Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo
Yeah, I've got workbenches buried under the flooring all over my base

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

plester1
Jul 9, 2004

joepinetree posted:

Enemies can't spawn within the effective radius of a workbench. So if your base starts getting big, just add more workbenches spread throughout and it will prevent enemies from spawning inside the walls.

It's not just workbenches either, they won't spawn near any crafting stations, beds, fires, portals, and wards.

https://valheim.fandom.com/wiki/Spawns has a full list of items that prevent monster spawns.

robotsinmyhead
Nov 29, 2005

Dude, they oughta call you Piledriver!

Clever Betty

Johnny Truant posted:

:hmmyes:

my number of deaths to fulings dropped markedly when i actually had my headset on with sound effects.

those two-star spear fuckers can still take a long walk off a short pier, though :mad:

The sound 'tracking' in this game is incredibly good and has definitely saved me and my Viking Lifemate many times. For whatever reason, Trolls are the quietest monsters in the whole drat game.

Red Red Blue
Feb 11, 2007

Last night we managed to summon 2 of the 4th boss at the same time and we were absolutely not prepared for that, and one of them kept destroying our nearby portal so we kept having to scramble to rebuild it so the people who died could actually come back. I wasn't timing it but took us a really long time to finally kill one of them and it was weirdly satisfying despite how kinda frustrating it felt in the moment

This game kinda owns?

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

Down came the glitches and burned us in ditches and we slept after eating our dead.

robotsinmyhead posted:

For whatever reason, Trolls are the quietest monsters in the whole drat game.

Everyone knows trolls are stealthy, that's why the troll gear gives you a stealth bonus. Sneaky giant fuckers ambushing my while I chop wood...

Johnny Truant
Jul 22, 2008

robotsinmyhead posted:

The sound 'tracking' in this game is incredibly good and has definitely saved me and my Viking Lifemate many times. For whatever reason, Trolls are the quietest monsters in the whole drat game.

:agreed:

i probably do the world's fastest camera 360 if i even THINK i hear a fuckin buzzing.

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

Johnny Truant posted:

^^^^^ i'm actually kinda sad i've never been killed by felling trees or anything; i joined a server with like 4 other friends and they had already set up a base and had extra armour so i was never killed by the trees

Yeah falling tree damage in particular needs to be way higher, or ignore armor or something, because watching a friend get killed by a tree that lands on them is legitimately the funniest thing that happens in this game.

WoodrowSkillson
Feb 24, 2005

*Gestures at 60 years of Lions history*

PittTheElder posted:

Yeah falling tree damage in particular needs to be way higher, or ignore armor or something, because watching a friend get killed by a tree that lands on them is legitimately the funniest thing that happens in this game.

Literally happened to me and my buddy when we first fired it up. Not even in leather clothing yet, just cutting down trees and my buddy is running up to show me his fancy new flint axe and i drop a tree right on him.

bus hustler
Mar 14, 2019

Ha Ha Ha... YES!

Khanstant posted:

The reason it only takes easy biome materials is so it can be something you can easily acquire and stock, carry with you, or even if not, procure materials on site. You can wash ashore naked almost anywhere and punch your way up to everything you need to bootstrap a portal. The low material cost and easy availability of mats means you can afford to poo poo out a portal just about anywhere.

this just has to be backwards. the reason it only takes easy biome materials is so that you can access it around the time you are in those biomes and may need to sail for a swamp. a portal isn't even useful if you die unless you happen to have an unconnected one somewhere.

they didn't design the entire game around dying and being able to re-make a portal or whatever. they take what they take because those resources are kind of hard to get, so portals feel kind of rare, then much more plentiful later.

bus hustler fucked around with this message at 19:06 on Mar 24, 2021

Jarmak
Jan 24, 2005

I think they should add a paper-doll inventory system and make it so only drop your backpack on death. If you wanted to make corpse runs still worthwhile do something like double the skill penalty but get half of it back if you pray to Odin at you gravestone or something. Remove the no skill loss period.

I'm all for death having consequences and open to lots of ideas to making it painful but the equipment dropping is just an obnoxious way to do it, the souls games got that right. Losing gear means you either have to go back and do previous stuff to remake it (if you haven't depleted the resources), or do annoying naked corpse runs. Getting really well prepared to make another expedition seems more fun. If you're doing the thing where you get part of your skill loss back you can rip off souls and make it so you lose that opportunity if you die again so that second expedition is tense.

Sixto Lezcano
Jul 11, 2007

I keep thinking I’m done w this for now, but then I crest a hill or round a corner and I see some poo poo that gets me real excited again. Last night I found two BIG stone ruins on the slopes of a mountain I’m settling, and then learned there’s plains at the foot of said mountain. Which means every biome is present on that continent, with a mountain so tall you can hardly see the sea below. So I gotta build some poo poo worthy of the location.

drat.

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin

xzzy posted:

gently caress safety equipment

https://i.imgur.com/vUN1Bbl.mp4

Try building out iron wood supports with core on the side to snap to it, it's really uneven footing and tense as hell when you're way out and over a pillar

I just had a few rough corpse runs, was challenging myself by fighting fulings at night, overconfident, didn't bring healing potions. Die because I'm sick of waiting to regen and keep wading back in to melee

Go back in wolf armor , sail right into skeeters. No problem. Why do my parries keep failing ??
By the time I have 4 skeeters on me, 2 lox, and 2 filings I realize I'd hit the shield button too fast and hadn't pulled it out and was just parrying with my sword. Try to run and get mobbed by the 4 skeeters

So just recruited my friend and went back easily since I didn't want to make new non troll gear

Jarmak
Jan 24, 2005

On the topic of things that make the game easier but more fun: there needs to be some better exploration aids. I finally use a seed mapper to find a trader, and while I was at it I noticed I could turn off everything on the map except colors painted for biomes. I was starting to get some burnout because I couldn't find a good mountain or the trader after sailing around for hours, and it got me instantly reinvested. The low level of information meant I still had to go sail around a couple prospective spots and map a couple coastlines before I settled on a Draugr village inside a bay that runs right up to the base of a mountain with plains on either side of the bay.

Even after I cheated it still took me a good hour or two of exploring, but now it was really exciting because I knew it wasn't yet another nth worthless black forest I was running through on the way to nowhere. Some way of getting equivalently low-detail information to help you direct your exploration, or just some tools to help exploring, would help in the later game.

Maybe make a per-tier exploration item that increases map reveal distance.. or a spyglass that you can look through and it centers the map reveal where you're looking at... or even maybe something you can do with the wishbone that reveals very vague biome information on the map. Just anything

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

Down came the glitches and burned us in ditches and we slept after eating our dead.
Climbing a mountain should give you a massive view out on the map for everything on that side of the mountain.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

An earlier game equivalent would also be nice, you could link map reveal to altitude (or perhaps even better, work out the height difference between map pixels and your current height and reveal things further out based on how high above them you are) and also include some discoverable things in the world, or some kind of consumable, that can do the same thing.

Jarmak
Jan 24, 2005

GlyphGryph posted:

Climbing a mountain should give you a massive view out on the map for everything on that side of the mountain.

One of the ideas I had but didn't throw in the post was assassins' creed-style lookouts on the mountains that reveal huge chunks of the map.

Imo at that beginning of that tier is the best time to do it. The blind exploration is fun through the dark forest phase, but starts to really drag during the swamp phase depending on how hard it is to find a good one. I think letting people have more information when setting out for their Mountain/plains expedition is good timing.

Jarmak
Jan 24, 2005

OwlFancier posted:

An earlier game equivalent would also be nice, you could link map reveal to altitude (or perhaps even better, work out the height difference between map pixels and your current height and reveal things further out based on how high above them you are) and also include some discoverable things in the world, or some kind of consumable, that can do the same thing.

You could do a whole chain of exploration tools to increase mapping distance:

sundial compass (make it have to be built in a location if you want the extra flavor) > brass looking glass > floating lodestone compass > silver looking glass > sextant

Or something like that.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

True, yes. Though I admit I would probably prefer a new gameplay system rather than just more things to build, the game already has a lot of just stuff to build to get a stat increase. More things to actually do and reasons to go to new places would be more appealing and encourage you to explore the quite pretty environment.

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin

GlyphGryph posted:

Yeah , the terrain should make way more of a difference than just a fixed radius. If you can see it from a boat, it should be marked. See it from mountain, yes. Meadow? Sure. In dense forest or swamp? Nope

Sixto Lezcano
Jul 11, 2007

As a holdover solution I really recommend the mod (can’t look up rn, at work) that scales explo off Run skill. It’s not perfect but it’s given me something juuust mechanical enough to feel Real. Especially w Run leveling naturally as you travel. Now every Run level is another meter of mapping and I am a distance marathon god.

Bioshuffle
Feb 10, 2011

No good deed goes unpunished

What's the best way to incorporate stone into base buildings? A stone castle seems a bit too daunting, but I'd like to add some stone into my bases somehow.

All these death run stories make me feel better about all the stupid ways I've died. There's definitely a particular oh poo poo moment as you realize you forgot to set the proper spawn.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

The structure system encourages you to make stone footings for your base because it affords a great deal of stability to wood placed on top of it.

So you can do that, build the bottom out of stone, build the top out of wood.

Or just the floor if you like, or even just part of the floor.

Otacon
Aug 13, 2002

Holy moly, just came across this super useful tutorial. Ever wanted to build underwater?

https://old.reddit.com/r/valheim/comments/mcdrey/building_underwater/

This has a lot of practical applications and I am excited to begin reworking my docks.

Echophonic
Sep 16, 2005

ha;lp
Gun Saliva

OwlFancier posted:

The structure system encourages you to make stone footings for your base because it affords a great deal of stability to wood placed on top of it.

So you can do that, build the bottom out of stone, build the top out of wood.

Or just the floor if you like, or even just part of the floor.

I like the alternating floor pattern. How do you handle the wall joins, the 45-degree roof segments?

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

Otacon posted:

Holy moly, just came across this super useful tutorial. Ever wanted to build underwater?

https://old.reddit.com/r/valheim/comments/mcdrey/building_underwater/

This has a lot of practical applications and I am excited to begin reworking my docks.

Holy crap, this is awesome.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

I pinched the parquet floor idea from someone in this thread.

Which wall joins do you mean? The different roof angles are just done by either jamming them through each other or covering up the gaps with the angled beams.

The angled floor itself is just manually placed slighly lower than the stone floor level and intersects with the stone flooring outside.

Qubee
May 31, 2013

I love the adventure playing with friends provides, but the fact we're all required to grind the same stuff makes progression a ballache and kills the atmosphere. When you're on a server with friends but everyone's off doing their own thing to grind up new gear, it quickly starts to feel lonely. The alternative is to grind together, but then you run into the issue of "what's fair". If one guy is doing most of the work when it comes to mining, the lion's share of the loot should go to him, but then waiting on the smelters to make the ingots, it quickly becomes a huge timesink trying to kit up your team of three.

I've started playing solo on my own world just to grind mats. Does anyone have a solution to this that'd make grinding with friends equally rewarding?

toadee
Aug 16, 2003

North American Turtle Boy Love Association

Qubee posted:

I love the adventure playing with friends provides, but the fact we're all required to grind the same stuff makes progression a ballache and kills the atmosphere. When you're on a server with friends but everyone's off doing their own thing to grind up new gear, it quickly starts to feel lonely. The alternative is to grind together, but then you run into the issue of "what's fair". If one guy is doing most of the work when it comes to mining, the lion's share of the loot should go to him, but then waiting on the smelters to make the ingots, it quickly becomes a huge timesink trying to kit up your team of three.

I've started playing solo on my own world just to grind mats. Does anyone have a solution to this that'd make grinding with friends equally rewarding?

I dunno we just all work on stuff and make it available to everyone. Sometimes we'll drop in solo and mine some stuff and then drop it in a chest. Like the other day 4 of us went and mined like 700 iron, and we all made our padded kits with it, and then we just left a discord message "hey there's plenty of iron left go make your padded kit if you want it" and the rest of the people on our server did it. I think just making everything available to everyone just kind of works? Like I'm probably the only one on our server that actually farms food, and I just keep my own inventory stocked with 10/10/10 Lox Meat Pie/Blood Pudding/Fish Wraps at all times, and anything leftover I put in the Prepared Foods chests, and I literally have to bug people to take it because I made it for everyone.

I think just sharing everything and not getting upset about it is the best way, but I guess if your server isn't a group of close friends that might be harder.

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin
did some lox stuff: at 40 club and 33 spear, the porcupine is way bettr than spear as long as you're connecting that third hit after a parry. huge damage

for probably 'optimal' play its sneak attack dagger, throw spear, parry and 3 hit porky and i bet that would kill it

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

Qubee posted:

Might I interest you in the word of Marx?

haldolium
Oct 22, 2016

finally managed to get to bonemass on my seed where their spawns are almost on the outer edge (twice)

Its amazing how bosses work in this game. Not healing back to 100% after losing LOS/disengaging the fight and actively pursuing for an extreme range (forever?) if pulled. We managed after a few attempts with 2-3 deaths of 2 party members to kill him directly at our outpost. Now we just need to get rid of Moder which is now living in the plains in front of our main base due to the same behavior :v:

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin

Qubee posted:

I think the problem is early on there isn't enough stuff to split attention. Once you have a stonecutter you can do a lot more - I enjoyed mining while working my real life job, so the guy who played with me would work on roads, or on building a castle, or whatever. Then I'd show up with 300 iron or silver and we'd both be set

Then later I made a big wooden tower while he worked on farming. Or just now he tamed wolves while I raided fulings, that kind of thing

SubponticatePoster
Aug 9, 2004

Every day takes figurin' out all over again how to fuckin' live.
Slippery Tilde
Having some weird-rear end building issues. I found a ruined castle/tower up in the mountain biome near the boss spawn. Thought "hey, this'd be great for the boss run and also just making a sick mountain base." Knocked a little bit of the original building down (there was a weird walled-in raised platform right inside the front door) but left 99% of it intact. Start building and decided to throw down a nice throne room hanging out over a dropoff. Due to the size I'm using iron beams for stability. But random parts of my walls and ceilings keep disintegrating. I literally strapped the entire roof/wall up in iron beams and the beams will be blue or green, and the neighboring blocks will be green, but then I put down the piece and like...3 to 5 minutes later it explodes. And only certain ones. I'm absolutely baffled as to a) how a ceiling piece supported on all 4 sides with stable beams can just randomly collapse and b) why it takes so loving long to do so. It's making me bugfuck.

Schneider Inside Her
Aug 6, 2009

Please bitches. If nothing else I am a gentleman
Part of Valheim is logging back on to find all the bronze you mined last session missing, and the base building homebody decked out in full bronze armour

Echophonic
Sep 16, 2005

ha;lp
Gun Saliva

OwlFancier posted:

I pinched the parquet floor idea from someone in this thread.

Which wall joins do you mean? The different roof angles are just done by either jamming them through each other or covering up the gaps with the angled beams.

The angled floor itself is just manually placed slighly lower than the stone floor level and intersects with the stone flooring outside.

I meant where it hits the bottom edge of the wall. That makes sense, though. I may have to try that out.

Phigs
Jan 23, 2019

I want my health to go up with experience. It just feels a bit off that you never get more HP outside of food. Even something as small as 1 health point per 20 skill points or 2-3 per boss killed would work. Maybe I'm crazy but it just feels like HP staying static undermines the feeling of progression a little. I'm just so used to it progressing I guess.

toadee
Aug 16, 2003

North American Turtle Boy Love Association

Phigs posted:

I want my health to go up with experience. It just feels a bit off that you never get more HP outside of food. Even something as small as 1 health point per 20 skill points or 2-3 per boss killed would work. Maybe I'm crazy but it just feels like HP staying static undermines the feeling of progression a little. I'm just so used to it progressing I guess.

As you progress you get acess to more foods. Discovering metals unlocks cauldron and gets you cultivator to plant carrots for soup. Getting the crypt key and going to the swamp gets you entrails that unlock sausage, getting to the Plains unlocks barley and Lox etc.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

The high level foods can get you over 200 hitpoints, I think it's a pretty unique and interesting way to improve your health pool as the game progresses.

My only issue is with the way hitpoints decay, it kind of sucks to pop a bunch of fresh food in preparation for a boss fight and then someone is all "oops gotta go take a monster poo poo" and you're watching that number decay while they take care of business.

Phigs
Jan 23, 2019

I know I get tonnes of heath from food but the base HP never changing still bothers me. It's like seeing that number hit 25 every time my food runs out triggers a feeling that I've not progressed. I don't need it for mechanical reasons of staying alive.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fennesz
Dec 29, 2008

Wasn't a corpse run, but I did something pretty stupid today. A buddy and me went scouting way, way far down south. We took a Karve because we're lazy and dumb. Logged out at the southern most yellow point. I figured I'd run back the Karve today along with our cargo - my objective was the base the yellow line ends at. Yeah going west into then uncharted waters was slightly longer than going east.

Could have sailed east and taken the quick way back but my Moder skill wasn' on cooldown and "how big could this continent be?" :banjo: Apparently pretty loving big. To top it all off my Karve capsized for no reason after I took a portal back to base to sleep. Had to go cook more bronze up just to get the cargo home.