Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

mysterious loyall X
Jul 8, 2003

Knuc U Kinte posted:

I will never play a persona game again

Good idea

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

SaGa told me to make a new save in a different slot with SIX exclamation points so I may have actually reached the conclusion to my journey. this game hasn't had a plot for the last half lol

Fungah!
Apr 30, 2011

In Training posted:

SaGa told me to make a new save in a different slot with SIX exclamation points so I may have actually reached the conclusion to my journey. this game hasn't had a plot for the last half lol

you should feel lucky you got as much as you did lol, romancing 3 you dont find out theres a plot until the last boss

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Fungah! posted:

you should feel lucky you got as much as you did lol, romancing 3 you dont find out theres a plot until the last boss

I beat it and started NG+ with a different character and his story explains why the final boss was a bad guy lol. Never introduced to the guy until about 3 hours before I killed him and became god in my first playthrough.

I'm gonna read a bunch of gamefaqs about this game it's super fascinating how much stuff is in it. one of the things you unlock in NG+ is a fast battle speed, along with hyper speed on the world map. Maybe I'll just beat it 4 times...

Fungah!
Apr 30, 2011

In Training posted:

I beat it and started NG+ with a different character and his story explains why the final boss was a bad guy lol.

lmfao gently caress yeah. kawazu forever

Kull the Conqueror
Apr 8, 2006

Take me to the green valley,
lay the sod o'er me,
I'm a young cowboy,
I know I've done wrong
boogying down in FF7r at the honeybee club made me miss Sylvando...

an actual dog
Nov 18, 2014

musclebusiness posted:

i picked up tales of vesperia: definitive edition for my first crack at a "tales of" game. i think the consensus is that this is one of the better game in the series? I'm near the end of the story, and it's been a bit of a drag the whole time. you'll enter a town, watch a scene in which the party decides to go to the inn to discuss their next plan, go to the inn and watch that scene, the party will disband and you'll have to find each individual member to speak with for additional scenes, then as you leave town you'll watch yet another scene... but i'm just a sucker for jrpgs becuase I'm absolutely going to finish this and maybe play another

I didn't like Vesperia and I don't think I like Tales games in general but I had an extremely good time with Tales of Berseria. It's mostly because the writing is really good, but everything else is pretty good too.

ROBO_ERECTUS
Sep 5, 2007

Let me take you for a ride.
Wondering when Labyrinth of Galleria is finally getting localized, Labyrinth of Refrain was pretty sick, really scratched that dungeon crawler itch. Anyone got any dungeon diving recommendations?

Metallia
Sep 17, 2014

the Etrian Odyssey games are all worth playing for first person dungeoning. you can play every game on a 3DS; there's remakes of the first two (iirc all they do is add a story mode with set units instead of a customizable party. you don't have to play the story mode, tho).

i really like Shin Megami Tensei: Strange Journey as well. There's a remake of it for the 3DS too. If you end up liking those, SMT4 and SMT4: Apocolypse arent first person but they're both good + have some good dungeon delving. Persona Q is a first person game but is sorta iffy quality wise. should scratch the itch though

dark spire is a bit more obscure so you'll probably have to emulate it but i remember really liking it at the time

i haven't played Zanki Zero: Last Beginning but its decently well reviewed and seems fun in a weird chunsoft way.

mysterious loyall X
Jul 8, 2003

ROBO_ERECTUS posted:

Wondering when Labyrinth of Galleria is finally getting localized, Labyrinth of Refrain was pretty sick, really scratched that dungeon crawler itch. Anyone got any dungeon diving recommendations?

play the wizardry games starting from 1 on an apple ii

ROBO_ERECTUS
Sep 5, 2007

Let me take you for a ride.
Oh right, I for sure have an Apple II lying around somewhere.

I played through SMT 4 and got went Chaos. Good poo poo, waiting on Nocturne remaster and SMT 5.

Heard alot of good things about Etrian Odyssey, I'll give it a shot.

trying to jack off
Dec 31, 2007

ROBO_ERECTUS posted:

Oh right, I for sure have an Apple II lying around somewhere.

I played through SMT 4 and got went Chaos. Good poo poo, waiting on Nocturne remaster and SMT 5.

Heard alot of good things about Etrian Odyssey, I'll give it a shot.

you could use an emulator

trying to jack off
Dec 31, 2007

but respect for preferring original hardware, the old gaming alliance may have a new member...

Daikatana Ritsu
Aug 1, 2008

Etrian Odyssey is great. I'd say 4 or EO Nexus are good starting points, but since those are the only 2 I've played I could be wrong. Nexus is kind of a mash up of all the previous games best classes rolled into 1 massive game, it's awesome

GorfZaplen
Jan 20, 2012

I've fallen back into Morrowind

GorfZaplen
Jan 20, 2012

I'm going at it completely vanilla and unmodded because I was looking at all the fix mods and stuff and all the weird crap you have to do and started to get a wicked headache.

Bolverkur
Aug 9, 2012

GorfZaplen posted:

I've fallen back into Morrowind

gently caress yes

Sivek
Nov 12, 2012

GorfZaplen posted:

I'm going at it completely vanilla and unmodded because I was looking at all the fix mods and stuff and all the weird crap you have to do and started to get a wicked headache.

At least use the morrowind code patch. It's super useful with quality of life stuff and easy to install. Finished a playthrough about a month ago and it is by far the best Bethesda game still.

It's crazy that there's been a longer passage of time between Skyrim releasing and now than there was between Morrowind and Skyrim.

Item Getter
Dec 14, 2015
Nexus is not really very good, and has by far the most playable classes (from the previous games) right from the start so I think it would be confusing for people who haven't played the previous games.
I would say EO 4 is the best starting point to the series, with 5 being a close second.
All of the EO games on 3DS have free demos that carry over to the full game.

Metallia
Sep 17, 2014

All the EO games absolutely own but yeah depending on what features you like it's easy to draw favorites. Nexus has the most potential to get wild with the class combos but the references will be absolutely lost on you if you try to play it first since it's meant as a bit of a send off to the series being on the 3DS. 4 has probably the weakest storyline in my opinion but there's a lot of people that don't care about that since they're all pretty weak.

3 has the powerful aesthetic and maps, imo. 25F in 3 is still one of my favorite zones in a video game

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

GorfZaplen posted:

this is what has stopped me from ever playing oblivion again, like unless i dig up my old pc with the mods already installed, it's not worth the headache of trying to install the UI mod and the leveling mod and house map markers and the unofficial patch and everything. i missed morrowind, but my understanding is that it's a lot easier to play unmodded. i'll get to it one day. i don't think it'll hard to go backwards because i actually played a lot of Arena after playing Skyrim and it was sort of fun.

Fungah!
Apr 30, 2011

ths is the same reason i'll probably never play bg2 again, i love the game but the enhanced edition seems like hot wet bullshit and spending three hours modding it to get the ui and text boxes and stuff fixed just blows

GorfZaplen
Jan 20, 2012

Yeah...this is gaming :cool:

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

Bread has no effect on you.

Arrhythmia
Jul 22, 2011

teppichporsche
May 11, 2019

Fungah!
Apr 30, 2011

herculon
Sep 7, 2018

GorfZaplen
Jan 20, 2012

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

Lol

mysterious loyall X
Jul 8, 2003

Fungah! posted:

ths is the same reason i'll probably never play bg2 again, i love the game but the enhanced edition seems like hot wet bullshit and spending three hours modding it to get the ui and text boxes and stuff fixed just blows

Also rtwp games are rear end with aids

mysterious loyall X
Jul 8, 2003

You can modify the combat to nit be based on psycjo ad&d rules in bg2 enhanced and turn off the (sort of) permadeath spells like imprison. And then you're free to revel in the worst part of any given bioware and or black isle game: 300 hours of atrocious writing!

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

AverySpecialfriend
Jul 8, 2017

by Hand Knit

GorfZaplen
Jan 20, 2012

mysterious loyall X posted:

It's cool bioware invented the worst gameplay of all time because they were too lazy to make a turn based d&d game just like every d&d game ever made to that point for the last 30 years and decided to use the rts engine they had lying around instead

Fartlancer
Nov 18, 2003
how can anyone hate bioware games with moments like this
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z3ZUAc32cAQ

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

GorfZaplen posted:

It's cool bioware invented the worst gameplay of all time because they were too lazy to make a turn based d&d game just like every d&d game ever made to that point for the last 30 years and decided to use the rts engine they had lying around instead
fondly remembering how this hacked-up abjectly miserable mode of play inexplicably took off and if you made a turn-based CRPG at any point in the following 15 years you were ridiculed as a No Mutants Allowed bigot grognard nazi

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

picked up dq11 again. this is my 4th time. basically in gaming heaven. its perfect

40 lbs to freedom
Apr 13, 2007

mysterious loyall X posted:

i started playing planescape torment to try and scratch the disco elysium itch and i would love to yell and scream at whoever decided to put regenerating auto-aggro enemies and dice roll combat in this story game for literally no benefit or reason.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

really impressed with the autobattle in dq11. they cook up strategies like buffing the best attackers and usually use the best moves, they also go ALL loving in on metal slimes if they ever pop up, it's a lot of fun watching my squad do their best