Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bank
Feb 20, 2004
I made a few late night purchases this week, mostly because I liked the colors.

By order of purchase:

Lamy Studio in Glacier (2020 SE) in EF
Not sure how I remember seeing this, but I seesawed on it for weeks. Heard the grip can be slippery, but I don't have sweaty hands when I write so hopefully it'll be ok.

Kaweco Ice Sport in yellow
Also another purchase due to color. I already have one (thanks to meat glitter) and when using it this week, really respected the nib as it's super solid and hasn't skipped at all. I saw this color randomly and had to have it.

TWSBI 580ALR
Goulet takes such fantastic photos. I saw this and the colors popped so hard on my screen. I have an Eco, Eco-T, and was planning a Vac Mini, but since these were limited edition I needed to pick this up first. I heard the grip can get kinda cruddy because of the ridges, but no big deal for me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Keetron
Sep 26, 2008

Check out my enormous testicles in my TFLC log!

iospace posted:

Though it turns out TWSBI has another limited edition coming out, this time another piston filler:
https://andersonpens.com/twsbi-draco-fountain-pen-limited-edition/

I never before have seen a pen that screams "Black Swan in Australian Roses" before.

Iroshizuku Momiji. :colbert:

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Keetron posted:

Iroshizuku Momiji. :colbert:

Hmm... you may have a point there.

grack
Jan 10, 2012

COACH TOTORO SAY REFEREE CAN BANISH WHISTLE TO LAND OF WIND AND GHOSTS!

meat glitter posted:

did thAt stand come with the pen or did you have to pay extra

That stand came with the pen. Awesome bonus, in my mind.

MockingQuantum
Jan 20, 2012

Bank posted:

TWSBI 580ALR
Goulet takes such fantastic photos. I saw this and the colors popped so hard on my screen. I have an Eco, Eco-T, and was planning a Vac Mini, but since these were limited edition I needed to pick this up first. I heard the grip can get kinda cruddy because of the ridges, but no big deal for me.

The Prussian blue 580 looks just as good in real life, it's one of my top three pens. I haven't noticed the grip getting cruddy but even if it did, it's probably easy enough to clean.

404notfound
Mar 5, 2006

stop staring at me

Does TWSBI still have QC issues? Last I checked, they were really good about sending out free parts if you had problems, but like, they had a lot of problems. I don't think I've had a single TWSBI pen that didn't develop at least one crack somewhere, although thankfully most of them were cosmetic.

Bank
Feb 20, 2004
From what I've read they have fixed it (for over a year now). I suspect they had been using the wrong mixtures or something. Given the acrylic material I always expect them to feel cheap, but once I pick them up they feel great.

None of mine have had issues yet, but they were acquired in the past 6-9 months, so fairly new.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

*looks at plat icon*

:getin:

Doctor Dogballs
Apr 1, 2007

driving the fuck truck from hand land to pound town without stopping at suction station

iospace posted:

*looks at plat icon*

:getin:

how?!

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Mod privilege, natch.

Meowspergers
May 20, 2019

Ricochet World Champion
Been using the Pelikan M200 and the Pilot Metro side by side for a few days now. I like the integral piston-fill reservoir on the M200 and the nib is 24k gold plated, but overall its light weight makes it feel like the best 20 buck pen you can buy for 150 dollars. The Metro, on the other hand, is definitely an outstanding value - it puts ink down with razor precision and feels good in my hand.

What do you guys suggest for waterproof ink? From what I've read, it seems a lot fussier to use than the regular, water-soluble kind.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

54th Mass.

No debate.

e: to expand, a little: it's Noodler's bulletproof line, so it's not going to be as fussy as the Platinum Carbon ink. Most of Noodler's bulletproof stuff isn't going to regularly clog your pen, either, and most of it has some water resistance to it, but 54th Mass won't even twitch at water.

Two caveats:

1. it bonds with cellulose, so it will permanently stain your clothes.
2. You're buying the Dr. Bronner's of ink, take that as you will.

iospace fucked around with this message at 02:08 on Mar 25, 2021

Bank
Feb 20, 2004
I just got my Lamy Studio, and it feels great. Looks just like the photos online. There's definitely some weight to it, but in a good way. The quality feels just as good as my Metro, maybe slightly better due to the cap/body gap tolerances they have. The clip is a bit too tall for me, but otherwise I am satisfied with the purchase. No nib tweaking required this time, and it is an EF.

#NoGap

aldantefax
Oct 10, 2007

ALWAYS BE MECHFISHIN'
If I'm 34, am I too old for a Sailor Young Profit, and now I need to buy a King of Pen instead??

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

aldantefax posted:

If I'm 34, am I too old for a Sailor Young Profit, and now I need to buy a King of Pen instead??

No, but buy both.

aldantefax
Oct 10, 2007

ALWAYS BE MECHFISHIN'
Hmmmmmm.

You drive a convincing argument...

The Electronaut
May 10, 2009

aldantefax posted:

The non KoP lines have felt too small for my tastes. I don’t have absurd sized hands (squarely in Medium generic sizing for gloves) just something about both the 1911 Large and the Pro Gear feel small to me. So buy from a vendor where you can return easily?

Bank
Feb 20, 2004
Anyone know if this vendor is legit? pens_n_more on eBay
https://www.ebay.com/itm/371188004135

I'm thinking about picking up a white Safari just cuz, and this is an excellent price for what I hope is a legit one.

grack
Jan 10, 2012

Bank posted:

Anyone know if this vendor is legit? pens_n_more on eBay
https://www.ebay.com/itm/371188004135

I'm thinking about picking up a white Safari just cuz, and this is an excellent price for what I hope is a legit one.

54k+ feedback and 98.8% positive feedback.

If they aren't legit, they're running a hell of a long con.

Bank
Feb 20, 2004
Hmm 1% bad feedback with that volume isn't great either though (>5k unhappy customers). I'll just give it a shot and triple check it when it arrives.

Edit: Meh it's only $20 :shrug:

Bank fucked around with this message at 02:39 on Mar 26, 2021

grack
Jan 10, 2012

Well, here's a bit of a palette cleanser from that Invicta

New Delta day today, a Delta WE Aromatherapy in a lovely orange-flecked brown celluloid

Why is it called the Aromatherapy?

Well, it's because the pen has a screw-out bamboo diffuser in the clip and comes with a bottle of aromatic oil. Lovely floral scent with a bit of citrus.

:allears: Oh Delta, you were too beautiful for this world.

Queadlunn
Dec 10, 2005

Yak Deculture!
Fallen Rib
Can't afford stuff like Deltas, I can afford old stuff like this Wahl I just received though!

Wahl Eversharp Gold Seal

Just needs to be re-sacked and cleaned. My sad phone can't get a photo to do the pen justice. It's about a century old and still looks incredible.

grack
Jan 10, 2012

Oh, also important was the literature that came with the pen:

Meowspergers
May 20, 2019

Ricochet World Champion

Queadlunn posted:

Can't afford stuff like Deltas, I can afford old stuff like this Wahl I just received though!

Wahl Eversharp Gold Seal

Just needs to be re-sacked and cleaned. My sad phone can't get a photo to do the pen justice. It's about a century old and still looks incredible.

That pen looks incredible! I've been looking at/for stuff from around this period.

sb hermit
Dec 13, 2016

I did not believe that the Ohto Tasche would be too short for my smallest short converter but I have been proven wrong.

I'll have to use carts and syringes but it is the most tiniest pen. So awesome. I would not want to write a novel with it though.

Queadlunn
Dec 10, 2005

Yak Deculture!
Fallen Rib

Meowspergers posted:

That pen looks incredible! I've been looking at/for stuff from around this period.

It looks really nice in person, loads of caked ink and a hundred-year old degraded sac to clean out. Ones like this are something like a hundred USD on ebay pretty regularly.

bulletsponge13
Apr 28, 2010

I ended up with a bunch of Jinhao Swan and Shark pens for adding color to stuff. They ended up being cheaper than a bunch of varsity, and easier. Hopefully they will be consistent enough not to drive me bonkers.

meat glitter
Nov 12, 2019

grack posted:

Well, here's a bit of a palette cleanser from that Invicta

New Delta day today, a Delta WE Aromatherapy in a lovely orange-flecked brown celluloid

Why is it called the Aromatherapy?

Well, it's because the pen has a screw-out bamboo diffuser in the clip and comes with a bottle of aromatic oil. Lovely floral scent with a bit of citrus.

:allears: Oh Delta, you were too beautiful for this world.

i saw this post as i was phone scrolling before bed and when i woke up this morning i was all "nah that must have been like a pre-sleep hallucination" because "aromatherapy fountain pen" seems surreal enough to be a thing someone would dream about but

nope here it is, real, in the cold light of day

also i got the procolor!! i like it!! it's not scratchy but it also is, in a cool way so

Volkova III
Jan 5, 2021

bulletsponge13 posted:

I ended up with a bunch of Jinhao Swan and Shark pens for adding color to stuff. They ended up being cheaper than a bunch of varsity, and easier. Hopefully they will be consistent enough not to drive me bonkers.

Those dumb little sharky bois are pretty great, honestly. They're priced about what they're worth, IMHO, but they're reliabile. Or, well, mine is.

Owlspiracy
Nov 4, 2020

hello hopefully this is the place to ask but I am looking for recommendations for a pen. I have some sub $30 pens I’ve used - Lamy mostly - but am looking to splurge to celebrate a really big personal accomplishment. I’m looking for a ballpoint pen that’s just... really cool. I like Japanese resin style pens, no precious metal and would like to spend up to $500

grack
Jan 10, 2012

At that price you could get a Pilot Custom 845.

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

Creepy little garbage eaters

Aruan posted:

hello hopefully this is the place to ask but I am looking for recommendations for a pen. I have some sub $30 pens I’ve used - Lamy mostly - but am looking to splurge to celebrate a really big personal accomplishment. I’m looking for a ballpoint pen that’s just... really cool. I like Japanese resin style pens, no precious metal and would like to spend up to $500

Try a fountain pen and get a Pilot Custom 823, the most perfect pen ever created. If you absolutely must stick with ballpoints and want something fancy I say an Aurora Optima or if you want a Japanese pen, something from Sailor, a 1911 Large, or a Pro Gear.

Owlspiracy
Nov 4, 2020

grack posted:

At that price you could get a Pilot Custom 845.

This is really cool and probably exactly what I'm looking for - I guess when I meant 'resin' I meant lacquer - I really like the depth/pattern/and color of lacquer pens.

howe_sam posted:

Try a fountain pen and get a Pilot Custom 823, the most perfect pen ever created. If you absolutely must stick with ballpoints and want something fancy I say an Aurora Optima or if you want a Japanese pen, something from Sailor, a 1911 Large, or a Pro Gear.

Thanks for the suggestions but I think I'm looking for something with more "character" to the lacquer/resin if that makes sense.

Chip McFuck
Jul 24, 2007

We droppin' like a comet and this Vulcan tried to Spock it/These Martians tried to do it, but knew they couldn't cop it

Personally, if I was in the market for a fancy ballpoint then an Aurora Optima in the green aureloid or a Pelikan M800 in stone garden would be real high on my list. They come in a bunch of different colors, but these two are probably my favorites. Here's some photos and a link to each:

Aurora Optima

Pelikan M800

Dad Hominem
Dec 4, 2005

Standing room only on the Disco Bus
Fun Shoe

Aruan posted:

This is really cool and probably exactly what I'm looking for - I guess when I meant 'resin' I meant lacquer - I really like the depth/pattern/and color of lacquer pens.

The 845 is great and I use the similar 75th Anniversary as a daily writer. Something to watch out for though is that the section isn't lacquered (if you look at a red one, all the black bits are normal Pilot plastic), but it doesn't bug me in practice.

For urushi in roughly this range, you can also look at Namiki Nippon Art, that other bunch of urushi Pilots that for whatever reason aren't Namiki branded (eg https://www.pilot.co.jp/products/pen/fountain/fountain/hira_makie/) or Platinum Izumo.

gschmidl
Sep 3, 2011

watch with knife hands

If you want something stylish as gently caress (but not resin), Pilot Capless LS. Probably my favorite pen.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Are the sailor 1911 pens nice? I hear that the nibs are good, but is the body material nice to touch or does it feel like hard plastic?

Dad Hominem
Dec 4, 2005

Standing room only on the Disco Bus
Fun Shoe

Antifa Turkeesian posted:

Are the sailor 1911 pens nice? I hear that the nibs are good, but is the body material nice to touch or does it feel like hard plastic?

They're just normal plastic unless I'm forgetting some sort of limited edition.

Shellception
Oct 12, 2016

"I'm made up of the memories of my parents and my grandparents, all my ancestors. They're in the way I look, in the colour of my hair. And I'm made up of everyone I've ever met who's changed the way I think"

Queadlunn posted:

Wahl Eversharp Gold Seal

poo poo, this looks pretty as hell. Lovely celluloid there. A great catch! Don't worry about the dirtyness, that's what pens were built to withstand. As long as everything is in place, new sac and a good cleaning are easy.

I really want to be employed again so I can chase some old pens. Oh well.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chip McFuck
Jul 24, 2007

We droppin' like a comet and this Vulcan tried to Spock it/These Martians tried to do it, but knew they couldn't cop it

Antifa Turkeesian posted:

Sailors are probably my favorite pens, but the material in the hand doesn't really feel different than any other quality resin pen. It's smooth and sturdy enough to take some punishment. I've accidentally dropped one of my pro gears a couple of times and it hasn't cracked or scuffed.