Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

I'm not a fascist. I'm a priest. Fascists dress up in black and tell people what to do.

learnincurve posted:

For every cast iron fire there are a million trampolines taken away for free.

Seriously, just flag down the scrap van as it goes past and they will even disassemble it for you.

Give away... scrap?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ThomasPaine
Feb 4, 2009

We have no compassion and we ask no compassion from you. When our turn comes, we shall not make excuses for the terror.
Speaking of trampolines it's kind of weird that those little backyard models became a pretty solid marker of the aspirational working class round where I lived. Rows upon rows of them behind every house. Seems weirdly niche, but they really caught on.

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

Scikar posted:

Scotland can't hold a legally binding referendum, but afaik an advisory referendum is still legal. And we kind of have a precedent for advisory referenda now.

Parliament (the UK one) is sovereign. Holding an 'advisory referendum' when said parliament opposes it ends up with the situation in Catalonia, which doesn't benefit anyone but definitely doesn't benefit a Scotland that would presumably like to rejoin the EU and would therefore want Spanish support for that.

Grey Hunter
Oct 17, 2007

Hero of the soviet union.
Accidental destroyer of planets

OwlFancier posted:

A shameful dad that does not relish the thought of building his own patio.

We've just had a patio/driveway laid (patio at back, drive at front.) and half the crew were Irish.
the (Irish) forman straight up appologised for the work being completed a day late, which was due to it being St Patricks Day, and that had caused a delay in the project.

While it may not have been the most professional excuse, I can't fault him for his honesty, and they did the job in a week (and a day) we thought would take them two.

His Divine Shadow posted:

Give away... scrap?

Sometimes it's easier than dealing with it yourself. Anything big and metal left on the front normally gets a polite knock on the door within a couple of hours. I have no idea how often the guys patrol the streets near us, but several things have been scrapped that would have cost us a lot of money or effort to move - includin an old range cooker.

Red Oktober
May 24, 2006

wiggly eyes!

Grey Hunter posted:

Sometimes it's easier than dealing with it yourself. Anything big and metal left on the front normally gets a polite knock on the door within a couple of hours. I have no idea how often the guys patrol the streets near us, but several things have been scrapped that would have cost us a lot of money or effort to move - includin an old range cooker.

My parents had a knock on the door within 2 minutes of the John Lewis van leaving having delivered their cooker to see if they could take the old one away. They must have either followed the van or had a call from their mate in it when my parents didn't want to pay the £80 or so to have JL take the old one away.

ThomasPaine posted:

Speaking of trampolines it's kind of weird that those little backyard models became a pretty solid marker of the aspirational working class round where I lived. Rows upon rows of them behind every house. Seems weirdly niche, but they really caught on.

I saw one of these do an absolute flyer down one of the estates in Bermondsey during the high winds last year. For the size and weight of them, when the wind gets under they can reach a remarkable height.

Communist Thoughts
Jan 7, 2008

Our war against free speech cannot end until we silence this bronze beast!

I had a trampoline as a kid and theyr great fun and an endless source of injury.

There's something about bouncing on a trampoline that makes you talkative cause me and my friends would just jump for hours and chat about stuff we'd have never said if we weren't bouncing

StarkingBarfish
Jun 25, 2006

Novus Ordo Seclorum

ThomasPaine posted:

Same here. I think they're a good way to keep kids entertained outdoors and a slew of them came on the market dirt cheap at about the same time. They seem to last quite a while even if the ones in the gardens near me are beginning to get a bit manky.

E: network rail hate the fuckers, every time there's a gust of wind they seem to end up on train tracks.

https://www.networkrail.co.uk/news/plea-to-railway-neighbours-after-airborne-trampoline-disrupts-passengers/

Maugrim
Feb 16, 2011

I eat your face

ThomasPaine posted:

Both my kids (toddlers) will throw a goddamn tantrum every single day they are denied access to the neighbours' trampoline, which is every day in covid times. It's got to the point I actually dread taking them into the garden because they have a perfectly nice climbing frame here but within 5 minutes they will be craning over the fence demanding trampoline.

So yeah I can understand why every family in a row of houses would end up with one.

Trickjaw
Jun 23, 2005
Nadie puede dar lo que no tiene

Now Kieth is complaining he don't have enough loving sojers.

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

I'm not a fascist. I'm a priest. Fascists dress up in black and tell people what to do.

Maugrim posted:

Both my kids (toddlers) will throw a goddamn tantrum every single day they are denied access to the neighbours' trampoline, which is every day in covid times. It's got to the point I actually dread taking them into the garden because they have a perfectly nice climbing frame here but within 5 minutes they will be craning over the fence demanding trampoline.

So yeah I can understand why every family in a row of houses would end up with one.

A trampoline is real nice to have. During the heatwave summer of 2018 I think it was it was so hot even during nights that we slept outside in it.

ThomasPaine
Feb 4, 2009

We have no compassion and we ask no compassion from you. When our turn comes, we shall not make excuses for the terror.

Maugrim posted:

We never had one :(

Despite growing up poor my parents entered the lower middle class during the Thatcher years and afterwards developed a very strange but palpable sense of ingrained classism that borders on self-punishment. I think they felt things like that might undermine their newfound sense of superiority over their neighbours.

keep punching joe
Jan 22, 2006

Die Satan!
haha

https://twitter.com/spectator/status/1374661064185454597

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Sorry I thought you were a landlord when I gave you your old avatar!
Conversation with mother just now.
Me: police have gone in and roughed up a peaceful traveller camp.
Mother: I don't blame them after Clapham Junction.
Me: actually there are eye witness reports saying that was a peaceful event until the police came charging in with their batons.
Mother: well the police didn't set fire to their own car did they
Me: well what would you do if you were peacefully sitting and a police person came and cracked you over the head with a big stick
Mother: but from different angles it didn't look like that
Me: but you watch the BBC news which is straight out of Tory HQ
Mother: I'd rather trust the BBC than North Korea.

ThomasPaine
Feb 4, 2009

Jaeluni Asjil posted:

Mother: I'd rather trust the BBC than North Korea.

Is North Korean coverage an option?

IllusionistTrixie
Feb 6, 2003

Communist Thoughts posted:

Basically labour is the big amazonian temple prison they kept the evil cube (leftism) in and now containment has been breached and kier is the muscular woman with a sledgehammer trying to knock the supports down and plunge it into the sea

... I saw justice league

I thought that was x-men age of apocalypse?

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018
At least with DPRK news you might get some hilarious CGI . The Beeb is just the propaganda with none of the production quality

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

IllusionistTrixie posted:

I thought that was x-men age of apocalypse?

There was a recent tweet to the effect of "all blockbusters are now just cgi men fighting for control of a cube" and it was deeply true

Lord of the Llamas
Jul 9, 2002

EULER'VE TO SEE IT VENN SOMEONE CALLS IT THE WRONG THING AND PROVOKES MY WRATH

Red Oktober posted:

My parents had a knock on the door within 2 minutes of the John Lewis van leaving having delivered their cooker to see if they could take the old one away. They must have either followed the van or had a call from their mate in it when my parents didn't want to pay the £80 or so to have JL take the old one away.

I saw one of these do an absolute flyer down one of the estates in Bermondsey during the high winds last year. For the size and weight of them, when the wind gets under they can reach a remarkable height.

As someone who recently had an appliance delivered from JL; it's 20 quid to have your old one taken away so I don't know who told your parents 80.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

And yet nobody is making another sequel to Cube.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
Cube³: 3 Cube 3 Curious

Failed Imagineer posted:

There was a recent tweet to the effect of "all blockbusters are now just cgi men fighting for control of a cube" and it was deeply true
There was also a recent tweet to the effect of "topanga's husband found shrimp in his cereal" and I'm now down a rabbit hole of US food standards and social media customer services gaslighting, help.

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

Guavanaut posted:

Cube³: 3 Cube 3 Curious

There was also a recent tweet to the effect of "topanga's husband found shrimp in his cereal" and I'm now down a rabbit hole of US food standards and social media customer services gaslighting, help.

That is an especially puzzling rabbithole

https://twitter.com/inar/status/1374583624549330952?s=19

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

I don't know who any of those people are.

Or things.

Other than the cereal I have heard of cinnamon toast crunch.

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

OwlFancier posted:

I don't know who any of those people are.

Or things.

Other than the cereal I have heard of cinnamon toast crunch.

Its an S-tier cereal though, shrimp or no shrimp :yum:

Reveilled
Apr 19, 2007

Take up your rifles

Scikar posted:

Scotland can't hold a legally binding referendum, but afaik an advisory referendum is still legal. And we kind of have a precedent for advisory referenda now.

The problem with an advisory referendum is that if it's not with Westminster's blessing, the unionist parties will boycott it, and that will be all the excuse needed for Westminster to ignore it as illegitimate, even if it was legal. Then the nationalist side is faced with a choice of either doing a UDI or just complaining; the former will go completely unrecognised (no matter how much some of the nuttier factions of the SNP have convinced themselves otherwise), the latter will achieve nothing.

The only thing I can reasonably see working is if the SNP force a vote that the unionists can't boycott. And the only way I can see to do that is to have the SNP MPs resign en masse (blah blah office of profit blah blah) and campaign for re-election on an abstentionist policy as an ersatz referendum. That, the unionists can't boycott, and if the SNP can win on an abstentionist policy (something it should be noted the party currently strongly opposes), that actually damages the legitimacy of Westminster and might be sufficient pressure to effect change.

And if that doesn't work, well, my read of pro-indy sentiment is that basically nobody is willing to actually pick up a gun for it.

Red Oktober
May 24, 2006

wiggly eyes!

Lord of the Llamas posted:

As someone who recently had an appliance delivered from JL; it's 20 quid to have your old one taken away so I don't know who told your parents 80.

I think it was JL. At any rate whoever it was because it wasn't pre-booked it was £40/appliance, and they had a double oven so it was two appliances.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

I don't think that the SNP just handing votes to the tories actually damages the legitimacy of westminster at all tbh.

Brendan Rodgers
Jun 11, 2014

OwlFancier posted:

And yet nobody is making another sequel to Cube.

There's a western remake in production called Cubed, and a Japanese remake out in a few months called Cube.

keep punching joe
Jan 22, 2006

Die Satan!

OwlFancier posted:

I don't think that the SNP just handing votes to the tories actually damages the legitimacy of westminster at all tbh.

Forcing 47 simultaneous by-elections on a UDI ticket sounds like fun, how long would there be for unionist parties to form a tactical voting strategy?

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

Brendan Rodgers posted:

There's a western remake in production called Cubed, and a Japanese remake out in a few months called Cube.

Let's not forget The Cube/Celebrity Cube/Million Pound Cube with Philip Schofield, although at this point the Cinematic Cubeiverse is getting very convoluted

Bobstar
Feb 8, 2006

KartooshFace, you are not responding efficiently!

You have 6 months to make your film... you have 1 month... your film has been taken over and turned into a remake of Cube... you have 6 months to make your remake of Cube

Reveilled
Apr 19, 2007

Take up your rifles

OwlFancier posted:

Well, in the current parliament it doesn't make much of a difference. I do think it would damage legitimacy, though. Westminster certainly would still have the power (in which case it's back to the "are you willing to pick up a gun?" question), but legitimacy is about prestige and public perception, and if nothing else, it would damage those things in Scotland I think, and I genuinely think it would do the same in England and abroad. I think the tories would want Johnson's head over it at least, regardless of how it affects their majority.

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

His Divine Shadow posted:

Give away... scrap?

Aluminium tube scrap value is like a 50p a kilo, tops, and there's what, 20 kilos in a trampoline frame? Maybe 5 kilos of spring steel which goes for about a quid a kilo. Maybe if you live right next to the scrappy and can just walk it across it's worth it and even then that doesn't account for the time spent dismantling it.

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

Bobstar posted:

You have 6 months to make your film... you have 1 month... your film has been taken over and turned into a remake of Cube... you have 6 months to make your remake of Cube

Lol. This kind of combinatory value belongs in the simpsons meme thread

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat

Maugrim posted:

We live in a London terrace and a big chunk of our small garden is taken up with a 6ft trampoline. My son (now 9) loves it. He has had it for about 2.5 years now and he still loves it. Apart from the jumping (good for balance, exercise etc) we also just play on it (eg wrestling) quite a lot. In summer we will lie on it and read stories, etc. It's probably the best thing we ever bought and it's definitely the best present we ever got him.

Rumda
Nov 4, 2009

Moth Lesbian Comrade
yeah I would have loved a decent sized trampoline as a kid we had a small fold away one when me and my brothers were young

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

The large trampolines they have at... trampoline places, with the big nets that send you like 15 feet into the air look like fun, but I have never been on a trampoline so I would probably just die.

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018
The big safe ones are cool, but the only time I went on a garden one I twisted my ankle within 5 minutes. I also cut my head open on a doorjamb at that same party so it might have just been the fact that I was pissed

ro5s
Dec 27, 2012

A happy little mouse!

keep punching joe posted:

Forcing 47 simultaneous by-elections on a UDI ticket sounds like fun, how long would there be for unionist parties to form a tactical voting strategy?

Labour would immediately roll over for the tories

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018
Speaking of anti-Ziganism

https://twitter.com/GrantDCostello/status/1374700839080755200?s=19

Jfc

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

namesake
Jun 19, 2006

"When I was a girl, around 12 or 13, I had a fantasy that I'd grow up to marry Captain Scarlet, but he'd be busy fighting the Mysterons so I'd cuckold him with the sexiest people I could think of - Nigel Mansell, Pat Sharp and Mr. Blobby."

Failed Imagineer posted:

At least with DPRK news you might get some hilarious CGI . The Beeb is just the propaganda with none of the production quality

BBC news at one finished off introducing a Syrian refugee who charted their journey over the water to get to the UK with 'they have described themselves as a Labour supporter' for no reason i can see other than attempting to bias the audience against them.