Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

big scary monsters
Sep 2, 2011

-~Skullwave~-

Guavanaut posted:

I like Anglish as a concept but I worry that the community of people who care too much about it are going to be turboracists, like the very bad types of pagans who want everything back to before 'Judeo-Christianity' rather than the good types of pagans who like cool art and trees (and I know there's unfortunately some overlap there). I hope I'm wrong about that.
I want to link to a marginally related thread with some nice and not racist pagans/heathens on these very forums because I've found it interesting to read and have learned some cool things from it: Ask/Tell › Yes, the God-king crossdresses: Ask us about Norse Heathenry!
The OP is Danish and has been very open to stupid questions about their beliefs including what the deal is with all those Nazis with rune tattoos, and there are also a few other regular contributors who I think are mostly North American. They've been specifically discussing anti-Christian sentiment in the most recent posts.

big scary monsters fucked around with this message at 00:14 on Mar 24, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

big scary monsters posted:

I listened to the latest WDTATW while walking the dog earlier and they had a rundown of the bill: the latest anti-Traveller measures sound just nuts. I know it's not exactly a surprise since it was in the Tory manifesto, but it's quite literally ethnic cleansing and basically nobody in the British mainstream cares at all.

One thing - well, yet another thing - the last decade, but particularly the Corbyn years, have laid particularly bare is that nobody in power gives two shits about racism unless caring is politically advantageous. Racism against black people was a bit of a political hot potato for a while but people kneel occasionally now so that's fixed, antisemitism has been fixed by getting rid of the Bad Jam Man, Islamophobia and anti-Asian (south and east) racism is just treated as background noise, and anti-zyganism is now becoming actual official government policy.

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

Dead Goon posted:

I've never had piccalilli, and for some reason thought I didn't like it.

Not even knowing what it really is I decided to DuckDuckGo it just now and it seems like it would be delicious.

But I will perhaps avoid the years old stuff :)

Its good stuff, try it on a ham sandwich or anywhere you'd use plain mustard.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

I want to link to a marginally related thread with some nice and not racist pagans/heathens on these very forums because I've found it interesting to read and have learned some cool things from it: Ask/Tell › Yes, the God-king crossdresses: Ask us about Norse Heathenry!
The OP is Danish and has been very open to stupid questions about their beliefs including what the deal is with all those Nazis with rune tattoos, and there are also a few other regular contributors who I think are mostly North American. They've been specifically discussing anti-Christian sentiment in the most recent posts.
That does look interesting and I'll give it a read :), especially as

Tias posted:

basically toxic christian male worship without having to have a jew god
is exactly what I was thinking of with the 'very bad types'.

How well has the Anglish community managed to avoid that lot?

kingturnip
Apr 18, 2008

goddamnedtwisto posted:

One thing - well, yet another thing - the last decade, but particularly the Corbyn years, have laid particularly bare is that nobody in power gives two shits about racism unless caring is politically advantageous. Racism against black people was a bit of a political hot potato for a while but people kneel occasionally now so that's fixed, antisemitism has been fixed by getting rid of the Bad Jam Man, Islamophobia and anti-Asian (south and east) racism is just treated as background noise, and anti-zyganism is now becoming actual official government policy.

People who don't consider themselves racist - and some who consider themselves anti-racist - will near-instantaneously launch into astonishingly vile diatribes if you bring up Travellers.
There's genuinely more defence of convicted terrorists in the mainstream media than there is of Travellers.

big scary monsters
Sep 2, 2011

-~Skullwave~-

Guavanaut posted:

How well has the Anglish community managed to avoid that lot?
I have to confess that I don't know too much about them and maybe overstated my case - I imagine it's mostly harmless historical linguistics nerds with a small number of vocal "Anglish and if you don't like it there's the door" types. I just recall coming across a few pretty questionable views when I looked into it a while back.

Endjinneer
Aug 17, 2005
Fallen Rib

I listened to the latest WDTATW while walking the dog earlier and they had a rundown of the bill: the latest anti-Traveller measures sound just nuts. I know it's not exactly a surprise since it was in the Tory manifesto, but it's quite literally ethnic cleansing and basically nobody in the British mainstream cares at all.

There's an obscene cultural blindspot when it comes to Travellers. Strangely I think we're getting to the point where a fixed address is a practical necessity for fewer and fewer things in life. At a time when a government could facilitate nomadism and simplicity by removing address-based gatekeeping from voting, earning or accessing healthcare, it's instead trying to erase the possibility of a life not lived in a box made of bricks.

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

kingturnip posted:

People who don't consider themselves racist - and some who consider themselves anti-racist - will near-instantaneously launch into astonishingly vile diatribes if you bring up Travellers.
There's genuinely more defence of convicted terrorists in the mainstream media than there is of Travellers.

I think it's a really useful barometer for how performative your anti-racism is, because there's almost no push-back from anyone for that sort of thing, and gently caress me does the dam burst sometimes. And once again it's a massively middle-class thing - working-class people will have I suppose a background noise of prejudice, especially in language, but mostly are happy to live and let live, if you want the real nasty stuff you need to get into the Harvester crowd.

(I've said it all along about Glinner and the other TERF-adjacent big-brains; there is a massive seam of people who are really obviously suppressing some extremely toxic poo poo in order to keep up their self-image of being A Good Person, and if you give them a safety valve of a group they can unload on without risking their social standing they will go from 0-endlosung so quick it'll make your head spin)

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

I have to confess that I don't know too much about them and maybe overstated my case - I imagine it's mostly harmless historical linguistics nerds with a small number of vocal "Anglish and if you don't like it there's the door" types. I just recall coming across a few pretty questionable views when I looked into it a while back.

How do those types feel about eg Welsh?

big scary monsters
Sep 2, 2011

-~Skullwave~-

goddamnedtwisto posted:

I think it's a really useful barometer for how performative your anti-racism is, because there's almost no push-back from anyone for that sort of thing, and gently caress me does the dam burst sometimes. And once again it's a massively middle-class thing - working-class people will have I suppose a background noise of prejudice, especially in language, but mostly are happy to live and let live, if you want the real nasty stuff you need to get into the Harvester crowd.

(I've said it all along about Glinner and the other TERF-adjacent big-brains; there is a massive seam of people who are really obviously suppressing some extremely toxic poo poo in order to keep up their self-image of being A Good Person, and if you give them a safety valve of a group they can unload on without risking their social standing they will go from 0-endlosung so quick it'll make your head spin)
I know there are posters ITT who actually know Travellers and I don't, so if I'm just spouting poo poo I hope someone will correct me. But I feel like unlike most ethnic groups in Britain they are almost axiomatically working class. If you're of Roma or Irish Traveller background but integrated into the mainstream enough to be accepted then it's very unlikely that you are the living the travelling life that is the main target of antizygansim, because it's basically impossible to reconcile the two - yuppie "digital nomads" aside you can't hold down a professional, middle-class job without also living permanently in one place. So there is a huge element of classism to go with the long-standing racial hatred towards Roma and Irish that presumably makes it a far easier bigotry to sell in polite, liberal papers than for instance anti-Semitism or anti-Black racism.

e: Which is not to say that simply being of that background doesn't also make it more difficult to be accepted by the mainstream because of bigotry, regardless of where you live. But the most prominent and obvious target always seems to be people who don't live at a fixed place.

big scary monsters fucked around with this message at 01:21 on Mar 24, 2021

Julio Cruz
May 19, 2006

Guavanaut posted:

this is clearly belgian or something, and

no I think it's fafafa fa fafafafa fa French

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

And yet we are ruled by a class of perpetually mobile rich pricks who spend all their time faffing around the country or in and out of various fancy country houses or pissing off to france every chance they get, whereas staying in one place your whole life is unfashionable and parochial.

I don't think the idea of how much you actually travel being tied to class makes a lot of sense and if you were to try to do it, rich people travel, on the whole, far more than poor people. Because travelling is generally expensive.

crispix
Mar 28, 2015

Grand-Maman m'a raconté
(Les éditions des amitiés franco-québécoises)

Hello, dear

Jedit posted:

Christ, that picture. He's gone full swivel-eyed loon.

:sludgepal:

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

"We want a mobile workforce willing to relocate to where the opportunities are."

"Wait no, not like that."

(I feel like I've just seen someone else make this joke but my wife is being annoying and I can't concentrate, so I'll double check in a second)

crispix
Mar 28, 2015

Grand-Maman m'a raconté
(Les éditions des amitiés franco-québécoises)

Hello, dear
stop slagging off your wife online booby

big scary monsters
Sep 2, 2011

-~Skullwave~-

OwlFancier posted:

And yet we are ruled by a class of perpetually mobile rich pricks who spend all their time faffing around the country or in and out of various fancy country houses or pissing off to france every chance they get, whereas staying in one place your whole life is unfashionable and parochial.

I don't think the idea of how much you actually travel being tied to class makes a lot of sense and if you were to try to do it, rich people travel, on the whole, far more than poor people. Because travelling is generally expensive.
I don't think that is really the same thing. Travellers are, at least in the stereotype, defined by travelling. It's even in legislation: '“gipsies” means persons of nomadic habit of life, whatever their race or origin'. But I don't think Tatiana Cholmondeley-Smythe who spends winters in Courcheval and summers between London and the Cotswolds is going to be considered a "gipsy".

Private Speech
Mar 30, 2011

I HAVE EVEN MORE WORTHLESS BEANIE BABIES IN MY COLLECTION THAN I HAVE WORTHLESS POSTS IN THE BEANIE BABY THREAD YET I STILL HAVE THE TEMERITY TO CRITICIZE OTHERS' COLLECTIONS

IF YOU SEE ME TALKING ABOUT BEANIE BABIES, PLEASE TELL ME TO

EAT. SHIT.

Something that just occurred to me - how do the current travel restrictions apply to travellers? Surely that must wreak havoc, at least in theory.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

I don't think that is really the same thing. Travellers are, at least in the stereotype, defined by travelling. It's even in legislation: '“gipsies” means persons of nomadic habit of life, whatever their race or origin'. But I don't think Tatiana Cholmondeley-Smythe who spends winters in Courcheval and summers between London and the Cotswolds is going to be considered a "gipsy".

Well yes, that's the point I'm getting at, I don't think it has anything to do with how much you actually travel, that might be a thing people complain about but they complain about specific people doing it because they already don't like the specific people for other reasons.

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

OwlFancier posted:

Well yes, that's the point I'm getting at, I don't think it has anything to do with how much you actually travel, that might be a thing people complain about but they complain about specific people doing it because they already don't like the specific people for other reasons.
Plus they complain even more about permenant traveller locations like Redbridge Hollow.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Yeah exactly, the point is that they think travellers are just inherently wrong for some reason, and everything else is just an after the fact justification.

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

Jedit posted:

Christ, that picture. He's gone full swivel-eyed loon.

oh no he was so cogent and thoughtful before

Scikar
Nov 20, 2005

5? Seriously?

Private Speech posted:

Something that just occurred to me - how do the current travel restrictions apply to travellers? Surely that must wreak havoc, at least in theory.

I would imagine so, but I would hazard a guess that for those on the receiving end it's probably not unusual? Pretty much every organised system we have depends on a fixed address, to the point where giving homeless people an address they can use to receive post and sign up for things is both far more difficult than it needs to be and also far more empowering than it should be (you need an address to open a bank account for example - if my understanding is correct this isn't actually strictly required by law but in practice no bank cares about complying with money laundering rules in any other way).

I'm asking to a very large extent out of ignorance here because I only know a very small amount about how this works for Travellers, but I'm thinking for example, how do you register for a dentist or a GP if you don't have a fixed local address? How do you actually get seen by a dentist, or say a mental health professional, if waiting lists can be a year or longer and you don't stay in the same area for that long (which may or may not even be your own choice)? How could you align that with sending your children to school regularly - and even if the school system allowed you to send them to whichever school was most appropriate for any given point in time, how would that align with exams and the national curriculum? Assuming you took a thorough effort yourself to try to resolve the bureaucratic issues by keeping track yourself of everything they have and have not been taught, could that even make a difference, or would your extensive documentation be for naught because every new teacher is already horrendously overloaded just keeping track of their regular class?

And let's say you decide that it's just not worth resisting this system any more which actively obstructs you at every step of your life, so you decide to play the game by settling down in one place - you can already imagine the ways the system is still going to resist that too! I would be very much not shocked to discover that Travellers find it particularly difficult to secure a mortgage, or a tenancy agreement, or a council house...

I actually hope I haven't stumbled into anything offensive there because most of this is based on my own experience of those systems, and that experience seems extremely incompatible with what very little I really know about Travellers - but it's very possible there are things I don't know about that make some of them easier. I only suspect otherwise because it seems a lot of the problems are also problems experienced by homeless people, and the adaptations in systems for homeless people amount to very slightly more than the square root of gently caress all. There are stories going round the village where my parents live every year summer when the caravans pass through - sometimes it's things stolen, sometimes it's bags (or not bags) of poo poo left behind in the field afterwards, and every time my thought is that a) even if some of those stories are true there is a collective responsibility dished out which definitely wouldn't be accepted in other circumstances, and b) we've built a society that actively excludes a group of people whether they choose to take part in it or not - how can anyone be surprised if some of the people affected don't care much for or feel bound by that society's rules?

Mebh
May 10, 2010

It always amazed me in Spain how left wing, incredibly reasonable people who were activists would suddenly turn into awful, awful people when "Los gitanos" (the gypsies) came up.

Everything about tolerance and cultural differences went out the window with all the phrases you've heard before. "oh you don't understand" "they're all thieves" "you can't treat them like normal people" "you'll see if you ever meet them" "ah but I've had bad experiences with them you see"

It was just so surreal. Even my Spanish teacher who was massively active on equality and inclusion got super huffy when I turned her argument around and said she was saying exactly the same things about a group of minorities that she spent all her free time fighting against. "it's different!!!"

Also dumb question but when the thread is talking about travelers, are we talking Irish? Scottish gypsies? Roma? Carnival folks? Everyone?

big scary monsters
Sep 2, 2011

-~Skullwave~-

Mebh posted:

Also dumb question but when the thread is talking about travelers, are we talking Irish? Scottish gypsies? Roma? Carnival folks? Everyone?

The current bill targets people "residing on land without consent in or with a vehicle", including those on common land. It gives the police powers to seize vehicles (that is, probably their homes) and to give a 12 month ban (3 months in Scotland) on them returning to that land. WDTATW claimed that this could apply even to travellers living on land that they own, but I can't find that in the language of the bill. When I think of travellers I'm thinking of Roma and Irish Travellers rather than I guess "occupational" travellers like carnival folk and journeymen (in the German sense), but I hadn't really thought about it that much and I guess there is probably plenty of overlap.

big scary monsters fucked around with this message at 03:35 on Mar 24, 2021

Private Speech
Mar 30, 2011

I HAVE EVEN MORE WORTHLESS BEANIE BABIES IN MY COLLECTION THAN I HAVE WORTHLESS POSTS IN THE BEANIE BABY THREAD YET I STILL HAVE THE TEMERITY TO CRITICIZE OTHERS' COLLECTIONS

IF YOU SEE ME TALKING ABOUT BEANIE BABIES, PLEASE TELL ME TO

EAT. SHIT.

Does that apply even if you sleep in a car or a van? Presumably that would be the same thing.

big scary monsters
Sep 2, 2011

-~Skullwave~-
From the language of the bill I would say yes ("For the purposes of this section a person is to be considered as residing or having the intention to reside in a place even if that residence or intended residence is temporary, and a person may be regarded as residing or having an intention to reside in a place notwithstanding that the person has a home elsewhere"), but it's an amendment to trespass law and basically requires someone to complain or a cop to show up. It's doubtful you'd be prosecuted or have your vehicle seized for sleeping in your car in a layby, but it's down to the police's discretion so maybe.

e: That's a bad example because highways aren't included under this legislation, so say sleeping in a private car park.

big scary monsters fucked around with this message at 03:38 on Mar 24, 2021

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

Youse heard about this new Reddit admin they've hired?

Pistol_Pete
Sep 15, 2007

Oven Wrangler

Dabir posted:

It's an awesome piece of old-school internet drama, for sure. I've just had a look at Reddit and from the way the admins are talking about it, I suspect there's some sort of super-injunction been deployed.

a pipe smoking dog
Jan 25, 2010

"haha, dogs can't smoke!"

Dabir posted:

It's really grim, and naturally the terfs are having a field day saying "see they are all pedos grooming kids on Reddit"

Did whoever runs Reddit (Conde Nast?) not think to maybe Google their employees?

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.
Thats err, thats something for sure.

The Perfect Element
Dec 5, 2005
"This is a bit of a... a poof song"
Some travellers have just arrived at the playing fields in my village and the local Facebook group is going absolutely loving mental.

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

serious gaylord posted:

Thats err, thats something for sure.

I had a feeling when I made a post about "reddit is ok for some stuff" yesterday, that within 24 hours they would have hired someone from the paedophile community and be hellbanning any dissenting users. Neat

Noxville
Dec 7, 2003

Labour intending to back the Tories’s plan to seize Liverpool council for four years, city which hasn’t returned a Tory councillor in over a decade. Seems pretty clear Starmer is more keen to destroy the Labour Party than even I am.

https://twitter.com/__mike91/status/1374614891869376512?s=21

Butternubs
Feb 15, 2012

Dabir posted:

What's happening with the Reddit admin? I'm out of the loop. I know there's an out of the loop subreddit but that would mean looking at reddit.

kingturnip
Apr 18, 2008

Scikar posted:

I'm asking to a very large extent out of ignorance here because I only know a very small amount about how this works for Travellers, but I'm thinking for example, how do you register for a dentist or a GP if you don't have a fixed local address?

You can register with a GP as a temporary patient. It will probably exclude you from having any long-term or chronic conditions treated well (because there'd be no continuity of care), but if the most you need is a refill of a prescription every couple of months, or to take your kid to get checked out when they're ill, it's probably fine. Dental care would be trickier to get anything more then urgent care, and even then you might have to hunt around to find somewhere that'll take you, but if all else fails you can rock up at A&E and they can sort something out.

Schooling is a tricky one. If children are in an area for a reasonable amount of time, they're entitled to a school place but the admissions process can take a while so you'd have to be proactive (and probably lie a bit).
Of course, even if some Travellers do want to settle in one location for a while, there's no guarantee the local council won't be complete cunts to them.

Borrovan
Aug 15, 2013

IT IS ME.
🧑‍💼
I AM THERESA MAY

Part of my family (all now dead) strongly identified as gypsy, despite living in permanent houses. Cultural identities are complicated.

Scikar posted:

how do you register for a dentist or a GP if you don't have a fixed local address? How do you actually get seen by a dentist, or say a mental health professional, if waiting lists can be a year or longer and you don't stay in the same area for that long (which may or may not even be your own choice)? How could you align that with sending your children to school regularly - and even if the school system allowed you to send them to whichever school was most appropriate for any given point in time, how would that align with exams and the national curriculum? Assuming you took a thorough effort yourself to try to resolve the bureaucratic issues by keeping track yourself of everything they have and have not been taught, could that even make a difference, or would your extensive documentation be for naught because every new teacher is already horrendously overloaded just keeping track of their regular class?
The answer is you don't. There are some specific powers that local authorities have to make provisions for children (in particular) who only sometimes live in their geographic area, but mostly, they just don't. I did some research years ago in relation to a court case about the human rights of traveller children, iirc the outcome was something like "provisions exist in law to allow for travellers so national law isn't incompatible with international law, sure do hope all the local authorities take note of that lol". Generally, the fact that providing public services is dependent on local authorities (who would mostly like travellers to gently caress off) is a huge problem: even just provision of sites, there's loving tonnes of planning law cases where the outcome is "yes there is a recognised need for a lot more traveller sites all across the UK, but they don't have to be in this specific authority so it's not unlawful for them to just not provide any, somewhere else can do it (narrator voice: they did not)". It's institutionalised NIMBYism.

Anyway, lest anyone forget, this Government got elected on a manifesto pledge to ethnically cleansing travellers, so it's pretty much a done deal (nobody cared at the time). Not saying that people shouldn't shout it from the rooftops, but, uh, yeah.

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

Fun Shoe

Butternubs posted:

What's happening with the Reddit admin? I'm out of the loop. I know there's an out of the loop subreddit but that would mean looking at reddit.

It was discussed yesterday - short version, Reddit have hired this person:

and are now banning everyone mentioning her history.

Now on one hand, Reddit... but on the other Reddit users. I seriously doubt discussions of her hiring were careful, considered debate on her situation at the time or the psychology of abuse, do you?

Butternubs
Feb 15, 2012

quote:

and are now banning everyone mentioning her history.

Now on one hand, Reddit... but on the other Reddit users. I seriously doubt discussions of her hiring were careful, considered debate on her situation at the time or the psychology of abuse, do you?

Oof

I think some people just aren't cut out for the public eye. Even as low grade as a reddit admin. Also Reddit should really know their audience by now: A trans person with child abuse allegations? that was never going to go down well.

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

Borrovan posted:

Part of my family (all now dead) strongly identified as gypsy, despite living in permanent houses. Cultural identities are complicated.

Yeah in Ireland at least the majority of Traveller interactions the typical person will have is with settled Travellers, mostly because they're the ones most likely to send their kids to the local school, etc.

There's also the strong confirmation bias at play of course, most Traveller interactions will be totally innocuous and maybe if you're attuned you might notice a weird accent or something. Often when I worked in a shop I'd only notice by some combo of the way they dressed plus paying for stuff with a roll of 50 notes, though this was also true for local farmers. Sometimes theyd send the wife in to pick up the paper, and I'd have to point out which one to get cause they could be totally illiterate (which was pretty grim). But it's the other kind of interactions that people tend to remember and base their hot takes on

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sanguinia
Jan 1, 2012

~Everybody wants to be a cat~
~Because a cat's the only cat~
~Who knows where its at~

Noxville posted:

Labour intending to back the Tories’s plan to seize Liverpool council for four years, city which hasn’t returned a Tory councillor in over a decade. Seems pretty clear Starmer is more keen to destroy the Labour Party than even I am.

https://twitter.com/__mike91/status/1374614891869376512?s=21

So like, is Scotland going to go for independence again? Because all the things that seem to be going on with Labour when I dip into this thread are absolutely bananas, and between Boris still being favored in the polls this thread posts even after his garbage handling of Covid and Brexit, if I were Scottish I'd want to get the gently caress out of dodge at this point.