Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DelphiAegis
Jun 21, 2010

Dr. Clockwork posted:

Chop the base out of a spire in Plains. Stone for days.

I tried this once and mined out all the dirt below the big stone, but it didn't fall. Do I have to mine a "layer" out of the bottom or something?

E: A terrible page snipe.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Dr. Clockwork posted:

One of those doesn't even fill a chest. Stone deposits are harder to collapse but technically produce more stone.

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo

DelphiAegis posted:

I tried this once and mined out all the dirt below the big stone, but it didn't fall. Do I have to mine a "layer" out of the bottom or something?

E: A terrible page snipe.

You have two mine all the stone that's touching the ground. Mining out the dirt leaves it hovering

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin
Last night and today ailed to 3 ends of the earth, left portals at some of them, broke my ship, brought it home. The dagger works wonders in the biome that has enemies, you can just sprint up and slash them

Of course I got over confident and managed to die twice to fulings at night when fuckinf around on the plains. I wasnt packing health potions like usual and would get annoyed waiting for regen and bam, here comes 50 damage through my padded armor. Sheesh

Also if anyone is bored on their server send me a PM and come play on mine, we're definitely losing some interest late game so can always use new blood, especially new players (since raids are minimal threat level it's good for newbies and vets alike)

mastershakeman fucked around with this message at 00:41 on Mar 24, 2021

_____!
May 2, 2004

Dr. Clockwork posted:

I needed a bunch of stone and tried this last night. I got 3/4 of the way through the bottom and the whole spire just disappeared. Not collapsed, just there one frame and gone the next.

Everyone has been going with black metal for background tunes which is highly appropriate but I tried Tangerine Dream while exploring and that was pretty dope:3: The Legend soundtrack and Tangrams works pretty well. Don't know how much of it I'd listen to normally but as background music in a picturesque landscape viking simulator its a good fit.

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

Down came the glitches and burned us in ditches and we slept after eating our dead.
One of my favorite things about this game is how many bosses you can summon to fight simultaneously. Give me that challenge.

Clitch
Feb 26, 2002

I lived through
Donald Trump's presidency
and all I got was
this lousy virus

SubponticatePoster posted:

Once you've discovered a vein it stops pinging to avoid making you go bugfuck. So make sure to mark discovered veins on the map unless you remember exactly where they are.

I think it's been mentioned before, but it bears repeating: When you discover a silver vein, it's a good idea to dig out and expose the entire perimeter, before you mine it. The way picking stone raises the ground underneath you makes it easy to lose parts of the vein under the earth as you're mining it.

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

Down came the glitches and burned us in ditches and we slept after eating our dead.
I have dug out a massive conglomeration of three copper vein and two rocks and its just, uh... floating there.

This stuff is all supposed to collapse, right? Only silver is too hard to magically float?

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Whatever logic the game uses to determine some ore is hovering is pretty glitchy, it might be visually disconnected but the game still thinks it's attached. Just keep whacking at the bottom of the hover ore and eventually it falls apart.

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

Theres nothing left. From underneath I cant reach it with my pick, from the sides its all at least a cart length away.

My son says I should give up and just build a floating castle on so I guess I will do that instead.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Maybe copper doesn't collapse then. I know silver doesn't, but I never tried to make hover copper so have no actual experience!

pik_d
Feb 24, 2006

follow the white dove

TRP Post of the Month October 2021
It does, there's videos of it collapsing. Some of them have to pickaxe out the lowest part of the deposit (even if its not touching the ground) to make it happen.

Maybe build some stairs and give it a go?

Taffer
Oct 15, 2010

GlyphGryph posted:

Theres nothing left. From underneath I cant reach it with my pick, from the sides its all at least a cart length away.

My son says I should give up and just build a floating castle on so I guess I will do that instead.

Whack the vein itself in a few places, it sometimes needs something to trigger an update for it to realize it's not connected to the ground.

forbidden dialectics
Jul 26, 2005

Taffer posted:

Whack the vein itself in a few places, it sometimes needs something to trigger an update for it to realize it's not connected to the ground.

It's really odd; I THINK it's based on how it originally spawns. That is, you have to break every piece that was ever originally in contact with the ground when the seed generated it. This becomes really complicated and hard to figure out because of the very bizarre mechanic where swinging your pick over an "empty" cell will actually generate new ground material that can very easily cover up one of those "original" pieces.

While busting a whole vein all at once is almost orgasmically satisfying, it's probably just easier and quicker to dig it out from the top like normal.

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

Ah, if it's "any piece of the vein" then this isn't coming down - several chunks of one of the copper deposits extends beyond the maximum dig depth. Except a few edge pieces did fall down while I was digging it out, I'm pretty sure, it's just the main bulk of it thats still there...

super sweet best pal
Nov 18, 2009

Getting sick of corpse runs. You'd think by now survival games would've stopped using this mechanic because it doesn't add anything to the game and just makes more busywork.

Untrustable
Mar 17, 2009

Spent the time building a massive treehouse in the swamp that spans between two trees. It's like a big ol' great hall and then above that there is a workshop. Absolutely covered it in normal and green torches. Looks good. One thing I did realize is that there is no point putting a windmill in the swamp. No wind.

BeAuMaN
Feb 18, 2014

I'M A LEAD FARMER, MOTHERFUCKER!

pik_d posted:

It does, there's videos of it collapsing. Some of them have to pickaxe out the lowest part of the deposit (even if its not touching the ground) to make it happen.

Maybe build some stairs and give it a go?
yeah I've gone through this and it's a pain in the rear end. I wish it would just collapse or at least provide some pointer telling me where the last piece is that causes it to collapse.

Spanish Matlock
Sep 6, 2004

If you want to play the I-didn't-know-this-was-a-hippo-bar game with me, that's fine.

super sweet best pal posted:

Getting sick of corpse runs. You'd think by now survival games would've stopped using this mechanic because it doesn't add anything to the game and just makes more busywork.

Doing it any other way leads to suicide teleporting which is fun and interesting but not exactly stylistically consistent.

We modded in keep items on death on our Conan server after falling through the map once or twice and it took us about two seconds to punctuate resource runs with a swan dive off a cliff.

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo
Losing 15% of your skills because you're too lazy to haul metal to a boat is a fine trade-off

And there's a mod called gravekeeper that ends corpse runs if you don't want to deal with it

SquirrelGrip
Jul 4, 2012
waiting for friends to catch up so I claimed the north

Johnny Truant
Jul 22, 2008

Don't die, hth

Schneider Inside Her
Aug 6, 2009

Please bitches. If nothing else I am a gentleman

Johnny Truant posted:

Don't die, hth

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011

Untrustable posted:

Spent the time building a massive treehouse in the swamp that spans between two trees. It's like a big ol' great hall and then above that there is a workshop. Absolutely covered it in normal and green torches. Looks good. One thing I did realize is that there is no point putting a windmill in the swamp. No wind.

Did you use stone floors for fires/kilns/smelters or will wood hold them?

GENUINE CAT HERDER
Jan 2, 2004

Wedge Regret

Ravenfood posted:

Did you use stone floors for fires/kilns/smelters or will wood hold them?

Wood doesn't hold them, but you can build stone floors out of the tree (which technically counts as a solid object like the ground) will.

Here's a pic from an early treehouse I built that never really got finished because the swamp I built it in as a base to take down Bonemass, despite being enormous, had absolutely zero crypts in it.

From the bottom:

Edit: I'll probably finish it at some point, but right now it's just a glamor project. Well, everything probably is now that I've beaten everything...

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

I enjoy corpse runs. I've never found them particularly busy-worky? You're probably never going to be more than 20 minutes from wherever you died, and if you can demonstrate even the slightest bit of caution it will be a good deal less, and obviously that only applies to the first attempt to rescue your corpse since later attempts will be much quicker unless you're a crazy person who just YOLOs back into the same situation that killed you ten minutes earlier but with no equipment.

They're especially fun with multiple players

Ra Ra Rasputin
Apr 2, 2011
It gives the player a reason to be prepared before venturing into the unknown and not just suicide rush every new biome to get a feel for it.

You shouldn't be dying that much if you prepare with food, rest, daylight and equipment and have a nearby basecamp with a portal before exploring your first dangerous biome.

Johnny Truant
Jul 22, 2008

complaining about corpse runs is telling on yourself that you're an unprepared, weakass viking who certainly has no spot in Valhalla

Ra Ra Rasputin
Apr 2, 2011

Johnny Truant posted:

complaining about corpse runs is telling on yourself that you're an unprepared, weakass viking who certainly has no spot in Valhalla

Jack-Off Lantern
Mar 2, 2012

Johnny Truant posted:

It's a poo poo game mechanic in a very grindy, sometimes tedious game. It should be a toggle

punishedkissinger
Sep 20, 2017

i think the game would be worse if there were no consequences for death.

if you want a creative mode that's fine, but complaining about being mildly punished for dying in this game seems kinda lame and not very vikinglike.

Johnny Truant
Jul 22, 2008

Jack-Off Lantern posted:

It's a poo poo game mechanic in a very grindy, sometimes tedious game. It should be a toggle

oh no, the consequences of my actions of being a pathetic rear end viking :cry:

it's funny cause the game mechanic fits perfectly with the theme of this game, but because you're minorly inconvenienced(due to literally, 100% completely your own fault) it's garbage and wahhhhhhh

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Jack-Off Lantern posted:

Install Gravekeeper?

Lakitu7
Jul 10, 2001

Watch for spinys
I think corpse runs + the huge skill loss together is a bit too much of a double penalty. One or the other would be fine. I use the gravekeeper mod and keep the skill loss.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

punishedkissinger posted:

i think the game would be worse if there were no consequences for death.

if you want a creative mode that's fine, but complaining about being mildly punished for dying in this game seems kinda lame and not very vikinglike.

If only there were any other games that had ever experimented with what can happen when you die in a videogame so that we could have ideas about how else we might implement it.

If only I were a human being capable of making my own decisions about how I like to spend my time and not an infant who must merely be spoon fed and enjoy everything a developer decides I should enjoy.

Johnny Truant
Jul 22, 2008

Azhais posted:

Losing 15% of your skills because you're too lazy to haul metal to a boat is a fine trade-off

i missed this but i thought it was only 5%? i probably just misread

Jack-Off Lantern
Mar 2, 2012

Johnny Truant posted:

oh no, the consequences of my actions of being a pathetic rear end viking :cry:

it's funny cause the game mechanic fits perfectly with the theme of this game, but because you're minorly inconvenienced(due to literally, 100% completely your own fault) it's garbage and wahhhhhhh

Ah yes, let's be condescending rear end about it.

Truly, dying in a video game is my fault. How dare I live with this shame. I'm committing sudoku now.

I had my fun with this game, but if those tedious loops is what the community, like this arsehole above want...

punishedkissinger
Sep 20, 2017

if there were no penalties for death it would make exploration completely boring in this game. the most exciting moments are landing on a far-off biome and getting a portal/beachhead established

again, it's fine if you personally don't want to deal with it, but it completely makes sense for this game to penalize dying the way it does

Spanish Matlock
Sep 6, 2004

If you want to play the I-didn't-know-this-was-a-hippo-bar game with me, that's fine.

Jack-Off Lantern posted:

Ah yes, let's be condescending rear end about it.

Truly, dying in a video game is my fault. How dare I live with this shame. I'm committing sudoku now.

I had my fun with this game, but if those tedious loops is what the community, like this arsehole above want...

I'm not going to call you a weak-rear end viking but if you're dying often enough that it's a gameplay loop you'll probably want both grave keeper and whatever mod that was that lets you chug greydwarf heads to get your skills back.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

There is already an exploration focused game that handles dying in a better way and it is called subnautica. You lose whatever you gathered between your last foray from base, but not any of the equipment progress you made or anything you had already successfully returned to the base beforehand. The penalty for dying is that you do not achieve the objective you set out to do when you left the base and you must reattempt it. This, conceptually, is how the overwhelming majority of video games have worked since they stopped being designed to drain your money at an arcade and the reason for that is because I think it keeps the focus of the game on the area you are at within the larger progression of the game, and eliminates the need to redo things you have already done.

OwlFancier fucked around with this message at 15:03 on Mar 24, 2021