Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jay-V
Nov 8, 2009
None of your examples (Franken, Cuomo, Weinstein) are as important to politics as the POTUS, especially the one who delivered us from Trump and must therefore be protected at nearly all costs (See also: the Hunter Biden laptop photo leak which was completely shut down, despite all indications that these were legitimate photos of the now-President’s son smoking crack.)

And none of those examples contradicted the thing I said which you bolded: that the press often uses multiple accusations as a stand-in for actual investigation and will not touch a story without it. I think we all agree that if Cuomo or Franken sexually assaulted just one single person they would receive similar scrutiny in an ideal world — but the press doesn’t have the will and/or knowledge to pursue these stories without a “pattern of behavior” as the thesis.

Thorn Wishes Talon posted:

With Biden though, there frankly wasn't a lot to go off of, from a media coverage perspective, other than (afaik) a few people in Reade's circle confirming that she (may have?) mentioned/complained about the issue to them back when she said it happened.
Guess you missed the Larry King call-in segment. Not surprising since the media memory-holed that one a long time ago.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

the 2016 lover
May 29, 2001

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Fun Shoe
On the topic of whether the Democratic party is distancing itself from sex creeps:

https://twitter.com/ccadelago/status/1374492329097060359

Insanite
Aug 30, 2005

the 2016 lover posted:

On the topic of whether the Democratic party is distancing itself from sex creeps:

It reads like parody at this point. The party is contemptuous of anything approaching justice.

Willa Rogers
Mar 11, 2005

How are u posted:

I think there would be if more women came out with accusations of rape. Cuomo is up to what, six or seven or eight accusations of harassment now? There's no guarantee of justice in Cuomo's case, but there's certainly a fight happening to try and enact some justice.

:ssh: Nothing's likely to happen to Cuomo, either.

Gucci Loafers
May 20, 2006

Ask yourself, do you really want to talk to pair of really nice gaudy shoes?

the 2016 lover posted:

I don't get this either.

Willa Rogers posted:

I'd be extremely shocked if he's still around by the end of the year. Literally the entire establishment hates him along with progressives. There's a small but decent chance the investigation could become a criminal one.

Gucci Loafers fucked around with this message at 02:54 on Mar 24, 2021

socialsecurity
Aug 30, 2003

Willa Rogers posted:

I think something will, not for any like actual justice reasons I just think he's pissed off enough people they will use this as an excuse to oust him.

silicone thrills
Jan 9, 2008

I paint things
If toxes were still a thing i'd tox that Cuomo is still in place by the end of the year because absolutely nothing will be done by the NY state dems. They've already made it fairly clear they aren't going to do anything.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

[/b]

The US media had no issues taking an aggressive stance against Sen. Franken, who was very popular and well-liked at the time, because he had nine accusers, and has no issues giving Cuomo's accusers plenty of coverage either (because he also has... what, seven accusers now?). The latter is particularly remarkable since he was treated as a hero for the better part of last year and enjoyed all kinds of positive coverage, to the point where he was told to have started to think about his own presidential run at some point, which won't be happening anymore because of these stories.

With Biden though, there frankly wasn't a lot to go off of, from a media coverage perspective, other than (afaik) a few people in Reade's circle confirming that she (may have?) mentioned/complained about the issue to them back when she said it happened. So it really came down to a he said vs she said situation, and the media realized there wasn't enough actual substance to base a story on, at least beyond what a few outlets initially reported. Seriously, not even the craziest right-wing outlets seized it, despite the fact that it would have been a wonderful opportunity for them to bash Biden.

That is to say, blaming the US media for not giving it coverage because Biden is an "important establishment Dem" is pretty silly. In fact, forget politics: there isn't any evidence that being just rich and powerful is sufficient protection from media scrutiny, as we saw with Harvey Weinstein. On the contrary, it makes stories potentially juicier and makes it more likely that journos who want to make a name for themselves go digging.

there was exactly 'as much to go off' as there was with Ford and Kavanaugh, the media and dems had no issue siding with her equally credible story despite not having a literal video tape of the guy going 'I'm future judge Kavanaugh and I love rape' to make it an objective slam dunk.

Gucci Loafers
May 20, 2006

silicone thrills posted:

If toxes were still a thing i'd tox that Cuomo is still in place by the end of the year because absolutely nothing will be done by the NY state dems. They've already made it fairly clear they aren't going to do anything.

https://twitter.com/axios/status/1371225627160932353?s=20

And this is weeks old news. More have come forward since then including Nadler.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

Crosby B. Alfred posted:

and yet he's still there, either they have to impeach him or he's staying

Gucci Loafers
May 20, 2006

sexpig by night posted:

and yet he's still there, either they have to impeach him or he's staying

Yes, he is still there and that wasn't the OP's question.

Willa Rogers
Mar 11, 2005

Crosby B. Alfred posted:

counterpoint:

https://twitter.com/jessemckinley/status/1371491122653102081

silicone thrills
Jan 9, 2008

I paint things

Yep. The chair has more power than any underling saying they mad. If the chair doesn't wanna do poo poo they aint doing poo poo.

Cuomo isn't going to get ousted and sexual harassment isnt a criminal offense so its not like he's going to go to jail over anything he's done.

Gucci Loafers
May 20, 2006

NY State Democrats collectively asking for your resignation in a scheduled press conference with legends like Jerrold Nadler is not "getting mad". There's also multiple on going investigations.

Now, could more be done? Sure, but that is a far cry from your earlier claim nothing is getting done.

silicone thrills
Jan 9, 2008

I paint things

Crosby B. Alfred posted:

NY State Democrats collectively asking for your resignation in a scheduled press conference with legends like Jerrold Nadler is not "getting mad". There's also multiple on going investigations.

Now, could more be done? Sure, but that is a far cry from your earlier claim nothing is getting done.

Just saying poo poo isn't doing poo poo.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

Crosby B. Alfred posted:

Saying poo poo is not getting things done.

Gucci Loafers
May 20, 2006

No, it's not. Let's look back at the OPs question,

silicone thrills posted:

The following has occurred and is in progress,

1. Majority of NY State Democrats calling for Cuomo's resignation including senior party leaders. It's as if your all your relatives told the press they are excommunicating you from the entire goddamn family and community.
2. The POTUS agreeing that an investigation is needed along with possible criminal charges.
3. Corruption investigations regarding Cuomo strong arming COVID officials over sexual harassment investigations to maintain loyalty.
4. Multiple on-going Sexual Harassment investigations including ones that may become criminal.
5. Toxic workplace investigations or general harassment. Indirectly related but it's 2020 and you can't manage torture your employees. At least in Government.

silicone thrills
Jan 9, 2008

I paint things
Literally none of that is actual action against Cuomo.

silicone thrills
Jan 9, 2008

I paint things
NY dems are going to find from their investigations 2 years after Cuomo has already left office that there was nothing for them to do.

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003
SOME REALLY TEDIOUS DUMB SHIT THAT SUCKS ASS TO READ ->>
Has there been any kind of concerted push to defend cuomo? I've seen virtually nothing outside of a couple city level people, but I'm not super keyed into NY state politics?

Last I saw the push from most ny dems was to have him investigated and that was before a current aide accused him, too.

silicone thrills
Jan 9, 2008

I paint things

Herstory Begins Now posted:

Has there been any kind of concerted push to defend cuomo? I've seen virtually nothing outside of a couple city level people, but I'm not super keyed into NY state politics?

Last I saw the push from most ny dems was to have him investigated and that was before a current aide accused him, too.

They don't have to defend him. No one defended Northram either after his blackface or klan outfit incident. All they have to do is slow roll anything and do absolutely nothing until it falls out of the American view. .

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003

silicone thrills posted:

They don't have to defend him. No one defended Northram either after his blackface or klan outfit incident. All they have to do is slow roll anything and do absolutely nothing until it falls out of the American view. .

Wasn't that situation made weird by virginia's gubernatorial succession rules plus northam somehow remained relatively popular? I'm not confident cuomo will be removed, but I'm not confident either that the situations are particularly comparable

silicone thrills
Jan 9, 2008

I paint things

Wasn't that situation made weird by virginia's gubernatorial succession rules plus northam somehow remained relatively popular? I'm not confident cuomo will be removed, but I'm not confident either that the situations are particularly comparable

I mean, obviously I can't see the future but I just have no faith there would ever be any impeachment.

Gucci Loafers
May 20, 2006

They aren't.

Northram essentially admitted it was dumb mistake he made decades ago. He beg and pleaded with his own minority constitutes they accepted his apology. The calls for his resignation dropped.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
Apparently Northram is kind of a specific case given all of the options other than him are somehow worse, he's actually done tangible good things for minorities in the state and continues to do so especially since that's the only way he stays in power, and his reaction has been to apologise and accept fault rather than triple down.

Gucci Loafers
May 20, 2006

If Northram wasn't in Virginia things would have likely have turned out much, much differently.

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003
it's northam, btw

How are u
May 19, 2005

by Azathoth

Ghost Leviathan posted:

Apparently Northram is kind of a specific case given all of the options other than him are somehow worse, he's actually done tangible good things for minorities in the state and continues to do so especially since that's the only way he stays in power, and his reaction has been to apologise and accept fault rather than triple down.

The Commonwealth of Virginia also only elects Governors to a single term, no doubling up allowed. There was a hard cap on Northam's exit, and it seems that the Black wing of the Virginia Democratic Party decided for a whole host of reasons to stick with Northam and make him pay for every inch of that support. Given the circumstances it seems like they may have made the right call.

comedyblissoption
Mar 15, 2006

The US media had no issues taking an aggressive stance against Sen. Franken, who was very popular and well-liked at the time, because he had nine accusers, and has no issues giving Cuomo's accusers plenty of coverage either (because he also has... what, seven accusers now?). The latter is particularly remarkable since he was treated as a hero for the better part of last year and enjoyed all kinds of positive coverage, to the point where he was told to have started to think about his own presidential run at some point, which won't be happening anymore because of these stories.

With Biden though, there frankly wasn't a lot to go off of, from a media coverage perspective, other than (afaik) a few people in Reade's circle confirming that she (may have?) mentioned/complained about the issue to them back when she said it happened. So it really came down to a he said vs she said situation, and the media realized there wasn't enough actual substance to base a story on, at least beyond what a few outlets initially reported. Seriously, not even the craziest right-wing outlets seized it, despite the fact that it would have been a wonderful opportunity for them to bash Biden.

That is to say, blaming the US media for not giving it coverage because Biden is an "important establishment Dem" is pretty silly. In fact, forget politics: there isn't any evidence that being just rich and powerful is sufficient protection from media scrutiny, as we saw with Harvey Weinstein. On the contrary, it makes stories potentially juicier and makes it more likely that journos who want to make a name for themselves go digging.

Jay-V posted:

Tara will get a second look if multiple accusers come forward regardless of her going on RT.

More importantly, this (very common) line of thinking substitutes the sheer number of accusations for substantial investigation and vetting of claims, which is obviously as wrong as assassinating the character of a sexual assault survivor. I don’t blame Tara for assuming the u.s. media treats important establishment Dem politicians as “too big to investigate” without multiple accusers.
joe biden announced his 2020 campaign amidst 7 allegations of "uncomfortable" touching, many of which are similar to some of the allegations against cuomo
https://nymag.com/intelligencer/2019/04/joe-biden-accuser-accusations-allegations.html

Alobar
Jun 21, 2011

Are you proud of me?

Are you proud of what I do?

I'll try to be a better man than the one that you knew.
notham voted for bush jr twice because he was just "not that into politics" or some poo poo lol oh well no big deal right? who cares about things like that anymore? he's a governor now. it's all good, bruh. nothram's not "the best," just the best that a failed state could muster at the moment in a crumbling empire. he does good things for minorities? how good are things for minorities in virginia? i haven't been back in a while but, if i were to guess, i'd guess that things haven't exactly "gotten a lot better" since i left. and when i left, things were "completely hosed."

i voted for obama the first time. if i were somehow a governor i would publicly say "now you hosed up. NOW you hosed up. you have hosed up now. YOU HAVE hosed UP. hey. HEY. you have hosed up. YOU. HAVE. hosed. UP. now you hosed up. now you hosed up. now you hosed up. now you hosed up. now you hosed up. now you hosed up. now you hosed up. now you hosed up. now you hosed up. now you hosed up. now you have hosed up. now you have hosed up." but i wouldn't resign. ever. resigning is such a beta move, honestly. i definitely would be a way cooler governor than nohtram, tho.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

well there was just a quote posted about the head of the NY party saying 'well we've said our bit we're done now' which lets him off the hook entirely, there's the weird k-hive like perverts that think this is a Trump plot...somehow...there was just a creepy little super Italian protest outside his office calling the women lying sluts and begging him not to step down, and just the other day one of his accuser's lawyers has accused the harassment probe of letting Cuomo gently caress around with it

https://www.cnbc.com/2021/03/22/cuomo-interferes-with-sexual-harassment-probe-charlotte-bennetts-lawyer-says.html

quote:

A lawyer for one of the women who have accused New York Gov. Andrew Cuomo of sexual harassment charged Monday that he is trying to interfere with a state attorney general’s office investigation of the women’s claims.

The lawyer, Debra Katz, in a letter to Attorney General Letitia James, objected to a report that Cuomo’s office has provided “in-house attorneys” to staff members to meet with them before they are questioned by James’ investigators.

“It is my understanding that these attorneys are also ‘debriefing’ staffers after their interviews with investigators,” wrote Katz, who represents former Cuomo staffer Charlotte Bennett.

“This is highly improper and we object in the strongest possible terms to this obvious interference with what you have stated would be a ‘thorough and independent’ investigation,” Katz told James.

She warned that the involvement of in-house lawyers from Cuomo’s office “will almost certainly deter those with relevant information about” Bennett’s and others’ allegations from coming forward.

Katz urged James to issue a directive to the three-term Democratic governor “to cease this highly improper practice.”

So while there may not be a poo poo load of CNN hosts defending him (any more, except his literal brother who's a major part of the media I guess...) it seems in basically every level that matters yes there is a pretty huge push to sweep this away with simple talk and no action.

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

I just realized that even though I followed the Ford/Kavanaugh assault case closely both here and in the mainstream media, I have no idea what any of Dr Ford's political opinions are. I don't know her opinions of foreign policy; I don't know her opinions on domestic policy. I don't know her opinions on China; I don't know her opinions on Russia. I don't know her opinion of Xi Jinpeng; I don't know her opinion of Vladimir Putin. I don't know who she voted for. I don't even know what political party she belongs to, if any, although I assume she's probably a Democrat after how the Republicans treated her, if she wasn't before. But I don't know because it wasn't breathlessly reported on in the news or endlessly brought up in discussion. It's as though Dr. Ford's political opinions have nothing at all to do with what happened in that basement 40-odd years ago.

I suppose if I followed conservative news sources and conservative forums, which were laser-focused on smearing and discrediting her in order to protect a powerful man, I would have heard about every politically unreliable thing she ever said or did, alongside a *wink* *wink* *nudge* *nudge* how can you trust someone with opinions like that, can we be sure she wasn't put up to it.

It's a good thing that good liberals wouldn't do something like that tho

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

VitalSigns posted:

I just realized that even though I followed the Ford/Kavanaugh assault case closely both here and in the mainstream media, I have no idea what any of Dr Ford's political opinions are. I don't know her opinions of foreign policy; I don't know her opinions on domestic policy. I don't know her opinions on China; I don't know her opinions on Russia. I don't know her opinion of Xi Jinpeng; I don't know her opinion of Vladimir Putin. I don't know who she voted for. I don't even know what political party she belongs to, if any, although I assume she's probably a Democrat after how the Republicans treated her, if she wasn't before. But I don't know because it wasn't breathlessly reported on in the news or endlessly brought up in discussion. It's as though Dr. Ford's political opinions have nothing at all to do with what happened in that basement 40-odd years ago.

I suppose if I followed conservative news sources and conservative forums, which were laser-focused on smearing and discrediting her in order to protect a powerful man, I would have heard about every politically unreliable thing she ever said or did, alongside a *wink* *wink* *nudge* *nudge* how can you trust someone with opinions like that, can we be sure she wasn't put up to it.

It's a good thing that good liberals wouldn't do something like that tho

Yea while obviously Fox and poo poo took any work she did for a Democrat as proof of collusion it's weird how most of us before this agreed that was disgusting and a transparent way to silence a victim.

Oh well here's another bit about how Tara Reade was rude to a landlord once, this is actual journalism.

silicone thrills
Jan 9, 2008

I paint things
One of the things that broke me real loving bad during the initial Reade poo poo where a lot of people dismissed her was over her name change / abuse / moving.

You see, my dad was insanely physically abusive. My mom was a cop and he was so bad that even she was afraid to leave him. She almost did once. :\ We got close when I was 4 but a big part of it was her slowly trying to prime us kids that everything about our lives would change. Our names. Our address. It would be a fly by night situation. There would be basically no proper paper trail for alot of our lives if we went through with it. (we didn't and my mom eventually died from alcoholism and I got some wonderful front seats in my life to watching my dad hold a gun to my moms head, my mom attempting suicide, etc)

Watching people just blaisely toss Tara's life experiences aside because the paper work wasn't perfect was one of the most heart breaking things i've seen and I KNOW it happens to so many women and its a big reason why women have such a loving hard time leaving abusers.

for anyone who didn't read the APs write up on her background:
https://apnews.com/article/67821946538c64c9fba3529d0c433017

some plague rats
Jun 5, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
I think one of the worst things about how Reade was treated in the media is how unecessary it felt? If it was just about protecting Biden the mass media were free to just ignore it but the lengths they've gone to to smear and destroy her feels like it's being done as a warning to the others, a "hey ladies, this is what you've got to look forward to if you talk about what a man did to you!" Even a couple of years ago this line of thinking would have struck me as pretty paranoid but now that basically everyone in the media has been revealed as abusive creeps and psychos suddenly it doesn't seem that farfetched? Like watching actual murderer Joe Scarborough defame her was just as, well, yeah

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

The problem with ignoring it is that other accusers may come forward and make the accusations impossible to ignore.

This is why Cuomo's team retaliated against the first accuser immediately, but all they had was some weak stuff about interpersonal work issues. Like it's not paranoid or a conspiracy theory that Cuomo did this, the people who did it came out and said "yes we did this" now that it might be good for their careers to say they blew the whistle on him (anonymously of course, in case he survives and it becomes bad for their careers to have blown the whistle)

You gotta go scorched earth on the accuser and completely destroy her professionally and publicly, drag her through the mud and ruin her career, as a warning to others. Fortunately for Biden he had the whole resources of the DNC, the corporate media, and the ruling class at his disposal to do it, if Cuomo had had that we might not be seeing other accusers come forward.

VitalSigns fucked around with this message at 22:39 on Mar 24, 2021

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

VitalSigns posted:

The problem with ignoring it is that other accusers may come forward and make the accusations impossible to ignore.

This is why Cuomo's team retaliated against the first accuser immediately, but all they had was some weak stuff about interpersonal work issues. Like it's not paranoid or a conspiracy theory that Cuomo did this, the people who did it came out and said "yes we did this" now that it might be good for their careers to say they blew the whistle on him (anonymously of course, in case he survives and it becomes bad for their careers to have blown the whistle)

You gotta go scorched earth on the accuser and completely destroy her professionally and publicly, drag her through the mud and ruin her career, as a warning to others. Fortunately for Biden he had the whole resources of the DNC, the corporate media, and the ruling class at his disposal to do it, if Cuomo had had that we might not be seeing other accusers come forward.

yea let's not beat around the bush, Reade was treated the way she was for the same reason they treated any woman who said 'yea him being all touchy with me made me uncomfortable even if yes I agree it wasn't literal assault' so poorly, it was to make it crystal clear to any other accusers they knew could pop up that the whole believe women thing was over and if you ever at any point criticized a democrat or just were rude to a landlord once you'll be called a lying Russian agent just trying to help trump win.

John_A_Tallon
Nov 22, 2000

Oh my! Check out that mitre!

Mind_Taker posted:

Ugh not that I ever doubted her or cared about the stupid transcript story, but the fact that the media will never face consequences for their dishonest reporting and the fact that liberals including many here discredited her because of this transcript nonsense is extremely depressing.

We were assured that no matter what Trump Must Be Defeated. Now that he has been defeated, it’s reasonable to replace Biden now right?

The media, while controlled from the top down by its corporate owners, is still composed of individuals.

Individuals can be held accountable, even if the accountability is simply saying, "This person lied in an article they wrote about Tara Reade, they're no longer credible," in every context they write any news. The authors of that article you linked are Jim Rutenberg, Stephanie Saul, and Lisa Lerer.

If we had a quick way to note they're known liars it'd help; the equivalent of a mark in their permanent record that anyone could reference. Reporters aren't a monolithic group. They will respond to the threat of public accountability tarring their chances at being taken seriously.

VideoTapir
Oct 18, 2005

He'll tire eventually.

John_A_Tallon posted:

If we had a quick way to note they're known liars it'd help; the equivalent of a mark in their permanent record that anyone could reference. Reporters aren't a monolithic group. They will respond to the threat of public accountability tarring their chances at being taken seriously.

I'd think this could be done with a browser extension, but the sites would probably change up how they do their by lines to break it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

silicone thrills
Jan 9, 2008

I paint things
God. I was just talking to a group of sort of random people on a zoom thing and some Australian was explaining their whole rapist insanity right now and I was like "well they learned from the best, how many of you have heard of Tara Reade and Biden's sexual offenses? and multiple US people were like "wait Tara Reid the actress?"

yep.