Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Who?
Seth
Gloria
Adelle
Elvis
View Results

ate shit on live tv
Feb 15, 2004

by Azathoth

Pollyanna posted:

Oh my god, I don’t know how we didn’t bring up Battle on the Big Bridge until now.

Oh yea. Also cools parts where you had to avoid the desert because of super-strong at the time enemies. The various chocobo's you got and how the map was gated uniquely for each, the flying vehicles. All those things are crucial for world building and a memorable game experience. FFV was such a good game. :allears:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

Oh yeah, wasn’t FFV the first appearance of the black chocobo?

Also how the desert had like a ruined city with an actual backstory relating to the crystals, which was a nice bit of worldbuilding. Also how when the world gets put back together again, and you expect that kinda thing to be a triumphant moment, but instead you get this, and you’re like, the gently caress?

I can see so much of FFV throughout the entire BD series and how the series is clearly a spinoff from it and FFIII, and that makes it even sadder how BD2 just...isn’t as good as even BS. Like it failed to iterate meaningfully on one of the first entries in its entire line, 4HOL notwithstanding.

Pollyanna fucked around with this message at 18:41 on Mar 24, 2021

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

Pollyanna posted:

Oh yeah, wasn’t FFV the first appearance of the black chocobo?

Black chocobos were introduced in FF4.

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

Good Citizen posted:

Anyone else just bodyslamming everything to death? I’m in chapter 3, maxed everyone as freelancer first thing, and since then I’ve killed everything I’ve run into with subclass freelancer doing a 1x forage 3x bodyslam. Works a lot better once you have the red mage ability that reduces sub class bp costs by one. There are jobs I’ve maxed where I’ve never used one of their skills.

I’m sure I’ll switch to another strategy eventually but until then, come on and slam

E: my bad I meant the pictomancer ability. Not red mage

Good news: You beat the game and nothing can stop you from doing this

In fact a late game class encourages you to do even more body slams

Ragequit
Jun 1, 2006

Lipstick Apathy

Hyper Crab Tank posted:

You know, it's weird. I give this game a lot of poo poo for Adam being such an under-developed nothing of a big villain.

I liked Adam solely because he sounded like Bill Nighy playing Davy Jones in Pirates of the Caribbean but with a Russian twist.

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

Evil Fluffy posted:

Black chocobos were introduced in FF4.

Whoops, you’re right!

Russad
Feb 19, 2011
There are at least 2 dungeons with effects.

One has poison bushes that damage you if you walk through them (but you can cut them with a sword swipe).

The other has vents on the floor that periodically release steam and absolutely annihilate your HP.

Hyper Crab Tank
Feb 10, 2014

The 16-bit retro-future of crustacean-based transportation

Ragequit posted:

I liked Adam solely because he sounded like Bill Nighy playing Davy Jones in Pirates of the Caribbean but with a Russian twist.

No one seems to have much of an accent with the Japanese voiceover, unfortunately... Sloan has generic old man voice with a lot of old-fashioned pronoun use, and Elvis uses wagahai a lot, but other than that. I don't even remember if Adam had any particular features to his voice...

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

The Kwanzaa Bot is here to protect me.

Evil Fluffy posted:

There's a fire/volcano(?) area with steam vents that do a lot of damage but that's all I can immediately think of. Unless it also negates sliding on ice and so forth.

There's also at least one with poison pools, but I think it's a dungeon you'd probably never even bother going into except for a single side quest. Which is neat that there are optional dungeons, but it seems a little odd when the main questline is so bereft of diverse content.

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

I’m not gonna lie, I’m getting real sick of running around this beach just to adjust my party away from physical and towards magical for a single boss.

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

Pollyanna posted:

Im not gonna lie, Im getting real sick of running around this beach just to adjust my party away from physical and towards magical for a single boss.

then don't? I'm telling y'all: beastmaster main, thief sub, surpassing power, put on at least 2 chars, equip immunity items as necessary, face boss, godspeed strike x4, battle over. You may need salvemaker or white mage on one of your other characters to keep things going on the harder battles where this doesn't kill them the first time around, but even that might not be necessary if you put beast/thief on all four of your characters.

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

raditts posted:

then don't? I'm telling y'all: beastmaster main, thief sub, surpassing power, put on at least 2 chars, equip immunity items as necessary, face boss, godspeed strike x4, battle over. You may need salvemaker or white mage on one of your other characters to keep things going on the harder battles where this doesn't kill them the first time around, but even that might not be necessary if you put beast/thief on all four of your characters.

This is for a boss with Reflect Phys and that ability annihilates Thieves and Beastmasters, plus it’s not a counter so it can’t be evaded :(

Hyper Crab Tank
Feb 10, 2014

The 16-bit retro-future of crustacean-based transportation
I just dealt with the few instances of reflect phys by just... constantly spamming all-party reraise and letting the reflect kill my characters. Godspeed Strike and Ninefold Flurry are just that good.

Dirk the Average
Feb 7, 2012

"This may have been a mistake."

Hyper Crab Tank posted:

I just dealt with the few instances of reflect phys by just... constantly spamming all-party reraise and letting the reflect kill my characters. Godspeed Strike and Ninefold Flurry are just that good.

This. The best counter to reflect physical is Arise.

LiefKatano
Aug 31, 2018

I swear, by my sword and capote, that I will once again prove victorious!!

Russad posted:

There are at least 2 dungeons with effects.

One has poison bushes that damage you if you walk through them (but you can cut them with a sword swipe).

The other has vents on the floor that periodically release steam and absolutely annihilate your HP.
I don't think the poison bushes can be cut down? Even if you could it'd be incredibly tedious.

...That said I'm almost certain those are the only two dungeons with effects that interact with Dungeon Master.

Pollyanna posted:

I’m not gonna lie, I’m getting real sick of running around this beach just to adjust my party away from physical and towards magical for a single boss.

If it's because the boss has Reflect Physical Damage: don't bother. Worst comes to worst just toss a phoenix down to your physical attackers (or cast Raise/Arise if you already have a white mage handy).

Physical damage is so overtuned (or, at least, magic damage is so undertuned) that it's way easier just to brute force your way through it.

ate shit on live tv
Feb 15, 2004

by Azathoth
Will a shield master absorb the physical reflect?

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

Not if the damage is so high that the reflect one or two-shots you.

Maybe I’ll give Reraise a go...

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

Pollyanna posted:

This is for a boss with Reflect Phys and that ability annihilates Thieves and Beastmasters, plus its not a counter so it cant be evaded :(

If it's one of the portal refights I'm thinking of, you can still Off the Chain monsters with Darkga and Banishga on them (since while physical-based OTCs will get reflected, magic based ones still won't) for 9999 damage a pop. You can get Banishga from the little wizard guys in the ruined lab in Rimedahl (Ruined Mageling I think they are) and I believe you can get Darkga from the little wizard guys (Midnight Wizzy I think) in the crashed airship in Halcyonia.
I think I just combined that with one guy just doing the Godspeed Strike anyway, eating the damage, and reviving since, with that one attack shaving off 25-30k a pop, they're gonna go down eventually.

raditts fucked around with this message at 20:49 on Mar 24, 2021

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

Pollyanna posted:

It's ok, I tackled the person who was holding a gun to your head. You can stop grinding magic jobs for a single boss that doesn't need magic jobs to beat.

Even if counter savvy can't mitigate it, drop a nuke on the boss, raise, repeat. It'll still be faster than relying on magic which is pretty bad unfortunately.

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

You try to be happy when everyone is summoning you everywhere to "be their friend".

Dirk the Average posted:

This. The best counter to reflect physical is Arise.

(Re)Raise. :eng101: Can't be cover scammed for if you're at full HP.

Russad
Feb 19, 2011

LiefKatano posted:

I don't think the poison bushes can be cut down? Even if you could it'd be incredibly tedious.

...That said I'm almost certain those are the only two dungeons with effects that interact with Dungeon Master.

You can, and it is.

And yeah, pretty sure those are the only 2 environmental hazards. It’s pretty dumb.

Kin
Nov 4, 2003

Sometimes, in a city this dirty, you need a real hero.
Is there a better JP grinding spot in chapter 5 than the world map snake boss that's in the Savalon dungeon?

I can kill it and the mobs in one round which nets about 540JP a fight with the passives, and it's quick to respawn be reentering and leaving the dungeon.

It looks like you can fully level a job up after about 10 fights or so doing this, but wasn't sure if there's a boss that's just as quick to farm/kill with more JP to give.

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Wearer of Compasses. Slayer of Gods. Champion of the Colosseum. Heart of the Void.
Saviour of Hallownest.

Pollyanna posted:

You can dispel physical counters with Freelancer iirc.

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

Kin posted:

Is there a better JP grinding spot in chapter 5 than the world map snake boss that's in the Savalon dungeon?

I can kill it and the mobs in one round which nets about 540JP a fight with the passives, and it's quick to respawn be reentering and leaving the dungeon.

It looks like you can fully level a job up after about 10 fights or so doing this, but wasn't sure if there's a boss that's just as quick to farm/kill with more JP to give.

Takes me about 1m14s to get 314 base jp, so it looks like 314/1.25 = 251 JP/M. That assumes you can one-round it which isn’t a given for where I am. So that already makes it unreliable compared to beach farming, which gives something like base 1100*3 = 3300 per character each time you do it. Then again, I haven’t run the numbers for beach farming, plus there’s an embarrassing amount of downtime waiting for the enemies to respawn and for the bait to wear off, plus the time it takes to get those fuckers up top.

Edit: Did a couple beach farms runs. Beach farming takes me about 4.5 minutes end to end, netting me 1330 base jp. With the consecutive battle bonus, that jumps to 3990 base jp. 3990 base jp/4.5 minutes = ~887 jp/m. That’s actually a lot faster than I expected...and don’t forget that’s per character rather than total.

So yeah, beach farming wins out.

Pollyanna fucked around with this message at 00:05 on Mar 25, 2021

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Yeah the beach is just so good for JP farming that I wonder if anyone ever noticed during testing or if they did and decided "this is exactly what a job-heavy game should have so keep it."

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

They had to have noticed. JP grinding to Godspeed Strike and Level Slash + associated abilities is the only way to get past some of the later bosses. It’s integral to the game.

Kin
Nov 4, 2003

So from what i gathered on youtube, the beach farming is just corralling the low level enemies into a group and killing them all at once right? The video looked kinda tedious and the guy seemed like he only got 1100 EXP total, not base before multiplier?

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

Kin posted:

So from what i gathered on youtube, the beach farming is just corralling the low level enemies into a group and killing them all at once right? The video looked kinda tedious and the guy seemed like he only got 1100 EXP total, not base before multiplier?

JP, and that number is applied to each of the four characters, IIRC. Entirely possible that I’m wrong. But yes, it’s tedious, and somehow still the fastest method. :sigh:

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

You try to be happy when everyone is summoning you everywhere to "be their friend".

Natural 20 posted:

You can dispel physical counters with Freelancer iirc.

Inherent Reflect Physical Damage cannot be dispelled.

This comes up in the Bastion refight, as well as the optional superboss.

Kin
Nov 4, 2003

Pollyanna posted:

JP, and that number is applied to each of the four characters, IIRC. Entirely possible that I’m wrong. But yes, it’s tedious, and somehow still the fastest method. :sigh:

Hmm, i'm not really convinced it's faster than the boss farm.

Like, i can kill that boss in well under a minute with my party and the then i'm able to respawn it pretty quickly compared to that route of moving the enemies about the beach.

It felt like that took ages because they kept getting stuck in the walls and such. Also, for the reward at the end is the 3x multiplier not already included in the total it's giving you?

For example, when it says you get 1000jp, that's not 1000*3*1.7=5100jp, it's actually 333*3*1.7= 1700jp isn't it?

When i did it, i think my job levels only went from about 5 to 8 which is way less than 5000jp.

berenzen
Jan 23, 2012

Pollyanna posted:

Takes me about 1m14s to get 314 base jp, so it looks like 314/1.25 = 251 JP/M. That assumes you can one-round it which isn’t a given for where I am. So that already makes it unreliable compared to beach farming, which gives something like base 1100*3 = 3300 per character each time you do it. Then again, I haven’t run the numbers for beach farming, plus there’s an embarrassing amount of downtime waiting for the enemies to respawn and for the bait to wear off, plus the time it takes to get those fuckers up top.

Edit: Did a couple beach farms runs. Beach farming takes me about 4.5 minutes end to end, netting me 1330 base jp. With the consecutive battle bonus, that jumps to 3990 base jp. 3990 base jp/4.5 minutes = ~887 jp/m. That’s actually a lot faster than I expected...and don’t forget that’s per character rather than total.

So yeah, beach farming wins out.

That math seems off, it takes me more than 2 fights to max out a job when I did beach farming (it's ~6000 jp to go from job level level 1 to level 12)

berenzen fucked around with this message at 02:27 on Mar 25, 2021

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

That’s my best guess. :shrug: The math is rather opaque, I wish they just gave us the formula on screen.

Possibly related to my bad math, but does Sub-Job BP Saver work with Steal Courage? It’s supposed to reduce the cost of BP skills by 1 (so 1 BP cost -> free), but I still get charged one BP for using it as Phantom. It costs 2 BP at base, fuuuuck.

Edit: late chapter 5 boss fight: you gain BP every time I hit you with a physical attack????? are you serious??? gently caress off and die

Edit 2: the cutscene after: https://youtu.be/yfelqZpapZA

Edit 3: hahahahahahahahahahaha

Pollyanna fucked around with this message at 03:52 on Mar 25, 2021

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

I don't need friends! I've been
manipulatin' you since the start!
All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

Oh my loving god (chapter 6 spoilers)

ANOTHER FAKE OUT ENDING?!? REALLY GAME?!?

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

Per usual, I hate JRPG minigames

BnD is frustrating. Old lady was easy. Boy is considerably harder.

I watched this but I don't understand, at all

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hpz1JVQvRgA

GreenBuckanneer fucked around with this message at 04:17 on Mar 25, 2021

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

Okay, answer me exactly one thing.

Do I really need to master all jobs on all characters in order to progress past chapter 5?

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Pollyanna posted:

Okay, answer me exactly one thing.

Do I really need to master all jobs on all characters in order to progress past chapter 5?

No. I'm not sure what makes you think that you'd need to. Sometimes you just need to walk away from a bad situation. :v:

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

I’m not sure if I want to mouse over that or try and figure it out myself.

Edit: got it. Figured it’d be more complex than that. Guess I overthought it.

Edit: there’s more job levels??? :gonk:

Pollyanna fucked around with this message at 04:52 on Mar 25, 2021

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

5:9 vs the young man is crushing

Ragequit
Jun 1, 2006

Lipstick Apathy
Boy super bosses do not gently caress around in this game. I am struggling big time at level 50 and have only cleared one gate so far.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

Ragequit posted:

Boy super bosses do not gently caress around in this game. I am struggling big time at level 50 and have only cleared one gate so far.

Some of them are definitely easier than others.

(all spoilers for end/postgame) The Thief, Beastmaster, Bard, Gambler one is one of the easiest, and the Beastmaster's spear is insanely useful for a healer or buffer. That said, if you can crack it, the Phantom, Hellblade, Monk gate is the most important to farm because of the Hellblade sword being completely bonkers good.

Consider taking time out to unseal your bloody shields, too because the result makes your tank nigh-to-invincible.