Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
What are you hitting monsters with?
Bow
Charge Blade
Dual Blades
Great Sword
Gunlance
Hammer
Heavy Bowgun
Hunting Horn
Insect Glaive
Lance
Light Bowgun
Longsword
Switch Axe
Sword and Shield
View Results

wuggles
Jul 12, 2017

watched the DF video and read the Eurogamer review. hootin and hollerin. so glad I don't have to wait for my friends to finish cutscenes

e: new page tax

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

infraboy
Aug 15, 2002

Phungshwei!!!!!!1123
Looks like Rise has solid early reviews, I guess I will pre-order. I did enjoy grinding through World and Iceborne

Shine
Feb 26, 2007

No Muscles For The Majority

Inzombiac posted:

People keep singing the praises of Lance but I never got in to it.

What's a good guide for Rise? I know the live could be different but a short primer on how to be anything but a clumsy tank would be appreciated.

The Arekkz guide from World is fine, as the base World controls for Lance are the same as Rise. You gotta translate PS4 buttons to Switch, but the physical position of the buttons is identical.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YnTvdDxO5ZU

Guard Dash, which comes up around 9:30, is a huge part of becoming less clumsy. I consider it the cornerstone of Lance mobility.

When Lance fans say that Lance is a mobile weapon, that's not telling the whole story. With the exception of Charge, Lance does not actually move more quickly or nimbly than many other weapons. If you and a Hunting Horn are standing side-by-side, and you do the Guard Dash/Leaping Thrust combo while the Horn rolls a few times, you'll move around the same distance at about the same speed. If you Guard Dash to your character's left and the Horn rolls in the same direction, then the Horn is actually superior, as Lance cannot Leaping Thrust to its sides, so you'd have to either turn to the side first to Guard Dash/Leaping Thrust, or use the little hops after a sideways Guard Dash, whereas the Horn can simply roll to the left again. So that's not great.

So how is Lance mobile? The big difference here is in the defensive utility of Lance's movement, and how it allows you to beeline at monsters the majority of the time, whereas a Horn needs to take more care with its spacing and positioning around the monster. You are basically invincible while doing a Guard Dash. You block to the front and well around your sides, allowing you to use it with near-impunity unless the monster is directly behind you. If a monster is doing some move where it has a very large hitbox that is tricky/impossible to i-frame through with a roll, you as Lance can just Guard Dash right into or "through" that attack and give no fucks, whereas the Horn may need to roll in a safer direction and reposition.

The Lance's Charge, while it has a delay to start, can close long distances more quickly than other weapons. It's not good for short distances, since it has a little delay at the start, but for long distances, you'll run quickly enough to make up for that initial delay. If a monster does a leaping attack that moves it very far away, a Lance that immediately starts to Charge will get back on offense sooner than other melee players, assuming they all start running from the same general place. And while you don't guard during a Charge (despite the animation annoyingly suggesting that you would), you can immediately exit Charge into a guard with R2, so again, it's safe to use it to advance on a far-away monster, as long as you have the reflexes to hit R2 in time (or dodge with the little Charge side-steps, perhaps).

So your movement speed isn't special, but your ability to move directly at the monster safely is why people call Lance a mobile weapon.

I've posted this video a bunch before, highlighting stellar Lance play in the Rise demo:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-fF8q1Ucecw

Look at how often this player uses Guard Dash, safely moving toward Mizutsune when there's any small distance between them, and how Charge allows the player to close those larger distances and end with either an offensive or defensive move, as appropriate. One of Lance's demo wirebug moves is a string that you can attach to the monster, allowing you to leap into it when it moves away, but this player doesn't bother with it (nor do I) because they can simply use Guard Dash and Charge to close distance.

Lance mobility really clicked for me once I burned Guard Dash into my muscle memory. It's basically "roll except guarding," and that's loving huge in this game.

RazzleDazzleHour
Mar 31, 2016

drat, is one of the lances special skills just an outright invuln button with a counterattack?

Shine
Feb 26, 2007

No Muscles For The Majority

RazzleDazzleHour posted:

drat, is one of the lances special skills just an outright invuln button with a counterattack?

Yup. It gives you a temporary offense buff, too. The more powerful the attack you counter, the better your buff.

It can be tricky, though, because it only blocks one attack, and the recovery is pretty slow, so combo attacks will hit you. In those cases, I find it better to use Power Guard, which can block multiple attacks in a row (albeit with more chip damage than a normal guard), and you explicitly choose when to do your counterattack. It's very useful when, say, you find yourself surrounded by Bazel scales or Brachy blobs that are all about to burst, or if you're at a weird angle where two of Rathian's triple-fireballs could hit you.

Cant Ride A Bus
Apr 9, 2012

"Batman, Bruce Wayne. Bruce Wayne, Batman. Or have you met?"

wuggles posted:

watched the DF video and read the Eurogamer review. hootin and hollerin. so glad I don't have to wait for my friends to finish cutscenes

e: new page tax

I wanted that stuffed palamute so badly. I showed my fiancée who saw the size and the price tag and was told “absolutely not”.

RazzleDazzleHour
Mar 31, 2016

Cant Ride A Bus posted:

I wanted that stuffed palamute so badly. I showed my fiancée who saw the size and the price tag and was told “absolutely not”.

"We have a Palamute at home"

The Palamute at home:

boz
Oct 16, 2005

RazzleDazzleHour posted:

"We have a Palamute at home"

The Palamute at home:

Bet that dog can only drift on tile floors.

Hellioning
Jun 27, 2008

Both 3U and 4U (and Generations) are on sale on the 3DS Eshop for less than 10 dollars a piece. I am going to buy 3U because I want to see how awful Underwater Combat is and I will buy 4U because I have been informed the Guildmarm is cute.

This is almost certainly a mistake but I need 4 new Monster Hunter games to play at a time apperantly.

RazzleDazzleHour
Mar 31, 2016

Hellioning posted:

Both 3U and 4U (and Generations) are on sale on the 3DS Eshop for less than 10 dollars a piece. I am going to buy 3U because I want to see how awful Underwater Combat is and I will buy 4U because I have been informed the Guildmarm is cute.

The Guildmarm is SUPER cute but the water fights in 3 were a huge wall for me as my first MH game.

Man, I kind of wish I could go back to being bad at the game like when I first played 3 on the Wii. I like...could NOT beat Barroth after so many attempts and then decided to actually buy the game instead of renting it from Family Video over and over. It came with a controller (I was using the Wiimote with nunchaku) and as soon as I switched over to that I beat it on my first try

Bananasaurus Rex
Mar 19, 2009
Underwater combat is where Lance could really shine. Weapon was great underwater unlike most others.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

LET ME PLAY THIS GAME ALREADY, CAPCOM

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

Speaking of fashion: Is there some kind of transmog system out of the gate this time? I remember MHW took awhile to add it, and then it came kind of in a limited capacity.

TaurusOxford
Feb 10, 2009

Dad of the Year 2021

Oxyclean posted:

Speaking of fashion: Is there some kind of transmog system out of the gate this time? I remember MHW took awhile to add it, and then it came kind of in a limited capacity.

Sadly, no. Hopefully it comes with the two major "finish the game" title updates but as of 1.0 all you're getting is the pre-order/amiibo layered stuff.

Edit: By the end of Iceborne you had practically the entire armor selection available to be made as layered.

Nuns with Guns
Jul 23, 2010

It's fine.
Don't worry about it.
I like hunting monsters.

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

TaurusOxford posted:

Sadly, no. Hopefully it comes with the two major "finish the game" title updates but as of 1.0 all you're getting is the pre-order/amiibo layered stuff.

Edit: By the end of Iceborne you had practically the entire armor selection available to be made as layered.

Did they ever make master rank stuff layered? I remember they started with low and high rank stuff, but by that point all the stuff I wanted to layer was the cool new master rank stuff.

Mechafunkzilla
Sep 11, 2006

If you want a vision of the future...
Is there any kind of bonus that we'll get for killing Magnamalo in the demo?

FrozenPhoenix71
Jan 9, 2019

Oxyclean posted:

Did they ever make master rank stuff layered? I remember they started with low and high rank stuff, but by that point all the stuff I wanted to layer was the cool new master rank stuff.

Yes, they did. I'm struggling to think of any piece of armor that didnt end up with layered armor by the end of the game tbh.

v1ld
Apr 16, 2012

Watched some of the Arekkz review stream and the hype keeps getting hyper and hyperer.

Kerbtree
Sep 8, 2008

BAD FALCON!
LAZY!
Fingers crossed the farm mechanic stays sensible. Having to hire and level cats is to do it was unnecessary faff back in GenU compared to 3 and 4.

Huxley
Oct 10, 2012

Grimey Drawer
My phone fed me a 7.5 review this morning complaining that the gameplay hasn't grown much since World and the story was practically non-existent.

It has only made me more excited.

Huxley fucked around with this message at 14:47 on Mar 24, 2021

Alxprit
Feb 7, 2015

<click> <click> What is it with this dancing?! Bouncing around like fools... I would have thought my own kind at least would understand the seriousness of our Adventurer's Guild!

Really, very limited layered armor to start? Ah well... maybe event quests can save the day.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Have any reviews talked about the variety of weapon designs? From what I can see in the videos I've watched it looks much better than World on that front, and if that's the case I'm very excited.

Badly Jester
Apr 9, 2010

Bitches!

Harrow posted:

Have any reviews talked about the variety of weapon designs? From what I can see in the videos I've watched it looks much better than World on that front, and if that's the case I'm very excited.

I've seen a couple reviews that have pointed out that the weapon design is much more varied than in World, yeah.

TaurusOxford
Feb 10, 2009

Dad of the Year 2021

Harrow posted:

The only weapons that stick to the iron/bone+monster bits are the World-exclusives that were like it to begin with. World's uniques carried over, and weapons from older monsters that were butchered have been redone to be unique again, such as Narga's Dual Blades or Tigrex's Insect Glaive.

Boba Pearl
Dec 27, 2019

by Athanatos
World's Great Swords were so boring until you really got into the game. I wish they'd just do away with bone / iron weapons all together besides being the first you pick up, and immediately going into crazy weapons made from bits.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

I've played some of the demo now, and yeah i broke my rule and preordered :shobon:

I keep forgetting to use the wirebug controls, except one. That sweet recovery move with zl+b, is there any way to get to that with weapon drawn without having to get hit first?

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Harrow posted:

There’s albums out there showing all the weapons and yeah weapon design is way more varied and fun this time around.

Dual blades get pistol swords :getin:

Star
Jul 15, 2005

Guerilla war struggle is a new entertainment.
Fallen Rib
Insanely hyped for Friday but I can’t decide whether to start with the bow or IG

Huxley
Oct 10, 2012

Grimey Drawer
I dug out the Wii and Tri this morning, but can't find my pro controller anywhere, so going to brave a Wiimote and see how it goes.

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

If anyone wasn't aware and wants a physical copy Amazon has the steelbook edition available to pre-order for £39.99 so that's a tenner saved.

Alxprit
Feb 7, 2015

<click> <click> What is it with this dancing?! Bouncing around like fools... I would have thought my own kind at least would understand the seriousness of our Adventurer's Guild!

Huxley posted:

I dug out the Wii and Tri this morning, but can't find my pro controller anywhere, so going to brave a Wiimote and see how it goes.

It sucks. I used Lance in Tri since the weapon roster was so limited, and you needed to tilt the Wiimote sideways before pressing A to do the thrust upwards I think? Something ridiculous like that.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

TaurusOxford posted:

The only weapons that stick to the iron/bone+monster bits are the World-exclusives that were like it to begin with. World's uniques carried over, and weapons from older monsters that were butchered have been redone to be unique again, such as Narga's Dual Blades or Tigrex's Insect Glaive.

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

There’s albums out there showing all the weapons and yeah weapon design is way more varied and fun this time around.

Hell yes

Chin Strap
Nov 24, 2002

I failed my TFLC Toxx, but I no longer need a double chin strap :buddy:
Pillbug
What are reviews saying about performance?

Amp
Sep 10, 2010

:11tea::bubblewoop::agesilaus::megaman::yoshi::squawk::supaburn::iit::spooky::axe::honked::shroom::smugdog::sg::pkmnwhy::parrot::screamy::tubular::corsair::sanix::yeeclaw::hayter::flip::redflag:

Chin Strap posted:

What are reviews saying about performance?

There's an entire Digital Foundry article video (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iiVgTBROwNY) about it, but the short version is:

Docked: 756p
Handheld: 540p
FPS: Locked 30, almost all the time.

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

If you prefer to read it

https://www.eurogamer.net/articles/digitalfoundry-2021-monster-hunter-rise-switch-tech-review

Injuryprone
Sep 26, 2007

Speak up, there's something in my ear.

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

Any links?

Tender Bender
Sep 17, 2004

I didn't play very far into MH World, but glancing at layered armor it looks like they require a lot of materials to make. Is that right or is it stuff that drops in high quantities?

Like the wiki says a set of Barroth layered armor takes this list: seems like a pain
25 muddy crown
15 Barroth chine
10 weathered crag bone
15 fierce dragon vein bone

Huxley
Oct 10, 2012

Grimey Drawer

Alxprit posted:

It sucks. I used Lance in Tri since the weapon roster was so limited, and you needed to tilt the Wiimote sideways before pressing A to do the thrust upwards I think? Something ridiculous like that.

Trip report, this is correct.

Hammer is KIND of playable. I'm sure my poor classic controller got "cleaned up" at some point, that or my kids disappeared it without me noticing.

Also, since I talked up how clueless I was in Tri in the OP, my save file is 65 hours long. I made it two quests into 5-star Village and am wearing Baggi armor. So basically, I fell in LOVE with the series having spent 60 hours hunting Great Jaggi, Qurupeco, Royal Ludroth, Barroth, Gobul, Rathian, and Lagi. I guess I didn't understand that the City quests were the rest of the game because I beat Lagi, said "that's the monster on the box cover, clearly that's the game," and called it a day.

I DID have skills activated, Capture Expert, Focus, Speed Sharpening and Ice Res.

I would LOVE to find that controller, though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Evil Kit
May 29, 2013

I'm viable ladies.

Tender Bender posted:

I didn't play very far into MH World, but glancing at layered armor it looks like they require a lot of materials to make. Is that right or is it stuff that drops in high quantities?

Like the wiki says a set of Barroth layered armor takes this list: seems like a pain
25 muddy crown
15 Barroth chine
10 weathered crag bone
15 fierce dragon vein bone

the only real pain is any layered armor involving tickets or great vein spirit gems. Those mats are all pretty easy to get once you hit guiding lands and understand that game loop.