from today's event [inesert event] I have a a neck injury, which the MRI report has come back with many issues and at this time it's not wise it's simply not wise to risk further injury. I'm sorry if I've let anyone down. I know it's quite disappointing at this time, but a suitable replacement has been found and you're in for a hell of a fight [match replacement]. Please accept my apologies, but at this time I am currently not medically cleared.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Why does this role-playing fan account have a blue check mark? :thunk:

Pope Corky the IX posted:

Every time I see the title of this thread I immediately think of "Union of People You Oughta Respect, Shane!"

Very glad I am not the only one, though it's always son, not Shane, which I think makes me the opposite of Vince?

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR
https://twitter.com/WWEAsuka/status/1374586997021446146

Eat My Fuc posted:

Sting is the definitive Joker performance, sorry Heath (Slater and Ledger)

"You're awful, Terry."
"I'm awful, brother, how am I awful?"

DM Punk
Aug 24, 2004
Interesting group.

https://twitter.com/Hybridsow/status/1374582386005000193?s=19

RealFoxy
May 11, 2011

I'm not making a fucking QCS thread for this but seriously can we take a harder stance on Kiwifarms freaks like this guy, Jesus Christ seriously, you used to be better at knocking these creeps down. I guess ADTRW mods aren't responsible like GBS mods are.
Tessa Blanchard, Sasha, Bayley, and Kalisto, I don't recognize the others

GEORGE W BUSHI
Jul 1, 2012

I'm not sure other than Daga, but that's Funaki's school wow

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

I guess it follows that Daga would be there. He and Tessa Blanchard are married, right?

I wonder what the odds of Blanchard signing with the WWE are at this stage? It's not like they give a toss about problematic people they sign.

STING 64
Oct 20, 2006

e: nm, the thing i posted was false and attributed to a different promoter.

STING 64 fucked around with this message at 09:33 on Mar 24, 2021

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

Vagabundo posted:

I guess it follows that Daga would be there. He and Tessa Blanchard are married, right?

I wonder what the odds of Blanchard signing with the WWE are at this stage? It's not like they give a toss about problematic people they sign.

Weren't they closing in on a deal before her racism drama popped up?

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

How does Twitter fit into the Lore of the Fiend?

Me, the Fiend, sitting around eating souls: Time to tweet a Joker quote!

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?

Jerusalem posted:

Very glad I am not the only one, though it's always son, not Shane, which I think makes me the opposite of Vince?

See, I keep seeing that the S was for Son, but I could swear the original promo had Foley saying that the S was for Shane.

kinetic77
Jun 23, 2010

https://twitter.com/akfytwrestling/status/1374482656360947726?s=21

Cavauro
Jan 9, 2008

if you want to figure out the union once and for all then be sure to watch watch wwf raw from may 3, 1999

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?
Maybe I prefer the mystery.

Cavauro
Jan 9, 2008

sounds like fear.

kinetic77
Jun 23, 2010

Marty in Chaos Project confirmed.

https://twitter.com/martincasaus/status/1374704348119379971?s=21

Hedgehog Pie
May 19, 2012

Total fuckin' silence.

Pope Corky the IX posted:

See, I keep seeing that the S was for Son, but I could swear the original promo had Foley saying that the S was for Shane.

It's definitely son, but I think Foley explained the clever acronym by shouting "UPYOuRS, Shane!!!".

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?
I would love to see a list of all the acronyms and abbreviations Russo has come up with over the years, he has a permanent erection for them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BodyMassageMachine
Nov 24, 2006

:yeah:

This would be cool and good, Marty is good at unhinged and we could get TWO people who throw Snakemn around!