Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Catgirl Al Capone
Dec 15, 2007

had the time to finish the game on the normal route and wow they really backloaded those feelings huh

looked it up and somehow I managed to get what's considered the "best" ending just making choices that felt right at the time and probably missing a bunch of content, were there any requirements aside from trying to save basil at every opportunity then following fake basil in the hospital?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

really queer Christmas
Apr 22, 2014

CYBEReris posted:

had the time to finish the game on the normal route and wow they really backloaded those feelings huh

looked it up and somehow I managed to get what's considered the "best" ending just making choices that felt right at the time and probably missing a bunch of content, were there any requirements aside from trying to save basil at every opportunity then following fake basil in the hospital?

ENDING SPOILERS: Did you also water basil's garden at least three separate times? That gets you an extra post credits scene. Also, the only requirement for that ending is choosing to go into Basil's room after learning the truth and then selecting continue after fighting Omori.

You don't have to follow fake Basil in the hospital, if you follow the kids they'll try and go out the window and sunny will refuse to follow them.

Catgirl Al Capone
Dec 15, 2007

really queer Christmas posted:

ENDING SPOILERS: Did you also water basil's garden at least three separate times? That gets you an extra post credits scene. Also, the only requirement for that ending is choosing to go into Basil's room after learning the truth and then selecting continue after fighting Omori.

You don't have to follow fake Basil in the hospital, if you follow the kids they'll try and go out the window and sunny will refuse to follow them.

If you mean where they smile at each other as their somethings fade away, yeah.

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

https://twitter.com/_omocat/status/1372971895138578438

Venuz Patrol
Mar 27, 2011
wow thats kinda shameless to wear a shirt with your own face on it

Relin
Oct 6, 2002

You have been a most worthy adversary, but in every game, there are winners and there are losers. And as you know, in this game, losers get robotizicized!
wow this dino dig minigame is trash. 3 20 try runs in a row with 2x no key and 1 on 20th dig

who ever enjoys minigames in rpgs

hughesta
Jun 12, 2012

i know its super duper kooper
cool like up the bitches snitches

Relin posted:

wow this dino dig minigame is trash. 3 20 try runs in a row with 2x no key and 1 on 20th dig

who ever enjoys minigames in rpgs
getting a key keeps it in your inventory, so just hold onto one and skip the first room on your next attempt

Weird BIAS
Jul 5, 2007

so... guess that's it, huh? just... don't say i didn't warn you.
Everybody went onto OMOCAT's site specifically to get the Aubrey SMASH t shirt and I'm mad because it sold out at 6:05 just as it took me to complete the sale.

At least I am getting the Mari shirt.

Relin
Oct 6, 2002

You have been a most worthy adversary, but in every game, there are winners and there are losers. And as you know, in this game, losers get robotizicized!
while i haven't yet played the hikki route yet, after finishing the normal route i think the game world have been better if the headspace and real world bits alone were completely separate, each in a route. you'd need to flesh out sunny's despair a little but I don't think losing the headspace segments would hurt much, because mari receives plenty of characterization in the real world and lead up to the good/bad ending choice to still give an emotional impact. it would also make redoing headspace content less of a slog.

i'd say jimmy and the pulsating mass does a better job at what omori is trying to do in terms of telling a tragic story and blending real and imagined people.

Cephas
May 11, 2009

Humanity's real enemy is me!
Hya hya foowah!
Yeah, my one real wish for the game is for a Nier Automata style chapter select so you can go and explore Faraway Town's side content without having to replay the game a 3rd time if you missed anything the first time around.

Weird BIAS posted:

Everybody went onto OMOCAT's site specifically to get the Aubrey SMASH t shirt and I'm mad because it sold out at 6:05 just as it took me to complete the sale.

At least I am getting the Mari shirt.

That shirt was too powerful for this world. I ended up just buying a postcard to hang up on my bulletin board.

Tired Moritz
Mar 25, 2012

wish Lowtax would get tired of YOUR POSTS

(n o i c e)

Relin posted:

while i haven't yet played the hikki route yet, after finishing the normal route i think the game world have been better if the headspace and real world bits alone were completely separate, each in a route. you'd need to flesh out sunny's despair a little but I don't think losing the headspace segments would hurt much, because mari receives plenty of characterization in the real world and lead up to the good/bad ending choice to still give an emotional impact. it would also make redoing headspace content less of a slog.

i'd say jimmy and the pulsating mass does a better job at what omori is trying to do in terms of telling a tragic story and blending real and imagined people.

Is Omori that much of a tragic story? Seems like a happy end compared to Jimmy's ending.

Relin
Oct 6, 2002

i think it's unrealistic to think aubrey and hero will forgive sunny, and his parents finding out will also distance them from him. basil who is left behind will also receive hate for covering it up for four years. i know the game implies friendship will trump all, but a lot of that is just sunny's imagination. the "leave" ending probably causes less overall additional suffering, despite basil's suicide.

Venuz Patrol
Mar 27, 2011

Relin posted:

i think it's unrealistic to think aubrey and hero will forgive sunny, and his parents finding out will also distance them from him. basil who is left behind will also receive hate for covering it up for four years. i know the game implies friendship will trump all, but a lot of that is just sunny's imagination. the "leave" ending probably causes less overall additional suffering, despite basil's suicide.

that's insane to think that after playing through everything in the last day of faraway town

really queer Christmas
Apr 22, 2014

Relin posted:

Ending spoilers:

Kel will bring them together. There will be anger, there will be sadness... but I think Kel's naievte and general sense of right and wrong will eventually have Hero forgive Sunny and Aubrey will do the same. I think Aubrey will be upset with Basil but likely call it even since she's been treating him like poo poo for years - which she admits was hosed up. And basil will similarly push her to forgive Sunny, who he still clearly idolizes. Not saying it will be easy, or that it happens in days or weeks... but they will eventually forgive and love.

Sunnys parents already know. It's implied that's why the dad left and the mom says "I lost my only daughter... and you... you're my only son. I can't lose you both."

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

Relin posted:

sunny's parents are strongly implied to already know (which is why his dad left them), and any potential hatred/grudges would be mitigated by the fact that they were thirteen or fourteen years old at the time. hero is the one who'd probably hold onto his grudge the hardest but he's also compelled to be the sensible adult of the group and his brother is the most sentimental dope out of all of them, so he'd cave eventually

things will never be the same between them, but that was inevitable anyway, and what turned basil into such a neurotic wreck - he was psychologically dependent on the group remaining the same as always, which is why he went to such extreme ends to deflect blame from sunny, and when he gets hit with the one-two punch of his grandmother's sickness going terminal and sunny moving away it fully breaks him if he's not confronted. it's better for everyone involved if the truth is confronted and that band-aid is ripped off

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
I consider it an unambiguously happy ending because the whole thrust of the story is to get to the point where Sunny is willing to admit it, for his own personal wellbeing if nothing else. It's why the first time you ever see him emote is waking up in the hospital room and why that's such a big deal. Whatever happens after that is almost immaterial, maybe they will forgive him or at least find a way to work through it, or they won't and the group is broken again, but the actual story isn't really about that.

Relin
Oct 6, 2002

I missed the father having left already, so that does change things a bit. And I do get that last bit, Nate RFB

Ventana
Mar 28, 2010

*Yosh intensifies*
I can't contribute much to the current convo but just wanted to share that I love this little animatic (maybe its old but still good)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kETRLObba9g

Catgirl Al Capone
Dec 15, 2007

Relin posted:

Of all the characters I would think Aubrey would be one of the first/most likely to forgive him as she has very recent experience with causing an eerily similar near-fatal accident and is therefore aware of the extreme pressure and weight of the resulting guilt, if not as much as if they hadn't been very lucky with Hero's timing.

Cephas
May 11, 2009

Humanity's real enemy is me!
Hya hya foowah!
I think the thing that really moves me when I think about the story and its characters is how strong and deep everyone's love for each other is, and how much pain they're all in from not being able to be together. I almost feel like, i can't say it's unrealistic to think that everyone will forgive Sunny. You could say that in real life, in a circumstance like theirs, it would be unrealistic. But in the world of Omori, I have to believe that it's realistic that they'd forgive each other--that it's the most natural thing for them to do, because they seem to be yearning so strongly to be a family again. But I am a very sappy person.

Ash Rose
Sep 3, 2011

Where is Megaman?

In queer, with us!
Well this was an exercise in masochism, but still, gives a good sense of closure to things.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Catgirl Al Capone
Dec 15, 2007

Cephas posted:

I think the thing that really moves me when I think about the story and its characters is how strong and deep everyone's love for each other is, and how much pain they're all in from not being able to be together. I almost feel like, i can't say it's unrealistic to think that everyone will forgive Sunny. You could say that in real life, in a circumstance like theirs, it would be unrealistic. But in the world of Omori, I have to believe that it's realistic that they'd forgive each other--that it's the most natural thing for them to do, because they seem to be yearning so strongly to be a family again. But I am a very sappy person.

When you're having the sleepover at Basil's place you can look at Sunny's friends before confronting Basil and the descriptions are clearly from Sunny's perspective and are incredibly loving. I think you get the sense there more than anywhere else of who Sunny really is as a person underneath the trauma and I choose to believe strongly that his friends already know this.

Acerbatus
Jun 26, 2020

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Slime Girls... Are good.

Weird BIAS
Jul 5, 2007

so... guess that's it, huh? just... don't say i didn't warn you.
My Mari shirt and postcard came in from the OMOCAT shop. Gotta say I like them. Some nice touches too like the label itself has the white space lightbulb on it. Also, have to say that the hidden SOMETHING sticker in the postcard envelope was a nice touch that made me cackle.

Hamethyst
Apr 2, 2019

Holy crap this game is so good. I played the normal route and got the good ending, but I'd really like to see what happens in the Hikikomori route. That said, I'm not sure I'm actually up for playing it again. I see lots of let's plays, but many of them seem to include a looooot of chaotic commentary that takes away from the game. Any suggestions?

Hamethyst fucked around with this message at 21:38 on May 7, 2021

Ventana
Mar 28, 2010

*Yosh intensifies*

Hamethyst posted:

Holy crap this game is so good. I played the normal route and got the good ending, but I'd really like to see what happens in the Hikikomori route. That said, I'm not sure I'm actually up for playing it again. I see lots of let's plays, but many of them seem to include a looooot of chaotic commentary that takes away from the game. Any suggestions?

Late response but I saw this video out there and I thought it was pretty decent. It covers a lot of the content that most people would care about. It does miss several things (one of them kinda big imo) but it was the best thing I found that didn't have voice.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EsrNZT3no8A

Hamethyst
Apr 2, 2019

Ventana posted:

Late response but I saw this video out there and I thought it was pretty decent. It covers a lot of the content that most people would care about. It does miss several things (one of them kinda big imo) but it was the best thing I found that didn't have voice.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EsrNZT3no8A

Excellent, thank you so much!

Forsythia
Jan 28, 2007

You want bad advice?

Anything is okay if you don't get caught!

... I hope this helps!
I'm late to the party on this one, but I finished it. Glad I went in mostly blind. Usually when I enjoy a short to moderate length game I like to launch straight into a New Game + or new save file if available, but for now I'm staying my hand. I'm both wanting to experience the things I missed, and dreading some of it at the same time.

The RPG elements felt truncated, but I understand why. They're just a distraction, after all. If Sunny chooses to invest his time and energy into reality, it makes sense that Headspace grinds to a halt with a whimper and not a bang. No need for superbosses, big endgame quests, ultimate equipment, or new areas if he reaches that conclusion.

Forsythia
Jan 28, 2007

You want bad advice?

... I hope this helps!
Alright, I hate to bump a thread like this, but I have a request. Do you guys know of complete (or ongoing, likely to be completed) video Let's Plays of the "standard" campaign of this game that handle the subject matter tactfully and don't smother it in bad commentary?

I want a friend of mine to experience this game. Having witnessed everything in Omori has lit a fire in me and it's going to lead to good things. I wonder if he can get something similar out of it. Normally I'd just buy it for him, but he is so lethargic from his depression that he can't muster the will and energy to even play video games. (I'm getting some déjà vu...:thunk:) So, a video Let's Play is the next best thing. (I checked to see if he was game for a 20 hour video Let's Play with this content: he is.)

Ash Rose
Sep 3, 2011

Where is Megaman?

In queer, with us!
Voiceofdog has a great one on YouTube.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Hamethyst posted:

I think the Let's Play trend I hate more than any other is "the LP-er reading all the dialogue." Apparently the viewers really like that, though; I was watching this one where the comment section was full of people like "your voice acting is so good!" and I was confused because the guy in the video just sounded like any random guy attempting to poorly imitate dialogue.

Polderjoch
Jun 27, 2019

May the sacred flame guide me... Or something like that.

Mizuti posted:

Alright, I hate to bump a thread like this, but I have a request. Do you guys know of complete (or ongoing, likely to be completed) video Let's Plays of the "standard" campaign of this game that handle the subject matter tactfully and don't smother it in bad commentary?

I want a friend of mine to experience this game. Having witnessed everything in Omori has lit a fire in me and it's going to lead to good things. I wonder if he can get something similar out of it. Normally I'd just buy it for him, but he is so lethargic from his depression that he can't muster the will and energy to even play video games. (I'm getting some déjà vu...:thunk:) So, a video Let's Play is the next best thing. (I checked to see if he was game for a 20 hour video Let's Play with this content: he is.)

Honestly, you could also try to play through it yourself and stream it for them? Lets the two of you discuss it and the subject matter in real time as well which I found was significantly more impactful than a Let's Play for the people I've played it for as well. If that isn't feasible then that's understandable ofc but I feel like something more personable might be better than scouring for an LP and watching it alone, personally.

Ventana
Mar 28, 2010

*Yosh intensifies*

Mizuti posted:

Are longplays out of the question? I understand the feelings of depressing hurting motivation to play games, and usually I was fine with longplays myself in that situation but I get it if things are different for your friend. They're my go-to "I want to see/show off this game but without people talking over it to ruin it" option.

I've used this one for showing people the normal route and it's seemed good to me so far.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lZMVxz2CDnM

Forsythia
Jan 28, 2007

You want bad advice?

... I hope this helps!

Polderjoch posted:

Honestly, you could also try to play through it yourself and stream it for them? Lets the two of you discuss it and the subject matter in real time as well which I found was significantly more impactful than a Let's Play for the people I've played it for as well. If that isn't feasible then that's understandable ofc but I feel like something more personable might be better than scouring for an LP and watching it alone, personally.
You know what? I normally abhor the idea of being the one streaming, but this actually might be the best way.

Edit: As long as I'm here I'm going to say why this game struck me so much.

It's not just a story of a person overcoming depression. Omori's not done there. Sunny is allowed at fail at multiple critical points which radically change the trajectory of the story. He can fail the very first hurdle and you are allowed to fully explore that rabbit hole. Sunny is also allowed to fail two separate critical hurdles at the end after he's done everything "correctly" up to that point. Even in the best outcome possible, the margin between him prevailing or succumbing is razor-thin, and that tension is palpable.

I was wondering if the most positive ending was all I needed to get out of this game. Having gone down all available paths I can now answer with an emphatic "no". The way Omori is structured -- letting you explore both success and failure at challenging the same person's depression -- resonates with me. It lets you feel both the catharsis of finally helping him find closure and the heartbreak of watching him drown when you know he is capable of so much more. You proved that his problem isn't irreconcilable, but he sure as hell doesn't know that.

Building Sunny up feels far more meaningful after you see what happens when Sunny is allowed to tear himself down.

(I'm not going to lead with this with my friend, of course. That's way too heavy. This part of it can wait for later.)

Forsythia fucked around with this message at 21:08 on Jun 22, 2021

Polderjoch
Jun 27, 2019

May the sacred flame guide me... Or something like that.

Mizuti posted:

You know what? I normally abhor the idea of being the one streaming, but this actually might be the best way.

Edit: As long as I'm here I'm going to say why this game struck me so much.

It's not just a story of a person overcoming depression. Omori's not done there. Sunny is allowed at fail at multiple critical points which radically change the trajectory of the story. He can fail the very first hurdle and you are allowed to fully explore that rabbit hole. Sunny is also allowed to fail two separate critical hurdles at the end after he's done everything "correctly" up to that point. Even in the best outcome possible, the margin between him prevailing or succumbing is razor-thin, and that tension is palpable.

I was wondering if the most positive ending was all I needed to get out of this game. Having gone down all available paths I can now answer with an emphatic "no". The way Omori is structured -- letting you explore both success and failure at challenging the same person's depression -- resonates with me. It lets you feel both the catharsis of finally helping him find closure and the heartbreak of watching him drown when you know he is capable of so much more. You proved that his problem isn't irreconcilable, but he sure as hell doesn't know that.

Building Sunny up feels far more meaningful after you see what happens when Sunny is allowed to tear himself down.

(I'm not going to lead with this with my friend, of course. That's way too heavy. This part of it can wait for later.)

Nah, definitely would be better to share these thoughts when they become relevant or after you've played the game once; I found simply going through and discussing, and then having a longer recap and discussion about the game worked for the people I streamed for, but up to your discretion ofc. I'm also usually not a big fan of streaming myself but for something that's meant to be personal between friends it definitely helped, I think.

I very much agree with your reasons as for why the game struck such a chord with me as well; being able to see Sunny's life get turned around and arguably being the "obvious" way to play through the game is cathartic, but seeing how many ways he can choose not to improve or do these things and see how it can still turn out to be a complete failure is very powerful.

In general the game does a very good job at making you know that there's an obvious, correct way to proceed and to hopefully improve things, but making it just obfuscated enough that doing the wrong thing can still feel like the only option you have, if not downright an appealing one (eg. the mewo room either making you feel relief at being able to stab yourself to get out as opposed to cutting open mewo, or making you feel like poo poo and that the only way out still is stabbing yourself).

Forsythia
Jan 28, 2007

You want bad advice?

... I hope this helps!
I've gone ahead with streaming with my friend and I'm making good time. I know exactly where to go and what content goes interesting places, and that cuts down the time investment. Think I'm going to skip the majority of the side content in town because it tends to be dry, have triggers that are annoying to find, and go on for a bit too long. Weakest part of the game by far, IMO. I absolutely set aside some time to show him the incredible pizza delivery chicken scratch instructions though.

Do you guys think it's worth finding the triggers to activate The Recyclopath in that section of the game? That was something I missed, so I have no idea how long it goes on for or how much healing item hoarding it needs.

Polderjoch posted:

In general the game does a very good job at making you know that there's an obvious, correct way to proceed and to hopefully improve things, but making it just obfuscated enough that doing the wrong thing can still feel like the only option you have, if not downright an appealing one (eg. the mewo room either making you feel relief at being able to stab yourself to get out as opposed to cutting open mewo, or making you feel like poo poo and that the only way out still is stabbing yourself).
That situation is probably the dirtiest trick a video game's ever played on me. It's ultimately of no real consequence, but drat does it sting! I'm debating what I should do when I get my friend to that part. On one hand it's unforgettable, but on the other it might just be too cruel to go through the whole sequence. In general I'm conflicted on how I should handle the Black Space section. There's a lot of neat optional details and I know how to find them, but he might just wanna get out of there after I do the minimum to progress. On the other hand, he loved digging into all the weird and hidden content in Undertale and this scratches some of that same itch... Guess we'll cross that bridge when we get there!

really queer Christmas
Apr 22, 2014

The recyclopath fight kinda sucks and requires some good luck or playing super defensively. You can lose it and it still counts as completed if you just want to go through the dungeon - you just don't get the achievement if you care about that. The dungeon is the only thing worth seeing anyway.

The town stuff is worth it for the flowers imo. Seeing all those flowers is... a really nice feeling.

Forsythia
Jan 28, 2007

You want bad advice?

... I hope this helps!
Oh. That sounds bad since I'm not going to bother looking for seashells or getting income for healing items. If simply getting in there and seeing the unique art is the main attraction, I guess I'll just poke my head in there when I can and settle for the comedy option of macing Aubrey and the gang.

Normally I'm a completionist type that would try for all the flowers, but man, I really don't enjoy most of the optional content in that area. Something about it feels at odds with the story and tone of the game itself. I refuse to believe a teenager that's spent 4 years isolating and starving himself has the patience, energy and inquisitiveness to talk to all these strangers and do all these chores for them. Sunny being game for the bare minimum mandatory content in town after he leaves the house is a huge stretch to begin with. I wish that increasing his comfort level was a more gradual process, but I'm guessing the pacing of everything else meant expediting things. Anyways, I'll save doing this stuff properly for an achievement run on my own time.

Tired Moritz
Mar 25, 2012

wish Lowtax would get tired of YOUR POSTS

(n o i c e)

Mizuti posted:

Normally I'm a completionist type that would try for all the flowers, but man, I really don't enjoy most of the optional content in that area. Something about it feels at odds with the story and tone of the game itself. I refuse to believe a teenager that's spent 4 years isolating and starving himself has the patience, energy and inquisitiveness to talk to all these strangers and do all these chores for them. Sunny being game for the bare minimum mandatory content in town after he leaves the house is a huge stretch to begin with. I wish that increasing his comfort level was a more gradual process, but I'm guessing the pacing of everything else meant expediting things. Anyways, I'll save doing this stuff properly for an achievement run on my own time.

that's kinda the point though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

A thought occurred to me watching Voice of Dog's LP

The lines spoken by the Somethings in the phobia sequences. "It's not as scary as you think." "It seems like there's a lot going on... you just need to learn to block out the little things and focus."

...Are these all advice that Mari gave him in preparation for the recital?