Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rody One Half
Feb 18, 2011

Fighting games rot your brains kids, don't play fighting games.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Omi no Kami
Feb 19, 2014

RareAcumen posted:

Nah, it's a rhythm game disguised as a beat-em-up.

Didn't it even start its life as a rhythm game, and jump to beat-em-up fairly late in development?

The whole thing is just bizarre to watch. Like, every single episode is

Woolie: <gibberish>
Chat/Reggie: Woolie. It's not hard: X X X, keep the combo up, inject dodges/stuns in response to special enemy tactics, use abilities to vary things up.
Woolie: I think there's a lot more going on than that. It's, like, <FGC gibberish>
Chat/Reggie: Woolie, no. X if nothing, dodge/stun if something.
Woolie: Well I assumed that red because red therefore stun not dodge.
Chat/Reggie: Woolie, no.
Woolie: *big boy sigh* <charges headfirst into a cattle prod/gun> "See? Your way doesn't work."

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Omi no Kami posted:

Didn't it even start its life as a rhythm game, and jump to beat-em-up fairly late in development?

The whole thing is just bizarre to watch. Like, every single episode is

Woolie: <gibberish>
Chat/Reggie: Woolie. It's not hard: X X X, keep the combo up, inject dodges/stuns in response to special enemy tactics, use abilities to vary things up.
Woolie: I think there's a lot more going on than that. It's, like, <FGC gibberish>
Chat/Reggie: Woolie, no. X if nothing, dodge/stun if something.
Woolie: Well I assumed that red because red therefore stun not dodge.
Chat/Reggie: Woolie, no.
Woolie: *big boy sigh* <charges headfirst into a cattle prod/gun> "See? Your way doesn't work."

Honestly, no idea. I just know from playing it myself, it's really more of a rhythm game, especially if you're playing City or Knight in the challenge arenaes and it's more about not hitting the wrong button and dropping your built up combo. I have no idea about the production history of the games themselves.

Also I haven't been watching them either, I just keep the thread bookmarked because Pat and Woolie's bullshit is fascinating to read secondhand. :allears: Someone's going to figure out how to bullshit right back at him with FG gibberish and it'll either work perfectly or get him RED MAD.

Chat: Woolie, you just charge oki superdashed right into a V-trigger rekka with no plans to guard. Of course you're gonna get bodied for that. That's like that story of that dude in college who just did a Naruto run in a karate class like it was a real fighting style.

Omi no Kami
Feb 19, 2014

So here's something it never occurred to me to wonder: is Woolie decent at fighting games? I have zero knowledge of the genre and my eyes glaze over every time FGC stuff comes up, so I've just always assumed that he was proficient in his favorite thing and chose to judge and understand everything else in terms of that thing. Which is disappointing, but totally understandable, so whatever. But it would be so on brand if it turned out that Woolie wasn't actually that competent at fighting games, and his whole Woolie Way thing wasn't just "Describe it like a fighting game," but "Describe it like what woolie thinks a fighting game is."

Smoking Crow
Feb 14, 2012

*laughs at u*

No, he's pretty mediocre

He can beat his friends but if he plays real players in games they've played before it's a wrap

Yardbomb
Jul 11, 2011

What's with the eh... bretonnian dance, sir?

It depends on the game mostly.

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007

Omi no Kami posted:

So here's something it never occurred to me to wonder: is Woolie decent at fighting games? I have zero knowledge of the genre and my eyes glaze over every time FGC stuff comes up, so I've just always assumed that he was proficient in his favorite thing and chose to judge and understand everything else in terms of that thing. Which is disappointing, but totally understandable, so whatever. But it would be so on brand if it turned out that Woolie wasn't actually that competent at fighting games, and his whole Woolie Way thing wasn't just "Describe it like a fighting game," but "Describe it like what woolie thinks a fighting game is."

he has the knowledge but not the skill

Nalesh
Jun 9, 2010

What did the grandma say to the frog?

Something racist, probably.

scary ghost dog posted:

I feel like even that is giving him too much credit at times :v:

Szmitten
Apr 26, 2008

Omi no Kami posted:

Granted Guilty Gear Strive isn't out and he was probably using an awkward character but he spent a bunch of time grinding a character in training before going online and happened to get matched with a VTuber who never played before and lost.

Tupperwarez
Apr 4, 2004

"phphphphphphpht"? this is what you're going with?

you sure?

scary ghost dog posted:

Smart reasons, executed in the dumbest way.

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

If Woolie played Smash he'd main Little Mac because he's a BOXER so he's JUST LIKE WOOLIE, and any time you try to explain that he's losing all the time because Mac's gimmick just makes him objectively the worst character in the game he'd act hurt and confused and stop the game to take ten minutes to explain that he picked Mac because he likes the boxer aesthetic and not take anything anyone says on board.

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

Makes me think of the KOF tangent on the podcast where it sounds like the twitter guy was just trying to say that click-baity "zomg this game is so HARD" videos might scare people away from trying the game, not because of the content of the video or the realities of the game, but because of the first impression, despite acknowledging the guy backed down from the point.

Baron Snow
Feb 8, 2007

Omi no Kami posted:

So here's something it never occurred to me to wonder: is Woolie decent at fighting games?

Woolie is the personification of this article.

https://thehardtimes.net/harddrive/...-competitively/

He does have the knowledge and personality to be a perfect commentator though.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!
When Woolie trains enough, he's decent to place top 8 in any regional (his last real tourney stop was Samurai Sho down where he almost placed Top 8 with a legit bad character until his car mate and pro player stopped him).

He isn't like DPS probably.

Vandar
Sep 14, 2007

Isn't That Right, Chairman?

For what it's worth, Woolie DID manage to take a round off of Daigo.

Neo_Crimson
Aug 15, 2011

"Is that your final dandy?"
Wasn't Woolie pretty active in MvC3 locals back in the day?

TaurusOxford
Feb 10, 2009

Dad of the Year 2021

Tae posted:

When Woolie trains enough, he's decent to place top 8 in any regional (his last real tourney stop was Samurai Sho down where he almost placed Top 8 with a legit bad character until his car mate and pro player stopped him).

He isn't like DPS probably.

Woolie actually retains enough fundamentals to at least be competent at whatever fighting game he wants to play, unlike DSP who just whines that modern fighting games aren't his broken PS1 port of Super Turbo. :v:

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

He's been tapping into Aunt May's bank account!
Didn't I kill him with a HELICOPTER?
Woolie is Piccolo. If he puts his mind into it and trains like hell, he can get an impressive yet small win like getting out of pools or fighting an Android to a standstill while Cell is just around the corner.

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

MorningMoon posted:

Woolie is Piccolo. If he puts his mind into it and trains like hell, he can get an impressive yet small win like getting out of pools or fighting an Android to a standstill while Cell is just around the corner.

Nah, Piccolo is cool

Big Scary Owl
Oct 1, 2014

by Fluffdaddy
Lmao I hope Woolie ain't reading this thread, goddamn

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

Big Scary Owl posted:

Lmao I hope Woolie ain't reading this thread, goddamn

Look, woolie is many things but cool is not one of them

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

I like Woolie, just want to be clear. He seems like a nice dude, and who doesn't have character flaws?

Yardbomb
Jul 11, 2011

Dabir posted:

If Woolie played Smash he'd main Little Mac because he's a BOXER so he's JUST LIKE WOOLIE, and any time you try to explain that he's losing all the time because Mac's gimmick just makes him objectively the worst character in the game he'd act hurt and confused and stop the game to take ten minutes to explain that he picked Mac because he likes the boxer aesthetic and not take anything anyone says on board.

That's a good reason to pick a character, tiers be damned.

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo
Woolie is a good FG player. Like, he's not top-tier, he's not gonna win tournaments, but he can compete in locals and even take games off better players in games he dedicates himself to.

Like, his Blanka in SF4 was pretty solid, he almost made it out of EVO pools (which are a bloodbath) only losing to actual top 32 players one year.

Unit24
Jan 31, 2015

Hey kids! Do you want to be as AKOOL as me?

Dabir posted:

Picking a character based on aesthetics is totally valid though. I'd rather do that and endure the uphill battle than pick a character I have no interest in just because it's easier to win with them.

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

There's "uphill battle with a low tier" and then there's trying to play Little Mac in smash. the character does not function in this game.

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007

Dabir posted:

There's "uphill battle with a low tier" and then there's trying to play Little Mac in smash. the character does not function in this game.

little mac absolutely destroys noobs who dont have good fundamentals

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Unless the character is literally incapable of doing damage to his opponents, they're just fine to play as.

Patware
Jan 3, 2005

RareAcumen posted:

Unless the character is literally incapable of doing damage to his opponents, they're just fine to play as.

scary ghost dog posted:

little mac absolutely destroys noobs who dont have good fundamentals

i think it's pretty clear contextually that people are talking competitively and little mac is nonfunctional competitively

little mac is For Fun

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!
Choosing a fighter for aesthetics is whatever

Deciding a person's personality by aesthetics and running it to the ground for 100 hours despite literally everything on screen saying otherwise is the bad stuff Woolie does

Rody One Half
Feb 18, 2011

Woolie opening this week by praising Poland because Tekken is very Head In Bucket, Only Fighting Games Exist.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

It is no longer kosher to compliment Poland. They have yet to take responsibility.

a cartoon duck
Sep 5, 2011

RareAcumen posted:

It is no longer kosher to compliment Poland. They have yet to take responsibility.

last i checked like a third of the country declared itself a gay-free zone, so, yeah

Kazzah
Jul 15, 2011

Formerly known as
Krazyface
Hair Elf
drat, guess they're all orcs then

Overlord K
Jun 14, 2009

Tae posted:

Choosing a fighter for aesthetics is whatever

Deciding a person's personality by aesthetics and running it to the ground for 100 hours despite literally everything on screen saying otherwise is the bad stuff Woolie does

Sounds like 13 Sentinels.

Yardbomb
Jul 11, 2011

It sucks that so much of Poland has fully undertaken becoming a right wing shitpit, obviously not the whole country, but fascist rear end leadership and a bunch of boneheads loving that sure sucks a lot.

Mywhatacleanturtle
Jul 23, 2006

Yardbomb posted:

It sucks that so much of Poland has fully undertaken becoming a right wing shitpit, obviously not the whole country, but fascist rear end leadership and a bunch of boneheads loving that sure sucks a lot.

I mean, this pretty much describes numerous countries, currently, especially Hungary and Brazil (though hopefully not for long, in the latter case).

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

a cartoon duck posted:

last i checked like a third of the country declared itself a gay-free zone, so, yeah

Again, said responsibility that they're committed to dodging

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo

Mywhatacleanturtle posted:

I mean, this pretty much describes numerous countries, currently, especially Hungary and Brazil (though hopefully not for long, in the latter case).

Also the USA until January 2021 (well, arguably until today, but), haha. But yeah, right-wing populism has been on the rise in plenty of countries.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007

Patware posted:

i think it's pretty clear contextually that people are talking competitively and little mac is nonfunctional competitively

little mac is For Fun

just dont want people to think little mac is the dan of smash bros