Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

change my name
Aug 27, 2007

Legends die but anime is forever.

RIP The Lost Otakus.

bus hustler posted:

Good news, stock is improving...

... in grape nuts! Maybe GPUs are next.

https://twitter.com/USATODAY/status/1374584257738313730

I broke a tooth in half on a grape nut once, they can rot in hell

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ihmemies
Oct 6, 2012

bus hustler posted:

"The Great Grape-Nuts Shortage of 2021 has been caused by the top-secret way the cereal is made, and while it's proprietary, TODAY Food can confirm it is not made of grapes or nuts, but of wheat and barley. Still, the company keeps a tight lid on the production process and the exact issue is unclear."

Based on that google result the product naming sounds a bit misleading...

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

Lots of modern GPUs seem to mention USB-C as part of the standards they implement, but few seem to actually expose a USB-C port - does this mean that there are DP to USB+DP/HDMI/DVI adapters, in order to access that port with a regular USB connector?

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy
no, there's a standard for video over usb-c, GPU makers made it so it'd be easier to plug VR into the back of your pc or some poo poo, but none of the VR vendors ever ran with any of that so the ports are mostly gone

DP/hdmi are way more robust than usb-c, and it's not like there's a lack of usb ports on the back of a pc lol

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE

Truga posted:

DP/hdmi are way more robust than usb-c, and it's not like there's a lack of usb ports on the back of a pc lol

there is a lack of usb type-c ports, especially ones with known/good capabilities (video, pcie, etc)

it's rare to see more than one type-c port on a motherboard, occasionally two (in which case one will be thunderbolt and the other will be only data), and maybe one internal header (which will be data only)

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy
yeah, but you don't need any of that poo poo if you have a hdmi or dp port. just your regular usb2 is fine

TacticalHoodie
May 7, 2007

Fauxtool posted:

word is they were steering like a doofus and doing whatever the ship version of tailgating was a few hours before getting stuck. According to the audio they apparently lost power to steering and propulsion shortly before jamming their bow in the wall

Sucks for EU bros, but im fairly certain none of the GPUs destined for the US are taking that canal.

https://scontent.xx.fbcdn.net/v/t1....471&oe=608278B6

This is one of the major ports in California with ships idling over 3 months at a time due to the lack of dock workers to work all the freight. This is pretty much the same scene in any port in Canada and the US at the moment. Unless you are shipping vaccines you are waiting a lonnnnnggggg time.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

It's almost certainly just because there's not really anything in terms of mass market peripherals that connects over USB. As the dude from Actually Hardcore Overclocking keeps saying in his motherboard videos, the only thing he owns that connects over USB-C is his phone. The one on my PC basically solely functions as a charging port since decent cheap USB-C to USB-C cables aren't long enough for my VR purposes. There are USB-C flash drives starting to appear though so it is starting to penetrate.

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE
single-cable to your monitor is cool though, and then use the monitor as a usb hub for your peripherals. I guess it's only one more cable to run a USB connection though.

I'm on a literal cord-cutting kick at the moment though, I'm tired of my desk being a giant mess of wires :)

Paul MaudDib fucked around with this message at 17:28 on Mar 24, 2021

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Also if you're not keeping up with the Big Boat story, it's gotten even better.
https://twitter.com/matthewchampion/status/1374709611715031041

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?

Truga posted:

no, there's a standard for video over usb-c, GPU makers made it so it'd be easier to plug VR into the back of your pc or some poo poo, but none of the VR vendors ever ran with any of that so the ports are mostly gone

DisplayPort and HDMI as USB-C Alternate Modes are widely supported on laptops and small formfactor desktops to support single-cable connections to docking stations or monitors with built-in hubs.

What you're thinking of is VirtualLink, which only ever existed on certain 20xx series nVidia desktop cardss and a couple of gaming laptops from the same era. This was a proprietary extension of DisplayPort Alternate Mode. The standard USB-C connector has dedicated wires for USB 2.0 and then four differential pairs that can carry two channels of USB 3.x or be repurposed for alternate mode use. This means you get either a single channel of USB 3.x plus two lanes of DisplayPort or you lose all USB 3.x to get all four lanes.

VirtualLink upgrades the cable so the USB 2.x wires are also high speed capable and uses them for USB 3.x, then devotes all four standard high-speed pairs to DisplayPort. This was intended for VR use but could have also proven useful for single wire connections to some modern monitors that need all the bandwidth they can get. Unfortunately it never caught on, to my knowledge no one ever shipped a device that could make use of a VirtualLink port. Valve almost shipped an adapter for the Index but that's the closest I'm aware of.

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

A man becomes preeminent, he's expected to have enthusiasms.

Enthusiasms, enthusiasms...
what if the suez boat just like explodes

lol

Fauxtool
Oct 21, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
lttstore did it again today. Might be a good idea to wake up and catch the first video of the day for a bit. This time the message was text over the normal video in a way you could easily miss if you were skipping around. The links were the same lttstore.com/3080ba as before

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Never changing the URL seems like a bad idea.

Worf
Sep 12, 2017

If only Seth would love me like I love him!

Alan Smithee posted:

lol

Yeah this looks like a rainbow six mission.

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

bus hustler posted:

hell yeah now the canal can get enough fiber to get unblocked

Bloopsy
Jun 1, 2006

you have been visited by the Tasty Garlic Bread. you will be blessed by having good Garlic Bread in your life time, but only if you comment "ty garlic bread" in the thread below

Alan Smithee posted:

lol

Sending GPUs flying everywhere (no 3080s though).

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

Fauxtool posted:

lttstore did it again today. Might be a good idea to wake up and catch the first video of the day for a bit. This time the message was text over the normal video in a way you could easily miss if you were skipping around. The links were the same lttstore.com/3080ba as before

someone said the link was in the video but i dont see it, and none of the chatter on the subreddit or his forum thread about it seemed to talk about it either

Fauxtool
Oct 21, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Alan Smithee posted:

someone said the link was in the video but i dont see it, and none of the chatter on the subreddit or his forum thread about it seemed to talk about it either

its not there anymore. they were closed captions only for people early enough.
Seems like a good way to do it moving forward

Just manually check the links everytime they post a video until they start changing them

Malloc Voidstar
May 7, 2007

Fuck the cowboys. Unf. Fuck em hard.

wolrah posted:

What you're thinking of is VirtualLink, which only ever existed on certain 20xx series nVidia desktop cardss and a couple of gaming laptops from the same era.
also apparently on the new AMD cards lol https://www.roadtovr.com/amd-radeon-rx-6900-xt-6800-xt-price-release-date-specs/
(there's a bunch of articles that say this but it's pretty hard to definitively confirm since AFAIK nothing actually uses that)

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

Fauxtool posted:

Just manually check the links everytime they post a video until they start changing them

was it the same questions?

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

VirtualLink was straight up abandoned, the consortium that backed/created it was dissolved. Maybe USB4/TB4 can get a new single cable standard going, or maybe the future is wireless for the VR niche. i dunno.

The good news is that at least for the Nvidia cards (and I assume the AMD cards), the VirtualLink port could be used as a regular ol 10gb USB-C port, too.

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

Malloc Voidstar posted:

also apparently on the new AMD cards lol https://www.roadtovr.com/amd-radeon-rx-6900-xt-6800-xt-price-release-date-specs/
(there's a bunch of articles that say this but it's pretty hard to definitively confirm since AFAIK nothing actually uses that)

The VirtualLink consortium seems to be extremely dead (the site now points to an indonesian sports betting spam page lol) so it's probably just a case of AMD designing it in before they got the memo

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE

Cygni posted:

The good news is that at least for the Nvidia cards (and I assume the AMD cards), the VirtualLink port could be used as a regular ol 10gb USB-C port, too.

yeah virtuallink itself is super dead but it was a nice way to get a fairly high-capability USB-C port. Also unlike the one on your motherboard or a standalone card, the frame doesn't have to be blitted back across the PCIe bus so there are situations where it could be better (lower latency, or when the bus utilization is high).

Fauxtool
Oct 21, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Alan Smithee posted:

was it the same questions?

dont know. I caught the video in time to see the link but the stock was gone by then.

OhFunny
Jun 26, 2013

EXTREMELY PISSED AT THE DNC

Fauxtool posted:

The CC was bugged. It played the entirety of the text of the last video before they corrected it. There was no drop today.

Edit: Yeah. No drop. They forgot to update the CC.

OhFunny fucked around with this message at 19:48 on Mar 24, 2021

spunkshui
Oct 5, 2011

Fauxtool posted:

I can already tell my next computer is going to be a pre-built from corsair with DDR5 and 4080.

I like building tho :(

Maybe they can have a deal where you get it unbuilt like leges for a discount.

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?

Cygni posted:

VirtualLink was straight up abandoned, the consortium that backed/created it was dissolved. Maybe USB4/TB4 can get a new single cable standard going, or maybe the future is wireless for the VR niche. i dunno.

USB4 will offer a mode that allows DisplayPort traffic to be encapsulated in the USB signaling similar to how Thunderbolt does it now, which allows the total available bandwidth to be shared rather than split firmly based on lane counts (though the legacy mode will also be available, it is getting upgraded to support 20 gbit/sec per lane with DP2.0 compatible signaling).

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

https://twitter.com/VideoCardz/status/1374744553496907780

Rumored launch to the delay to delay the launch rumor to a new rumored launch.

Fauxtool
Oct 21, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
been sitting on this 3080 waterblock for months, I really hope the 3080ti FE fits and that they sell it on not best buy only.

Watch them pull the ultimate power move and sell it only on their site silent auction style. Let the market determine the price.

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

$69?!?!?!?!

we're ruined

SCheeseman
Apr 23, 2003

Cygni posted:

Oculus Quest 1/2 only requires a bog-standard USB port and yeah, wireless is inevitable removing the desire to shove raw video signals over a wire anyway. It was a dumb idea.

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE
I really wish Valve could get Wigig to work properly on the Index, because that (the Vive Wireless Adapter) is probably the best solution for wireless VR to date, but the price on the vive pro is ridiculous and it's behind the Index in technical specs.

SCheeseman
Apr 23, 2003

Yeah my Vive with the official wireless kit is the best wireless PCVR experience I've had. Quest /w Virtual Desktop doesn't quite hit the same standard, too much latency, judder and compression.

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

Cygni posted:

https://twitter.com/VideoCardz/status/1374744553496907780

Rumored launch to the delay to delay the launch rumor to a new rumored launch.

Nothing has changed, the 3080 ti was always going to launch "3 months from now"

Stanley Pain
Jun 16, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Alchenar posted:

Nothing has changed, the 3080 ti was always going to launch "3 months from now"

Don't forget "launch" as well.

Black Sunshine
Apr 4, 2004

LEFT 4 DEAD IS A LOT LIKE FOOTBALL - I JERK OFF TO BOTH

Paul MaudDib posted:

I really wish Valve could get Wigig to work properly on the Index, because that (the Vive Wireless Adapter) is probably the best solution for wireless VR to date, but the price on the vive pro is ridiculous and it's behind the Index in technical specs.

Valve seems to be my only hope moving forward with VR. I'm hoping that by the time I'm forced to abandon my Oculus account and use a Facebook one, which I will never do, there will be a better option out there. Wireless is extremely awesome. The ability to walk into my backyard and play VR games is just so drat cool and fun that being tethered to a wire is kind of a deal breaker for me and I imagine it's like that for a lot of people.

Every night I pray that Lord Gaben will save me from that soulless robot supervillain Zuckerberg.

Mr.PayDay
Jan 2, 2004
life is short - play hard
German Amazon, Asus Store Listing.
This is not a fake. It’s the last one in stock, they already sold a handful today.

I paid ~ 50% for that card in early November. That would be an outrageous deal now.

I think a 3080Ti will find it‘s price around 2500 Euro/Dollars. As a price floor.
On eBay, obviously.

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

Black Sunshine posted:

Valve seems to be my only hope moving forward with VR

from what we know valve is currently pursuing brain-computer-interfaces so they can sell another niche $1000 toy while facebook runs away with the mainstream market

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
Who's in charge of the 3080Ti launch, Tom Friedman???