Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

JethroMcB
Jan 23, 2004

We're normal now.
We love your family.

Powered Descent posted:

I went back and checked: the last time anything happened (they found her lost dog) was nineteen days ago. Since then, it's been wall-to-wall talking about how much they love dogs, and there's no sign that it's about to let up.

Following standard Mary Worth scheduling, we've got to rehash this entire ordeal and talk about what we've learned ("Mary! Dogs...good!") and have Saul effusively thank Mary for...something. My guess is that on Friday or Saturday we'll see Mary taking a victory lap with her "special friend" about how SHE solved THIS one, which will probably bleed over into Sunday. (Though my fingers are crossed that Saul will casually mention the "...and then her husband tried to murder her!..." stuff and we'll end on a freeze-frame of Mary looking horrified, like the announcer watching the fatality-heavy "Baseball bloopers" reel in The Naked Gun.) Monday we'll start a banal new "adventure."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

Mary Worth would be improved if all the comic was from here on out was two old people talking about how much they like dogs

sweeperbravo
May 18, 2012

AUNT GWEN'S COLD SHAPE (!)
how many days must a man praise his dog,
before you can call him insane?
and how many guns must a labrador face,
before he won't hide in the rain?

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Objection! I object! That was... objectionable!

Taco Defender

Slammy posted:

Banana Oil! (January 12, 1924)

I'm really not feeling Banana Oil. Maybe it needs more time to find its stride, but at the very least it could stop letting all of the air out of the joke by repeating "BANANA OIL!" every final panel.

Johnny Walker posted:

Mark Trail

This seems more like an old person's idea of what a viral video would be.
This is kinda surprising coming from someone as Online as Jules seems to be. Right ingredients(lots of songs go viral on tiktok but only in little snippets), wrong arrangement.

ukonvasara
Aug 16, 2012

a mixture of gravity and waggery

sweeperbravo posted:

how many days must a man praise his dog,
before you can call him insane?
and how many guns must a labrador face,
before he won't hide in the rain?

:golfclap:

catlord
Mar 22, 2009

What's on your mind, Axa?

dismas posted:

So first two sentences, okay, I'm on board (e: with a generous reading of what it means to be confused)

and then

Yyyup.

Dinky Dinkerton and Flyin' Jenny Oct. 5th, 1940

That's it for the first Dinky Dinkerton story. What did you think? It kinda makes me think of a detective-themed Smokey Stover with half the charm, but I didn't dislike it enough to kill it if people enjoyed it.

Axa

Is this gonna be one those stories, Romero? Do I need to get the spray bottle?

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer
I hope the downfall of civilisation didn't strip too much of the ozone layer. She'll end up 90% melanoma.

Medenmath
Jan 18, 2003
Vintage Valiant (May 21, 1944)

The Medieval Castle (May 21, 1944)

EBB
Feb 15, 2005

Camelot!

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

FrumpleOrz posted:

On The Fastrack

Safe Havens

Kevin & Kell

I know these are from much earlier but just...loving gently caress you, Holbrook.

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

Tetēnusagi

Bogor

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

We haven't had that spirit here since 1969.

EBB posted:

Camelot!

It's only a model.

ikanreed
Sep 25, 2009

I honestly I have no idea who cannibal[SIC] is and I do not know why I should know.

syq dude, just syq!

Ghostlight posted:

Tetēnusagi

Um.

EBB
Feb 15, 2005

It's exactly what it looks like :wtc:

Kennel
May 1, 2008

BAWWW-UNH!
Belly rubbing rabbits appeared several times in Q-rais' Chako comics, but I still don't understand what's their deal.

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

JethroMcB posted:

It's in line with how TikTok works, with the split screen video thing. Also if horseshit like that "Milk is the cereal's dad" song could gain traction on TikTok, this absolutely could.
I think reptillianire is supposed to be a reference to Moshow The Cat Rapper too.

Evrart Claire
Jan 11, 2008

Medenmath posted:

Vintage Valiant (May 21, 1944)

Yessss, more Gawain!

(I still really need to binge through from the start)

FrumpleOrz
Feb 12, 2014

Perhaps you have not been to the *Playground*.
The *Playground* is for Taalo and for Orz, but *Campers* can go.
It more fun than several.
You can go there for too much fun.
The Lockhorns

Brewster Rockit Space Guy

On The Fastrack

Safe Havens

Kevin & Kell

Mother Goose & Grimm

Hagar The Horrible

Sherman's Lagoon

Ella Cinders

Zorro

Reply All

Sweaty IT Nerd
Jul 13, 2007

Hey. That's a pretty good foob.

EasyEW
Mar 8, 2006

I've got my father's great big six-shooter with me 'n' if anybody in this woods wants to start somethin' just let 'em--but they DASSN'T.
Sally Forth

Pearls Before Swine

Skippy (August 26 and 28, 1933)

Peanuts (March 26-27, 1974)

The Further Adventures Of Cranky Dinkleshaft

Crankshaft

Mutt and Jeff

Rip Haywire

Thimble Theater (October 22-23, 1937)

Out Our Way (April 30-May 2, 1936)

Toonerville Folks (May 28-30, 1917)

Dok's "Getting The Hell Outta Dodge" Duck (July 6, 1913)

So from here, The Duck (by Dok) takes a two week break. However, they were a very eventful two weeks for Seattle and the Seattle Times. Especially the last three or four days.

It's an interesting story. Here's hoping I don't screw it up on the retelling.

EasyEW fucked around with this message at 02:25 on Mar 25, 2021

Presto
Nov 22, 2002

Keep calm and Harry on.
I'm imagining this as Mary just spouting platitudes.

Saul: Blah blah blah
Mary: Yeah, a good relationship work both ways.
Saul: Blah blah blah blah
Mary: Uh huh. The best relationships make us better people.
Saul: Blah blah blah blah.
Mary: Look, would you just go the gently caress home?

Slammy
Mar 30, 2011

Great speech.
PPHPFT!!
And He Did! (December 28, 1917)

Outbursts of Everett True (May 21, 1918)

Haifisch posted:

I'm really not feeling Banana Oil. Maybe it needs more time to find its stride, but at the very least it could stop letting all of the air out of the joke by repeating "BANANA OIL!" every final panel.
I have bad news for you.
Banana Oil! (January 13, 1924)

Gay and Her Gang (May 3, 1929)

Oaky Doaks (October 3, 1935)

Dark Laughter (April 10, 1943)

Mopsy Sunday (April 4, 1948)

Those Were the Days (May 1, 1952)

Dinky Fellas (June 24, 1965)

Wee Pals (June 24, 1965)

rannum
Nov 3, 2012

The rabbit from last comic keeps sneaking in and eating his carrots from the garden
it's now elevated to sneaking in and eating his meals

readingatwork
Jan 8, 2009

Hello Fatty!

Fun Shoe
Crabgrass

Support Tauhid's Patreon here.

Old School Peanuts (Aug 2-3, 1952)

Calvin and Hobbes (Feb 27-Mar 2, 1989)

Robbie and Bobby

(Sep 13-20, 2019)

Support Jason's Patreon (and see new My Dad is Draculas) here.

skeleton warrior
Nov 12, 2016

Selachian posted:

Richard's Poor Almanac

The third panel got a serious laugh from me, and then I noticed the difference in tip jars and laughed again.

davidspackage
May 16, 2007

Nap Ghost

catlord posted:

Axa

Is this gonna be one those stories, Romero? Do I need to get the spray bottle?

I was really expecting Axa to leave Dirk behind in the last story, only to find a new man. Her thing seems to be hooking up with steamy jerks, seeing them for what they are and then hooking up with a new steamy jerk.

:lol: It looks kinda bad, but they're flying over a forest, not an ocean, so I think it's just a cartoonish escalation of tossing the rabbit from the car earlier.

Strontium
Aug 28, 2009

Dexter didn't much care for the party.
Daddy Daze

Take It From the Tinkersons

Dark Side of the Horse

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

Wait about 10 years, kid, and you're bound to make serious bank on Dark Talon.

Wait about 25 and you're gonna be amazed how much traction squirrel powers can get.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

davidspackage posted:

:lol: It looks kinda bad, but they're flying over a forest, not an ocean, so I think it's just a cartoonish escalation of tossing the rabbit from the car earlier.

When I was a kid we'd trap critters who got places they shouldn't (squirrels and rabbits, general population of both was low enough in our area to bother), drive them about 10 miles outside of town and release them. Bit of a futile effort, we joked that they'd get home before we did, but I just automatically parsed that as what was going on here instead of murder attempts.

Mikl
Nov 8, 2009

Vote shit sandwich or the shit sandwich gets it!
Classic Kevin & Kell (May 8-12, 2000), in which Rudy does a really lovely thing.

Reminder: by this point, the social stigma associated with domestication is similar to being gay or HIV positive in the late '80s - early '90s. (Also, please note that apparently everything Vin did was posturing, to hide his insecurity as being domesticated.)

So basically Rudy just outed Vin to everyone (there's even a newspaper article about it!), ruining his reputation and future prospects. Our hero, folks!

Pastry of the Year
Apr 12, 2013

Arlo and Janis

Tina's Groove Classic (July 17, 2009)

Arlo and Janis Classic (July 17, 1999)

Garfield Classic (July 17, 1989)

Selachian
Oct 9, 2012

Rhymes with Orange

Get Fuzzy 3/24/01

Brenda Starr 2/21-23/46

Smokey Stover 2/25/40

Richard's Poor Almanac

manero
Jan 30, 2006

Nancy 1946

ikanreed
Sep 25, 2009

I honestly I have no idea who cannibal[SIC] is and I do not know why I should know.

syq dude, just syq!

rannum posted:

The rabbit from last comic keeps sneaking in and eating his carrots from the garden
it's now elevated to sneaking in and eating his meals

It's not that I don't get the joke. It's that this is famously the method of execution dictator Augusto Pinochet used on political enemies.

Mercedes Colomar
Nov 1, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Family Circus

Rose is Rose

One Big Happy

Foob

Compu-Toon

Bizarro

Vargo
Dec 27, 2008

'Cuz it's KILLIN' ME!

Look at dat happy Batman

BCN

Phoebe

I think that first word bubble in panel 4 is supposed to point to Marigold, not Phoebe.

Wallace

Curtis

There is more therapy and misogyny in the comments today, but also one older woman who is having none of it.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Vargo posted:

Phoebe

I think that first word bubble in panel 4 is supposed to point to Marigold, not Phoebe.
I'm not mathematician, but....

Also, get 'em Sharon!

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

Creepy little garbage eaters

Vargo posted:

Phoebe

It could also be a case of phoebe beating Marigold to the punchline, though in that case I personally wouldn't use an exclamation point.

Darthemed
Oct 28, 2007

"A data unit?
For me?
"

College Slice
Docks

Retail

Popular Comics

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr. Squishy
Mar 22, 2010

A country where you can always get richer.

ikanreed posted:

It's not that I don't get the joke. It's that this is famously the method of execution dictator Augusto Pinochet used on political enemies.

Other people have been thrown from helicopters (it shows up in the de Palma Scarface, for instance). I'm speaking from ignorance, but maybe the Japanese far right don't talk about Pinochet's use of it as much as the western far right does. It's just cartoon violence, not politically coded cartoon violence.