Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ham Equity
Apr 16, 2013

The first thing we do, let's kill all the cars.
Grimey Drawer

poo poo POST MALONE posted:

at my job we have to log time down to the 10th of a minute.

This is a joke, right? Or your meal tenth of an hour?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

"Are you forgetting that just this afternoon I was punched in the face by a turtle now dead?
"Sorry boss, we decided collectively to take a long rest."

Homocow
Apr 24, 2007

Extremely bad poster!
DO NOT QUOTE!

Pillbug

Shame Boy posted:

I had to go find the original reddit post because I'm intrigued, and the actual thing they're talking about is this infographic:

I'm "party lads"
I'm the unacknowledged segment of applicants that end in "committed suicide"

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

"Are you forgetting that just this afternoon I was punched in the face by a turtle now dead?

Thanatosian posted:

This is a joke, right? Or your meal tenth of an hour?

meals are 30 minutes but you can usually agree with your manager that the 10 minute break can be skipped and rolled into it for a 40 minute snack fest. if you want to take a longer lunch then, per the contract and general understanding with management, you will need to flex your day to work a full 8 hours (or make up the hours on another day that your manager agrees to).

it's not like you have to check in every six minutes. it's just that the granularity of the tracking is to the tenth of an hour.

it's all bad but it relies on your manager giving a poo poo. I've had some that care a LOT and others that don't know poo poo about dick.

Buck Turgidson
Feb 6, 2011

𓀬𓀠𓀟𓀡𓀢𓀣𓀤𓀥𓀞𓀬

lol what? what do you put in the log? "updated log"?

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost

Spatial posted:

Someone I know recently got into a comical situation like this. Except there was no team, just him.

Due to stupid company politics and being a ridiculous pushover with no self worth whatsoever and OCD as hell to boot, this guy never advanced in rank and never got any subordinates to help him, yet he somehow became equivalent to a country-level manager for multiple customers in actual job function. Their customers know him and ask for him by name. They're huge military contractors who have long-winded clearance processes, very strict SLAs to meet etc.

Hundreds of millions of company revenue completely depends on this one guy. He's the only one who knows how anything works and can fix problems quickly. He gets paid like 50k and he has to travel constantly and face incredibly hosed up situations at very short notice. He looks like he's dying at all times and friends have told him he is a moron repeatedly for putting up with it. At least one person in his role has commited suicide in the last few years. In a show of incredible sensitivity they named a lunchroom in his honour.

I never thought he would grow a backbone but he finally reached some kind of a limit last month and decided to leave. He called his manager and gave his two weeks notice. The manager said "ok" and took the rest of the day off in response. Soon successively higher level managers started calling our hero at home to beg him to stay as they realised the sheer level of disaster that was about to unfold and the insane explanations they were going to have to give. They were offering him all sorts of poo poo, quadruple pay, triple vacation etc.

Imagine the leverage this motherfucker has in this situation lmao. Their company will straight up cease to function in multiple countries if he leaves and won't resume for the majority of a year, and they'll have to pay in blood from SLA violations the whole time because nobody will have the clearance or ability to do the work. It's literally impossible to hire a replacement who knows anything, nobody does, it's layers of obscure legacy enterprise custom garbage software all the way down. And you better believe they have nobody to spare from anywhere else.

Well he still decided to leave. As a compromise he agreed to do contract work for them for 1500 per day whenever he felt like it. Still a pushover, IMO he should have started at 50000 per day, demanded a 10% stake in the company and increased his offer 10% with each refusal.

loving lol at the whole situation

i used to charge 1500/day for contracts when i did them and i didnt even do any clearance or enterprisey bullshit, just normal and machine learning software lol

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

Buck Turgidson posted:

lol what? what do you put in the log? "updated log"?

in the official timekeeping record there aren't notes to attach (though sometimes for overhead activities you'll be given a "field 2" or "field 3" code to fill in so they know exactly what you were doing that didn't produce shareholder value for the company).

however in my business unit we have a separate information system that we are REQUIRED to make match the official timekeeping record (they publish a workbook so we can see our compliance %) and that's where we log notes.

yeah you gotta do it twice lmfao

Boxman
Sep 27, 2004

Big fan of :frog:

meals are 30 minutes but you can usually agree with your manager that the 10 minute break can be skipped and rolled into it for a 40 minute snack fest. if you want to take a longer lunch then, per the contract and general understanding with management, you will need to flex your day to work a full 8 hours (or make up the hours on another day that your manager agrees to).

it's not like you have to check in every six minutes. it's just that the granularity of the tracking is to the tenth of an hour.

it's all bad but it relies on your manager giving a poo poo. I've had some that care a LOT and others that don't know poo poo about dick.

lol okay that makes a lot more sense.

Fun fact, this is fairly standard practice for the legal industry. When I was doing doc review for a big firm, the billing software stuck a series of stopwatches on my desktop so I could start and stop the appropriate timers. Thank god I ended up at a job where I don't have to worry about billables.

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

Boxman posted:

lol okay that makes a lot more sense.

Fun fact, this is fairly standard practice for the legal industry. When I was doing doc review for a big firm, the billing software stuck a series of stopwatches on my desktop so I could start and stop the appropriate timers.

yeah but the difference is lawyers just work nonstop all the time (at least my brother does) whereas I show up at 7 and leave at 3:30 and anything after that is OT (to the tenth of an hour).

it contributes to a lot of anxiety for people (like me) who just want to work a straight 8 and go home. I worked with a guy who would flip out if he didn't know what chargeline he was supposed to be sitting on.

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

Everyone is confused because originally you said,

Which would mean logging your time down to 6 second increments.

grate deceiver
Jul 10, 2009

Just a funny av. Not a redtext or an own ok.
drat, meanwhile I gently caress around on the internet or play vibeojames for half a day, and then report it on the project that can soak the most hours as 'functional design' or 'troubleshooting' or some poo poo

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

Facebook Aunt posted:

Everyone is confused because originally you said,

Which would mean logging your time down to 6 second increments.

oh gently caress woops I meant hour. goddammit I'm sorry.

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

You couldn't grok my race car, but you dug the roadside blur.

oh gently caress woops I meant hour. goddammit I'm sorry.

TBF the premise that your job would make you log your time in duplicate in 6 second increments isn't that unbelievable.

palindrome
Feb 3, 2020

I once had a job where I was salaried but still had to log my time. The hosed up thing is that 6 different mid managers overseeing teams of 5-10 people would collude and create this giant spreadsheet showing how much time everyone logged each day for that week. They'd send out reminder emails and CC everyone with an obligatory "MAKE SURE TO REMEMBER TO UPDATE YOUR TIEME" and some blank cells highlighted in yellow.

So I'd get weekly updates about how many hours per week every other team was putting in, and they would get to see mine. Almost like there was some kind of competition or assumption that your hours worked should match the 50+ hours that all the other teams logged. Before salary I also had to do the "log it twice" thing though, once for the company and again for the contracting company that paid my wage and "benefits" (they kept about ~60% of whatever the company paid them). Weird how there was never any expectation of 41+ hours when the wage was calculated hourly though!

palindrome has issued a correction as of 00:04 on Mar 24, 2021

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

the funny thing is that my job offer is in salaried amounts but because of (union bargained) OT rules it's all done hourly anyway so I have an "hourly rate".

I heard about one old timer who just outright refused to use the secondary system and only used the official one but they never actually did anything to him.

The Nastier Nate
May 22, 2005

All aboard the corona bus!

HONK! HONK!

Yams Fan

palindrome posted:

I once had a job where I was salaried but still had to log my time. The hosed up thing is that 6 different mid managers overseeing teams of 5-10 people

Am I to understand the company had 6 managers overseeing 5 people doing actual work?

bedpan
Apr 23, 2008

The Nastier Nate posted:

Am I to understand the company had 6 managers overseeing 5 people doing actual work?

now this is capitalism!

bobmarleysghost
Mar 7, 2006

it's 5-6 managers with 5-6 teams of 5-10 people each

palindrome
Feb 3, 2020

^^^ correct

But then times got tough and they fired managers and combined teams, and then near the end we had a team of 3, and the manager and me and the senior guy all announced we were giving 2 weeks notice in the same Monday meeting. Lol.

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur
There was a punch clock at one of my last jobs that figured time by 100th of an hour. The clock shifted 0.01 every 36 seconds. If you punched in at 7:30, the punch would show 07.50. Punch out at 3:58pm? That's 15.97/98 on the card.

It made figuring up hours somewhat easier for payroll, I guess? Subtract time in from time out and you have the employees' time for the day to two decimals.

henkman
Oct 8, 2008

CRUSTY MINGE posted:

There was a punch clock at one of my last jobs that figured time by 100th of an hour. The clock shifted 0.01 every 36 seconds. If you punched in at 7:30, the punch would show 07.50. Punch out at 3:58pm? That's 15.97/98 on the card.

It made figuring up hours somewhat easier for payroll, I guess? Subtract time in from time out and you have the employees' time for the day to two decimals.

What the gently caress

palindrome
Feb 3, 2020

drat that sucks, time fuckery is the worst. I mean really, if there is a concept at large that humans can agree on, it's the idea of time. Everyone deals with it... very frequently even if you're a complete space case. But nonetheless we have to ruthlessly divide things HR-style until units are pointless and unusable, so you'll have .002666 of a paid hour, or .722222 of sick leave that you can't really take off. There needs to be a separate clock that you punch that starts paying you before you go into the stupid "login to work/punch the clock" routine that employers scam your time for. I would call it "you start getting paid the instant you walk in the front door" if not "crossing the property line of the parking lot."

Complications
Jun 19, 2014

palindrome posted:

drat that sucks, time fuckery is the worst. I mean really, if there is a concept at large that humans can agree on, it's the idea of time. Everyone deals with it... very frequently even if you're a complete space case. But nonetheless we have to ruthlessly divide things HR-style until units are pointless and unusable, so you'll have .002666 of a paid hour, or .722222 of sick leave that you can't really take off. There needs to be a separate clock that you punch that starts paying you before you go into the stupid "login to work/punch the clock" routine that employers scam your time for. I would call it "you start getting paid the instant you walk in the front door" if not "crossing the property line of the parking lot."

paying people doesn't make number grow

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur

henkman posted:

What the gently caress

Yeah.

I mean, they didn't give a gently caress if anyone was up to 15 minutes late, but they calculated your time down in 36sec increments and you were paid what you worked to that hundredth of an hour.

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

palindrome posted:

I mean really, if there is a concept at large that humans can agree on, it's the idea of time.

Seriously though it blew my mind when I realized that the reason we still use 60 seconds / 60 minutes / 360 degrees and poo poo is because the fuckin' ancient Sumerians used a base-60 system and figured this poo poo out well enough 4000 years ago that we haven't really had much reason to change it

Elman
Oct 26, 2009

Shame Boy posted:

Seriously though it blew my mind when I realized that the reason we still use 60 seconds / 60 minutes / 360 degrees and poo poo is because the fuckin' ancient Sumerians used a base-60 system and figured this poo poo out well enough 4000 years ago that we haven't really had much reason to change it

It's interesting how they came up with the number 60:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R9m2jck1f90&t=84s

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Shame Boy posted:

Meanwhile, their beer sucked.

(Only -5000 kids will get this.)

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost
sumerian beer was basically fermented porridge, like a wheat version of makgeolli

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

CRUSTY MINGE posted:

This is what happens when the modern Buckminster Fullers are wasting their talents in fake jobs like HR

GotLag
Jul 17, 2005

食べちゃダメだよ

Failed Imagineer posted:

This is what happens when the modern Buckminster Fullers are wasting their talents in fake jobs like HR

HR/MBA is where you go when you don't know anything useful or interesting, so no.

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

GotLag posted:

HR/MBA is where you go when you don't know anything useful or interesting, so no.

Well yeah, it was a joke

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

GotLag posted:

I thought it was ice-hockey.

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

bob dobbs is dead posted:

sumerian beer was basically fermented porridge, like a wheat version of makgeolli

I see an unexplored hook for microbros! Capitalism!

BonHair
Apr 28, 2007

I have also worked in Metric Minutes™. The worst part was having to do math if you for some reason needed to register an odd time amount. Which happened because the norm time was 7 hours 24 minutes, aka 7½ hours Mon-Thurs and 7 hours Friday, but with system logic.

Lib and let die
Aug 26, 2004

A week ago today, I had an anxiety attack that resulted in a seizure. I'd been sitting at my desk trying to get some work done (If I could have been allowed to actually put any time into something before being told, "Drop that, this is your priority now" on a ~15 minute cadence), and the last thing I remember was thinking "maybe my mother will stop asking me how I am if I just tell her the truth," so I sent her this:

quote:

well for the last few weeks i've been laying in bed until 2am suffering in existential dread of the work day that's coming with the inevitible ringing of the alarm clock and the resumption of my work day at a toxic employer with no accountability towards the people that CREATE the problems i have to deal with every day, and on top of my ~5 hours a night of sleep due to crippling anxiety, I had to cancel my apnea test because blue loving cross wants seven loving hundred dollars for me to take a nap with some wires attached to me

Next thing I knew, I was coming out of the postictal phase with a nurse standing over me saying "Sweetie, sweetie, you're okay, you're in the ER, you had a pretty nasty seizure. Do you know who the President is?" (to which I had to answer, "Yes, but I'm not sure ol' Rapey Joe Biden knows he's President though," because the only coping mechanism I have is awful humor). On Dr's orders, I take Thursday and Friday off to get some rest - poor quality/little sleep, combined with runaway anxiety can trigger seizures in someone that's prone to them, and I'd clearly hit my threshold. I let my bosses know, get a "thanks for the update, we'll chat on Monday" email back, and go about my unplanned four day weekend.

So Monday rolls around and neither of my bosses are interested in having a conversation with me - they won't accept invites to a Teams meeting, they won't answer my direct messages, they're only interested in emailing, so I send them an email letting them know what happened, and the circumstances that prompted the seizure - specifically an anxiety attack that spiraled out of control, in the middle of the work day.

I got back an email that hinted at (because they're smart enough to not actually SAY it) what an inconvenience it was for the rest of the team for me to be out for so long while being so behind on my work, and to reply all to advise where exactly in the pile I was jumping back in.

That's it. No, "I hope you're feeling better," no, "Is there anything we can do that might alleviate these attacks," no "do you need some additional help in getting back up to speed," just, back to work, binch.

I've got a 2.5 hour interview scheduled with a company that services Nonprofits tomorrow and I've got a good indicator that I'll know if I have the job or not by Friday. If I do get the offer, I've decided I'm not giving them two weeks. I'm just going to send my bosses an email letting them know that their unbridled compassion for an ailing "team member" was one of the major contributors to my decision, and ask them to send me a shipping label for their junk equipment.My wife and I are probably going to argue over it, because she thinks I should leave the avenue to return here open in case I have to fall back on this company a 3rd time (yes, I was stupid enough to come back here once after getting out but then getting laid off due to COVID bullshit).

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018
I think it's like a relationship and you're ultimately better off just saying "we're done" with no explanation and then cutting contact. If they want an exit interview they can pay you as a contractor to get it

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

Lib and let die posted:

A week ago today, I had an anxiety attack that resulted in a seizure. I'd been sitting at my desk trying to get some work done (If I could have been allowed to actually put any time into something before being told, "Drop that, this is your priority now" on a ~15 minute cadence), and the last thing I remember was thinking "maybe my mother will stop asking me how I am if I just tell her the truth," so I sent her this:

Next thing I knew, I was coming out of the postictal phase with a nurse standing over me saying "Sweetie, sweetie, you're okay, you're in the ER, you had a pretty nasty seizure. Do you know who the President is?" (to which I had to answer, "Yes, but I'm not sure ol' Rapey Joe Biden knows he's President though," because the only coping mechanism I have is awful humor). On Dr's orders, I take Thursday and Friday off to get some rest - poor quality/little sleep, combined with runaway anxiety can trigger seizures in someone that's prone to them, and I'd clearly hit my threshold. I let my bosses know, get a "thanks for the update, we'll chat on Monday" email back, and go about my unplanned four day weekend.

So Monday rolls around and neither of my bosses are interested in having a conversation with me - they won't accept invites to a Teams meeting, they won't answer my direct messages, they're only interested in emailing, so I send them an email letting them know what happened, and the circumstances that prompted the seizure - specifically an anxiety attack that spiraled out of control, in the middle of the work day.

I got back an email that hinted at (because they're smart enough to not actually SAY it) what an inconvenience it was for the rest of the team for me to be out for so long while being so behind on my work, and to reply all to advise where exactly in the pile I was jumping back in.

That's it. No, "I hope you're feeling better," no, "Is there anything we can do that might alleviate these attacks," no "do you need some additional help in getting back up to speed," just, back to work, binch.

I've got a 2.5 hour interview scheduled with a company that services Nonprofits tomorrow and I've got a good indicator that I'll know if I have the job or not by Friday. If I do get the offer, I've decided I'm not giving them two weeks. I'm just going to send my bosses an email letting them know that their unbridled compassion for an ailing "team member" was one of the major contributors to my decision, and ask them to send me a shipping label for their junk equipment.My wife and I are probably going to argue over it, because she thinks I should leave the avenue to return here open in case I have to fall back on this company a 3rd time (yes, I was stupid enough to come back here once after getting out but then getting laid off due to COVID bullshit).

poo poo man, that's some rough stuff. I hope things work out for you :sigh:

GotLag
Jul 17, 2005

食べちゃダメだよ
Do you even need to tell them? Just stop turning up and go to your new job.

Lib and let die
Aug 26, 2004

GotLag posted:

Do you even need to tell them? Just stop turning up and go to your new job.

I'm New England Irish-Italian descent. Telling people off gets me off.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Salvor_Hardin
Sep 13, 2005

I want to go protest.
Nap Ghost

e: lmao I meant hour. tenth of an hour. not minute. god dammit.

That is insane. When I was doing it by the hour I would still just fudge it since time doesn't just fall into quantized neat little buckets like that.