Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

catspleen posted:

And what happens when between sending and receipt the BTC->USD price drops 6%?
That was exactly my thought as well.

"Hello I have USD/Bit to pay for Tesla Model Tittyz, please accept"

*Musk tweets*

"Oh sorry plz more butcoin"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

xtal
Jan 9, 2011

by Fluffdaddy
I once bought a bike from a local Canadian company, but they charged in USD since they have an online site. The transaction didn't post until the next day and it cost me $500 more due to forex and currency fluctuations. Never heard of that before!

xtal fucked around with this message at 14:30 on Mar 24, 2021

Plant MONSTER.
Mar 16, 2018

I was watching simpsons at 0.75 without knowing until a scene where homer and bart were getting back massages at a hotel and the noises they were making were super drawn out like a youtube poop
500 dollars more? How much was this bicycle originally?

also the fluctuation isnt anywhere nearly as volatile as btc and what does currency conversion from USD to CAD have to do with btc exactly, i know you're trying to make a point about fluctuation but still

Plant MONSTER. fucked around with this message at 14:20 on Mar 24, 2021

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant
Certainly BitCoin doesn't fluctuate wildly within an hour.

xtal
Jan 9, 2011

by Fluffdaddy

Plant MONSTER. posted:

500 dollars more? How much was this bicycle originally?

also the fluctuation isnt anywhere nearly as volatile as btc and what does currency conversion from USD to CAD have to do with btc exactly, i know you're trying to make a point about fluctuation but still

In this case the forex conversion was delayed by way longer than a BTC transaction. Even though I made the purchase during business hours, it didn't post until the next day. The price was about 5k USD: https://www.helix.ca/shop

Plant MONSTER.
Mar 16, 2018

I was watching simpsons at 0.75 without knowing until a scene where homer and bart were getting back massages at a hotel and the noises they were making were super drawn out like a youtube poop
5k, yeah that makes sense then. I was envisioning like a 700-1000 purchase at first, lmao.

edit- it makes sense that 5000usd = 5500 cad

Plant MONSTER. fucked around with this message at 15:20 on Mar 24, 2021

kw0134
Apr 19, 2003

I buy feet pics🍆

There hasn't been a 10% daily fluctuation in USD-CAD in over five years (no easily accessible data exists past 2016). At the local max-min (Jan 3 to April 4) was a 7% depreciation, but that was a literally three month gap with tiny steps down each day, and it's only been appreciating against the USD since then. Soooo... you got hosed by the bank/vendor.

Edit: it is more likely the vendor anticipated the supply chain difficulties from the pandemic and socked it to you.

Andy Dufresne
Aug 4, 2010

The only good race pace is suicide pace, and today looks like a good day to die
When doing business with or converting different currencies everyone in the chain has their hand out for a cut of the transaction. The same is true for crypto and the volatility is added as a special gently caress you cherry on top.

EorayMel
May 30, 2015

WE GET IT. YOU LOVE GUN JESUS. Toujours des fusils Bullpup Français.
thinking really hard about that one transaction where someone fat fingered the fee amount with the actual amount of money supposed to be sent to the intended party, to the tune of like 70+ bitcoins as a no fee

xtal
Jan 9, 2011

by Fluffdaddy
I guess there was because I ended up getting the difference back from the bank once I complained, and it was about $482. I specifically do not make any mention of how the bank wouldn't refund me if it were bitcoin.

Sombrerotron
Aug 1, 2004

Release my children! My hat is truly great and mighty.

Andy Dufresne posted:

When doing business with or converting different currencies everyone in the chain has their hand out for a cut of the transaction. The same is true for crypto and the volatility is added as a special gently caress you cherry on top.
It's probably also noteworthy that on the one hand, most private individuals' payments will rarely be international and so there's no hassle with exchange rates to begin with, while large companies undertaking international transactions for the sale of goods will commonly choose a method other than payment in advance, depending on certain future conditions and often requiring the services of banks in both parties' countries. Have fun agreeing on a price in bitcoin or any other cryptocurrency when the moment of payment might not take place for weeks or months and God knows what might happen to its value between now and then.

kw0134
Apr 19, 2003

I buy feet pics🍆

So in the end the fluctuation was a bank error where they refunded you almost the entire overcharge, with an actual cost of $18 on a $5000 purchase. That's "volatility" of 0.0036, or a hair over a third of a single percent. Or the CAD dropped a single penny relative to the USD overnight. :nallears:

xtal
Jan 9, 2011

by Fluffdaddy
Had I not noticed or complained, they would have kept the whole price difference.

To be honest, your posts over the last couple days are completely delusional. You seem to be unwilling to make any compromise and are making some extreme logical jumps to avoid your dissonance. Sorry to be blunt, but I'm not your therapist who's paid to sugar coat it.

Jose Valasquez
Apr 8, 2005

xtal posted:

To be honest, your posts over the last couple days are completely delusional. You seem to be unwilling to make any compromise and are making some extreme logical jumps to avoid your dissonance. Sorry to be blunt, but I'm not your therapist who's paid to sugar coat it.

It's confusing when you make this post without quoting your own posts first. It looks like you're talking to someone else

xtal
Jan 9, 2011

by Fluffdaddy
Things I've said over the last couple days:

1. 6% volatility is comparable to index funds
2. Credit cards can take longer to process than bitcoin and result in more fees

Things I've heard:

1. 6% volatility is going to take down the government
2. 6% volatility is too much because you're in retirement
3. Everyone talking about this is actually poor
4. Someone should hit me in the face with a football (I concede this one)

Big Mackson
Sep 26, 2009
I have also heard that bitcoin is in fact what will save us and give us a good warm life. who would be against that? smh

Hello Sailor
May 3, 2006

we're all mad here

xtal posted:

Things I've said over the last couple days:

No one cares about anything you say, Seraph Jr.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

xtal posted:

I guess there was because I ended up getting the difference back from the bank once I complained, and it was about $482. I specifically do not make any mention of how the bank wouldn't refund me if it were bitcoin.
Lol your entire scaremongering is based on the bank loving you over and then being nice enough to unfuck you.

From the time of your initial post to your brokebrained bullet point list BTC lost $300, gained $600, then lost $700.

Hope your transaction was one of the 8 that got through before the swings!

FilthyImp fucked around with this message at 15:45 on Mar 24, 2021

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!

xtal posted:

Lmao, why would you even bring this up then? It's seriously amazing how good at self-owns you are.

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!
Gee, one time, at the store, I gave them a fiver for a 2.25 purchase, and they only gave me back 1.75! Had I not noticed, I would have been scammed out of almost half what I was owed! How can we have trust in such a system, instead of Bitcoin, where I can just accidentally delete all my money forever with no recourse whatsoever???

xtal
Jan 9, 2011

by Fluffdaddy
My point is that many people are scammed this way every day. Unlike bitcoin where everyone is scammed this way every day, but with that understanding.

Plant MONSTER.
Mar 16, 2018

xtal posted:

3. Everyone talking about this is actually poor

What I lack in money I more than make up for with heart and unlike poverty, cardiomegaly is irreversible. :smug:

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

xtal posted:

My point is that many people are scammed this way every day. Unlike bitcoin where everyone is scammed this way every day, but with that understanding.
A+ troll, :stoke:

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!

xtal posted:

Understanding of what? If they actually understood bitcoin scams, they wouldn't get scammed.

kw0134
Apr 19, 2003

I buy feet pics🍆

xtal posted:

Let's go to the tape!

xtal posted:

I once bought a bike from a local Canadian company, but they charged in USD since they have an online site. The transaction didn't post until the next day and it cost me $500 more due to forex and currency fluctuations. Never heard of that before!
So...was this post about some mythical volatility that you had to walk back, or about the sinister reveal that banks want to gently caress its users, a point literally no one in the world disputes?

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!
Now that I'm aware bad things can happen when I use bank services, bad things automatically become good.

xtal
Jan 9, 2011

by Fluffdaddy
Are you disputing that the volatility existed and that it costed more because of banking hours? There was no banking error, they gave me the money because I demanded it and if I didn't have a good balance with them they probably would have denied it.

Imagine how many people that happens to. You really don't want to let banks make these decisions.

xtal fucked around with this message at 16:10 on Mar 24, 2021

kw0134
Apr 19, 2003

I buy feet pics🍆

"I was overcharged nearly $500 but I won't mention that and blame it on volatility even though I got it nearly all back" is a pointless shaggy dog story that demonstrates not a single one the points you've tried to make. "Oh, this cost me an extra $500 for no discernible reason, I'm going to sit down and lament my failures," said no one ever.

Jose Valasquez
Apr 8, 2005

You said:

xtal posted:

But it wasn't forex and currency fluctuations, it was your bank loving up or the vendor trying to gently caress you over. You were trying to compare USD fluctuations to bitcoin fluctuations with a bullshit story and then had to backtrack when your story got called out as bullshit

xtal
Jan 9, 2011

by Fluffdaddy
The bank definitely tried to gently caress me over in the sense that they were profiting from the overnight currency fluctuation. Nobody made a mistake or overcharged me, the USD price was exactly the same both bills and the only difference was the forex. Because I'm an extremely good customer and insisted, the bank gave me the forex rate from the day before even though they didn't really need to.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

Jose Valasquez posted:

You said:

But it wasn't forex and currency fluctuations, it was your bank loving up or the vendor trying to gently caress you over. You were trying to compare USD fluctuations to bitcoin fluctuations with a bullshit story and then had to backtrack when your story got called out as bullshit
And even if this mythical 10% Flux in CAD>USD happened (which, as one user noted, is basically a once-in-a-decade event) it was over the scale of a day.

poo poo, we have 6% shifts in BTC over the course of hours.

Ccs
Feb 25, 2011

Beeple cashed out his entire winnings from that auction, proving that he is the smartest person to ever be involved in crypto.

Unfortunately it did not crash Eth prices for very long. If cashing out $58 million isn't enough, I have to wonder how big a cash out would be required to sink bitcoin.

Jose Valasquez
Apr 8, 2005

xtal posted:

The bank definitely tried to gently caress me over in the sense that they were profiting from the overnight currency fluctuation. Nobody made a mistake or overcharged me, the USD price was exactly the same both bills and the only difference was the forex. Because I'm an extremely good customer and insisted, the bank gave me the forex rate from the day before even though they didn't really need to.

It's really weird that you had a hyperlocal currency fluctuation like that when nobody else did, guess you're just really unlucky :shrug:

kw0134
Apr 19, 2003

I buy feet pics🍆

Jose Valasquez posted:

It's really weird that you had a hyperlocal currency fluctuation like that when nobody else did, guess you're just really unlucky :shrug:
the simpsons steamed hams meme except with USD - CAD exchange rates

xtal
Jan 9, 2011

by Fluffdaddy

Jose Valasquez posted:

Exchange rate at time of purchase: 0.8088
At time of posting: 0.76309

Extremely ironically, the fluctuation was almost exactly 6%.

Andy Dufresne
Aug 4, 2010

The only good race pace is suicide pace, and today looks like a good day to die
I have to wonder if the Tesla board regrets giving Elon huge comp incentives based on the stock price. Theoretically a high stock price is great for every shareholder so it makes sense, but now they've paid Elon his billions diluting all other shares along the way and they are in the dilemma of needing to find ever more creative ways to justify the inflated price. They have completely violated their company's mission and the headlines they now garner have nothing to do with their core business. I work at a company of 210 employees and if my CEO started doing this poo poo I'd be out job hunting yesterday. It doesn't bode well for the company's ability to innovate 5 years from now regardless of the other entrants to the EV market.

quote:

Tesla’s mission is to accelerate the world’s transition to sustainable energy

Andy Dufresne fucked around with this message at 16:41 on Mar 24, 2021

EorayMel
May 30, 2015

WE GET IT. YOU LOVE GUN JESUS. Toujours des fusils Bullpup Français.
Be Your Own Bank is my favorite something awful subforum

kw0134
Apr 19, 2003

I buy feet pics🍆

xtal posted:

Exchange rate at time of purchase: 0.8088
At time of posting: 0.76309

Extremely ironically, the fluctuation was almost exactly 6%.
yes, the bank just gave back hundreds of dollars on a totally legit exchange rate because they value you that much as a customer. this rate that doesn't show up anywhere, doesn't correspond with any of the dollar values you gave, or is apparently plucked out of air.

Blotto_Otter
Aug 16, 2013

xtal posted:

2. Credit cards can take longer to process than bitcoin and result in more fees

dipshit doesn't understand difference between transaction authorization and transaction settlement, but the dipshit bravely does not let that knowledge deficiency stop him from posting

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

xtal
Jan 9, 2011

by Fluffdaddy

Blotto_Otter posted:

dipshit doesn't understand difference between transaction authorization and transaction settlement, but the dipshit bravely does not let that knowledge deficiency stop him from posting

Funny this is what I say to the people who lose coins on their transactions :shrug: