Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

references the french revolution so i think this gets in on a technicality

https://twitter.com/LeavittAlone/status/1374106988473421838

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SHALASHASKA HAWKE
Nov 10, 2016

No child soldier in poverty by 1990
Lucien was the superior Bonaparte

a fatguy baldspot
Aug 29, 2018

SHALASHASKA HAWKE posted:

Lucien was the superior Bonaparte

smdh at this og nappy b erasure

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

https://mobile.twitter.com/curtainsdc/status/1374406667287158786

im the four non touching districts of massachusetts

the gerrymanders on that thing would be epic

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

https://mobile.twitter.com/marinamaral2/status/1351506951952334849

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

Medieval men knew so little about the female body that a nun escaped her convent by using a dummy as a decoy. They gave the dummy a full funeral, never realizing that it wasn't a real body.

Cerebral Bore
Apr 21, 2010

Fun Shoe

Alhazred posted:

Medieval men knew so little about the female body that a nun escaped her convent by using a dummy as a decoy. They gave the dummy a full funeral, never realizing that it wasn't a real body.

not to dispute the larger point, but wouldn't the other nuns realize that something was up at some point?

Communist Thoughts
Jan 7, 2008

Our war against free speech cannot end until we silence this bronze beast!

yeah that sorta sounds like thinking that people in history didnt have eyes or brains, presumably some nuns were in on it

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

To quote the archbishop: She did conspire with some malicious evildoers to pursue the way of carnal lust. Giving the dummy a proper funeral honestly seems like something she did just to see if she could get away with it.

Tulip
Jun 3, 2008

yeah thats pretty good

Mostly sounds like the investigators either wanted her out of their hair or wanted to go home early.

'Let's just say he died of snakebite. You wouldn't believe how many late nights I worked at this coroner's office before I discovered the magic of the staple remover.'

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

Further reading shows that her nunnery was controversial. One of the other nuns was forbidden from even seeing a noble woman and the priory had been criticized for not enforcing the proper silence in the cloister.

Source4Leko
Jul 25, 2007

Dinosaur Gum
https://reut.rs/3ffABk7

Thought everyone here might find this interesting. Wealth inequality seems to be tied to despotism hmmmm nothing to be learned about the present from this at all.

mycomancy
Oct 16, 2016

Some Guy TT posted:

https://mobile.twitter.com/curtainsdc/status/1374406667287158786

im the four non touching districts of massachusetts

the gerrymanders on that thing would be epic

There's actually five by my count.

HashtagGirlboss
Jan 4, 2005

There was a time way back when that a man could travel all the way from Cleveland to Chicago without leaving Connecticut

twoday
May 4, 2005

C-SPAM Times best-selling author
Mainsachusetts!

Also, Mega-Virginia used to extend into Minnesota

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

how exactly were the states even claiming authority over those territories anyway did anyone actually try to go to those places or did some guy at the state land office just point at them on a map and say mine

Fart Car '97
Jul 23, 2003

Some Guy TT posted:

some guy at the state land office just point at them on a map and say mine

That's literally what they did with africa so what makes you think they did it any differently here

500excf type r
Mar 7, 2013

I'm as annoying as the high-pitched whine of my motorcycle, desperately compensating for the lack of substance in my life.

Some Guy TT posted:

how exactly were the states even claiming authority over those territories anyway did anyone actually try to go to those places or did some guy at the state land office just point at them on a map and say mine

They said this is our north border, this is our south border, we own everything to the west, whatever that might be

Dreylad
Jun 19, 2001
Yeah it was a land grab. There were indigenous and maroon communities living in the west of those colonies resisted attempts to enroach into that land those colonies and eventual states claimed. Part of the issue was also geography, the Great Dismal Swamp was enough of a barrier to slow settler-colonialism for quite a while, as did the conflicts between the early United States and groups like the Seminoles.

Speleothing
May 6, 2008

Spare batteries are pretty key.

500excf type r posted:

They said this is our north border, this is our south border, we own everything to the west, whatever that might be

Sometimes a river was involved, which explains the squiggles and long narrow bits.

Edit: all this was also a point of minor contention during the Articles Of Confederation and the Constitutional Convention between the small states (whose original colonial charter had strictly defined areas) and the big states that claimed arbitrary amounts of western land.

Speleothing has issued a correction as of 03:40 on Mar 25, 2021

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

I like the use of "admitted", like one day someone just sheepishly turned up at a government office and was like "alright, alright, my charade's over, that land's kentucky"

Delthalaz
Mar 5, 2003

Slippery Tilde
Connecticut maintained a connection with northeastern ohio for ages. there was the firelands region which was supposed to be given to folks whose homes has been burnt by the hated british. case western university gets its name from the former connecticut western reserve

also a lot of people from connecticut moved out there after around 1812 when there was a bad winter or something

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

i wonder how furious people back then would be if they learned that today new england is just considered a single discrete cultural region and that theyre all expected to share the same football team

although the more pertinent question might be would eighteenth century americans think that football was the greatest thing since sliced bread (which had been invented the previous winter) or a form of witchcraft

500excf type r
Mar 7, 2013

I'm as annoying as the high-pitched whine of my motorcycle, desperately compensating for the lack of substance in my life.

Some Guy TT posted:

i wonder how furious people back then would be if they learned that today new england is just considered a single discrete cultural region and that theyre all expected to share the same football team

although the more pertinent question might be would eighteenth century americans think that football was the greatest thing since sliced bread (which had been invented the previous winter) or a form of witchcraft

Well as you pointed out in your first sentence, it would vary by region but colonists would have probably thought it was a bitch sport compared to lacrosse

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

how can we not talk about family
when family's all that we got?

500excf type r posted:

Well as you pointed out in your first sentence, it would vary by region but colonists would have probably thought it was a bitch sport compared to lacrosse

people regularly died playing football until Teddy Roosevelt personally stepped in to change the rules. lacrosse was the pussy sport

500excf type r
Mar 7, 2013

indigi posted:

people regularly died playing football until Teddy Roosevelt personally stepped in to change the rules. lacrosse was the pussy sport

Well only one of these sports existed in the 18th century but ok, yes like 1000 years after being invented, the white man took it over and made it softer

Tulip
Jun 3, 2008

yeah thats pretty good

If reading random broadsheets from the 18th century taught me anything it's that early America was basically a heavily armed frat house scaled up to the size of a country, so they'd probably just be pissed at the price of beer.

mycomancy
Oct 16, 2016

Tulip posted:

If reading random broadsheets from the 18th century taught me anything it's that early America was basically a heavily armed frat house scaled up to the size of a country, so they'd probably just be pissed at the price of beer.

Still is

Nebakenezzer
Sep 13, 2005

The Mote in God's Eye

Dreylad posted:

Yeah it was a land grab. There were indigenous and maroon communities living in the west of those colonies resisted attempts to enroach into that land those colonies and eventual states claimed. Part of the issue was also geography, the Great Dismal Swamp was enough of a barrier to slow settler-colonialism for quite a while, as did the conflicts between the early United States and groups like the Seminoles.

Honestly I had to google "Great Dismal Swamp" to make sure it wasn't a game location

Do you suppose it's just eternally awkward if you give the swamp a name like that, and then you find a different, bigger, much more dismal swamp

500excf type r posted:

So in north-west Ontario, on the edge of the Canadian Shield, there is a lake called Lake of the Woods.

When Ben Franklin was negotiating with the British, the shape of the Lake of the Woods and the origin of the Mississippi river were unknown, and so the border between the two was stated as being

quote:

The 1783 Treaty of Paris thus stated that the boundary between U.S. territory and the British possessions to the north would run "...through the Lake of the Woods to the northwesternmost point thereof, and from thence on a due west course to the river Mississippi..."

not knowing where the north-west point actually was. Much later, surveys in the area conformed that there was a chunk of water and land above the 48th parallel America owned. So there is a part of Minnesota that you have to cross through Canada to get to.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Nebakenezzer posted:

Honestly I had to google "Great Dismal Swamp" to make sure it wasn't a game location

You have to know where it is because it’s three miles from the Groverhaus.

DarkEuphoria
Nov 7, 2012

https://youtu.be/OnrICy3Bc2U

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

an arsepeggio

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

quote is not edit

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

i have some horrifying news about caligula

https://mobile.twitter.com/ArtifactsHub/status/1377866670966902788

he may not have been gay

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

that ring is awesome

Bro Dad
Mar 26, 2010

the netflix roman empire series has a season of caligula with mike duncan

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

flavian propaganda about the julio-claudians was sophisticated

Dreylad
Jun 19, 2001
that ring is something else god drat

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Pro-click

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

there’s at most six seconds of music on that butt I’m not listening to a three and a half minute bullshit song