Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Best girl?
Yen
Triss
Goku
View Results

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

I thought Season of Storms was an awesome book meself. I think all The Witcher books are absolutely incredible. I’m excited for season 2. That is all.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007

chaosapiant posted:

I thought Season of Storms was an awesome book meself. I think all The Witcher books are absolutely incredible. I’m excited for season 2. That is all.

agreed

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
I wanna see how they do Nivellen given that Tormund Giantsbane already looks like a beast.

itry
Aug 23, 2019

Arcsquad12 posted:

I wanna see how they do Nivellen given that Tormund Giantsbane already looks like a beast.

Would've liked to see someone like Ólafur Darri in that role.

canepazzo
May 29, 2006

https://twitter.com/witchernetflix/status/1374031850004492293

That's a really good Dijkstra!

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007
ok. whens the premiere

Strategic Tea
Sep 1, 2012

Dijkstra is too handsome tho...

Dijkstraaa!! :stoked:

Strategic Tea fucked around with this message at 14:54 on Mar 23, 2021

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

awwww yeah

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

🎵 Toss a coin to your Witcher, o season of plenty 🎵

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

McSpanky posted:

🎵 Toss a coin to your Witcher, o season of plenty 🎵

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=waMkFIzvDpE

Kaedric
Sep 5, 2000

Can't wait to see how they manage to gently caress up the story even more

https://www.whats-on-netflix.com/news/the-witcher-season-2-march-2021-netflix-news-and-production-update-roundup/

Lol at that last spoiler there, christ

Scrotum Modem
Sep 12, 2014

i'll be honest. i'd rewatch season 1 for the titties

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Kaedric posted:

Can't wait to see how they manage to gently caress up the story even more

https://www.whats-on-netflix.com/news/the-witcher-season-2-march-2021-netflix-news-and-production-update-roundup/

Lol at that last spoiler there, christ

Production spoilers are sometimes completely wrong.

Zeta Acosta
Dec 16, 2019

#essereFerrari
this show was really bad hope season 2 sticks to the loving books

and i feel like mugatu taking crazy pills that awful jaskier song really got meme status?

Zeta Acosta fucked around with this message at 17:04 on Mar 24, 2021

Zane
Nov 14, 2007
i hope philippa eilhart is a real bitch

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

Zeta Acosta posted:

and i feel like mugatu taking crazy pills that awful jaskier song really got meme status?

Nah, show was awesome and I can’t wait for more! Cavill has Geralt is an ace-in-the-hole cast.

Kaedric
Sep 5, 2000

Zeta Acosta posted:

Just reread Sword of Destiny and goddamn it just made me mad all over again how they butchered everything.

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?
This show is going to have trouble sooner or later, if not this season then the next one (if there is a next one, it can’t be that cheap and Netflix hates third seasons). It papered over a lot of issues with being weird and fun and new, and having hot people in it. The hot people are still in it so that’s good, and it’s still got a pretty good shot at being weird (iirc they’re doing the Beauty and the Beast short story this season) but novelty is a one time thing and the overall story is only going to get less fun from here.

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

skasion posted:

This show is going to have trouble sooner or later, if not this season then the next one (if there is a next one, it can’t be that cheap and Netflix hates third seasons). It papered over a lot of issues with being weird and fun and new, and having hot people in it. The hot people are still in it so that’s good, and it’s still got a pretty good shot at being weird (iirc they’re doing the Beauty and the Beast short story this season) but novelty is a one time thing and the overall story is only going to get less fun from here.

Sure the story gets less "monster of the week" after this point but the actual plot arguably gets more interesting. They'll almost certainly be reading the novels with an eye on how they can make it sort of like Game of Thrones.

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007

Zeta Acosta posted:

the song rules

alex314
Nov 22, 2007

I'm not sure Nilfgaard can be unfucked from the creepy death cult theocracy angle they got going in S1. I'm really at loss why they took this direction.

In It For The Tank
Feb 17, 2011

But I've yet to figure out a better way to spend my time.
I also feel like it's gonna be strange to change from a distinctive (and questionable) non-linear story structure to just a normal sequential one.

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?

stev posted:

Sure the story gets less "monster of the week" after this point but the actual plot arguably gets more interesting. They'll almost certainly be reading the novels with an eye on how they can make it sort of like Game of Thrones.

The plot does thicken, but it also gets quite a bit more depressing. There’s a reason why the games and this show both chose to lead with “look at this cool snarky badass who fucks sorceresses and slays monsters” instead of just leaping right into Blood of Elves. I’m not saying the novels are terrible or should be thrown away or whatever, more that this show has so far mostly adapted the relatively light hearted stuff (and not too neatly at that) and there will be either a bunch of original content or a tone shift in its immediate future.

Zeta Acosta
Dec 16, 2019

#essereFerrari
the doppler fanfic was dumb i dont trust the showrunners and their original storylines

coronatae
Oct 14, 2012

Zane posted:

i hope philippa eilhart is a real bitch

As Nero Danced
Sep 3, 2009

Alright, let's do this

scary ghost dog posted:

the song rules

I'll be honest I don't remember the song at all. I'd forgotten it by the time the credits rolled, and when I went to see what people were saying about the show that's all they were talking about and I had to go back and rewatch to see what the fuss was about. I still don't recall much about it besides the first line.

Kaedric
Sep 5, 2000

Zeta Acosta posted:

the doppler fanfic was dumb i dont trust the showrunners and their original storylines

Doppler fanfic, hogwarts torture school for witchcraft and wizardry, Cahir being comically and ridiculously evil, Vilgefortz getting his rear end whooped by a 20 year old normie, Nilfgaard being religious fanatics for... reasons????, "fire magic" being a very very dumb thing, literally physically removing uteruses from sorceresses to make them infertile, not to mention ritual sacrfice to turn them into mana battery slugs???

gently caress what did I miss. Just, everytime the showrunner had an 'original' idea it's awful poo poo like the above. I have zero faith whatsoever they'll do any of the upcoming storylines justice. They're going to just tack on some zany poo poo the showrunner thought up that morning over breakfast.

I feel like they're going to do some dumb poo poo like show the TRAGIC BACKSTORY of Codringer and Fenn for a full episode or something equally useless.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
I really dug season 1 because it was exactly what I wanted out of a fantasy show: a bard and a rogue traveling together and having monster of the week adventures. Also a solid YA fantasy book about witch school woven in between.

Season 2 might also be great, but if it is it'll have to be for different reasons than what I liked about season 1. I'm not sure if I'll dig a more serialized version or not, but here's to hoping.

e: but I'm a filthy non-book reader who has only played like 2 hours of Witcher 3 so what do I know

feedmyleg fucked around with this message at 19:55 on Mar 24, 2021

itry
Aug 23, 2019

The biggest problem I've had with S1 (that is still fresh in my mind) is the way they messed up the denouement of "Something More". They cut Brokilon out and it took all the weight out of those scenes.

Edit: Or that's what I felt at the time. There are probably more details that I don't remember atm.

itry fucked around with this message at 19:48 on Mar 24, 2021

Kaedric
Sep 5, 2000

itry posted:

The biggest problem I've had with S1 (that is still fresh in my mind) is the way they messed up the denouement of "Something More". They cut Brokilon out and it took all the weight out of those scenes.

Edit: Or that's what I felt at the time. There are probably more details that I don't remember atm.

1000% this. The last page of Sword of Destiny (which is 'Something More') brings tears to my eyes every time, because you're seeing Geralt very slowly over time realize there's more to his life than just floating along. It's something like 3 or 4 times that he pushes destiny away due to fear, and at the end he can't ignore it any longer because Ciri keeps showing up, so he gives in. Probably means a lot to me as I am a father but ugh it hits me every time.

EDIT: Contrast this with the show where she sees him once, right there at the end and goes and gives him a hug ???? Who the gently caress is he to you?

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007

feedmyleg posted:

I really dug season 1 because it was exactly what I wanted out of a fantasy show: a bard and a rogue traveling together and having monster of the week adventures. Also a solid YA fantasy book about witch school woven in between.

Season 2 might also be great, but if it is it'll have to be for different reasons than what I liked about season 1. I'm not sure if I'll dig a more serialized version or not, but here's to hoping.

e: but I'm a filthy non-book reader who has only played like 2 hours of Witcher 3 so what do I know

the books are ftw

Strategic Tea
Sep 1, 2012

The short stories just have so much great dialogue, say between Geralt and Ciri when he rescues her from the dryads or between the various dragon hunters. It's clever, often insightful, often hilarious, super thematic and there for the taking and they just didn't adapt 99% of it.

ONE YEAR LATER
Apr 13, 2004

Fry old buddy, it's me, Bender!
Oven Wrangler
I haven't read the books but I can appreciate getting anal over differences between adaptions. I will probably be a loud and annoying voice in the eventual WoT thread. That said what they did make I found worth watching, it establishes the world well and sets up interesting plotlines for the next season. Also toss a coin mfker

Omnomnomnivore
Nov 14, 2010

I'm swiftly moving toward a solution which pleases nobody! YEAGGH!
This show was a strong core of good performers doing fun monster-of-the-week stuff surrounded by a lot of crap. The way forward would be to lean into what the first season did well, but the direction of the underlying material, getting into the novels, is the opposite of that. I am concerned but still curious how it turns out.

Though the novels are pretty meandering and episodic anyway. I feel like there's a good way to do this, it's just very unclear that they'll pull it off.

I just wish they'd do the Little Mermaid story and let Henry Cavill go bugnuts on a bunch of fish people.

Zeta Acosta
Dec 16, 2019

#essereFerrari

Kaedric posted:

Doppler fanfic, hogwarts torture school for witchcraft and wizardry, Cahir being comically and ridiculously evil, Vilgefortz getting his rear end whooped by a 20 year old normie, Nilfgaard being religious fanatics for... reasons????, "fire magic" being a very very dumb thing, literally physically removing uteruses from sorceresses to make them infertile, not to mention ritual sacrfice to turn them into mana battery slugs???

gently caress what did I miss. Just, everytime the showrunner had an 'original' idea it's awful poo poo like the above. I have zero faith whatsoever they'll do any of the upcoming storylines justice. They're going to just tack on some zany poo poo the showrunner thought up that morning over breakfast.

I feel like they're going to do some dumb poo poo like show the TRAGIC BACKSTORY of Codringer and Fenn for a full episode or something equally useless.

They trashed the entire Renfri arc. Hopefuly they dont touch Essi Daven.

Kaedric
Sep 5, 2000

Zeta Acosta posted:

They trashed the entire Renfri arc. Hopefuly they dont touch Essi Daven.

Christ I forgot all about that. Looked at my old posts and yeah looks like I ranted about it back then.

Kaedric posted:

Which actually reminds me: they messed up The Lesser Evil in the show. The whole point was that even though Geralt made a choice, as opposed to staying neutral, it didn't matter and was in fact still the wrong thing to do. In the show he confronts Renfri's crew and kills them to prevent them from murdering the townspeople as leverage against Stregobor, then Renfri shows up and flat out says she will kill everyone in Blaviken until Stregobor comes down (while holding a little girl hostage with a sword against her neck, no less). This is essentially 'dumbing down' the conflict, because it very simply makes Geralt justified to kill Renfri at that point. There's no wrong choice here. He can be sad about it after, but in the end he had no choice, right? After this Stregobor comes in and incites the townspeople to violence against Geralt, because you see, he's a BAD GUY(tm).

In the books: Geralt confronts Renfri's crew in the town square, fights them, and then Renfri shows up. She states that Stregobor refuses to leave his tower, no matter how many people she would end up killing, so she gave up. However, seeing that Geralt killed all of her friends, she fatalistically decides to fight him, and loses. Stregobor shows up after and still wants to take her body to autopsy, but when Geralt refuses, Stregobor insists Geralt come with him and leave the town, since the townspeople won't understand why Geralt killed these people, and will think him a monster. Geralt refuses, and the townspeople show up and start throwing stones until the Alderman comes and stops them, and he tells Geralt to never come back.

Here you have a situation that could have been completely avoided, no one would have died. Choosing the 'lesser evil' was a mistake (as it always is). No one in the story is an out and out moustache-twirling villain, as they are in the show. It's magnitudes better.

Zeta Acosta
Dec 16, 2019

#essereFerrari

Kaedric posted:

Christ I forgot all about that. Looked at my old posts and yeah looks like I ranted about it back then.

also the weird sex scenes in this show are awful and they should stop trying to be game of thrones because after season 4 that show loving sucked

itry
Aug 23, 2019

Omnomnomnivore posted:

I just wish they'd do the Little Mermaid story and let Henry Cavill go bugnuts on a bunch of fish people.

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo

Isn't that basically the plot of Batmetal Returns

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zzulu
May 15, 2009

(▰˘v˘▰)
I don't really remember the plot at all from season 1. I remember there was a dragon hunting party and a Witcher Man, Witch Woman and Bard Guy. Still enjoyed it

I'd like to see more of Witcher Man and Bard Man and Witch Woman on adventures