Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?

GnarlyCharlie4u posted:

Bliss TKL didn't immediately sell out.
https://moeso.de/collections/bliss-gb/products/gb-bliss-tkl

not really my thing but I figured I'd pass it along since inquiries were recently made.

Could someone explain what justifies this kind of price?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

interrodactyl
Nov 8, 2011

you have no dignity

Epsilon Plus posted:

My MOlly came in. This is... heavier than I expected. I was kinda hoping to actually get some soldering practice before it arrived. How badly can I gently caress up a PCB with my first time soldering? I should probably do a practice run first, right?

Soldering switches is one of the easiest solder jobs you can do. It is extremely hard to gently caress up. If you just buy a practice kit for a Christmas tree or something off Amazon and can do that, you can 100% solder switches onto a keyboard PCB.

Constellation I
Apr 3, 2005
I'm a sucker, a little fucker.

Rinkles posted:

It's mostly a combination of the group buy runner taking the design, prototyping, manufacturing and other logistics costs and splitting that cost with buyers to make the run even worth doing.

Group buy runners can range from some random dude with some manufacturing contacts, to a big company like Massdrop/Glorious, to companies in Asia who actually own these factories or very well-connected in the industry. Depending on who is running the group buy, how ambitious/difficult the design is to manufacture and how big of a run it is will kind of determine how cheap you can make a keyboard.

I don't know much about that particular group buy but it seems to be a low volume run being done by one dude. With that said though, that design's not really my thing as well.

Constellation I fucked around with this message at 02:45 on Mar 21, 2021

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

I have an unhealthy obsession with motorcycles.

Proof

Rinkles posted:

Justify implies you want some kind of logical reasoning that you can use to explain why you just spent $450 on a keyboard + another $100 on an extra PCB and plate + $50 shipping.
If that's what you're after, keep walkin' bud.

But if you want to know why it costs $450,
Materials are expensive.
Machine time is expensive.
Both of these seem exponentially more expensive than you're expecting because small manufacturing numbers means it costs more to manufacture. Tooling, machinery, assembly lines, even packaging and distribution has to be reconfigured between the production of different products and that all takes time which costs money, so factories charge a pretty penny for that. Additionally, the manufacturing process of higher end custom keyboards is more difficult generally and QC can be an absolute nightmare depending on the shape/materials/finish involved.

Design, is not generally a large % of the cost but they're probably not making a shitton off of this anyway. Designers do have to cover their initial R&D and prototyping costs after all, but it's okay for them to make some money as well. I mean that's capitalism.

The market for custom keebs like this currently justifies the price. It's about $100 more than something similar would have cost you a year ago, but poo poo got expensive after covid hit and everyone spent their stimulus money on metal rectangles.

Epsilon Plus posted:

My MOlly came in. This is... heavier than I expected. I was kinda hoping to actually get some soldering practice before it arrived. How badly can I gently caress up a PCB with my first time soldering? I should probably do a practice run first, right?
I was super tempted to get a M0lly and again when Extras were announced but luckily I justified passing on it because I'm avoiding TKC until they get their act together for the foreseeable future.
I would definitely practice soldering something besides your very expensive keyboard that you waited a long time for, if you've never soldered anything before. But for the most part, no. Soldering is easy. You can gently caress it up though. You can burn or damage the pads, and melt switch housings by overheating the switch legs. Get at least a little familiar with how to solder something to avoid this. Also take some time to figure out your ideal soldering iron temp, and how often you should clean the tip.

mewse posted:

To be honest you could just save your money and skip to the $800 keyboard

It's true, if you skip the first 4 keebs and just go straight for the $800 keyboard instead it's actually $100 cheaper.

e: and as I was typing this up the Serenity65 - a $500 target keyboard just indefinitely postponed their groupbuy because they cannot seem to find a manu to produce the board at or near that pricepoint.
https://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=106092.0

I mean... yeah. Stainless steel is expensive as gently caress to produce right now.

GnarlyCharlie4u fucked around with this message at 02:51 on Mar 21, 2021

TheFluff
Dec 13, 2006

FRIENDS, LISTEN TO ME
I AM A SEAGULL
OF WEALTH AND TASTE

Rinkles posted:

People are willing to pay it. That's it. GnarlyCharlie4u does have some valid points in that small production batches of these things get very expensive, but that's sort of not seeing the forest for the trees, IMO. These extremely custom boards are conspicuous luxury items for a certain kind of nerd whose day job probably is at a big tech company where they earn well over $200k a year. They do things like commission custom board kits where a 65% starts at $2000 (check out the price list - a stainless steel TKL is $3300), and that's without switches, stabilizers or keycaps.

There's actually a pretty interesting writeup on how the prices were set for these $500 kits - the principle of setting prices based on the production cost was explicitly rejected.

Framboise
Sep 21, 2014

To make yourself feel better, you make it so you'll never give in to your forevers and live for always.

Lipstick Apathy

Constellation I posted:

Sound is really dependent on a number of factors. Material and construction of the case. Material and construction of the plate the switches are on (hell, maybe plateless even) Dampening if any on the case, keyboard placed on a desk mat, etc. Then you go on to switch types, and whether they're lubed (spring, leaf or stem), filmed etc. The Womier looks to be all poly, so it'll sound different from the all metal case linked in that video.

As for GMK keycaps, the answer is yes. It's really high quality thick ABS plastic with excellent legends and colour options. It'll eventually shine though since it's just how it is for ABS keycaps. (PBT keycaps should eventually shine as well, just takes a whole lot more use)

But they're not your only options. If you don't mind OEM profile, then TaiHao keycap sets are of good quality and available for cheaper. Vortex/iKBC as well, but much more limited colour options.

Cherry profile PBT keycaps from the likes of EnjoyPBT can be slightly cheaper as well. There's also "knockoff" GMK called JTK which are fairly similar quality, but slightly worse legends (might be a lot better these days). Though I think their prices are creeping up to "might as well get GMK" these days.

There's also other options from AliExpress and Chinese vendors, but you really have to check out which individual sets are good as there's a lot of garbage out there.

EDIT: Also look out for group buys for keycaps to see if any of the cheaper ones catch your attention. There's so many new manufacturers and vendor collabs out there that it's hard to keep track. But if there's reasonable demand and hype around it, should at least be decent quality. Again though, these typically aren't cheap keycaps but there's definitely reasonably priced ones. mechgroupbuys.com is a good site to use.

Thanks, I'll do my best to keep an eye and ear out for things relevant to my interest. Hopefully I'll come across a GMK set that really speaks to me and gets me to crack my wallet open. Closest one I can find right now is GMK Posh that I can see is available right now in a group buy, but ehhhh. I can wait.

GnarlyCharlie4u posted:

whoo boy okay...
Constellation I pretty much covered everything. There are a lot of factors that go into making a keyboard 'sound good'.

Think of a keyboard as though it were an instrument. Like a guitar. You can change the strings; nylon, steel, brass... and it will change the sound. But you can also use those same strings on a variety of guitars and they will all sound different; steel guitar, acoustic, solid body electric, hollowbody.
And don't forget that the sound you're hearing is being recorded by someone else's microphone and being processed through their recording software before being reproduced by your device playing it back through your speakers or headphones or whatever you're listening on and in fact it's really not at all how it's going to sound in real life.

99% of this hobby is just a rabbit hole of preference. But that's actually kind of the point. There is no endgame ultimate keyboard. The fun of keyboards as a hobby is actually going down that rabbit hole; trying different things and finding what you like. It's just a bunch of people experimenting with different things to achieve different results and determining if they like it or not. Much like people trying different combinations of pickups or electronics or effects on guitars to achive their "perfect tone." There's no right answer, just the answer that is right for you. That being said, there are definitely a lot of wrong answers and misinformation.
Very little of it actually has to do with actual functionality so bear that in mind and take every bit of "advice" or "review" you hear with a grain of salt.

I'd recommend starting on the cheaper end of switches: get some Gateron KS3's from Kinetic labs. Maybe some different weights of springs while you're there. Pick up a variety of switch films and some lube and just have fun modding switches. See how each of the little tweaks changes the feel/sound and assess if each change is sending you down a path that looks like it will lead to something you will ultimately enjoy, or if it might not be your preference.
Maybe spend some time hanging out in keyboard related discords (we have one too). Ask questions, see what people are talking about, get to know them and their preferences and objectives and understand not just what it is they are doing but why they are doing it.

When you do decide to buy another board the one most important piece of advice I can offer is, don't buy the hype. Try to understand what it is about that keyboard's design that makes it good and ultimately how you think it will perform based on the knowledge that you've gained. Lots of boards are just people making some sweet looking renders in CAD, making a board that is gasket mount because gasket mount is popular, not taking the time to develop a decent plate, throwing PC plates out there as an option for their hotswap board, and not actually doing any prototyping, or just prototyping to determine their chosen manufacturer's level of quality/finish rather than assess how their design works.

Also good advice, thank you.

I think ultimately I'm gonna wait until what I ordered comes in and in the meantime, get myself prepared with the tools I'll need to modify switches as it is. I dunno if I'm gonna get into PCBs and soldering anytime soon, at least not until I know EXACTLY what I am looking for, so getting a variety of switches to play around with seems like the best idea for the moment.

What's the discord link? I probably won't have a lot to say since I'm brand new to this stuff, but I'm sure I can lurk and glean information.

HappyCapybaraFamily
Sep 16, 2009

Roger Baolong Thunder Dragon has been fascinated by this sophisticated and scientifically beautiful industry since childhood, and has shown his talent in the design and manufacture of watches.

Framboise posted:

What's the discord link? I probably won't have a lot to say since I'm brand new to this stuff, but I'm sure I can lurk and glean information.

People other than me do much of the heavy lifting in providing info and content, but come join us :)

The Electronaut
May 10, 2009

GnarlyCharlie4u posted:

Bliss TKL didn't immediately sell out.
https://moeso.de/collections/bliss-gb/products/gb-bliss-tkl

not really my thing but I figured I'd pass it along since inquiries were recently made.

Wish you hadn't mentioned this, now I'm in another GB...

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

Proof
oh hey look a $200 CP Full size
https://www.velocifiretech.com/product/kk98-r2-keyboard-kit/

No QMK though, but it's how-swap so it could make a good entry level board.

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE
what are my options for a 104-key wireless keeb with mechanical switches (brown)? it would be nice if I could easily swap out individual switches if they started failing. Looking for good battery life as well (and not having response times so bad that they would be problematic for gaming)

I also have a logitech g400s (previously mx518) and would like to replace it with something similar as well, but probably separate is better so I can replace them independently

Paul MaudDib fucked around with this message at 17:50 on Mar 23, 2021

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Making you happy for a buck since 199X
As far as I know Keychron is still the only game in town for wireless mechanical keyboards, at least below the Obsessive Hobbyist price point.

interrodactyl
Nov 8, 2011

you have no dignity
GMMK Pro reviews are out:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q8dTDvBB2pU

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hS4czKl7WpQ

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q8dTDvBB2pU

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7kLDapkRDXM

https://youtu.be/_23j28Ue3Jw

https://youtu.be/SEsGlJpqYVA

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE

Eric the Mauve posted:

As far as I know Keychron is still the only game in town for wireless mechanical keyboards, at least below the Obsessive Hobbyist price point.

not thrilled about the forced move to TKL but I guess you do what you gotta. Put in an order for an aluminum backed RGB hotswap K8 with browns.

Paul MaudDib fucked around with this message at 20:14 on Mar 23, 2021

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

The K4 I think is a 100 key model. Not the standard full size format but it does have a numpad.

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE

Eric the Mauve posted:

The K4 I think is a 100 key model. Not the standard full size format but it does have a numpad.

I really loathe that "compressed" format though, if it's numpad or spacing between the main keys and the home island / arrow key island then I pick the spacing.

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

TKL and a separate numpad is probably the way to go here, then.

.Z.
Jan 12, 2008

Paul MaudDib posted:

not thrilled about the forced move to TKL but I guess you do what you gotta. Put in an order for an aluminum backed RGB model with browns.

Yeah you are going to have to make a choice of tradeoffs.

K4 - Hotswap, but bluetooth wireless and a 1800 layout so it's got 100 keys.
Majestouch Convertible - Full-size, but not hotswap and bluetooth wireless.
Logitech G613 - Full-size + Media and Macro keys and gaming wireless, but not hotswap and uses proprietary romer-g switch. No clue how it compares to mx brown.

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE
I really want hotswap. am I gonna be super unhappy with bluetooth wireless? I do have onboard bluetooth on my mobo although I rarely use it.

if it's 1ms vs .1ms then I guess who cares, as long as it's not perceptible.

llibja
Sep 13, 2007

I have a K4 hotswap and the bluetooth seems fine to me. I bought it for use in the office which has only been 3 days a week lately so I haven't had a ton of use on it yet but so far I like it. It only sits about a foot away from my laptop if that makes a difference.

anothergod
Apr 11, 2016

Anyone got ideas for wrist rests? I have a 10KL

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

Proof

Paul MaudDib posted:

I really want hotswap. am I gonna be super unhappy with bluetooth wireless? I do have onboard bluetooth on my mobo although I rarely use it.

I prefer bluetooth for wireless.
Dongles suck plus that whole spectrum is a mess as it is. So long as your computer isn't encased in lead and is less than like 30 feet away it'll be fine.

anothergod posted:

Anyone got ideas for wrist rests? I have a 10KL

I prefer wood, but there's also epoxy and polycarbonate options out there. I'm sure cushion/fabric wrist rests exist but I haven't used them and I'm not really interested so I can't be of help there.
Do you have a pricepoint and where are you located? Do you want something custom or just off the shelf?

GnarlyCharlie4u fucked around with this message at 21:46 on Mar 23, 2021

Gwaihir
Dec 8, 2009
Hair Elf

Paul MaudDib posted:

There are standalone hotswap wireless keypapds, but the price is around the zone of "actually the price of a full keyboard, too" https://epomaker.com/collections/all/products/epomaker-gk21s-kit

LionArcher
Mar 29, 2010

Eric the Mauve posted:

I have watched two youtube videos that say this brand is pretty good, and I really like the style.

https://iqunix.store/collections/80-series/products/iqunix-l80-formula-typing-wireless-mechanical-keyboard?variant=32620690178108

LionArcher
Mar 29, 2010

While I'm tempted by that new keyboard everyone is hyping because it has the wheel, I just made what I consider to be my final form keyboard and I'm very, very happy with it after switch testing a ton of keyboards.

I went with the Durgod K320, and upgraded the keycaps to Matcha PBT. I'm very happy with it. (with Cherry Browns which I also love, after avoiding them because of here and Reddit talking poo poo about them.)

TacticalHoodie
May 7, 2007

If I didn't have to replace my headphones, I would grab one. Oh well there is always later in the year.

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE

Eric the Mauve posted:

just for my info, what are the Obsessive Hobbyist options?

LionArcher
Mar 29, 2010

Paul MaudDib posted:

just for my info, what are the Obsessive Hobbyist options?

Mid level there's also these guys.

https://iqunix.store/collections/iqunix-all-products

Femur
Jan 10, 2004
I REALLY NEED TO SHUT THE FUCK UP
Does anyone have experience with the Dark Matter by Monoprice Aether Optical Mechanical Gaming Keyboard?

I want to replace my G710 cherry brown keyboard because it's a little too large to my new desk.

Head Bee Guy
Jun 12, 2011

Retarded for Busting
Grimey Drawer
Any wooden wrist rest vendors on etsy that people like?

BGrifter
Mar 16, 2007

Winner of Something Awful PS5 thread's Posting Excellence Award June 2022

Congratulations!
Keychron K12 60% keyboard is up on Kickstarter. Went live at 6am and four hours later it’s 80% of its way to its “funding goal”. Keyboards set to ship in May.

I’m in for an aluminum frame RGB hotswap version! :woop:

http://kck.st/3lNFlio

anothergod
Apr 11, 2016

GnarlyCharlie4u posted:

I prefer bluetooth for wireless.
Dongles suck plus that whole spectrum is a mess as it is. So long as your computer isn't encased in lead and is less than like 30 feet away it'll be fine.

I prefer wood, but there's also epoxy and polycarbonate options out there. I'm sure cushion/fabric wrist rests exist but I haven't used them and I'm not really interested so I can't be of help there.
Do you have a pricepoint and where are you located? Do you want something custom or just off the shelf?

I'm getting old, and I don't want to have carpal tunnel. I also don't want to learn how to not lean my wrists on things. So that's where I'm at. I am tempted to get a leather wrist rest, but also I have shiny keys. I was thinking leather, but most of the leather wrist rests I saw looked cheap

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?
Isn't the prevailing opinion that wrist rests are bad for your wrists (unless you're not actually wresting your wrists on them)?

Ziploc
Sep 19, 2006
MX-5

LionArcher posted:

I have watched two youtube videos that say this brand is pretty good, and I really like the style.

https://iqunix.store/collections/80-series/products/iqunix-l80-formula-typing-wireless-mechanical-keyboard?variant=32620690178108

Also look at Royal Kludge. They have lots of 3 mode (BT/Dongle/Wired) keyboards with hot swap. I have two of them.

SkyeAuroline
Nov 12, 2020

Rinkles posted:

Isn't the prevailing opinion that wrist rests are bad for your wrists (unless you're not actually wresting your wrists on them)?

Pretty much. I use a palm rest for my left hand at home and I'm likely to start using one for both hands soon at work, but that's literally "palm resting over it with as much pressure as laying the hand flat on a table", so a whole lot less nerve trouble. It's been helpful at home, at least.

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

Proof

Rinkles posted:

yup.

anothergod posted:

I'm getting old, and I don't want to have carpal tunnel. I also don't want to learn how to not lean my wrists on things. So that's where I'm at. I am tempted to get a leather wrist rest, but also I have shiny keys. I was thinking leather, but most of the leather wrist rests I saw looked cheap

You don't want a wrist rest. You want a whole fuckin forearm rest if you're trying to prevent wrist strain.
A block of wood alone won't prevent carpal tunnel. You need proper posture and typing position. Low profile keyboards are a good start. Alice style or ergo keyboards that allow your elbows to stick out and shoulders to stay apart while retaining a natural wrist position are a huge upgrade.

however if you're too stubborn to do any of the aforementioned then just get a big fat gel filled one from Staples or something.

BGrifter posted:

Keychron K12 60% keyboard is up on Kickstarter. Went live at 6am and four hours later it’s 80% of its way to its “funding goal”. Keyboards set to ship in May.

I’m in for an aluminum frame RGB hotswap version! :woop:

http://kck.st/3lNFlio

They also mentioned they're working on QMK

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE
got my K8 an hour go and already having issues with lag/repeating keystrokes on my NUC (over bluetooth). I'll try it on my work laptop and my gaming rig but it's not looking good :smith:

(it's actually glitched like 3-4 times just typing this. my NUC is only about three feet away. :( Trying to re-pair it and see how that goes.)

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

Proof

Paul MaudDib posted:

got my K8 an hour go and already having issues with lag/repeating keystrokes on my NUC (over bluetooth). I'll try it on my work laptop and my gaming rig but it's not looking good :smith:

(it's actually glitched like 3-4 times just typing this. my NUC is only about three feet away. :( Trying to re-pair it and see how that goes.)

plug it into usb and use it that way until it's fully charged.
then freshly pair it.

Stroop There It Is
Mar 11, 2012

:gengar::gengar::gengar::gengar::gengar:
:stroop: :gaysper: :stroop:
:gengar::gengar::gengar::gengar::gengar:

As someone with an ergonomically suboptimal setup (i.e., have a wrist rest because my desk has a keyboard tray and putting a wrist rest there was the best option with the rest of how it's set up), I like my Grifiti fat wrist rest, the "smooth skin" one feels quite nice. I'm not a ghoul, though, so I am pro smoothskin. :dumbrim:

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE

GnarlyCharlie4u posted:

plug it into usb and use it that way until it's fully charged.
then freshly pair it.

I plugged it into power right away but I'm running it in BT mode since that's how I'll use it. I can certainly repair it once it's charged though.

I actually flashed the firmware and that seems to have fixed it for now. We'll see how it goes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheFluff
Dec 13, 2006

FRIENDS, LISTEN TO ME
I AM A SEAGULL
OF WEALTH AND TASTE
money cannot buy bluetooth that actually works reliably. you'll be having pairing issues, dropouts and various gremlins from now until forever. that's just how bluetooth is and you're best off accepting your fate now. for something like a pair of headphones this may be acceptable (if you don't care about the several hundred millisecond delay that bluetooth audio usually has) but for a keyboard it'd drive me bonkers in a matter of weeks. we had bluetooth keyboards at work for years, so I had to learn this the hard way.

logitech's dongles that operate on the 2.4 ghz band do actually work in my experience, but I've never had more than one device at a time and the dongle has never been more than maybe 20 cm from the device (call that maybe a foot, for US peeps).