Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009
lol the libs are arguing for gun control again. Guns are cool and good and are fun to shoot. A room full of dead kindergartners wasn’t enough to enact gun control in this country. Might as well have fun with them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Excelzior
Jun 24, 2013

DoomTrainPhD posted:

lol the libs are arguing for gun control again. Guns are cool and good and are fun to shoot. A room full of dead kindergartners wasn’t enough to enact gun control in this country. Might as well have fun with them.

https://www.theonion.com/no-way-to-prevent-this-says-only-nation-where-this-r-1819576527

Wraith of J.O.I.
Jan 25, 2012

Raccooon posted:

Wonder how long Obama is gonna take being torn down to prop Biden up lol.

obama having to call biden every two weeks to remind him that he pulled the strings and got biden elected leading up to and after south carolina — “uhh joe, you didn’t build win that!”

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

DoomTrainPhD posted:

we can’t let guns ruin our kids’ futures, why that’s the job of fossil fuels!

Organ Fiend
May 21, 2007

custom title

Ovenmaster posted:

Though I personally don't think he'll resign (it'll be too damaging - he'll just hide in a basement the whole term) I really want it to happen, for comedy's sake.

Bonus laughs if Harris appoints Hillary Rodham Clinton as her VP.

Harris doesn't really strike me as suicidal, so we're probably not getting those laughs.

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

one thing a computer can do that most humans can't is be sealed up in a cardboard box and sit in a warehouse
Slippery Tilde

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin

my bony fealty posted:

my partner teaches at a fancy private school and they've been doing all the good lib PR of "black lives matter" since last summer through to "we stand against anti-asian hate" recently by which I mean they send out school-wide emails and force the teachers and staff to attend anti-racism sessions on top of their normal teaching duties, with no extra compensation for the extra time that takes

meanwhile proposals that would have some material impact on helping people like "let's sponsor a drive to raise money to buy laptops for public school kids in underprivileged areas" or "let's have the horrendously overpaid administrators take a tiny pay cut and use that budget savings to have more minority scholarships" are instantly shot down. there was a big controversy about some kid wearing a MAGA hat and the administration sided with him and his rich chud parents over calls of how that was open hate at the school lol

abolish private schools

my majority minority school has elections in like 2 weeks for school board and its a full on war between various ultra elite liberals who've never been questioned in their lives (biglaw partners, etc) yelling at each other on facebook about racism. the school board started the last meeting with a 3 minute land acknowledgement, then apologized to jewish people for offending them by asking if school should get rid of the yom kippur and rosh hashanah days off , then apologized to special needs kids parents, then apologized to native americans because the unit about stereotypes of natives being bad, itself had negative stereotypes

all this after the superintendent called parents white supremacists in january and said that filing FOIA requests against the school was privilege (technically true but lol). also the atlantic had connor friesdork write a crappy article about some of the BLM unit that was over the head of little kids . i vaguely recall the school having an anti-racist thing in the fall where the speaker told white people their role should be fundraising in addition to property taxes

its gonna be a fun couple of years

edit oh yeah theres a bunch of whining to the mods because the big parents facebook group says 'district X parents & guardians' and people are mad that their posting enemies are using the district name even though its unofficial

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

https://twitter.com/thehill/status/1374664808193220612

lmao

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

libs in 2020: "Bernie is too old, he'd never survive the rigors of a job like the presidency for a full 8-year term"

libs in 2021: https://twitter.com/MonValley65/status/1374678495855439874

my bony fealty
Oct 1, 2008

DoomTrainPhD posted:

a pillar of the Biden plan is a $200 gun tax so it will have the effect of reducing access to firearms for poorer folks while doing absolutely nothing to end mass shootings

Loucks
May 21, 2007

It's incwedibwe easy to suck my own dick.

DoomTrainPhD posted:

Zero interest in a debate with anyone for any reason, but whenever gun control pops back up I always think about the hundreds of millions of unregistered firearms somewhere in the us and the completely entrenched culture war and wonder how anyone thinks anything can practically be done.

Atrocious Joe
Sep 2, 2011

gradenko_2000 posted:

https://twitter.com/JustinneRamirez/status/1374620347488595968

I feel like I'm the reactionary one when I see "Filipinx/as/os" and start yelling "WHO ASKED FOR THIS?! WHO SAYS THAT?!" at my monitor because these people seem to have their heart in the right place but come the gently caress on I actually AM a Filipino, right now, in the Philippines, and this has never loving come up.

is tagalog supremacy a thing.

Chillgamesh
Jul 29, 2014

loquacius posted:

libs in 2020: "Bernie is too old, he'd never survive the rigors of a job like the presidency for a full 8-year term"

libs in 2021: https://twitter.com/MonValley65/status/1374678495855439874

Any Functioning Adult 2021

Nothus
Feb 22, 2001

Buglord

Damage control

Atrocious Joe
Sep 2, 2011

can't wait for moviebob to become a afro-pessimist

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin

Loucks posted:

Zero interest in a debate with anyone for any reason, but whenever gun control pops back up I always think about the hundreds of millions of unregistered firearms somewhere in the us and the completely entrenched culture war and wonder how anyone thinks anything can practically be done.

you're in luck! biden's admin is trying to convince the supreme court that police should be able to come into your house, without a warrant, and take all your guns for 'community caretaking,' because police are allowed to take broken cars off the side of the roads for public safety and this is the same thing

i wonder who will be targeted in no knock warrantless raids looking for guns to 'caretake'

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

one thing a computer can do that most humans can't is be sealed up in a cardboard box and sit in a warehouse
Slippery Tilde

spacemang_spliff posted:

it's mostly me posting him because he keeps showing up on my twitter TL and if I have to see it you all do too

no thank you

Marx Headroom
May 10, 2007

AT LAST! A show with nonono commercials!
Fallen Rib
*looking at poor whites* muda

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009

Loucks posted:

Just make a law stupid. :rolleyes:

The Oldest Man
Jul 28, 2003

mastershakeman posted:

you're in luck! biden's admin is trying to convince the supreme court that police should be able to come into your house, without a warrant, and take all your guns for 'community caretaking,' because police are allowed to take broken cars off the side of the roads for public safety and this is the same thing

i wonder who will be targeted in no knock warrantless raids looking for guns to 'caretake'

Lol once there's a pretext we're getting Iraq-style midnight door blasts

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

Loucks posted:

liberals can’t because they reject communalism and embrace individualism as their core value. So how could individualists change culture?

like we could develop a program to shift away from gun culture or car culture, but it would have to be massive, holistic, comprehensive, and driven by a sense of community need. All non-starters to libs.

Like ending American car culture is obviously the more important of the two, and would require massive social involvement and investment. Like not just free courses on EV or bus maintenance like a lib job retraining program, but grants to develop and replace car related hobbies, stuff like paying for EV engines to replace those dope cars that are getting tattled on in Austin. Or establishing government backed mudding clubs to make sure fewer shared vehicles can keep people enjoying their hobbies.

But that’s impossible to libs, both because of the communalism, and the lack of punishing people. “You can’t just let the chuds keep mudding, because how will I feel superior!”

So instead, we’ll see taxes and penalties, and then libs smugly declaring it wasn’t their fault when it all backfires, since it’s the bad people who are mad, libs can’t be blamed for lovely policies that make them mad.

Loucks
May 21, 2007

mastershakeman posted:

Huh. If they succeed here I will probably die.

e: I dearly wish I could give up both car and guns. They’re all bad tbh.

Loucks has issued a correction as of 16:55 on Mar 24, 2021

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin

The Oldest Man posted:

Lol once there's a pretext we're getting Iraq-style midnight door blasts

https://www.forbes.com/sites/nicksi...sh=55a0d8852829

praying for clarence thomas to save us, sadly it'll probably be 8-1 in favor with him writing an angry dissent that no one listens to

a new study bible!
Feb 2, 2009

BIG DICK NICK
A Philadelphia Legend
Fly Eagles Fly

Please stop posting twitch pedophiles. They are never entertaining. Stick to the pedophiles who control our lives.

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

like if libs actually ever cared about ending a culture of tobacco smoking, of course they should provide alternatives and professional help for free (they don't even do that), but they would mandate that all employees be given smoke break length/frequency breaks even if you don't smoke.

but those don't punish the bad people so instead lets just raise taxes and ban the types minorities like.

The Pussy Boss
Nov 2, 2004

The gun control stuff will blow over. The house bills are pretty tame, just background checks basically, and even that won't pass the Senate. Dems won't nuke the filibuster, and Biden won't fight that hard for this. I mean it would be funny if he tried to be the Gun Control President, but I think this is just Dems making comforting noises after a shooting. Wait a couple weeks and it'll be out of the news until the next mass shooting.

AnimeIsTrash
Jun 30, 2018

https://twitter.com/crulge/status/1374672722786197506

Loucks
May 21, 2007

Maybe, but the scotus case seems like a significant expansion of police power. Not that they wouldn’t do that poo poo anyway, but they’re likely to be able to do it openly and therefore much more often going forward.

Organ Fiend
May 21, 2007

custom title
Car culture and gun culture are huge parts of American working class culture and attempts to eliminate them are absolutely futile for anyone who hopes to build a political movement based on the American working class.

The fact that the same people who keep pushing for the elimination of gas powered cars and guns are also opposed to the full nuclearization of the power grid and demilitarization of the police further convince the American working class that these people (and anyone else who wants to eliminate car/gun culture) is completely full of poo poo and just want to oppress them.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

Atrocious Joe posted:

from what I understand yes it is a genuine thing but it's obviously an extremely narrow extremely Philippines community only kinda thing so trying to get some weird tut-tutting in on an article about people who need an area where it's spoken to survive for their basic needs is really kinda gross. Like, she's not wrong but the article isn't about that so it's a weird thing to bring up.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

Atrocious Joe posted:

not really

* people from Manila tend to look down on people from the provinces as backwards yokels, but that's more of a class or urbanite-vs-rural thing.

* the Duterte campaign popularized the "Imperial Manila" talking point, or the idea that Manila is sucking up all of the tax revenue and the government largesse and determines the path of the nation with little or no regard to the provinces. It's not true in the sense that Manila provides more to the provinces than it takes in, and Duterte only did this because he came from Davao so he needed to build an image of "sticking it to the man" as a wedge issue

what Ramirez (the person in that tweet) is probably referring to is that Tagalog as the primary language of the Philippines dominates spoken and written language at the expense of other dialects, but I don't really know how it's a problem that doesn't happen purely as the result of a centralized government and the establishment of a nation-state as an identity

insofar as indigenous peoples are getting forcibly removed from their lands by the military to open up lands for commercial exploitation, what language they're speaking is kinda low on the totem pole of concerns

Zerg Mans
Oct 19, 2006

gradenko_2000 posted:

https://twitter.com/JustinneRamirez/status/1374620347488595968

I feel like I'm the reactionary one when I see "Filipinx/as/os" and start yelling "WHO ASKED FOR THIS?! WHO SAYS THAT?!" at my monitor because these people seem to have their heart in the right place but come the gently caress on I actually AM a Filipino, right now, in the Philippines, and this has never loving come up.

who is that girl I see

is she filapinax/as/or os

Zerg Mans
Oct 19, 2006

gradenko_2000 posted:

It's not true in the sense that Manila provides more to the provinces than it takes in,

How do they provide these things, through some kind of envelope?

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

zegermans posted:

boo this man

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

Organ Fiend posted:

Car culture and gun culture are huge parts of American working class culture and attempts to eliminate them are absolutely futile for anyone who hopes to build a political movement based on the American working class.

again, as long as it is libs doing it sure.

but working class people are perfectly willing to make sacrifices for the greater good, but that requires both being honest about what's happening and also making their sacrifice proportional to their ability. both of those are things the current dems refuse to consider.

if we had confiscated the private planes and taken the wealth of the fossil-based rich, then people would be more willing to accept going to the sideshow track or waiting for their designated driving-for-pleasure day.

if we made sure people would never starve or be homeless then people would be more willing to accept transportation options that aren't as consistent as POVs.

but since libs can only offer taxes, tax rebates, and fines, all of that is impossible to them.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth
I posted this earlier, but TBH, I think the biggest focus should be on mandates that track guns, owners, and physical security of guns. For example:

All gun stores need to have enough physical security so they can't get easily broken into , such as metal shutters, concrete bollards, all guns/ammos stored in a safe every night. For a specific example of the issue with not having that security, I think at least 2 guns used in homicides last summer in the Twin Cities were stolen from gun shops in the area a few months prior

National gun purchase registry

National mandated training to be able to buy a gun/ammo (e.g. driver ed requirements for cars). Something beyond a single day to deter people from casually thinking "a gun might be nice" without knowing much about them

All guns need to come equipped with a gun lock (maybe even a gun safe that the manufacturer supplies?)

All gun owners need to report a stolen gun within X days

If a gun gets stolen because it wasn't property stored (or the owner didn't properly report it) and a crime gets committed with it, the gun owner needs to be held responsible for that crime.

I think things like these would be a good start to having an actual impact on gun deaths in our country.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth
why don't you stupid gun lovers support my plans to make you to blame if your gun is stolen and used god knows how long later in a crime????

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

Also compared to climate change, gun control is such a joke of an issue that its yet another obvious tell that those promoting it don't give a gently caress about people.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
Gun control sucks because the libs never want to disarm the cops and the troops, just the civilians

Either arm everyone or arm no one

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin

zegermans posted: